Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crusader Kings III announced!

Options
  • 19-10-2019 8:04pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,332 CMod ✭✭✭✭

So, Paradox have just announced Crusader Kings III at PDXCon. Crusader Kings II has gone free-to-play (sans DLC) on Steam.

Trailer:

Not sure I'd have had the murder of an infant as the subject of the trailer. Anyways, it looks very similar to its predecessor which took me ages to get to grips with.

Steam Page

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

See it has already attracted controversy!!!

deus vult is out because of some nonsense. But allahu akbar/ takbir remains in.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,332 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 17,657 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

First good length of gameplay just dropped for this getting me very excited

They kinda focused on the Intrigue systems which are looking really fun with the secrets and hooks mechanics but also hilariously accidentally ended up impregnating their sister..... ahh crusader kings never change.

theres also a good new series displaying some of the key aspects of the new mechanics, episode 1 is here

Gonna be on PC gamepass as well which is nice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Niska

Another 5 minute preview this time looking at Vassals:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Let's plays dropping at 3pm today, not sure if it's same time for review embargo. Looking forward to tomorrow.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Getting good/great reviews across the board. I'd be interested in the thoughts of CK2 veterans.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

IGN gave it a 10 as well. Definitely looking forward to giving it a go now.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

This is on gamepass on pc right? Only dabbled with 2 and enjoyed it but there was a lot to take in as a new player

EDIT: I see gamepass mentioned above

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

If you were to preorder does this unlock at midnight or how does that work?

• Advertisement

ShooterSF wrote: »

Not released until tomorrow evening.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,332 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

ShooterSF wrote: »

Steam was telling me a day plus three hours a few hours back so I'd say 6pm tomorrow or thereabouts.

H. H. Asquith

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

its on xbox game pass, how do these dev's make money its a bit baffling. :eek:

Lone Stone wrote: »

Cash from MS. Also makes sense with Paradox's business model. Hook them with the base game and make bucket loads from the inevitable 10+ DLCs.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

What time will it unlock on game pass?
    Steam says 3 more hours.

What time will it unlock on game pass?
    Steam says 3 more hours.

Should be 10 minutes

It's downloading now. Can't wait!

Think I'll start with the tutorial then head over to noob island.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Niska

Lone Stone wrote: »

By charging €1999.99 for the season pass.

Niska wrote: »
    By charging €1999.99 for the season pass.

That's supposed to be Zloty's. A bug, apparently.

Anyway, I got it on CDkeys for a discount and just finished the tutorial. The UI is an improvement and the map looks so much better.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

I tried to play Crusader Kings 2 last night but couldn't make any sense of it. Is this one any easier? Never thought I'd ask this, but does it have a decent tutorial?

I tried to play Crusader Kings 2 last night but couldn't make any sense of it. Is this one any easier? Never thought I'd ask this, but does it have a decent tutorial?

Em... I've played CK2 a fair bit so a lot of it was fairly obvious. I thought it was one of Paradox's better tutorials but that's a low, low bar to be jumping over.

For CK2, you can look at Quill18's tutorial which he released when the game became free to play.

H. H. Asquith

Had a blast in my first 3 hours this evening , started with an easy go as the King of Leon and went for the obvious double fratrecide to inherit Castille and Galicia, except one of my borthers had a kid 1 month prior to his death so had to go down the traditional route of just marching in and taking what was mine.

Next a bunch of my vassals in Galicia converted to heretics, as a good catholic I did my best to try convince them to re convert but they weren't having it so I triggered a faction war. They outnumbered me so i called in my dynasties and managed to keep their armies seperated enough that I could whittle them down while i worked on hooks to help abducte some of the instigators to take them out of the war. This took more time than id like but i learned a good way of taking down factions.

This then gave me an idea of how to pick up all of Navarra whose King had got an alliance with France through marriage so I couldn't fight them as i was massively outnumbered again. I fabricated several hooks in his court and also found out he was having an affair so i managed to create a 95% succes rate abduction. Then 1 month before the abduction event triggered I started the war, the abduction was successful and i immediately got 100% war score and nabbed Navara without spilling a drop of blood.

Cannot wait to play more tomorrow!!!!

Seven hours gone in a flash. I played through 5 rulers on the tutorial and managed to form Kingdom of Ireland.

Restarted so I could play on ironman, earlier start as Desmond, have just formed Munster.

Definitely trickier in 867 with the Vikings raiding my land.

I keep going to click the icons on the top right of the screen but end up scrolling across the map.

Realm, Court, Intrigue buttons etc.

Anyone else?

Other than that I love the new UI.

Had my first Character death today, my soulmate died a few months prior so my head canon is he died of a broken heart. Anywho made some very silly mistakes on my succession and inheritance stuff, lost a whole kingdom to my stupid younger brother so had to immediately go to war to get that back, also my new Char is like 20 skill in Learning which im not really sure how to play yet, but found a good breakdown of all the new skill trees and how to use them here for anyone equally as confused.

Also my wife slept with one of my mayors and one of the big benefits of high learning is massive levels of piety and devotion so i threw them both in jail managed to get a quick and easy divorce. Then I married a way better (and younger) wife with much higher stewardship and the Intelligent trait, YAY, so that actually turned out to be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I've played lots of ck2, eu3/4, Hoi etc and not enjoying this at all.

Had to stop playing. I'm finding the UI an absolute pain. Everything is too big and taking up too much space, too much pop ups that you can't seem to turn off and tooltips. Scrolling across the maps gets annoying with all the pop ups.

Finding it very badly designed so just going to wait until either paradox fix it, or some modders sort it.

titan18 wrote: »
    I've played lots of ck2, eu3/4, Hoi etc and not enjoying this at all.

Had to stop playing. I'm finding the UI an absolute pain. Everything is too big and taking up too much space, too much pop ups that you can't seem to turn off and tooltips. Scrolling across the maps gets annoying with all the pop ups.

Finding it very badly designed so just going to wait until either paradox fix it, or some modders sort it.

Have to say I'm having the complete opposite experience, having a blast.

You can reduce the size of the UI in the options menu, UI scaling option.
    For the pop ups change the pop up type from timed to action, or change the timer to stop them popping up when you are scrolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Have to say I'm having the complete opposite experience, having a blast.

You can reduce the size of the UI in the options menu, UI scaling option.
    For the pop ups change the pop up type from timed to action, or change the timer to stop them popping up when you are scrolling.

Tried all those. The UI doesn't scale properly imo. For example if you change it to down, the icons and text get a lot smaller and whilst readable, the council page in particular gets tough to use with the icons there for council members.

I've no idea what the tooltip setting does myself as I changed the delay to 5 seconds hoping it's get rid of them but couldn't find that it affects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

So playing as the suggested ruler in Ireland and burned a lot of hours :D Helped William capture England and fight of the Norwegians (well I brought my token army) my next ruler started to consolidate power in Ireland with Williams help and my 3rd finally created the kingdom of Ireland with only 2 counties up north under foreign control. My 4th was my favourite as I learnt how to use intrigue. First to off his brother and consolidate power again and then I got a fabricated hook on the queen of England in her late 40s with 2 daughers and a son. I used the hook to marry the eldest daughter to my grandson (My heir's heir) and killed her son. I then cheated the role play a little and made sure my next ruler didn't last long so I got to rule with the king of Ireland who was married to the heir of England. I had to concede some authority and when my wife finally became Queen, some cash for mercenaries to help us win wars but as we started having kids to ally off things got better and right now I've united all of Ireland under my rule (but some of my vassals are very powerful) and my Wife sadly passed away so my 19 year old son is sitting on the throne of England and if he survives will inherit both crowns.

Advertisement