Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Snow watch until Sunday 24th (N,W,SW most at risk)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Almost 22mm since this "event" started. A very dark, but mild day.

With not even the prospect of snow to look forward to, it really makes me question my decision to live in the west.

About the same amount here. Very run of the mill stuff.

Yes, the weather in the west can be overwhelmingly dreary and depressing a lot of the time, but this last year, and especially since the onset of July last, has taken it to a whole new level.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yeah bar the drought during lockdown 1 and 2 weeks in August there has been almost non stop rain in Sligo.

Also worryingly year on year seems to be getting wetter and wetter along the Western seaboard

Ayways a bog standard 20mm so far from this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Scotland around highlands is the only part of these islands that get semi decent snow with any type of regularity.

This is just a marginal winter

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

greenspurs wrote: »
    23 hrs ago ....

to this ....

"Latest HARMONIE charts suggest snow risk is confined to Wicklow Mountains tomorrow afternoon"

Do you ever get fed up of watching weather? Like, really, what is the attraction? Point?
    Its Ireland, we will just get wishy washy weather, nothing too cold, nothing too hot.. and rain...

Personally i think its a pointless exercise for 'novice' (for lack of a better word) weather watchers to be constantly posting weather reports from different sources, as they rarely ever agree on whats going to happen...

I just dont 'get' it .....

Says a Spurs fan :confused::D:D:D:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

driveway here is flooded, garden is showing signs of pools of water on top of the mud. Side roads into Dunshaughlin are partially flooded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Villain wrote: »
    Well the year does end in 1...

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Well it looks like the precipitation will be over much of the east coast tomorrow, but it seems much more muted now the prospect it will fall as snow at any stage to low levels. What is the current thinking of board members? From a Dublin perspective I am going to say no cigar unless you in the foothills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Met E. Have issued an advisory. Maybe they are getting advance info. Or just covering themselves. Just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Villain wrote: »

Anyway all we need is a high pressure to park the bus Mourinho style around the mid Atlantic for a while and we will all be happy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Well it looks like the precipitation will be over much of the east coast tomorrow, but it seems much more muted now the prospect it will fall as snow at any stage to low levels. What is the current thinking of board members? From a Dublin perspective I am going to say no cigar unless you in the foothills.

I doubt many places are going to see snow except maybe a few inland parts of the SE and high ground and just briefly before the rain clears, could well be light and patchy by then too. Not expecting anything here in Meath and even if it did snow temporarily the ground is as saturated as I've ever seen it during the wettest of winters, so very little chance of anything sticking.

• Advertisement

It is 2.5c at 300 metres... trying to make sure my drive would be worthwhile. At what surface temp would I need to be to be guaranteed snow at 400m?

The airmass is very saturated. My humidity is 97%.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Bucketing down in Galway terrible day very dark

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Weather Advisory for Ireland

Turning colder from Wednesday with weather conditions becoming increasingly wintry for the rest of the week. Risk of frost and icy conditions, with falls of sleet or snow at times.

Valid: 00:00 Wednesday 20/01/2021 to 23:59 Sunday 24/01/2021

Issued: 14:00 Tuesday 19/01/2021

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

OldRio wrote: »
    The land is utterly saturated. Flooding.

Where?

There's a puddle forming in the road in front of my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

pad199207 wrote: »

Turning colder from Wednesday with weather conditions becoming increasingly wintry for the rest of the week. Risk of frost and icy conditions, with falls of sleet or snow at times.

Nice to see snow mentioned on the weather advisory but doubt many places will see it. Probably northern and western counties only. Hope I’m wrong though

Edit: of course southeastern counties could see snow tomorrow but still 50/50

Temperatures appear to be around 3c in Inishowen, not sure if that is a cooling or not. Still 4c here. Not sure if I should drive to 400 metres or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭pauldry

esposito wrote: »
    Nice to see snow mentioned on the weather advisory but doubt many places will see it. Probably northern and western counties only. Hope I’m wrong though

Edit: of course southeastern counties could see snow tomorrow but still 50/50

Hope your right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Temperatures appear to be around 3c in Inishowen, not sure if that is a cooling or not. Still 4c here. Not sure if I should drive to 400 metres or not.

A better chance later on I think. Keep an eye on the temperature and the radar for greens/pink.

Today's rain band looks a good bit further North than was forecast. Some charts yesterday had 0mm for Malin head.

• Advertisement

Tonight
    Outbreaks of rain will continue in many areas tonight, turning to sleet or snow at times over high ground in Ulster. Rain may turn heavy in southern coastal counties before dawn. Holding mild in the south for much of the night, however much colder air to the north with lowest temperatures of 0 to 4 degrees will slowly sink southwards overnight with some frost forming. Fresh southwest breezes will become light northerly.

Tomorrow
    On Wednesday morning, rain will become confined to the east and south where it may be heavy for a time near southeastern coasts. It will become brighter across the west and north with sunny spells and scattered showers, some wintry. Remaining cloudy in the east as rain lingers in Leinster, turning to sleet or snow at times in the afternoon. Highest temperatures of 3 to 6 degrees with a moderate northwest breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

pad199207 wrote: »

EF3fk-M8-Xo-AAsgnu.png

The Met Éireann advisory is clever. They don't have one for tomorrow explicitly but

From Wednesday could be any time on Wednesday, or after Wednesday, its fairly ambiguous. So this covers snowy conditions tomorrow, or a hail shower anywhere and anytime from tomorrow to Friday.

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    A better chance later on I think. Keep an eye on the temperature and the radar for greens/pink.

I just want to get out before the sunsets.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I would say the chances for snow in Dublin and populated areas of Kildare and Laois is something like one in three, the chances more like three in four for snow above 250m and nearly certain above 400m.

Models are still struggling with details on this complex storm (which becomes Cristoph mainly for Britain on Thursday).

Several including Arpege and Hirlam show low pressure deepening west of Scotland eventually, with the Cristoph low weaker than on other guidance (located east of Newcastle England).

The GFS and GEM indicate only one low consolidating and that one in the North Sea, just cyclonic flow from northwest into Ulster, whereas the other models would suggest more of a westerly flow with greater trough enhancement.

Not sure which is better for snow prospects by Wed night or Thursday in Ulster, as one has more energy and the other has colder air. But would suggest there should be at least some snowfalls down to 150m or so in Ulster.

Getting back to the Dublin snow potential, that seems to depend on whether or not the back edge of this developing event will be both (a) moist enough and (b) cold enough for snow. There's a scenario where there's only drizzle and not even much rain in that stage, and another scenario where it keeps raining until near the end where it mixes but melts on contact.

I think that latter option is the most likely outcome but can't rule out a better option with a nice 3-5 cm snow cover at the end of the rainfall. Thursday should be cold enough that any wintry showers have nearly equal chances of being hail, sleet or snow.

With the range of uncertainty on Cristoph, there are still solutions buried in the mix which would see that low bombing out a bit early and that might be a good scenario for Ireland to see more snow than expected. Most guidance waits until the low is over the North Sea before really developing the circulation, but I could see where it might start bombing out as it crosses the Pennines (rather used to mountain wave development around here).

Pure rain and 1c at 410 metres! There is no way it’s going to snow anywhere else!

Awful! The freezing level must be really high.

https://streamable.com/1zkqgc

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Pure rain and 1c at 410 metres! There is no way it’s going to snow anywhere else!

In what timeframe?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

It was at 1563 m amsl at Castor Bay at 12Z.

3918_1_2101191101.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

t_uksnow42.cc23.jpg

Anyone remember using these charts back in the 'ol days! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement