Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some Nature Pictures I Took Recently - II (Seasonal Photos)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyway thats it from me for the wildlife photos. Although Im only 150km from the Masai Mara and the Great Migration is on right now Ive seen so many big cats in the last few months backpacking in Africa Ive decided not to go. It sounds weird but you can actually have too much of a good thing and the Serengeti absolutely blew me away so now the Masai Mara holds less value as both parks border each other so the scenery and wildlife is all the same.

So Im going to move on to Uganda, Rwanda and then Egypt before flying home as at this point Im completely safari-ed out. I might and go see the chimpanzees in Uganda and if I do I'll post. But otherwise I hope you enjoyed and hope some of you proper wildlife photographers here get to head out to Africa some day. If you need any tips on how to do it on a budget like I did then feel free to PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭leche solara

The passengers in the balloon could be in big trouble if it blew off course and landed in the wrong place

I had a chat with the safari guide about this and the hot air balloons dont fly in high winds. But regardless of that they are also tracked to their landing zone by park rangers who are armed. If theres lions in the landing zone they fly further. But if the balloon did land near a pride of lions the rangers are on hand to prevent an attack. They would shoot a lion rather than bear the negative PR of a tourist losing their life to one.

In any case lions and other big cats are not the major danger to humans in Africa. That belongs to hippos who are extremely aggressive and kill humans for sport. They are generally not a threat in daylight hours as they lie asleep all day in waterholes barely moving. But once the sun goes down hippos come out to eat and they will attack and kill any human in its way. Lots of African farmers working their land lose their lives to hippos. They are the single biggest threat and they can be found in all kinds of places where there is standing water, not just in national parks. I had three of them just 20 metres from my bedroom window near a beach in Malawi a few weeks ago.

Wren yoga

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭glaswegian

Meadow Pipit.

Curlew calling.

Morning light.

Heron with catch

Osprey with Fish, Balisodare Co Sligo.

• Advertisement

Cormorant.

Grey Heron.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Was only saying I must get out taking pictures again after the busy summer when I heard this fella in the field behind me. Buzzard after a feed I reckon , can see fur or feathers on its beak and talons, it was perched there for quite some time giving the odd call, been hearing them regularly, might have moved into the area. Camera on the ready.

Black tailed Godwit.

Godwit.

AAAAAAARGH, feckin Lego.

Diving for dinner.

Rook.

Heron

Cormorants.

• Advertisement

Egret.

Teal.

Drying out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,507 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

White Tailed Eagle pair, Ballysadare, Co Sligo.

Peregrine Falcon predating on a Teal.

Dodder otter

Dodder fox

I watched as this big Seal stole the breakfast Fish from the Great northern Diver.

• Advertisement

Curious Rook.

Advertisement