Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Chitchat 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

Last nights milk line washings went into the tank. Rince, acid, rince.
    About 10k litres of milk in the tank and about 150L water and a half litre of acid...what to do?

Failed to contact Coop, then again it is a Saturday morning and what eegits would be working at 6am?

Suggestions?

Dilution is the solution

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,852 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

C4d78 wrote: »
    €80Margin?? On a tonne of feed? Impossible. They’ve to pay for raw materials, compounding and transport. Am I missing something?

Ring around a few places for prices. You'll be amazed at the difference. That's why I can't fathom out why some lads just order feed, never ask the price. They must have money to burn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Dilution is the solution

Great minds...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Last nights milk line washings went into the tank. Rince, acid, rince.
    About 10k litres of milk in the tank and about 150L water and a half litre of acid...what to do?

Failed to contact Coop, then again it is a Saturday morning and what eegits would be working at 6am?

Suggestions?

Oh jesus!

Taste test?!

Oh jesus!

Taste test?!

Lol.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

alps wrote: »
    Cops are charging an €80 margin to the unsuspecting farmer at present...

Elaborate please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭jaymla627

K.G. wrote: »
    Elaborate please

A iffy 16% dairy nut with some very cheap fillers like pk/whey premate/and oats husks for example that glanbia love to use with say maize/hulls/distillers to make up the rest of the mix is costing them sub 200 euro to cube and mix including minerals at present, would be going out to farmers at 270 a ton plus if they weren’t questioning them on it

jaymla627 wrote: »
    A iffy 16% dairy nut with some very cheap fillers like pk/whey premate/and oats husks for example that glanbia love to use with say maize/hulls/distillers to make up the rest of the mix is costing them sub 200 euro to cube and mix including minerals at present, would be going out to farmers at 270 a ton plus if they weren’t questioning them on it

Yeah so you're talking gross margin .thats 30 % or so which isnt out of the way in any business and then you have transport staff costs overheads etc.dont get me wrong they are not going broke but that 80 eurp wouldnt ne long disappearing. Its only farmers that look at gross margin and forget about labour and overhead costs. In my view therr isnt alot in it aftrrwards.a fella told one lately
    He only buys form one place because when he had poor barley they wouldnt take it whereas he said he d never buy off the place that took it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Yeah so you're talking gross margin .thats 30 % or so which isnt out of the way in any business and then you have transport staff costs overheads etc.dont get me wrong they are not going broke but that 80 eurp wouldnt ne long disappearing. Its only farmers that look at gross margin and forget about labour and overhead costs. In my view therr isnt alot in it aftrrwards.a fella told one lately
    He only buys form one place because when he had poor barley they wouldnt take it whereas he said he d never buy off the place that took it.
    Any millers that I ever came across were multi millionaires.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well it's a gross margin of €1,600 on a 20T load. How many deliveries a day would the lorry and driver get done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭alps

Water John wrote: »
    Well it's a gross margin of €1,600 on a 20T load. How many deliveries a day would the lorry and driver get done?

Typically 2 loads a day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

What should I be paying for a good 16 with no fillers.

mf240 wrote: »
    What should I be paying for a good 16 with no fillers.

265 max and only if soya bean meal is the protein source, if rapeseed meal/golden grain distillers is been used I wouldn’t pay above 250, definitely scope for another 15-20 euro to come off these prices once we get a normal summer and mills remain quiet, lost the head with a meal rep re prices last month and the excuse of forward bought grain been the reason they hadn’t dropped, he still dropped it 20 euro a ton when I threatened to never buy another load of him again....

Any millers that I ever came across were multi millionaires.

And sher all farmer's have plenty money.gross margin is one thing net margin is another.anyway all im saying is a gross margin of 30 % is the minimum i d expect in almost any business and could easily see it disappearing in costs.how do ye think it costs to run a bulk lorry open to correction but id say 700 aday is a fair shout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well €3,200 - 700 = €2,500/day clear.

And sher all farmer's have plenty money.gross margin is one thing net margin is another.anyway all im saying is a gross margin of 30 % is the minimum i d expect in almost any business and could easily see it disappearing in costs.how do ye think it costs to run a bulk lorry open to correction but id say 700 aday is a fair shout.

We run a bulk blower here at cement, and rates are 10 euro a ton within 50km of factory up to 17 euro if you’ve to go over 100km, not a lot of mills run their own lorries, 10 euro a ton would be the max most would be giving in rates to hauliers, glanbia where only paying 7 euro a ton till recently but now they can’t get lorries given their piss-talking with rates

Well off ye go boys money ill be rolling in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Well off ye go boys money ill be rolling in

We own at least 60% of this glanbia Ireland so wouldn't it be easier to be getting 50% of the profit back instead?
    Let them retain 10% for maintenance and use their brains to spend it wisely,we pay them enough,so I assume it's for brains...

Mortelaro wrote: »
    We own at least 60% of this glanbia Ireland so wouldn't it be easier to be getting 50% of the profit back instead?
    Let them retain 10% for maintenance and use their brains to spend it wisely,we pay them enough,so I assume it's for brains...

The funds to do it are their at the minute alright re 100 million share loan, but when that’s paid back in 2021 I think, their buying power and ability to give silly amounts of extended credit will be fairly constrained, not exactly rolling in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭visatorro

Is anyone still going with urea? Wou it be alright to spread this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

visatorro wrote: »

Used protected urea + s last round will go with it again.

Would you go with the regular stuff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

What's protected urea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

2 pallets of yarra amidas (40% n 5%s )that’s going out today after that protected urea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Reggie. wrote: »
    What's protected urea

It's regular urea coated or infused with an inhibitor that slows the urea granule breaking down in dry weather.

It was first trialled and used in New Zealand. It's Teagasc's answer to saving the planet.
    Hearing chatter though that the inhibitor is showing up in milk samples out there just as we start on that journey.

• Advertisement

It's regular urea coated or infused with an inhibitor that slows the urea granule breaking down in dry weather.

It was first trialled and used in New Zealand. It's Teagasc's answer to saving the planet.
    Hearing chatter though that the inhibitor is showing up in milk samples out there just as we start on that journey.

Concern about the inhibitor and also harder on the environment in its production, but at least those emissions are elsewhere..

When derogation is scraped it will throw the cat among the pigeons, reckon it’s time to start getting very friendly with your local tillage farmers to export slurry too, god knows what money rental ground will go too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Concern about the inhibitor and also harder on the environment in its production, but at least those emissions are elsewhere..

Concerns about it's impact on nitrogen fixing bacteria in the soil and becoming even more reliant on the bag as a result.
    Ah shur look I've gone out with a round of it myself this year.
    Don't think I will anymore though. Too risky imo till I'm fully sure of no risk.

When derogation is scraped it will throw the cat among the pigeons, reckon it’s time to start getting very friendly with your local tillage farmers to export slurry too, god knows what money rental ground will go too

OR just Retire and let the new young slaves new entrants&the more unsustainable rapid expanders have at it chasing the ever reducing margin(if any)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

It remind me of a Cranberries album.

Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We?

• Advertisement

Milk recording today. New system after coming in. Samples only taken once a day. Recorder has a hand held device and she records the yields on it. So no samples taken this morning they will be taken this evening. Anyone else on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Freejin

whelan2 wrote: »
    Milk recording today. New system after coming in. Samples only taken once a day. Recorder has a hand held device and she records the yields on it. So no samples taken this morning they will be taken this evening. Anyone else on this?

Only sample on the evening collection here with years, DIY electronic meters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭straight

Ya, that system came in here last year. Half the hassle.

Is the evening milking not usually higher in BF and protein than the morning or is that a myth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Is the evening milking not usually higher in BF and protein than the morning or is that a myth?

Samples in evening and measure yield am /pm .ill be honest I’m getting sick of milk recording results especially fats results do be all over the shop on the low side consistently yields and proteins correlate fairly well with coop .my coop report fat last year was 4.23 milk recorded 3.91

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

straight wrote: »
    Ya, that system came in here last year. Half the hassle.

Bf was off by 0.4 compared to collection here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭straight

Mooooo wrote: »
    Bf was off by 0.4 compared to collection here

Mine is never accurate. We take the samples in the morning. Evening is easy then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

straight wrote: »
    Mine is never accurate. We take the samples in the morning. Evening is easy then.

It's such a pain in the arse to do it would prefer if it's done right. Have to do it in dairygold now. Also having issues with low bf here so finding individual cow's with low results can't be done on one sample

That's what she said. Morning milking was quicker, evening about the same she didn't have to go looking for samples.

Mooooo wrote: »
    It's such a pain in the arse to do it would prefer if it's done right. Have to do it in dairygold now. Also having issues with low bf here so finding individual cow's with low results can't be done on one sample

The recorder can do morni g and evening samples if you want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Toetohand

Same as in last round in Mid April. Evening sample morning reading from jar. Results were along same lines. Back a bit quicker with results too.

Would you go with the regular stuff?

Not in this weather

Ah yes, just like the electric car

Concerns about it's impact on nitrogen fixing bacteria in the soil and becoming even more reliant on the bag as a result.
    Ah shur look I've gone out with a round of it myself this year.
    Don't think I will anymore though. Too risky imo till I'm fully sure of no risk.

I’m not doing it for environmental reasons, it’s purely financial. Standard urea is to my mind not suitable atm. Can is expensive per kg of N, protected is in between and get more of a hit.

I’ve water samples (taken monthly) that indicate no threat to catchment. I’m using it to reduce the amount of N we have to buy. I’m not sold on it’s environmental claims but I get better bang for our buck

Test results from two shallow wells. We don’t use these wells and they’re only 3-4m deep.
    This one is in the middle of dairy grazing block.
    The water police take these tests monthly.

This one is from tillage block that’s cultivated since Roman times.
    Both are April results.
    They pretty much stay at constant readings except the iron (fer) can rise after a lot of rain.

Not in this weather

It's out now anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

Test results from two shallow wells. We don’t use these wells and they’re only 3-4m deep.
    This one is in the middle of dairy grazing block.
    The water police take these tests monthly.

Routine across all farms or are you more closely scrutinised after the previous run in.
    How do the fishing trail follow up go

Routine across all farms or are you more closely scrutinised after the previous run in.
    How do the fishing trail follow up go

Routine across all farms in this neck of the woods anyhow. They just arrive on with a petrol engined pump and pump it for a few hours before taking samples.
    Results are emailed, and tbh we don’t even look at them. If there’s a problem I’m sure they’d let you know soon enough.

Took a guy that’s well able to call off the dogs (if he wanted to) to Auteuil on Sunday and schmoozed him up... time will tell what’s going to happen about the ntz infringements.

• Advertisement

Routine across all farms in this neck of the woods anyhow. They just arrive on with a petrol engined pump and pump it for a few hours before taking samples.
    Results are emailed, and tbh we don’t even look at them. If there’s a problem I’m sure they’d let you know soon enough.

Took a guy that’s well able to call off the dogs (if he wanted to) to Auteuil on Sunday and schmoozed him up... time will tell what’s going to happen about the ntz infringements.

Do the powers that be operate a Galway tent there too?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement