Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crusader Kings III announced!

• 19-10-2019 8:04pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭

So, Paradox have just announced Crusader Kings III at PDXCon. Crusader Kings II has gone free-to-play (sans DLC) on Steam.

Trailer:

Not sure I'd have had the murder of an infant as the subject of the trailer. Anyways, it looks very similar to its predecessor which took me ages to get to grips with.

Steam Page

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,738 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

See it has already attracted controversy!!!

deus vult is out because of some nonsense. But allahu akbar/ takbir remains in.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,301 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

First good length of gameplay just dropped for this getting me very excited

They kinda focused on the Intrigue systems which are looking really fun with the secrets and hooks mechanics but also hilariously accidentally ended up impregnating their sister..... ahh crusader kings never change.

theres also a good new series displaying some of the key aspects of the new mechanics, episode 1 is here

Gonna be on PC gamepass as well which is nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Niska

Another 5 minute preview this time looking at Vassals:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Let's plays dropping at 3pm today, not sure if it's same time for review embargo. Looking forward to tomorrow.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Getting good/great reviews across the board. I'd be interested in the thoughts of CK2 veterans.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

IGN gave it a 10 as well. Definitely looking forward to giving it a go now.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

This is on gamepass on pc right? Only dabbled with 2 and enjoyed it but there was a lot to take in as a new player

EDIT: I see gamepass mentioned above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

If you were to preorder does this unlock at midnight or how does that work?

• Advertisement

ShooterSF wrote: »

Not released until tomorrow evening.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Steam was telling me a day plus three hours a few hours back so I'd say 6pm tomorrow or thereabouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

its on xbox game pass, how do these dev's make money its a bit baffling. :eek:

Lone Stone wrote: »

Cash from MS. Also makes sense with Paradox's business model. Hook them with the base game and make bucket loads from the inevitable 10+ DLCs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

What time will it unlock on game pass?
    Steam says 3 more hours.

What time will it unlock on game pass?
    Steam says 3 more hours.

Should be 10 minutes

It's downloading now. Can't wait!

Think I'll start with the tutorial then head over to noob island.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Niska

Lone Stone wrote: »

By charging €1999.99 for the season pass.

Niska wrote: »
    By charging €1999.99 for the season pass.

That's supposed to be Zloty's. A bug, apparently.

Anyway, I got it on CDkeys for a discount and just finished the tutorial. The UI is an improvement and the map looks so much better.

• Advertisement

I tried to play Crusader Kings 2 last night but couldn't make any sense of it. Is this one any easier? Never thought I'd ask this, but does it have a decent tutorial?

I tried to play Crusader Kings 2 last night but couldn't make any sense of it. Is this one any easier? Never thought I'd ask this, but does it have a decent tutorial?

Em... I've played CK2 a fair bit so a lot of it was fairly obvious. I thought it was one of Paradox's better tutorials but that's a low, low bar to be jumping over.

For CK2, you can look at Quill18's tutorial which he released when the game became free to play.

Had a blast in my first 3 hours this evening , started with an easy go as the King of Leon and went for the obvious double fratrecide to inherit Castille and Galicia, except one of my borthers had a kid 1 month prior to his death so had to go down the traditional route of just marching in and taking what was mine.

Next a bunch of my vassals in Galicia converted to heretics, as a good catholic I did my best to try convince them to re convert but they weren't having it so I triggered a faction war. They outnumbered me so i called in my dynasties and managed to keep their armies seperated enough that I could whittle them down while i worked on hooks to help abducte some of the instigators to take them out of the war. This took more time than id like but i learned a good way of taking down factions.

This then gave me an idea of how to pick up all of Navarra whose King had got an alliance with France through marriage so I couldn't fight them as i was massively outnumbered again. I fabricated several hooks in his court and also found out he was having an affair so i managed to create a 95% succes rate abduction. Then 1 month before the abduction event triggered I started the war, the abduction was successful and i immediately got 100% war score and nabbed Navara without spilling a drop of blood.

Cannot wait to play more tomorrow!!!!

Seven hours gone in a flash. I played through 5 rulers on the tutorial and managed to form Kingdom of Ireland.

Restarted so I could play on ironman, earlier start as Desmond, have just formed Munster.

Definitely trickier in 867 with the Vikings raiding my land.

I keep going to click the icons on the top right of the screen but end up scrolling across the map.

Realm, Court, Intrigue buttons etc.

Anyone else?

Other than that I love the new UI.

Had my first Character death today, my soulmate died a few months prior so my head canon is he died of a broken heart. Anywho made some very silly mistakes on my succession and inheritance stuff, lost a whole kingdom to my stupid younger brother so had to immediately go to war to get that back, also my new Char is like 20 skill in Learning which im not really sure how to play yet, but found a good breakdown of all the new skill trees and how to use them here for anyone equally as confused.

Also my wife slept with one of my mayors and one of the big benefits of high learning is massive levels of piety and devotion so i threw them both in jail managed to get a quick and easy divorce. Then I married a way better (and younger) wife with much higher stewardship and the Intelligent trait, YAY, so that actually turned out to be a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I've played lots of ck2, eu3/4, Hoi etc and not enjoying this at all.

Had to stop playing. I'm finding the UI an absolute pain. Everything is too big and taking up too much space, too much pop ups that you can't seem to turn off and tooltips. Scrolling across the maps gets annoying with all the pop ups.

Finding it very badly designed so just going to wait until either paradox fix it, or some modders sort it.

titan18 wrote: »
    I've played lots of ck2, eu3/4, Hoi etc and not enjoying this at all.

Had to stop playing. I'm finding the UI an absolute pain. Everything is too big and taking up too much space, too much pop ups that you can't seem to turn off and tooltips. Scrolling across the maps gets annoying with all the pop ups.

Finding it very badly designed so just going to wait until either paradox fix it, or some modders sort it.

Have to say I'm having the complete opposite experience, having a blast.

You can reduce the size of the UI in the options menu, UI scaling option.
    For the pop ups change the pop up type from timed to action, or change the timer to stop them popping up when you are scrolling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Have to say I'm having the complete opposite experience, having a blast.

You can reduce the size of the UI in the options menu, UI scaling option.
    For the pop ups change the pop up type from timed to action, or change the timer to stop them popping up when you are scrolling.

Tried all those. The UI doesn't scale properly imo. For example if you change it to down, the icons and text get a lot smaller and whilst readable, the council page in particular gets tough to use with the icons there for council members.

I've no idea what the tooltip setting does myself as I changed the delay to 5 seconds hoping it's get rid of them but couldn't find that it affects.

• Advertisement

So playing as the suggested ruler in Ireland and burned a lot of hours :D Helped William capture England and fight of the Norwegians (well I brought my token army) my next ruler started to consolidate power in Ireland with Williams help and my 3rd finally created the kingdom of Ireland with only 2 counties up north under foreign control. My 4th was my favourite as I learnt how to use intrigue. First to off his brother and consolidate power again and then I got a fabricated hook on the queen of England in her late 40s with 2 daughers and a son. I used the hook to marry the eldest daughter to my grandson (My heir's heir) and killed her son. I then cheated the role play a little and made sure my next ruler didn't last long so I got to rule with the king of Ireland who was married to the heir of England. I had to concede some authority and when my wife finally became Queen, some cash for mercenaries to help us win wars but as we started having kids to ally off things got better and right now I've united all of Ireland under my rule (but some of my vassals are very powerful) and my Wife sadly passed away so my 19 year old son is sitting on the throne of England and if he survives will inherit both crowns.

titan18 wrote: »
    Tried all those. The UI doesn't scale properly imo. For example if you change it to down, the icons and text get a lot smaller and whilst readable, the council page in particular gets tough to use with the icons there for council members.

I've no idea what the tooltip setting does myself as I changed the delay to 5 seconds hoping it's get rid of them but couldn't find that it affects.

Some of the tooltip settings shorten the time it takes for them to lock in place so you can hover and then check the detail popups on them, you might be better increasing the times on these ones.

Ive played probably 300 hours of CK2 and am absolutely loving this, its a great step up imo and i cant wait to see what DLC and future mechanics paradox have planned.

Granted it has issues but its by far a more complete base game than CK2 was at launch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,941 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

My half brother got involved in a war in Scotland for some reason, got imprisoned and died a month later! No idea what was going on there?

Is there a screen that shows who's at war with who?

ShaneU wrote: »
    My half brother got involved in a war in Scotland for some reason, got imprisoned and died a month later! No idea what was going on there?

Is there a screen that shows who's at war with who?

If you select character profiles you can see on the right hand side they are allied with or what wars they have, if you click the wars you can see details of progress and army strength etc

I just managed to form the empire of Hispania tonight and got the highest prestige with a character that when i started on did not expect much from at all.

Disappointingly my only male heir died very young and my eldest daughter turned out to be an adulterous whore who slept with 3 mayors, that i know of, and had a child with each of them and not a single one with the hand picked husband i got for her.

She also tried to murder me which makes me think she's also responsible for killing her brother. I imprisoned and executed her but not before disinheriting her so her bastard children will have zero claims on anything.

My new heir is my unexceptional grand daughter who I dont have much hope for but ive achieved my aim of establishing an empire so whatever happens next will just be a bit of fun and if it all falls apart ill just try rebuild it which will be just as much fun!!!

Playing as the Duke of Bohemia.

I had two sons who both died. One of them had a son, my grandson. I later remarried and had a third son (my only surviving son).

I assumed he would be my heir but instead the duchy went to my grandson when I died.

What's that about?

I had two sons who both died. One of them had a son, my grandson. I later remarried and had a third son (my only surviving son).

I assumed he would be my heir but instead the duchy went to my grandson when I died.

What's that about?

Thats Primogeniture succession, the children of your eldest inherit their claims if they die.

• Advertisement

What's that about?

Generally I think the crown acts is if all your (male) heirs are alive, if it goes to someone who is dead it then acts as if they had just died and looks at their heirs if they had any. It only takes a step back if it hits a dead end no pun intended.
    Real life example if Prince Charles of England died tomorrow his son would still be next in line for the crown not the queen's next eldest child..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,941 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I'm king of Ireland and whenever I put a relative in charge of an Earldom, they instantly get attacked by other vassals and there's nothing I can do about it. All you can do is ask them to stop the vassal war but they usually refuse and when they do refuse it's YOU that loses Prestige?

They openly defy you to your face and you don't get a Cassus Belli or anything to get retribution with!

My heir ended up in Turkey somewhere :D The only thing you can do is fabricate a claim on the County and remove them which makes them hate your guts! Attaching someone's Son though is fine! No wonder Medieval times were mad with rules like these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

cool as fook vampire mod for it

Just lost like 2/3 of Spain to a muslim rebellion that caught me on the back foot, pretty sure my dynasty is about to be shredded by all my rivals now im so weak again.

Decided to try a HRE game, playing as Austria in 1066. The emperor appointed me as his steward which grants me +3.0 gold per month. Fairly OP if you ask me.

My first ruler is coming towards the end of his reign and succession is going to be a mess. I have 3 duchy titles and 3 sons.

For my next ruler I'm going to unlock celibacy first, get married, produce an heir and a spare then proclaim myself celibate for the rest of the game. Succession is so difficult in the early game.

• Advertisement

Gave this a lash on game pass. I still don't really get it. Not sure what I'm supposed to be doing. I put the speed up to max and it plays a bit like Reigns.

Gave this a lash on game pass. I still don't really get it. Not sure what I'm supposed to be doing. I put the speed up to max and it plays a bit like Reigns.

At max speed your gonna miss a lot of whats going on, run through the tutorial its pretty good for this game. Think of it like a strategy RPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Marcus Antonius

Generally I think the crown acts is if all your (male) heirs are alive, if it goes to someone who is dead it then acts as if they had just died and looks at their heirs if they had any. It only takes a step back if it hits a dead end no pun intended.
    Real life example if Prince Charles of England died tomorrow his son would still be next in line for the crown not the queen's next eldest child..

Learned this the hard way myself, playing as king of Ireland and my eldest heir moved over to the Byzantine Empire, only noticed this when I was 65, tried to call him back to court wouldn't come, had to assassinate him and then it moved to his next male heir, nightmare had to assassinate all his male heirs to get it to move to my next son who was in my court and was up against the clock, literally died about 2 months after I managed all the assassinations, blessed!

Gotta say loving CCIII, came to late to the second one with all of the million DLC packages some of which I have some of which I don't. Think the new one is much more user friendly and the tutorial is a lot better.

Started playing this couple nights ago. And now I'm tired and sleep deprived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

I've never tried any of these CK games. Have you any tips for a beginner to watch out for?

Yeah I bought this yesterday evening and lost an hour and a half when I really should have gone to bed.

My graphics card is below the minimum listed but meets the requirements somehow and it seems fine.

Currently King of Ireland, will leave it to the weekend to play again.

Yeah I bought this yesterday evening and lost an hour and a half when I really should have gone to bed.

My graphics card is below the minimum listed but meets the requirements somehow and it seems fine.

Currently King of Ireland, will leave it to the weekend to play again.

How do I get to be king?

I've conquered all of Ireland, but once my current King dies all the lands get divided out between family?

How do I get to be king?

I've conquered all of Ireland, but once my current King dies all the lands get divided out between family?

You have to create the title. If you click onto one of your titles you should see it is de jure part of Ireland (or something along those lines you'll see a little blue shield with a harp) click on that and you can create the kingdom it does cost gold and prestige if memory serves. Sorry for the vagueness I've uninstalled for the first few weeks back in college as I try and adjust my sleep pattern to mornings again :D
    Your smaller titles will still be broken up. You can use primogeniture succession when you unlock it later in the game but honestly I found it more fun than when you die you get the challenge of trying to gain control of the country again.

How do I get to be king?

I've just followed the tutorial so far.
    I'm on my own now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭quokula

Been really enjoying this so far. It's fun just rolling with whatever happens and experimenting and playing around. With my first ruler I formed an alliance with Wessex through marriage, and they had a huge army which I kept calling in as I took over Ireland, Scotland and the north of England. Then my ruler passed away due to obesity and Ireland, Alba and England god split up so I'm back to just controlling Ireland and a few welsh counties and finding ways to build back up again which has been fun.

The fact I've been playing AC Valhalla at the same time as this means I have faces and voices and personalities in my head for a lot of the protagonists of the first start date which only adds to the role-playing element.

• Advertisement
Advertisement