Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GLAS Extension

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Justjens

There is a link to GLAS on the Dept login page, select 'scheme to enter', you'll then have three options (GLAS, 2 and 3). I'm in one so I clicked GLAS, then click box 'Glas 1 proposal', then click 'extend application', if yo have already done so it will show up as SMS response Y and the date you did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

ruwithme wrote: »
    Well mike as ever with the Department of ag, we've got 3 days from receipt of a text message to reply "y or n". granted a bit longer to do it online. Although anyone on here who's looked,can't seem to find the link box??

What was issued in a letter last wednesday says alot,while not saying anything at the same time.

After 5 years of a commitment in a environmental scheme i personally would like more than 3 days to a maximum of 15 to consider rejoining it for a year.

Especially so when my 2020 glas payment has been withheld after a satellite inspection. I received no correspondence from the Department on this as to whether or not there is a issue needing resolving at my end.

Thats only the tip of a iceberg for farmers across the country. i don't know if you or bendy are in the ifa,but i am, so i don't mind telling you i agree with bendy on the ifa and head in the sand.

Over 90% have replied to text, so most people have no problem. Yes am an IFA member, but not very active.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

MIKEKC wrote: »
    You didn't answer my question. When what's going on. How are IFAs heads buried in sand?

Maybe, just for starters they could have negotiated a better payment for the extra year.......Are civil servants on the same pay they were six yrs ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Maybe, just for starters they could have negotiated a better payment for the extra year.......Are civil servants on the same pay they were six yrs ago?

Lucky to get any payment I would think. Civil servants are certainly not on same money as six years ago. Getting another rise next year with no inflation. How this can be justified I don't know. In fairness Glas is money for jam as the saying goes. I haven't heard of any inspections. Very few people that were suppose to have sheep have them .Dept could easily check this from sheep census and a few visits to commonage. No need to meet farmers . No problem with social distancing on a mountain. Compare this to the BEAM Scheme where every applicant is being checked and money will have to be repaid if 5% reduction in organic fertilizer isn't achieved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭Grueller

MIKEKC wrote: »
    Lucky to get any payment I would think. Civil servants are certainly not on same money as six years ago. Getting another rise next year with no inflation. How this can be justified I don't know. In fairness Glas is money for jam as the saying goes. I haven't heard of any inspections. Very few people that were suppose to have sheep have them .Dept could easily check this from sheep census and a few visits to commonage. No need to meet farmers . No problem with social distancing on a mountain. Compare this to the BEAM Scheme where every applicant is being checked and money will have to be repaid if 5% reduction in organic fertilizer isn't achieved

A guy I rent a shed from had a glas inspection.
    A first cousin had a glas inspection.
    I had 2 inspections for glas this year alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Grueller wrote: »

I'd one. Another poster here had one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Jb1989 wrote: »
    I'd one. Another poster here had one

Had one too. Sticky enough about stuff too

Neighbour here had one last year and this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭minerleague

PoorFarmer wrote: »
    Had one too. Sticky enough about stuff too

Same as that, plenty soft talk but penalised whe report came back. After glas and reps do we think farmed environment is better or worse now than 20 years ago (outside of other pollution sources) For myself I think a large no of farmers want easy money without doing too much and countryside is worse off now. Hedgerows
    being the main wildlife habitat here are much worse now than ever from what I see.

• Advertisement

Same as that, plenty soft talk but penalised whe report came back. After glas and reps do we think farmed environment is better or worse now than 20 years ago (outside of other pollution sources) For myself I think a large no of farmers want easy money without doing too much and countryside is worse off now. Hedgerows
    being the main wildlife habitat here are much worse now than ever from what I see.

Hard blame them, trapped in a rigged system, income to put food on their own table has to come from somewhere.

Hard blame them, trapped in a rigged system, income to put food on their own table has to come from somewhere.

Yeah Id agree, stayed out of early reps but older now cutting down on stock, wonder will EU taxpayer continue to fund schemes so they can feel less guilty about less than environmently friendly lifestyles???

Yeah Id agree, stayed out of early reps but older now cutting down on stock, wonder will EU taxpayer continue to fund schemes so they can feel less guilty about less than environmently friendly lifestyles???

I figure the EU taxpayer haven't much say, it's the politicians and I don't think they will. They'll send the money elsewhere and instead use significantly higher entry requirements or statutory instruments to pinch those pennies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Grueller wrote: »

I had two inspections in 2018

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

It was poorly designed and implemented by DAFM. Only after EU auditors had a look at it recently are the department looking at improving outputs - worse they didn't even bother to monitor whether the schemes were actually improving farmland biodiversity or the environmental status of designated land. The annoying thing is that these issues were known about at least 10 years but DAFM weren't interesting in fixing them despite farmers doing good work in the area being short changed compared to large intensive operators who did little more than hang ornaments from fence post but still got the same money. A real wasted opportunity given the vast amount of money spent. Indeed some NGO's have pointed out that it would have been cheaper to simply use the money to buy all the best sites in terms of farmland biodiversity and protect them that way :rolleyes:

Birdnuts wrote: »
    It was poorly designed and implemented by DAFM. Only after EU auditors had a look at it recently are the department looking at improving outputs - worse they didn't even bother to monitor whether the schemes were actually improving farmland biodiversity or the environmental status of designated land. The annoying thing is that these issues were known about at least 10 years but DAFM weren't interesting in fixing them despite farmers doing good work in the area being short changed compared to large intensive operators who did little more than hang ornaments from fence post but still got the same money. A real wasted opportunity given the vast amount of money spent. Indeed some NGO's have pointed out that it would have been cheaper to simply use the money to buy all the best sites in terms of farmland biodiversity and protect them that way :rolleyes:

I see glas/reps as income support with veneer of environmental protection added, the small localized schemes with clear measurable targets seem much better ( new one for corncrake coming? ) but they would be expensive for countrywide use???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I see glas/reps as income support with veneer of environmental protection added, the small localized schemes with clear measurable targets seem much better ( new one for corncrake coming? ) but they would be expensive for countrywide use???

Don't think so overall if designed properly, especially given the proposed shape of the new CAP and its support priorities - the new HH and Pearl muscle schemes seem to tick all the boxes in terms of results and farmer satisfaction so that alone would be a good basis for tailored schemes across the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,155 ✭✭✭893bet

Will the new reps pilot scheme require an agri advisor to complete application ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,291 ✭✭✭tanko

893bet wrote: »
    Will the new reps pilot scheme require an agri advisor to complete application ?

You can be certain of that i'd think.

tanko wrote: »
    You can be certain of that i'd think.

Ok thanks. Will drop him a mail so!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 AmirPelavin01

How did you guys extend it? I've never really seen how to do it because there have been a lot of people that confused me with their statements in the past. Hopefully, you can give me a clear explanation on how to do it because I've been thinking that everyone will have a better time if they understand it more clearly and in a concise manner.

• Advertisement

How did you guys extend it? I've never really seen how to do it because there have been a lot of people that confused me with their statements in the past. Hopefully, you can give me a clear explanation on how to do it because I've been thinking that everyone will have a better time if they understand it more clearly and in a concise manner.

got a text from dept. replied DAFM Y. planner texted also was automatically putting people in for extension unless you contacted him

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭newholland mad

Anyone looking to renew and replyed by text would want to ring the dept and check did it go through. I replied in the correct format to the glas and the bdgp a day apart and the bdgp one has been renewed but the glas contract has expired, the text didn't go through. We emailed that section with a screenshot of the text etc so will see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

GLAS is an action based scheme which like REPS has failed to halt decline in farmland species. When you realise 1/3 of bee species in danger of extinction in Ireland, the farmland environment is in serious trouble! As you said it is a income support, money for doing very little. At same time we can greenwash saying how "green" everything is with this agri-environmental scheme which loads of farmers are in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It was recognised years ago that the sand dumps proposed for bumble bees just didn't work.
    Biodiversity needs to be incorporated into mainstream agri and all farms. We know that continuous corridors of an adequate width are critical for wildlife. if we have that, the bumble bee will look after itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭mayota

Water John wrote: »
    It was recognised years ago that the sand dumps proposed for bumble bees just didn't work.
    Biodiversity needs to be incorporated into mainstream agri and all farms. We know that continuous corridors of an adequate width are critical for wildlife. if we have that, the bumble bee will look after itself.

I had widening corridor going on until a cross compliance inspector deducted me on it. I’ll be at it with the digger when the weather drys up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

mayota wrote: »
    I had widening corridor going on until a cross compliance inspector deducted me on it. I’ll be at it with the digger when the weather drys up.

And this, in a nutshell, is why the Department of Agriculture are responsible for more environmental destruction on farmland than anyone else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭Base price

mayota wrote: »
    Neddyusa wrote: »
    And this, in a nutshell, is why the Department of Agriculture are responsible for more environmental destruction on farmland than anyone else
    I add phacelia and buckwheat seeds to the linseeds in our wild bird cover. A couple of years ago I wanted to move the electric fence out, rotavate and plant this mix into a strip along the hedge of the field that joins the main wbc area. OH nearly had a heart attack at my suggestion and said that if we had a cross compliance inspection we would be penalised.
    It's an awful pity that we can't do simple things like this to help our pollinators have a better chance of survival. Most households around here including ourselves don't have many or any flowers growing in their gardens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

Old thread but same problem.

Where on the department page can you extend the GLAS, it says in top left "GLAS2 Extension 2022: Status Unconfirmed"

Where can I confirm it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭zetor 4911

The deadline for the extension has passed maybe that's why you can't extend

I emailed the department today, they said it could be done online.

Ill have to contact them again tomorrow.

• Advertisement

I did it a couple of weeks ago on Agfood and it was complicated enough. I explained how to do it on the GLAS thread but here is a link to the post. Agfood is down at the moment due to essential maintenance.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/118193454/#Comment_118193454

Thanks for that, worked perfect.

Ridiculous set up on the website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Is that the one we got the text reminder for, reply to - yes or no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭kincaid

we got nothing, no texts or letter

is there still time? or it it worth going into for another year....

can you be penalized or previous years and what are penalties ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭kincaid

is there a new REPS scheme starting this year?

No. REAP is in year 2.

Entry for the new CAP 2023 schemes may start I would guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭White Clover

Any update on the 7000 and the gearbox of the Deere?

• Advertisement

I presume the 7000 is a Ford and ye need the gearbox of the Deere as an add on to run a min-till on heavy ground to sorta set up for the WBC 😉

Advertisement