Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today the tax day - revenue.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

j_mo wrote: »
    Is anyone else still having issues gaining access to their SOL? I'm still getting a message saying that it'll be available after the 15th.

Thanks

Same. I was told by someone it will be the 18th before we can view our liability doc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭NewRed2

Could someone please tell me what im doing wrong here..... so i go to review tax bill select 2020 then see statement of liability section and it says “status available, action request”. So i click on request and then it just says “preliminary end of hear result not available you cannot proceed as you were registered for income tax”. Wtf is that about?

How do i view it? I know its gonna be bad news but i want it out of the way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,860 ✭✭✭malinheader

Is anyone else still having issues gaining access to their SOL? I'm still getting a message saying that it'll be available after the 15th.

Thanks

Same as, available to view after the 15th.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Underpaid by just over €1200! Employer is paying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

NewRed2 wrote: »
    Could someone please tell me what im doing wrong here..... so i go to review tax bill select 2020 then see statement of liability section and it says “status available, action request”. So i click on request and then it just says “preliminary end of hear result not available you cannot proceed as you were registered for income tax”. Wtf is that about?

How do i view it? I know its gonna be bad news but i want it out of the way :)

Are you registered for self assessment income tax? Or jointly assessed with a spouse who is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Pool4Life

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Are you registered for self assessment income tax? Or jointly assessed with a spouse who is?

I have the same problem as my wife is registered for self assessment. Guess I will have to ring them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Thanks

https://www.revenue.ie/en/corporate/communications/eoy-information-for-employers-and-employees/important-dates-for-year-end-2020.aspx

Available Monday 18th

Sunny Dayz wrote: »

Hiya, im registered for self assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

petes wrote: »

Did you ask, or did they offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Pool4Life wrote: »
    I have the same problem as my wife is registered for self assessment. Guess I will have to ring them.

Nope, your spouse needs to file her form 11 tax return because it would seem you are most likely jointly assessed so your tax affairs are linked to hers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

Did your employer agree to this?

Hiya, im registered for self assessment.

Then you need to file your form 11 tax return for 2021

Did you ask, or did they offer?

They've already offered

niallers1 wrote: »
    Did your employer agree to this?

They had already offered before yesterday.

Should employees have the same issue this time next year, with many having underpayments? Or will it be ok because the TWSS system is gone?

They've already offered

Any advice on how I could broach this with my employer?

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

petes wrote:

Could this lead to a BIK issue, as employer is effectively giving you an extra 1200 euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,799 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Buddy97mm wrote: »
    Could this lead to a BIK issue, as employer is effectively giving you an extra 1200 euro?

Not if they gross up the €1200 and put it through the payroll system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Buddy97mm wrote: »

My understanding is that an employer can pay the entire outstanding amount and legitimately not lead to a BIK issue. I will look up where I heard this and report back when I find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

so i was lucky to work right through the lock downs however
    my employer used TWSS to pay me for 12 weeks
    I still came out with same net as on a salary so no extra benefit to me

my employer got on average 25k for 12 weeks

now i am getting a tax bill even though i earned nothing extra during year
    so i am worse off while my supplier has had its profits increased

this seems very unfair to me and i will be contacting my local fianna fail td about it to explain
    to me how this is equitable
    Before i do am i wrong in my understanding in any of the above??

• Advertisement

Where are you getting 25K from? Is it not 350*12 Weeks = €4200?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭magic17

Great to see that there is some decent employers out there looking after their employees

Then you need to file your form 11 tax return for 2021

Thanks! My accountant does my tax returns so am i basically best to ask accountant for copy of this or is the form 11 something different? My god i hate this type of stuff..... as you can probably guess :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Lantern Jaw

How tough were the checks on companies that used this scheme? I cant see how my company qualified, now I'm left with a tax bill of 2.2k. I got 70 percent of my wages for 4 months last year and worked 70 percent during that time. My friend is a courier was also on it last year and his company were obviously never busier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Shiny wrote: »
    My understanding is that an employer can pay the entire outstanding amount and legitimately not lead to a BIK issue. I will look up where I heard this and report back when I find it.

Please do as I haven't seen anything like this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

wpd wrote: »
    so i was lucky to work right through the lock downs however
    my employer used TWSS to pay me for 12 weeks
    I still came out with same net as on a salary so no extra benefit to me

my employer got on average 25k for 12 weeks

now i am getting a tax bill even though i earned nothing extra during year
    so i am worse off while my supplier has had its profits increased

this seems very unfair to me and i will be contacting my local fianna fail td about it to explain
    to me how this is equitable
    Before i do am i wrong in my understanding in any of the above??

You're the type of person I feel sorry for. I'd approach your Employer first and foremost. See what they have to say about it. If they genuinely needed the money to keep the business going, you'll have to just suck it up and pay as you were lucky to keep your job and same net pay throughout.

Where are you getting your 25k figure from though. Far too high for just yourself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

How are ye getting what ye owe? I had issues logging in yesterday. While I can log in now, it says the SOL is available but I just cannot access it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

While I'm in the "It might seem harsh but it's still income" camp, I do agree with the grievance against companies who seemed to take advantage, either through applying for the scheme where they weren't eligible, or doing nothing to top up the wages.

At the start of the pandemic we saw a fair few cases where employees were put on the scheme and had their wages slashed to the €350. This meant that the employer was getting free labour while the taxpayer paid the worker, and now the worker has to pay tax on that income.

Thanks! My accountant does my tax returns so am i basically best to ask accountant for copy of this or is the form 11 something different? My god i hate this type of stuff..... as you can probably guess :)

You are registered as self assessed for Income tax so you must have non PAYE income greater than €5000 in the year, are a proprietary director or are in receipt of share options from your employer in the year. You can' file a form 12 tax return which the bulk of people on this thread will be doing to get a statement of liabilities. As you a re self assessed you file a form 11 tax return for the tax year instead of the form 12. You must include all of your income from all sources to get your equivalent statement of liabilities. If you are using an accountant you can use them to do it or if you are comfortable with declaring all your income and drawing up your own accounts you can do it.

• Advertisement

Synode wrote: »
    Please do as I haven't seen anything like this

I haven't found it on the revenue site yet but this page describes how employers can pay back the tax without a BIK implication.
    Employers can pay employees’ TWSS tax liabilities without an additional tax charge. Revenue have confirmed that no Benefit in Kind (BIK) and therefore no additional tax charge will arise for the employee where the employer pays the income tax and USC arising on the TWSS payments.

To me this this reads like employers can undo their original application and pay back the tax.

Advertisement