Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭visatorro

All my shed gates are sheeted with election posters if that counts

At least some use comes out of them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

All my shed gates are sheeted with election posters if that counts

Come winter time..... election posters are the perfect size for covering the windscreen against frost.
    They’re very handy to have.
    Some of the cabinet doors in the workshop are election posters aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

A giant Maria Walsh looking in at me would def keep the chill away! (The fact she's a lesbian and I'm almost 7 years happily married is irrelevant!!:D :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

visatorro wrote: »
    At least some use comes out of them!

Off topic but in this age of using less plastic and protecting the environment, posters should really be banned.

If they are to be used.
    Then every parish should have an election board or wall where candidates are only allowed one poster be put up and people of the parish can go to view the posters.

Off topic but in this age of using less plastic and protecting the environment, posters should really be banned.

If they are to be used.
    Then every parish should have an election board or wall where candidates are only allowed one poster be put up and people of the parish can go to view the posters.

Politicians will never vote for that. Besides its the only way to know who's running because you'll not see them for a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Politicians will never vote for that. Besides its the only way to know who's running because you'll not see them for a few years.

Peer pressure might change their tune though.

The posters are not recyclable though. The politicians say they are but all end up in landfill.
    (Bar the few changes of use mentioned above). :pac:

There was a time when posters were made from cardboard till they were "improved" to be more weatherproof and now are made from crude oil.:rolleyes:

It's hypocrisy at it's finest for politicians to preach about being concerned about the environment when their posters are blocking some water drain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Theres a female candidate for the co council elections in the Tuam area with "posters" made from white material with her name & picture printed on them.... certainly stands out and probably more environmentally friendly?

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

Election posters are fierce handy for laying on wet ground under a Jeep or truck. Myself and one the lads do a ferocious scavenge on election nights. Gather a stash for the year. Shed full here at home and his yard

Every parish should have an election board or wall where candidates are only allowed one poster be put up and people of the parish can go to view the posters.

This is how they do it on the continent, well in France anyways l think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

TheFarrier wrote: »
    Election posters are fierce handy for laying on wet ground under a Jeep or truck. Myself and one the lads do a ferocious scavenge on election nights. Gather a stash for the year. Shed full here at home and his yard

Canvassers are getting wise to is around here, they only place posters at locations where there is cctv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭Odelay

How easy was it to drive the clipex? Would one man drive them? How did they fair out with stones? Did you have to pull any out an try a different spot?

I’d like to try them but there is a fair amount of stones in the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭emaherx

Odelay wrote: »
    How easy was it to drive the clipex? Would one man drive them? How did they fair out with stones? Did you have to pull any out an try a different spot?

I’d like to try them but there is a fair amount of stones in the ground.

Wouldn't be very stoney soil around here. They were very easy driven, put up the fence by myself in a couple of hours. The only issue where I hit some stones was the post tended to twist around slightly making it a bit harder to clip in the wire, but none of them were relocated because of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭Odelay

emaherx wrote: »
    Wouldn't be very stoney soil around here. They were very easy driven, put up the fence by myself in a couple of hours. The only issue where I hit some stones was the post tended to twist around slightly making it a bit harder to clip in the wire, but none of them were relocated because of it.

Thanks. And how did you drive them? I’m thinking of using a two handled pipe thing.

Odelay wrote: »
    Thanks. And how did you drive them? I’m thinking of using a two handled pipe thing.

Yes, 2 handle pipe thing and the Clipex sleeve. It's needed or you'll bust the top clips. Hearing protection needed also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,911 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Crush gate I made up. Like a lot of things here, it started out as a simple gate with no head-lock. But then as I was making it, I thought might as well add it. Then thought it could double up as a calving gate if needed. Hardest part was the rachet grooves along the top. A bit of drilling and cutting to shape them.
    There's 3 holes at the bottom to adjust for smaller animals and 2 ropes, one to close the head-lock and one to open the latch.
    Would I be made to galvanise it?

479915.jpg

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement

Fine solid job!! Nothing going to bend that too handy!

Looks like the main frame was made a while?
    Don't tell us.... you pulled it out of a skip at work and repurposed it?! :D:D

Would I be mad to galvanise it?

Galvanising has gone dear. Sperrin in Tynagh not too far from me and would have brought good few bits in the last while. It's the life of any metal.

Saying that, it won't be you that will have to worry about replacing that gate even if it never seen a paintbrush!

Muckit wrote: »
    Fine solid job!! Nothing going to bend that too handy!

Looks like the main frame was made a while?
    Don't tell us.... you pulled it out of a skip at work and repurposed it?! :D:D

You don't miss much. Ya, main frame made since end of last year. Think I bought the channel for another job. I did buy the top brass pin (€2). But ya, the rest came from the skip that keeps on giving. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭mayota

Tasty bit of welding and cutting on the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭SCOL

I wouldn't mind look into that bin !!! you could sell tickets.

• Advertisement

mayota wrote: »
    Foam blobber for sprayer. Less than €20. Works a treat with fairy liquid.

Try a picture.

Will that actually work?

Will that actually work?

Couldn’t believe how good it worked. The air needs to blow through the liquid so I attached a small length of pipe to the valve.

Couldn’t believe how good it worked. The air needs to blow through the liquid so I attached a small length of pipe to the valve.

What ratio of washing up liquid to water do you use?

Foam.

What ratio of washing up liquid to water do you use?

About 50:1 I’d say . That’s a 10litre drum and there was about 2.5 liters of water in it to allow room for foam.It got a good long squirt of fairy. The beauty of it is it bearly uses up any of the liquid.

No reason why you couldn't do the same with a fertiliser spreader. just make up a short boom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Foam.

Thats genius and very handy, especially in the evening sun.

Does your tractor have a 12 socket like you'd find in a car?

Mine (MF5455) has two electrical sockets but neither are the standard car type

I missed your first bit, thought it was a spot sprayer !
    So once u turn on 12v compressor does it start blobbing? U just turn t off to stop?

riemann wrote: »
    Thats genius and very handy, especially in the evening sun.

Does your tractor have a 12 socket like you'd find in a car?

Mine (MF5455) has two electrical sockets but neither are the standard car type

The best option would be to put a 7pin trailer socket and use the parking light pin but I got one of these: https://images.app.goo.gl/BRnTtnNFmBZjoP4A8

• Advertisement

I missed your first bit, thought it was a spot sprayer !
    So once u turn on 12v compressor does it start blobbing? U just turn t off to stop?

It’ll start blobbing after about 30 seconds when first turned on and then every 5 or 10 seconds. It stops as soon as switched off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭9935452

Crush gate I made up. Like a lot of things here, it started out as a simple gate with no head-lock. But then as I was making it, I thought might as well add it. Then thought it could double up as a calving gate if needed. Hardest part was the rachet grooves along the top. A bit of drilling and cutting to shape them.
    There's 3 holes at the bottom to adjust for smaller animals and 2 ropes, one to close the head-lock and one to open the latch.

479915.jpg

Nice heavy job.
    Make sure to weld the hinges on it solid so it cant be lifted off the hinges easily.
    We borrowed a mobile crush one day.
    Gate popped open with a 3 year old bullock stuck in it .
    He lifted it off the hinges and took off down the field with it .
    Lad here would only look at the crush gates that open in 2 halves not holding the animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

479915.jpg

Mad not to galvanise it I'd say. Lifetime job

479915.jpg

That's not a gate!

479976.jpg
    This is a gate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

When things get a bit more complicated than you expect...
    https://twitter.com/Bob_Animal/status/1127686512060112896?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Canvassers are getting wise to is around here, they only place posters at locations where there is cctv

Would they not be only too delighted if posters went missing on election night, less for them to have to take down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

If they put tyres on it it might pull like a 4x4 should........................ with out the need of a lump of timber............................................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

5 star guntering here...

Often seen my father doing that yrs ago you have to watch where the air valve is tho can nick it easily

• Advertisement

That's how you got the scraper going in the finish??!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Sligoronan

Best bit of back saveing guntering done in a while.

480660.jpg

That's how you got the scraper going in the finish??!!

Jaysus, don't mention the war!!!!

Coming this week to take it back, they said.

And I believe them....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭pms7

emaherx wrote: »
    Yes, 2 handle pipe thing and the Clipex sleeve. It's needed or you'll bust the top clips. Hearing protection needed also.
    Seen guy that sells them using a engine vibrator about size of chainsaw, it taps them down no bother. Ideal setup if not want to take tractor and post driver on ground over the winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Jaysus, don't mention the war!!!!

Coming this week to take it back, they said.

And I believe them....:rolleyes:

Start cutting it out yourself

pms7 wrote: »
    Seen guy that sells them using a engine vibrator about size of chainsaw, it taps them down no bother. Ideal setup if not want to take tractor and post driver on ground over the winter.

I've seen them too, but they are that easy to drive by hand it wouldn't be worth the bother of carrying the extra weight of the engine. Of course it may be a different story on land different to mine.

• Advertisement

Reggie. wrote: »
    Start cutting it out yourself

It's very tempting but they'll have it out in half a day if they send a good crew.

And 5 weeks if they send the same crew that put it in:(

I'm just going to ignore it as much as possible now, the last few months dealing with it has been stressful enough.

And back to looking for another supplier then...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Bitta welding today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Reggie. wrote: »
    Bitta welding today
    What is it going to turn into?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Base price wrote: »
    What is it going to turn into?
    You should know Reggie by now.... likes to keep us guessing.....
    so I'll start the ball rolling....

Something to hold rolls of bale wrap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭Base price

jimmy G M wrote: »
    You should know Reggie by now.... likes to keep us guessing.....
    so I'll start the ball rolling....

Something to hold rolls of bale wrap?
    I'm turning the laptop upside down and from side to side and I can't figure what it's going to be :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement