Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegans and soil health

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

jh79 wrote: »
    Paper doesn't show organic is healthier, unless you can equate the reduced levels to actual health outcomes my claim still stands.

I'd rather not ingest chemicals if I can avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

Even "organic" food has chemicals in it and the amount allowed changes year by year. It's an arbitrary accreditation system, essentially a marketing term with no scientific basis.

Choosing either isn't gonna have an impact on your health.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭emaherx

I'd completely agree, but organic doesn't mean pesticide free, there are many organic pesticides which can be just as harmful and are often more harmful.

Would you rather have the synthetic poison or the organic poison sprayed on your food?

Even "organic" food has chemicals in it and the amount allowed changes year by year. It's an arbitrary accreditation system, essentially a marketing term with no scientific basis.

Choosing either isn't gonna have an impact on your health.

We buy our food from an organic farm and the quality and taste is amazing compared to the supermarket.

Intensive farming with liberal use pesticides does equal an inferior product.

We buy our food from an organic farm and the quality and taste is amazing compared to the supermarket.

But not an healthier product.

• Advertisement

I'd agree with you on intensive farming but wouldn't agree the pesticides have any effect on taste / quality.

A study was done in Denmark years ago with two fields side by side and they found no difference between the two.

But not an healthier product.

I totally disagree. Less harm is caused to the land, to animals, to the water. No GM crops.

I totally disagree. Less harm is caused to the land, to animals, to the water. No GM crops.

Even Golden Rice?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

That pesky dihydroxy oxide is a killer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭emaherx

ganmo wrote: »
    That pesky dihydroxy oxide is a killer

Dihydrogen monoxide?
    wrote:

is also known as hydroxyl acid, and is the major component of acid rain.
    contributes to the "greenhouse effect".
    may cause severe burns.
    contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.
    accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
    may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes.
    has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.
    Despite the danger, dihydrogen monoxide is often used:

as an industrial solvent and coolant.
    in nuclear power plants.
    in the production of styrofoam.
    as a fire retardant.
    in many forms of cruel animal research.
    in the distribution of pesticides. Even after washing, produce remains contaminated by this chemical.
    as an additive in certain "junk-foods" and other food products.

Terrible stuff but they'll never ban it :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement