Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today the tax day - revenue.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

PommieBast wrote: »
    Was on wage subsidy. €2000 underpayment :eek:

Pretty much the same here. :(

3 Months. Rough calculation

(€350 @ 40% tax)*4 weeks = ~560 month * 3 months = €1680 + ~200 USC

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

cyc1337 wrote: »
    my wife was on TWSS for 3 months, her NET stayed the same, workhours and scope of work as well and now we received tax underpayment of 2200 EUR.
    this is effectively a pay cut without being agreed between employer and employee thus constituting a breach of contract of employment.

how is this not being an issue across the country?
    I wouldn’t be be in any hurry to pay this up front. I can see this being challenged just like the water charges were.

At a time when the economy should be getting stimulus payments, the revenue are taking huge sums of disposable income out of the economy

David McWilliams will be spinning in in his grave ( or on his swivel chair in his fancy pad on Kiliney)

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

Akrasia wrote: »
    I wouldn’t be be in any hurry to pay this up front. I can see this being challenged just like the water charges were.

At a time when the economy should be getting stimulus payments, the revenue are taking huge sums of disposable income out of the economy

David McWilliams will be spinning in in his grave ( or on his swivel chair in his fancy pad on Kiliney)

Exactly my thinking too, you'd want to be mad to offer it all upfront!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

Laura99 wrote: »
    This is the same with my OH, wages weren't topped up by employer. I think this is where the real issue is, not with PUP tax. Exact same hours, but ending up with less money at the end of the year. How does that make sense.

Don’t think of it as a paycut, think of it as giving your boss a weekly tax free loan that you have to pay back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

So the working people who were on the wage subsidy will be paying more tax and the boys on the corona payment yes pay some tax but in reality the working person is the looser once again.

• Advertisement

Protestors could launch a nuclear strike on Revenue and you’ll end up with a cockroach carrying your tax bill in through the air ducts of your underground bunker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

They are, they're paying out billions of euro a month in PUP and TWSS on top of the usual jobseekers benefit, jobseekers allowance etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 8 cyc1337

of course i won't. i'll make her ask her employer to pay it, complain to revenue and Workplace Relations Commission. and will think about getting a solicitor if all fails.

we already pay a ****load in taxes so the government can throw away money for the dole.

(and if someone takes offence, just to be clear: no, covid didn't take your job, the government did, now they are screwing us all. again.)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,871 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Can someone explain to step by step how this works please

bloody lost

PTH2009 wrote: »

bloody lost

Don’t work = more money.

Work = less money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Laura99

I was on PUP and now owe tax, I don't mind paying this, it was always going to be the way. Im not paying anymore tax than if I was receiving a wage of 350 a week.

But I can't get my head around the TWSS, my OH was working the same hours as previous years but his end of the line take home pay will be down a couple of grand from the previous years. Not really fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Lads, probably the wrong place to ask but I have no no idea about tax or tax credits. How /can I apply for tax credits for my children? I'm a single parent with three children and my current tax credits is employee tax credit and personal tax credit 1650 each. Can this be ammended on the ros website?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Lads, probably the wrong place to ask but I have no no idea about tax or tax credits. How /can I apply for tax credits for my children? I'm a single parent with three children and my current tax credits is employee tax credit and personal tax credit 1650 each. Can this be ammended on the ros website?
    Thanks

You can claim the Single Parent Child Carer (SPCC) tax credit.

I think you can only claim it for 1 child even if you have 3.
    It gives you 1650 tax credits a year.
    You can claim this for the last 4 years (assuming you have been working the last 4 years)
    you might be owed alot of money depending on how much tax you have paid over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,244 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I was on PUP and now owe tax, I don't mind paying this, it was always going to be the way. Im not paying anymore tax than if I was receiving a wage of 350 a week.

But I can't get my head around the TWSS, my OH was working the same hours as previous years but his end of the line take home pay will be down a couple of grand from the previous years. Not really fair.

My guess is revenue will say it could be worst for people if they didn't do TWSS.

That they could have ended up on a welfare payment for the last year which would amount to a lot less than the tax they owe now.

Just my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,299 ✭✭✭✭ted1

PTH2009 wrote: »

bloody lost

All income is taxable. Simple as that.

My guess is revenue will say it could be worst for people if they didn't do TWSS.

That they could have ended up on a welfare payment for the last year which would amount to a lot less than the tax they owe now.

Just my guess.

If people were working their full hours there was work to be done. The company is a net beneficiary and the employees on the scheme are at a significant loss.

I’m down 50k as I travel alot with work and get alot of expenses plus lots of tax savings from FED but I could work from home so I got nothing , mean while my niece who used to get 100 a week for a few hours was upgraded to 350 a week. That’s not fair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

ted1 wrote: »
    I’m down 50k as I travel alot with work and get alot of expenses plus lots of tax savings from FED but I could work from home so I got nothing , mean while my niece who used to get 100 a week for a few hours was upgraded to 350 a week. That’s not fair

50k. Really. Tell us more

• Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Thanks

Lone parents typically get three tax credits:

personal tax credit, that everybody gets
    PAYE employee tax credit, that all employees get
    lone parents tax credit, now known as the SPCC credit

https://revenue.ie/en/jobs-and-pensions/tax-credits/index.aspx

https://revenue.ie/en/personal-tax-credits-reliefs-and-exemptions/children/single-person-child-carer-credit/index.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

GarIT wrote: »
    Revenue didn't make any decisions on TWSS and Revenue can't make decisions on what tax to charge. They are just a collections and enforcement agency enforcing the rules as the government sets out.

Not really true though.

Before Christmas, some employers who had availed out TWSS, now wished to pay the employees tax liabilities and avoid today’s mess.
    The employers asked Revenue if they could make the payment without it being subject to BIK rules.

The Revenue agreed to forgo the tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Lantern Jaw

How do you request this on paye anytime folks? Till I see what the damage is 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

How do you request this on paye anytime folks? Till I see what the damage is ��

Log into myaccount on Revenue, click on "Review your tax 2017-2020" then click view on Statement of liability.

Site might still be a bit slow due to the volume of people trying to access.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

GarIT wrote: »
    I'm sure it wasn't Revenue that made that decision. They would have had to check with the Minister or the Department of Finance.

Revenue can make some low level decisions but on the whole they just enforce the rules don't make them.

Revenue were asked a question and they answered it.
    Speculation by you that the government were involved is just that ...speculation. I saw no newspaper article referring to the government saying no to collection.

They chose not to enforce the rules. Any other BIK such as company car, preferential loans, even a second. One4all voucher in a calendar year is taxable.

It’s like when they choose not to peruse certain taxes when it suits them.
    The government at the time wanted Revenue to collect the water charges and they said no, as the amounts owed were variable. Income tax liabilities for the 600k people under TWSS is also variable, but no issue collecting this.

Revenue have a lot more automy that you are giving them credit for

Ted1 will you get onto Taxbae to try and recoup some loss?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

kazamo wrote: »
    Revenue were asked a question and they answered it.
    Speculation by you that the government were involved is just that ...speculation. I saw no newspaper article referring to the government saying no to collection.

They chose not to enforce the rules. Any other BIK such as company car, preferential loans, even a second. One4all voucher in a calendar year is taxable.

It’s like when they choose not to peruse certain taxes when it suits them.
    The government at the time wanted Revenue to collect the water charges and they said no, as the amounts owed were variable. Income tax liabilities for the 600k people under TWSS is also variable, but no issue collecting this.

Revenue have a lot more automy that you are giving them credit for

They also have a lot more to account for than you are taking into consideration.

Revenue have discretion when it comes to persuing taxes on a case by case level, such as where it may be uneconomical to enforce collection, but they do not have discretion on policy. The department of finance would have made the decision that PUP and TWSS would be taxable social welfare payments. Revenue do not have discretion when it comes to government policy, nor should they.

Water charges are a completely different game: the mechanisms for collecting tax on social welfare are already in place in Revenue and their role as collection agent in this regard is well established. Levying the water charges is completely different as it would have involved implementing completely new and additional mechanisms, while the government was already setting up a quango to oversee the whole thing, Irish Water - and aside from all that, the government faced significant opposition from the unions in relation to that proposal. You are not comparing like with like there.

Revenue has autonomy in how it implements legislation and government policy and the manner in which it does so - it does not have any influence over what those policies and laws are. They're not collecting the tax on TWSS and PUP to spite people.

wiggle16 wrote: »
    They also have a lot more to account for than you are taking into consideration.

Revenue have discretion when it comes to persuing taxes on a case by case level, such as where it may be uneconomical to enforce collection, but they do not have discretion on policy. The department of finance would have made the decision that PUP and TWSS would be taxable social welfare payments. Revenue do not have discretion when it comes to government policy, nor should they.

Water charges are a completely different game: the mechanisms for collecting tax on social welfare are already in place in Revenue and their role as collection agent in this regard is well established. Levying the water charges is completely different as it would have involved implementing completely new and additional mechanisms, while the government was already setting up a quango to oversee the whole thing, Irish Water - and aside from all that, the government faced significant opposition from the unions in relation to that proposal. You are not comparing like with like there.

Revenue has autonomy in how it implements legislation and government policy and the manner in which it does so - it does not have any influence over what those policies and laws are. They're not collecting the tax on TWSS and PUP to spite people.

Quite simply if revenue were collecting setter charges , we’d all be paying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

ted1 wrote: »

Which part is not fair?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    You can claim the Single Parent Child Carer (SPCC) tax credit.

I think you can only claim it for 1 child even if you have 3.
    It gives you 1650 tax credits a year.
    You can claim this for the last 4 years (assuming you have been working the last 4 years)
    you might be owed alot of money depending on how much tax you have paid over the last few years.

Great thanks I'm gonna print the form off and send it on. Will go towards my tax bill. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭raclle

mickdw wrote: »
    What about the situation where someone worked all through yet was having their wages supported by government. There were lots of employees in private sector who got pay cuts even though still working every day and having a large portion of the wages paid by government. These people took home less than normal due to employer basically getting free labour and are now going to have to pay tax. Employee loses out. Employer is the winner.
    hope80 wrote: »
    My issue is that because my employer availed of the subsidy they were only allowed to pay me my average net pay and now I am going to be landed with a tax liability on this so technically i have taken a pay cut while still working to the same level throughout the year. My husband is in the same situation so its a large hit to our household. I have no problem paying taxes etc on money I earn but this is totally unfair on how it was roled out.
    Since some employers are getting free labour shouldn't the onus be on them to pay the tax instead of the shafted employee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭j_mo

Is anyone else still having issues gaining access to their SOL? I'm still getting a message saying that it'll be available after the 15th.

Thanks

Advertisement