Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what pirate radio stations are on in cork at the moment?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭radioguru02

Anglers wrote: »
    It was reported back to PLAY that Comreg have received complains about TRUE. Hence the move off 87.8fm.

Only 0.1MHz though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I don't know the landscape down in Cork, but surely two stations on top of each other (or even just 0.1 apart) seems like a bad idea. Can you even listen to them driving around? I would imagine they just cut in and out across each other.

JDxtra wrote: »
    I don't know the landscape down in Cork, but surely two stations on top of each other (or even just 0.1 apart) seems like a bad idea. Can you even listen to them driving around? I would imagine they just cut in and out across each other.

To put it in Dublin terms, Play seem to have as little technical knowledge as Hot and obviously think moving up 0.1MHz will fix everything

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Anglers

To put it in Dublin terms, Play seem to have as little technical knowledge as Hot and obviously think moving up 0.1MHz will fix everything

Really. That lets me know how little you actually know about the whats going on with the stations in cork. TRUE are 15+ km outside off the city. So yes moving one 0.1mhz does make all the difference. Also if you do some on the ground research you would know this instead of using your keyboard. true sound qaulity is as bad as Hot in dublin. So before you comment make sure you know instead of making statments like the above. PLAY do know what they're doing. More then you will ever know. No harm, just think the next time before you compare a station to another

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Really. That lets me know how little you actually know about the whats going on with the stations in cork. TRUE are 15+ km outside off the city. So yes moving one 0.1mhz does make all the difference. Also if you do some on the ground research you would know this instead of using your keyboard. true sound qaulity is as bad as Hot in dublin. So before you comment make sure you know instead of making statments like the above. PLAY do know what they're doing. More then you will ever know. No harm, just think the next time before you compare a station to another

Please refrain from attacking posters in future. Debate the post not the poster

Having stations less than 0.3MHz apart within any close range of each other is bad practice and leads to interference. This can be mitigated somewhat by using synchronous transmission if the same service is on both frequencies but that's not the case here.

Try broadcasting on 96.5 or 106.2 in Cork City and my point will very quickly be proven

• Advertisement

As the saying goes, only time will tell :)

marno21 wrote: »
    Please refrain from attacking posters in future. Debate the post not the poster

Having stations less than 0.3MHz apart within any close range of each other is bad practice and leads to interference. This can be mitigated somewhat by using synchronous transmission if the same service is on both frequencies but that's not the case here.

Try broadcasting on 96.5 or 106.2 in Cork City and my point will very quickly be proven

PLAY are fully awear how it all works.
    Things are tight in cork with frequencies.
    The best option for play was to do the actions they did.
    TRUE are not in the city and are 15km outside on low power and from a low lying area and very very weak signal not even audible in the city, PLAY are in the city. They move up one and it has cleaned up everything. PLAY started on 87.8 and True turned on. On top of them and it was causing interference in parts towards the direction of where True are broadcasting from. So the forthcoming complains to Comreg PLAY moved and dont wannt be accoistated with the same frequency. I get what you are saying but the distant is out weighting the +3mhz certainty from PLAY prospective.

PLAY are fully awear how it all works.
    Things are tight in cork with frequencies.
    The best option for play was to do the actions they did.
    TRUE are not in the city and are 15km outside on low power and from a low lying area and very very weak signal not even audible in the city, PLAY are in the city. They move up one and it has cleaned up everything. PLAY started on 87.8 and True turned on. On top of them and it was causing interference in parts towards the direction of where True are broadcasting from. So the forthcoming complains to Comreg PLAY moved and dont wannt be accoistated with the same frequency. I get what you are saying but the distant is out weighting the +3mhz certainty from PLAY prospective.

In actual fact True were on 87.8 for months before Play officially launched. True have had a strong signal in most of East Cork and there has been intersection in parts of the city of late and as a result of a recent power increase True have reduced Play’s coverage area greatly, which no one here is condoning. You must also remember that Play were robbed
    Bottom line is that the two stations should not be broadcasting on the same or neighbouring freqs

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Listening to Play 87.9 this evening and it is a good sounding operation with strong clear signal - fair play on that

Cork this evening:
    Klub 87.5
    Play 87.9
    Cityview 97.6
    DHR 104.9

Play coming in very strong here in West Waterford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Music Radio Head

In actual fact True were on 87.8 for months before Play officially launched. True have had a strong signal in most of East Cork and there has been intersection in parts of the city of late and as a result of a recent power increase True have reduced Play’s coverage area greatly, which no one here is condoning. You must also remember that Play were robbed
    Bottom line is that the two stations should not be broadcasting on the same or neighbouring freqs
    When Play FM are off Air, TRUE Blast into The city & most of the county so there height must be OK to be able to do that. I checked True 87.8FM First Post on there Facebook page last night. They Started off as a internet Radio Station In Feb 2017 & then in July they went on Air on 87.8FM They had problems along the way but kept it going, and got better over time. They went off just before Christmas with Technical difficulties. Came back on just after new year. Play were on a few years ago but could not stay on air consistently. True has been on pretty much all the time when they have not had technical problems. This Radio Wars thing that's been going on shows that True are capable of funding There Station when things go wrong. The Jingle package True has is very good they don't have live shows, but The shows they do have are world classic DJ podcasts.

Play 87.9 off or on reduced power.

Cork tonight
    87.5 - Klub FM
    87.8 - True FM
    87.9 - Play FM

Klub 87.5 is to leave the airwaves a week from today to make way for a new station called ‘Power 87 FM’

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Music Radio Head

Klub was a Good Station. Sorry to see them go.

Power 87 goes live from 6pm this eve

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

My favourite ever pirate radio station ever was radio friendly 104.6 fm

I used to listen to it in the 90's I think Stevie G was there,along with Muckka Greg and Shane would do the odd Saturday evening before sweat...

I have around 8 90 minutes tape recordings at home of radio friendly show's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Power 87 goes live from 6pm this eve

Any line up announcement? Have they website?

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Any line up announcement? Have they website?

James K, who I believe runs it, is up first anyways. Outside of social media there’s just this stream:
    https://www.liveradio.ie/stations/power-87

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

James Kay, who I believe runs it, is up first anyways. Outside of social media there’s just this stream:
    https://www.liveradio.ie/stations/power-87

What’s the social links?

• Advertisement

MrMac84 wrote: »
    What’s the social links?

Facebook is at:
    https://www.facebook.com/power87fm/

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mrdhr

DHR back on 104.9FM - Enjoy :)

PLAY 87.9FM to cease boardcasting on FM and Online saturday the 14th of OCT 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

PLAY 87.9FM to cease boardcasting on FM and Online saturday the 14th of OCT 2018.

they are actually offline currently and have been since yesterday. best of luck to all involved in it.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Oh, any reason given? Social pages don't seem to mention it. Could it be a re-brand like Kiss changing to Power?

JDxtra wrote: »
    Oh, any reason given? Social pages don't seem to mention it. Could it be a re-brand like Kiss changing to Power?

I thought Power was a separate entity to Klub... until Klub’s owner was the second DJ they had on the night of the launch

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Scotty66

In other countries Pirates have been encouraged to go legal by using DAB. I wonder if Play will be joining the new Cork multiplex?

Scotty66 wrote: »
    In other countries Pirates have been encouraged to go legal by using DAB. I wonder if Play will be joining the new Cork multiplex?

It has been rumoured that an underground dance music station is to join the mux

• Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I thought Power was a separate entity to Klub... until Klub’s owner was the second DJ they had on the night of the launch

it could still be a different station. previous owner sells up and joins the new station as a dj.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

it could still be a different station. previous owner sells up and joins the new station as a dj.

True, but I get the impression he still plays a major role in the station

Advertisement