Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What brands have you smoked throughout the years?

Options
  • 05-03-2010 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭

John Player Blue first for about a year(all the mad fella's were smoking them!)

Next was about a year of Silk Cut Purple.

Finally moved to Benson & Hedges - have had 12 glorious years of smoking this top class cigarette.

(Ooh I had 3 months smoking Drum too -cost saving!!)

What brands have you moved through?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Carroll's No. 1 was the only cigarette brand I ever really enjoyed.

These days I smoke Petersen's Deluxe Blend almost exclusively and have a stash of Romeo y Julieta No. 2 for now and again. A man of simple tastes, me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Started on B&H for about 6 months then moved to Marlboro(red) and been smoking them ever since.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Marlboro Lights for about 3 months. L&M Blue Label for about 2 months. But since then it has been sweet John Player Blue. God I love JP!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Started off smoking John Player blues, way back when it was 98p for 10!

Then went through a Rothmans phase, followed by JPS Blacks phase. Then it was Bensons for many years until I quit for a few years. Sadly, old habits die hard, and gradually started smoking again, smoking Marlboro Lights.

Have until more recently continued to smoke Marlboro lights (or Silver :)), until my recent trip to Spain, where I bought a big consignment of JPS Silver, which I quite like.

My intention is to quit when my JPS Silver's run out, about next week.... *sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Started off on the cheapest fags I could find,Richmond and Grandparade. Richmond were truly the worst fag ever made. Moved to Major for a while and JP blue,recently I've been smoking JP red 100's. Can't actually tell if there is any difference between blue and red,except that red are nearly a euro cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Silk cut when i was a youngfella haha
    John player then progressed onto luckies and back to john player (blue, black and silver).

I then moved onto rollies when broke. Started off with golden virginia then onto amber leaf. Nice tobacco, easy roll and was best value for money at the time costing 1/3 less than the equivilant tobacco.

Stuck with amber leaf for over a year as I enjoyed being able to control strangth, size and texture using various filters too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

dubtom wrote: »
    Started off on the cheapest fags I could find,Richmond and Grandparade. Richmond were truly the worst fag ever made. Moved to Major for a while and JP blue,recently I've been smoking JP red 100's. Can't actually tell if there is any difference between blue and red,except that red are nearly a euro cheaper.

Totally forgot about my Major experience. About two weeks of having my head blown off by the first fag of the day. Holy sh*t those Major give you some bang in the morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I started smoking by nicking Major from my granny when I'd be down doing her garden, she smoked the flip-pack, my dad smokes major too, but he smokes the retro looking pack. I love the feel of a Major, and I buy them if my usual brand isn't available in a machine.

I never liked jpb, they give me a headache, so I smoked B&H Gold for ages, and when the B&H Mellow Blend appeared, I smoked them for a while (loved the box too as it happens), then I moved on to Marlboro Lights.

I had an epiphany one night when I just bought Camel Lights for the hell of it when I was out, I smoke Camel Lights now, love them I do.

Sometimes I smoke Marlboro Lights too, and I still enjoy the odd Major.

Then there's the Peterson's Deluxe for my pipe when I'm enjoying a nice scotch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭GM071class

Started with,
    Benson Hedges Gold,
    Then,
    Benson Hedges Black (mostly because they were strong)
    Then,
    Hamlet (alright in quality terms)
    now,
    My peterson Standard Smooth 303, Normally Irish Oak in it
    and Cafe Creme for during the day, with Cohiba Ciglo 3's, Alvaros, and Henri Wintermans half corona's....

Cheers,
    Matt,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Paddysnapper

I've been off the fags for over 4 years now....But Major are the best ciggies going, I still love the smell of them:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭GM071class

I've been off the fags for over 4 years now....But Major are the best ciggies going, I still love the smell of them:)

They mangle your throat though.... But they are lovely to smoke.

Also I'm very fond of the packet design, something very traditional about them,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Started off on JP Blue then moved to B+H. Spent a while flitting between Marlboro Lights, Lucky Strike and Camel Lights before settling on Marlboro Lights for a few years. Switched to the rollies a few weeks ago and am fliting between Drum Original and Light Blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Smoked Major for about 5 years, changed to Rothmans and haven't changed since. Buy a packet of Major now and again, reminds me of old times!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

A couple of years of Marlboro reds with a few months of Marlboro menthol thrown in there somewhere. Lucky Strike followed though i'm smoking Cutters choice rolling tobacco at the moment but i occasionally buy a box of luckies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

In chonological order over about 12 years except for the 2 years in the middle when I managed to give up.

Lucky Strikes, B&H, Marlboro Lights, JP blue, B&H, Marlboro Lights, Drum Light tobacco.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭eoindrummer

Far too many over the years.
    Started off on John Player Blue,
    Then moved to B&H Gold, then B&H Black,
    Then onto Marlboro Lights,
    A brief period smoking Lucky Strike Red,
    Then Marlboro Reds,
    Then I was out one day and had a Marlboro Menthol that I bummed off of a mate, and I've been smoking them for near enough to 2 years now! I don't care what people say, I love them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

If I'm buying civvies I'll always buy Camel Lights, but I generally smoke rollies. Started on Drum, then Golden Virginia. Lived in Malta for a while and I smoked Old Holburn Yellow, which to me is the perfect rolling tobacco. Since I've come home back on the Golden Virginia, but will try the odd pouch of something different for a bit of variety

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

The early teen years was silk cut blue/purple. Then I went for Johnny Blue. Then I went for Benson and I still smoke them to this day.
    If I'm getting cartons it tends to be Marlboro red/ lights because that's all that's available to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

K-9 wrote: »
    Smoked Major for about 5 years, changed to Rothmans and haven't changed since. Buy a packet of Major now and again, reminds me of old times!

I'm exactly the same - Major then Rothmans . When I started 25 + years ago it seemed half of all smokers were on Major but nowadays Major seems a rarity , anyone else think the same ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

delancey42 wrote: »
    I'm exactly the same - Major then Rothmans . When I started 25 + years ago it seemed half of all smokers were on Major but nowadays Major seems a rarity , anyone else think the same ?

I don't think they're a rarity as such, but I doubt many 18-25 year olds smoke them these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Can't remember the last person under 40 i seen smoking Major tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Started with Carrolls because they were what my old man smoked at the time. Moved on to Rothmans, then Silk Cut purple and now Marlboro lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Used to be common enough 20 years ago, but even then it was seen as an ould mans cigarette! So really that was the start of its downfall.

Nice cigarette, but Jaysus, they are strong. Can't believe I used to smoke them.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

deadhead13 wrote: »
    Started with Carrolls because they were what my old man smoked at the time. Moved on to Rothmans, then Silk Cut purple and now Marlboro lights.

Don't tell me you robbed smokes off your Father - shame on you :D

K-9 wrote: »
    Used to be common enough 20 years ago, but even then it was seen as an ould mans cigarette! So really that was the start of its downfall.

Nice cigarette, but Jaysus, they are strong. Can't believe I used to smoke them.

They had a hell of a kick alright ! They certainly never had a sophisticated image , I remember as a teenager if a group of lads were talking about a girl who was , shall we say , a little ' rough around the edges ' someone would always say '' Jaysus , she probably drinks Guinness and smokes Major '' :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Ah come on, stealing cigarettes from your father is a rite of passage.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I nicked them off my Granny :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Sweet Afton, Players Navy Cut, Woodbines, Carrolls, Major.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭moonpurple

major, until I got lung cancer

Advertisement