Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch with the most wrist time 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

oldsmokey wrote: »
    Excuse my thick headedness, it looks like a lovely speedy, but how come no omega graphics on the dial?

Sorry mate, just seeing this now.

It is an Alpha M1957 with a Sea Gull ST1903 movement and a sterie dial.

It's a Speedie homage, but a good one, being a column wheel chrono movement, like the original 321 in a late 50s Speedie.

I like it very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

unkel wrote: »
    Snap! Despite having bought and sold 3 Rolex this year and a few very nice Seikos and other watches (Longines, Omega, Hamilton, etc.), I'd say overall the most wrist time went to my Orange Seiko Turtle that I bought for a very modest €150. I should never sell that watch.

Have had it on numerous bracelets and straps. Pictured on a Barton sail cloth. Currently on a (cheap) mesh. Quite like the mesh, have been looking for a good one. Staib is the one I want but these are about €170 new and I can't justify that. Hoping a second hand one will come along at some stage

Not sure you're aware but that's a replica Turtle :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Fitz II

david wrote: »
    Not sure you're aware but that's a replica Turtle :o

Whats the signs????

Fitz II wrote: »
    Whats the signs????

Don't want to piss on anyone's chips as Fitz would say but...

Dial print is off. Should read 4R36 not NH36 (although both movt are identical and made by Seiko, NH36 is the branding for third party reselling) The font weight on the Seiko logo looks too thin. The orange colouring on sunburst dial looks off - could be the camera to be fair. The font size on the day date wheels is off. The hands and lume surrounds look like matt black on this, should be polished metal, again could be camera angle.

The bezel insert has the wrong lume pip, should be smaller and recessed more. The insert should be 25% orange (12-3 o clock) & 75% blue.

Case shape is a different proportion, the natural crown guard should be more scalloped around the 12 & 6 o clock sides.

The general finishing looks messier than an entry level Prospex.

Here's a stock SRPC95 Nemo Turtle for reference:

d7e87ad8-2fbd-4e1c-b75d-ea4ba71c2676

• Registered Users Posts: 64,878 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Thanks david! Not at all p1ssing on my chips, you are doing me a favour.

The thought of a €150 watch being faked! What's next, a fake F-91W? :p

• Advertisement

Thanks david! Not at all p1ssing on my chips, you are doing me a favour.

The thought of a €150 watch being faked! What's next, a fake F-91W? :p

Arnt genuine "Nemos" about 500 euro or more? The F91w is one of the most faked watches out there https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGuJAJ0I1Cg&ab_channel=navsan

Still open the back and see what inside, use a hammer. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭micks_address

Arnt genuine "Nemos" about 500 euro or more? The F91w is one of the most faked watches out there https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGuJAJ0I1Cg&ab_channel=navsan

Still open the back and see what inside, use a hammer. :pac:

It’s got seiko parts in it so while maybe not what you expect if it works it’s not all bad. Same as a seiko mod really

It’s got seiko parts in it so while maybe not what you expect if it works it’s not all bad. Same as a seiko mod really
    Exactly, sure if it’s your most worn watch this year you’ve got the value out of it anyway

I like the watch, but knowing it's a fake leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Thankfully the seller on adverts seems decent and has offered a refund if I send it back to him. That means I am now down to just 2 watches: a James Cameron and a James Cameron homage that's for sale :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

Fair enough, right not it must feel like you've fallen in love with a beautiful girl over the last year only to be told that she used to be called Fred; but look on the bright side. You've had a years free wear of a watch you really enjoyed and now have a jolly great excuse to go shopping for a new beater. Probably one of the most enjoyable segments to start exploring.

• Advertisement

She was never beautiful, but I guess Fred was a good ride :D

The Rolex is the beater though. Worn pretty much 24/7. Although maybe that's because we are still in our honeymoon period :o

Just goes to show how easy it is for even experienced watch buyers to accidentally land on a fake, especially when there is a bargain price clouding your judgement.. This is why there must be zero tolerance. For me Unkle I would ask for a refund but send the watch back in 1000 pieces, no need for another snide to be out there in circulation

I wouldn't call myself an experienced watch buyer when it comes to looking out for fakes, quite the contrary, my skills of feature recognition are poor. And I wouldn't even have looked out for any signs in such a cheap watch. Thankfully the eagle eye of david sorted me out there.

The seller seems genuine, even in the original ad he stated he got it as a present. If I had had no comeback from him, I would have smashed it up and shown the pictures here, don't care if it has some genuine Seiko parts. I doubt the seller will try sell it again, but I will specifically ask him not to do so. And I will keep an eye on his adverts profile just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭54and56

Worn pretty much every day in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020.

WXbFXXQ.jpg

Only times it's not worn are:-

- Playing sport / training.
    - Sleeping (don't know why but I always take it off at night.)
    - Lads type weekends / golf trips where things can and have gotten a bit hairy. I'd feel particularly stupid if I was mugged at 3am on some street in Faro because someone had spotted the watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭893bet

I like the watch, but knowing it's a fake leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Thankfully the seller on adverts seems decent and has offered a refund if I send it back to him. That means I am now down to just 2 watches: a James Cameron and a James Cameron homage that's for sale :eek:

Good stuff. Make sure you keep an eye on an adverts to see if they sell it a second time!

We will see how decent they are!

Edit-just see you said you are gonna do this this....I should read all replies first ��

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

The day wheel looked a bit wonky too.

Fair play - that is incredibly decent of them!

54and56 wrote:
    Lads type weekends / golf trips where things can and have gotten a bit hairy. I'd feel particularly stupid if I was mugged at 3am on some street in Faro because someone had spotted the watch.

Put your watch as a named all risk item on your home insurance and you are covered for that too. Great peace of mind :D

Put your watch as a named all risk item on your home insurance and you are covered for that too. Great peace of mind :D

The front teeth they kick out will cost more than the watch. No problem in Ireland but some places in the world are bad for muggings.

The front teeth they kick out will cost more than the watch. No problem in Ireland but some places in the world are bad for muggings.

Or having to spend a day in the police station in Spain to get a crime number, and then argue with the insurance company. All risks policies on multiple 10k watches results in the cost of a watch as a premium. I don’t take risks when on a session in Ireland even ( seems a long time ago). More worried about me losing it by popping a spring bar or deployant popping open ( happens slot on my 5167) while breakdancing like the 21 ye old I am.

• Advertisement

The front teeth they kick out will cost more than the watch.

I'll give you the business Fitz :p Could do with some nice shiners like Paul Thorpe :p
    893bet wrote: »
    All risks policies on multiple 10k watches results in the cost of a watch as a premium.

That's a bit exaggerated. Costs in the order of 1% of the value of the watch for a 10k watch. For the first watch, I presume subsequent watches are cheaper as you can only wear one out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

I'll give you the business Fitz :p Could do with some nice shiners like Paul Thorpe :p

That's a bit exaggerated. Costs in the order of 1% of the value of the watch for a 10k watch. For the first watch, I presume subsequent watches are cheaper as you can only wear one out.

Saw Lionel Richie at a concert last year and I’m pretty sure he managed to wear two watches!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭54and56

I hear you unkel and do have it insured as an all risk item on the house insurance but as the other posters have said it's not so much the financial loss its:-

1. I don't want to have the sh1t kicked out of me because someone spotted I've a nice watch and decided a 50 year old man pi$$ed up at 3am, whether with one or two equally pi$$ed up pals or not, would be an easy target. It happened to a guy who travelled with us to Portugal a few years ago and completely messed up the trip. Against our agreed ground rules he decided to do a solo run back to the apartment around 2am but between leaving the bar (without telling the rest of us) and getting a cab he was mugged and ended up with a broken cheek bone, black eyes, a cracked rib etc. A kind soul found and brought him back to the apartment where we found him and we ended up calling an ambulance, going to the hospital, reporting to the local police etc. Complete nightmare. Poor guy still has the marks from the broken cheekbone to this day and it doesn't him any favours career wise I can tell you as cheekbones don't repair very well!!

2. I really like "this" watch. It was a present from my wife and I want to pass it on to my son in due course so even if I did get a cheque for it's full replacement value I'd still be at a considerable "sentimental" loss.

3. I have to have some excuse / reason to wear some of the other (much less expensive) watches I have and do like to throw on from time to time.

JESUS MAN....I can do a far better job than the cross eyed butcher that glued those abominations into trustworthy Pauls gob.....:pac:

Who are you insured with. Sounds like I need to shop around.

Zurich. Not sure how much my premium increased when I put my first Rolex as named all risk item though, but it was relatively little. Now I only have one valuable watch, you have a few more of them of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Just renewed my insurance yesterday. Checked there and all risks for watches/jewellery was €5.61 per 1k value with Zurich.

mailforkev wrote: »
    Just renewed my insurance yesterday. Checked there and all risks for watches/jewellery was €5.61 per 1k value with Zurich.

That exceptional value IMO.

Aye. Basically you are quids in if you reckon that in the next 200 years you might lose at least 1 watch :D

Very glad I had my wife's engagement ring as an all risk named item as the diamond fell out of it and got lost a few years ago. To my shame I hadn't thought of increasing the value of it over the years, so our insurance pay out was well below replacement value, but thankfully we have (had) a jeweller in the family who sorted us out.

• Advertisement

Very glad I had my wife's engagement ring as an all risk named item as the diamond fell out of it and got lost a few years ago. To my shame I hadn't thought of increasing the value of it over the years, so our insurance pay out was well below replacement value, but thankfully we have (had) a jeweller in the family who sorted us out.

Hope the diamond was real :pac::pac::pac::pac: had too, its too easy

Advertisement