Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some Nature Pictures I Took Recently - II (Seasonal Photos)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭leche solara

Meet the family

Rat with human like hands

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭Bsal

Yellowhammer

Female Wheatear

Male Blackbird

Starling

Moorhen chick and jay

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭glaswegian

Cormorant at Balisodare.

• Advertisement

Mallards on the mud.

Black tailed Godwits.

Wren gathering nesting material

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Watching this guy for ages catching food flying off I presume to a nest and back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

dont see many of these on my feeders in sw donegal - although apparently going to see more (apologies for the rough phone pic ! and cant rotate

however wish the cuckoo would shut up, its dark FFS 😁

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Caterpillars demise

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Hedge rows of Hawthorn and Blackthorn spectacularly in flower this year .

Pic this evening Ardfert Co. Kerry

Couple of nights ago on the Kerry coast, Wheatear, Stonechat and Swallow . Last pic couple of weeks ago of a Bank vole in the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,691 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Small creatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭Bsal

Fledgling Starling

Robin in the garden today.

An Owl Butterfly I believe, taken on the camera phone today at Fota Tropical House in Cork. Also a local Heron checking out the place.

Chased this Orange Tip butterfly with my phone, and every time I got close it took off again. Eventually it stopped and I got close enough to take this shot. It was only when I got home and looked at the picture properly that I noticed I'd got a bonus hoverfly.

Coots

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Be right back

Busy, busy.

• Advertisement

Little Grebe.

Stonechat.

Damselfly

Mallard.

Amongst the Flies.

Great crested Grebe.

Moorhen.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Promised I'd throw up a few pictures from my trip of South Africa up to Kenya. Apologies about the quality, they're all camera phone pics as I've yet to download the memory card from my digital camera. The big cats are all rescues from private owners who gave them up, owning a lion or tiger is still legal in South Africa

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

These ones from Namibia

Oryx in the desert

Black backed jackal

Stayed up late at a waterhole last night, was about to go back to my tent at 1am but then this male and female white rhino showed up and put on a 90 minute display of a mating ritual. They went horn to horn for ages with the male then chasing the female around the waterhole. The deed didn't get done there but it was epic to watch just 20 metres away

Finally the bit the safari holiday brochures don't show you, the wildlife papparrazzi of which I was one;)

As an aside for the keen wildlife photographers on this forum who always wanted to go then know that safaris in Africa don't have to cost an arm and a leg. Etosha National Park in Namibia where the above pictures were taken is known as a value safari destination compared to Kenya & Tanzania. It's a self drive safari so you just rent a 4x4 jeep with roof tent for about €70 a day and the national park entry is only €7.50 per person per 24 hours spent inside the park. Then off you go and the wildlife really isn't hard to find. Then the campsites in the park have waterholes where you sit and enjoy the action taking place after dark. Bars and restaurants are on the campsites too with reasonable prices for dinner.

Off to Botswana tomorrow so I'll post next week after a visit to Chobe National Park which claims to have some 20,000 elephants inside it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭foxsake

@Muahahaha I was in Namibia this exact time last year. did a month travelling there and flew to cape town for 10 days.

was unreal experience. your photos brought back some beautiful memories.

I'd second that Etosha is cheap as chips to go see safari - we did 4 days there.

So jealous you got that close to the lions...

Advertisement