Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Odelay

How easy was it to drive the clipex? Would one man drive them? How did they fair out with stones? Did you have to pull any out an try a different spot?

I’d like to try them but there is a fair amount of stones in the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭emaherx

Odelay wrote: »
    How easy was it to drive the clipex? Would one man drive them? How did they fair out with stones? Did you have to pull any out an try a different spot?

I’d like to try them but there is a fair amount of stones in the ground.

Wouldn't be very stoney soil around here. They were very easy driven, put up the fence by myself in a couple of hours. The only issue where I hit some stones was the post tended to twist around slightly making it a bit harder to clip in the wire, but none of them were relocated because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Odelay

emaherx wrote: »
    Wouldn't be very stoney soil around here. They were very easy driven, put up the fence by myself in a couple of hours. The only issue where I hit some stones was the post tended to twist around slightly making it a bit harder to clip in the wire, but none of them were relocated because of it.

Thanks. And how did you drive them? I’m thinking of using a two handled pipe thing.

Odelay wrote: »
    Thanks. And how did you drive them? I’m thinking of using a two handled pipe thing.

Yes, 2 handle pipe thing and the Clipex sleeve. It's needed or you'll bust the top clips. Hearing protection needed also.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Crush gate I made up. Like a lot of things here, it started out as a simple gate with no head-lock. But then as I was making it, I thought might as well add it. Then thought it could double up as a calving gate if needed. Hardest part was the rachet grooves along the top. A bit of drilling and cutting to shape them.
    There's 3 holes at the bottom to adjust for smaller animals and 2 ropes, one to close the head-lock and one to open the latch.
    Would I be made to galvanise it?

479915.jpg

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Fine solid job!! Nothing going to bend that too handy!

Looks like the main frame was made a while?
    Don't tell us.... you pulled it out of a skip at work and repurposed it?! :D:D

Would I be mad to galvanise it?

Galvanising has gone dear. Sperrin in Tynagh not too far from me and would have brought good few bits in the last while. It's the life of any metal.

Saying that, it won't be you that will have to worry about replacing that gate even if it never seen a paintbrush!

Muckit wrote: »
    Fine solid job!! Nothing going to bend that too handy!

Looks like the main frame was made a while?
    Don't tell us.... you pulled it out of a skip at work and repurposed it?! :D:D

You don't miss much. Ya, main frame made since end of last year. Think I bought the channel for another job. I did buy the top brass pin (€2). But ya, the rest came from the skip that keeps on giving. :cool:

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭mayota

Tasty bit of welding and cutting on the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SCOL

I wouldn't mind look into that bin !!! you could sell tickets.

• Advertisement

mayota wrote: »
    Foam blobber for sprayer. Less than €20. Works a treat with fairy liquid.

Try a picture.

Will that actually work?

Will that actually work?

Couldn’t believe how good it worked. The air needs to blow through the liquid so I attached a small length of pipe to the valve.

Couldn’t believe how good it worked. The air needs to blow through the liquid so I attached a small length of pipe to the valve.

What ratio of washing up liquid to water do you use?

Foam.

What ratio of washing up liquid to water do you use?

About 50:1 I’d say . That’s a 10litre drum and there was about 2.5 liters of water in it to allow room for foam.It got a good long squirt of fairy. The beauty of it is it bearly uses up any of the liquid.

No reason why you couldn't do the same with a fertiliser spreader. just make up a short boom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Foam.

Thats genius and very handy, especially in the evening sun.

Does your tractor have a 12 socket like you'd find in a car?

Mine (MF5455) has two electrical sockets but neither are the standard car type

I missed your first bit, thought it was a spot sprayer !
    So once u turn on 12v compressor does it start blobbing? U just turn t off to stop?

riemann wrote: »
    Thats genius and very handy, especially in the evening sun.

Does your tractor have a 12 socket like you'd find in a car?

Mine (MF5455) has two electrical sockets but neither are the standard car type

The best option would be to put a 7pin trailer socket and use the parking light pin but I got one of these: https://images.app.goo.gl/BRnTtnNFmBZjoP4A8

• Advertisement

I missed your first bit, thought it was a spot sprayer !
    So once u turn on 12v compressor does it start blobbing? U just turn t off to stop?

It’ll start blobbing after about 30 seconds when first turned on and then every 5 or 10 seconds. It stops as soon as switched off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭9935452

Crush gate I made up. Like a lot of things here, it started out as a simple gate with no head-lock. But then as I was making it, I thought might as well add it. Then thought it could double up as a calving gate if needed. Hardest part was the rachet grooves along the top. A bit of drilling and cutting to shape them.
    There's 3 holes at the bottom to adjust for smaller animals and 2 ropes, one to close the head-lock and one to open the latch.

479915.jpg

Nice heavy job.
    Make sure to weld the hinges on it solid so it cant be lifted off the hinges easily.
    We borrowed a mobile crush one day.
    Gate popped open with a 3 year old bullock stuck in it .
    He lifted it off the hinges and took off down the field with it .
    Lad here would only look at the crush gates that open in 2 halves not holding the animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

479915.jpg

Mad not to galvanise it I'd say. Lifetime job

479915.jpg

That's not a gate!

479976.jpg
    This is a gate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

When things get a bit more complicated than you expect...
    https://twitter.com/Bob_Animal/status/1127686512060112896?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Canvassers are getting wise to is around here, they only place posters at locations where there is cctv

Would they not be only too delighted if posters went missing on election night, less for them to have to take down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

If they put tyres on it it might pull like a 4x4 should........................ with out the need of a lump of timber............................................

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

5 star guntering here...

Often seen my father doing that yrs ago you have to watch where the air valve is tho can nick it easily

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭visatorro

That's how you got the scraper going in the finish??!!

Advertisement