Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eurovision Song Contest 2019

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 tempmailtest mail

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Rock and Roll kids was a fantastic time. We should go back to basics. This year's entry was absolutely dire and so bland beyond belief. The song itself made no sense.
    Song made perfect sense, altough heres a better song along the same theme...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

We should just try and send the best song we can, feck trying to win it, let’s just use it to promote Ireland and Irish culture/music.

I’d be in favour of sending a trad band every year with a proper trad song, not a token bodhran in a silly pop song or the like, proper musicians with fiddles and the like, even instrumental pieces with no singing.

We have created and can create some unbelievable music in Ireland. Why not do that again.
    Fcuk trying to win it because as soon as we try to do that we just end up sending sh1te that finishes last. Just use it as a promotion tool for Irish culture. Best we can hope for or expect is to reach the grand final each year thus garnering more promotion.

How about a 5 year rotation of song selections;

Year 1: trad Irish style song, Irish dancers and all
    Year 2: Irish rock/indie song by a real band allowed to do what they want.
    Year 3: Singer/songwriter style song (ala Hozier)
    Year 4: Louis Walsh style pop song/ballad
    Year 5: Eurotrash: give the Eurovision what it wants (techno & dancing pints of Guinness)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

That was a great Eurovision final last night. The standard of songs on the night were fantastic.

I was really disappointed to hear that Ireland didn't do well at the contest this year. Even though I liked the song from Sarah McTiernan; the song was definitely not strong enough to win at Eurovision going by the jury & public votes given to it. We got the same as the UK in terms of placing & in points for the same year of the contest. To hear something like that, when those two entries this year tried to put some effort into it, is painful.

Ah well. What I can say after that outcome. Not very much to be honest. It wasn't to be this year but there is a telling argument that both Ireland & the UK got what they deserved after putting in their efforts for the contest in Tel Aviv. It may say that we are like two peas in a pod in how the voting went for both Ireland & the UK this year. It was disappointing but not without getting consequences in how their songs are submitted. The reform of the process for submitting songs in both countries is very well needed by both RTÉ & the BBC to gain some sort of realistic chance of winning Eurovision in future. But I don't know how both broadcasters could reform it so it wouldn't discriminate against song submissions from artists & songwriters.

The other entrants out there like Switzerland, San Marino, Italy, Norway, Spain & The Netherlands were brilliant during the final last night.

The bit were some of the past winners sang the other winners songs last night were really good too. I enjoyed that immensely.

The worst part of the night came from Madonna's performance. Christ. It really was awful stuff hearing her songs out of tune on stage last night.

• Site Banned Posts: 297 ✭✭NKante

It wasn't to be this year but there is a telling argument that both Ireland & the UK got what they deserved after putting in their efforts for the contest in Tel Aviv. It may say that we are like two peas in a pod in how the voting went for both Ireland & the UK this year. It was disappointing but not without getting consequences in how their songs are submitted. The reform of the process for submitting songs in both countries is very well needed by both RTÉ & the BBC to gain some sort of realistic chance of winning Eurovision in future. But I don't know how both broadcasters could reform it so it wouldn't discriminate against song submissions from artists & songwriters.

I don't know how you choose in Ireland, but at least in the UK we get to choose from a selection of pre-selected songs.

Yet despite having far better options, the UK public decided that Michael's "bigger than us" dirge that was at least 20 years out of date, would be the perfect Eurovision entry.

So the public have to take some of the blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,272 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Crazy preformers like Lordi, Ruslana and even last years winner seem to do well.

Maybe we should try that!

• Advertisement

NKante wrote: »
    I don't know how you choose in Ireland, but at least in the UK we get to choose from a selection of pre-selected songs.

Yet despite having far better options, the UK public decided that Michael's "bigger than us" dirge that was at least 20 years out of date, would be the perfect Eurovision entry.

So the public have to take some of the blame.

The selection process was very low key here this year, I'd heard nothing about it until Sarah was announced as our entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,989 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The Irish girl was really popular in Tel Aviv among the other contestants and on the Eurovision circuit in general. She had some personality to her.

If she'd been given an actual decent song and more support, she'd have done well on the promotional tour and thus come into Eurovision with more hype. As it was, the hype around her song was mainly how badly it was going to flop. Same with the German girls.

It would be very unfair to blame Sarah anyway. She wasn't responsible for the song or staging and wasn't even the original singer of '22'. The buck totally stops with rte.

The selection process was very low key here this year, I'd heard nothing about it until Sarah was announced as our entry.
    Yeah and the announcement was made really late compared to other countries too. It was all a bit weird.
    Strazdas wrote: »
    It would be very unfair to blame Sarah anyway. She wasn't responsible for the song or staging and wasn't even the original singer of '22'. The buck totally stops with rte.

I actually thought the staging was good. The graphics in particular. Not much else they could have done with that song other than maybe put her on roller skates as a gimmick, as it suited the 'bubble gum' type staging and song.

Ah well, at least the Irish and Brits can bond over being utterly inept at Eurovision for the last two decades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Political or neighbourly voting doesn't work too well if you're out on the margins of Europe, so that works against Irl and UK. What neighbouring countries are going to vote for Ireland, the Brits and that's about it?

Ah I don't know, it's a bit of a laugh. We need to play to our strengths and give the other European voters a dose of the stereotypical cliched views of us. Drunken paddies, up for the craic, cailíns in nice short dresses showing a bit of leg and bosom. That'd get us a few votes but RTE would be incapable of trying something like that.

The point is that the countries that do benefit from it only get it from a handful of countries so if they’re no good, they’re not going to get anywhere even with those few allies. If they do well outside of their allies, then the song was liked. Like I said, political voting happened during all Ireland’s ‘90s wins. The voting for each is up on YouTube. And Ireland and the UK used to trade high points a lot. Let’s not pretend we never benefitted from political voting.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Crazy preformers like Lordi, Ruslana and even last years winner seem to do well.

Maybe we should try that!
    I wouldn't call Netta crazy.

And Verka did a better job on Netta's song too.

Salvador in 2017 was the opposite of a crazy performer.
    No dancers. No costume. No big gestures. Nothing.
    Like he threw on a clean shirt and showed up in what he usually wears.

And then stood there and sang in a weird Russian sounding language.

• Advertisement

I actually thought the staging was good. The graphics in particular. Not much else they could have done with that song other than maybe put her on roller skates as a gimmick, as it suited the 'bubble gum' type staging and song.

Ah well, at least the Irish and Brits can bond over being utterly inept at Eurovision for the last two decades.

I thought the staging of 22 was absolutely fine. The main problem seemed to be the song itself - perhaps it was too quiet and understated for Eurovision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Strazdas wrote:
    I thought the staging of 22 was absolutely fine. The main problem seemed to be the song itself - perhaps it was too quiet and understated for Eurovision.

It was complete rubbish and coming Paddy last seems like everyone in Europe agree

• Registered Users Posts: 71,628 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Really enjoyed last night’s show...and the thread even more. :)

Norway is the song that has stuck with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

I see your spirit in the sky,
    When Northern lights are dancing
    He-lo E Loi La.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,490 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

We should just try and send the best song we can, feck trying to win it, let’s just use it to promote Ireland and Irish culture/music.

I’d be in favour of sending a trad band every year with a proper trad song, not a token bodhran in a silly pop song or the like, proper musicians with fiddles and the like, even instrumental pieces with no singing.

We have created and can create some unbelievable music in Ireland. Why not do that again.
    Fcuk trying to win it because as soon as we try to do that we just end up sending sh1te that finishes last. Just use it as a promotion tool for Irish culture. Best we can hope for or expect is to reach the grand final each year thus garnering more promotion.

How about a 5 year rotation of song selections;

Year 1: trad Irish style song, Irish dancers and all
    Year 2: Irish rock/indie song by a real band allowed to do what they want.
    Year 3: Singer/songwriter style song (ala Hozier)
    Year 4: Louis Walsh style pop song/ballad
    Year 5: Eurotrash: give the Eurovision what it wants (techno & dancing pints of Guinness)

I don't think an instrumental would win. It would only be a backing track anyway, since they don't allow live instruments. We sent Dervish one year and they came last.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

How San Marino got through is a greater mystery than how they got the figs into the fig rolls

Maybe it was written by Jim Figgerty!

(don't know which of us is the more decrepit. If you get that reference, it's you! )

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I don't think an instrumental would win. It would only be a backing track anyway, since they don't allow live instruments. We sent Dervish one year and they came last.

The Irish girl won it for Norway in 1995 (?) playing the violin in an instrumental piece, but they were indeed different times, and an instrumental piece would indeed have no chance these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

San Marino had a terrible singer but the song was fun and memorable. Lots of my friends said they didn't like it but could hum it after Tues and could remember very few others. I liked it. Came in top 10 in Tele vote

Say Na na na.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,485 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

So Ireland came last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

San Marino had a terrible singer but the song was fun and memorable. Lots of my friends said they didn't like it but could hum it after Tues and could remember very few others. I liked it. Came in top 10 in Tele vote

Say Na na na.

Definitely an earworm, heard it on YouTube a few weeks back and it's been stuck in my head since, crap lyrics but a damn catchy feel good melody, came across OK on the video but he didn't half butcher it in both live performances.
    I'm guessing the Turkish diaspora scattered around Europe had the mobiles worn out from voting for their compatriot as they were not in the contest themselves.

• Advertisement

Norway with a 244 point discrepancy between the jury vote and the public vote.

The people wanted Norway! I've had it on loop for most of the day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,823 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

They were robbed , it was a fix :D

And for next years entry for Ireland , how many of ye can sing ??
    There's an idea , now someone run with it !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Mam of 4 wrote: »

And for next years entry for Ireland , how many of ye can sing ??

A crow would do a better job singing than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,823 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    A crow would do a better job singing than me.

Me too , but in all honesty , look at how bad Madonna was too :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Credit where credit is due! Can you nominate a replacement with equal experience?

Not to worry! Your seat(s) in the Begrudgers' Gallery are safe.

A fat joke? Stay classy :rolleyes:

Also, calling me a begrudger makes no sense. Maybe when you're at school tomorrow you can go to the library and look it up in the dictionary, good man yourself.

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Me too , but in all honesty , look at how bad Madonna was too :p

Yeah compared to the original video of Like a Prayer last nights performance was dire.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

To the people that are defending the Irish song and performance, please open your eyes. It was the musical equivalent of diarrhoea.

Judging by the results the whole of Europe agreed.

I see your spirit in the sky,
    When Northern lights are dancing
    He-lo E Loi La.

I assumed that wouldn't be particularly popular with the public before the Contest, but it actually sounded great live and they looked like they were having a great time up there. It probably was the best uptempo song this year.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The Irish girl won it for Norway in 1995 (?) playing the violin in an instrumental piece, but they were indeed different times, and an instrumental piece would indeed have no chance these days.
    No it wasn't fully instrumental.

There were 24 words of singing too

• Advertisement

Here's a silver lining for Sarah and Irish Eurofans: Sweden: Lina Hedlund accidentally placed her favourite last in the semi-final

One of the Swedish jurors ranked her scores in the semi-final arseways, so put her least favourite in first place, her second least favourite in second place, and so on until putting her favourite (The Netherlands) in last place. Her least favourite was Austria, which got 8 points from the Swedish jury; 8 points that they wouldn't have received if that juror hadn't made a haims of it! :pac: Subtract those 8 mistakenly-received points and it's Austria, not Ireland, who should have finished last in that semi-final. So we were only the second worst! \o/ :D

Now I seem to be in the minority that actually quite liked Austria, and I certainly think their song was better than ours, but still; better for them to be last than us! :p

Advertisement