Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Australian Open 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

1-1

GAME ON!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Halep is playing very well here, believe she can do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Spoke too soon. Halep takes the second set 6-4.

Very comfortable hold from halep, williams looking a small bit sluggish by her old standards. Great contest now.

Very comfortable hold from halep, williams looking a small bit sluggish by her old standards. Great contest now.

Halep on top now, moving Serena around the court. Halep is tearing around the court

What a point for break point.

Halep missed 2 break points there, I have a feeling Serena will sneak this one ...

make that 3 .... deuce ... huge game ..

3-3 I think that could be it for Halep ... shame..

• Advertisement

Needs first serves, just getting smacked on second now

Serena breaks.
    Sickening.

Halep has been far better this set :(

Had her chances so can’t complain, williams found another gear here when it was needed to be fair to her.

Just hope Simona holds here and gives herself a small chance of getting back into it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Urgh. Well, after Halep rolled over in the first set all I wanted was for her to make a match of it, potentially take a set, so I guess I can't complain.

Not gonna get a whole lot easier for Serena, Pliskova next, potentially followed by Osaka and Kvitova. Serena-Osaka is the match I want to see the most though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Johnmb wrote: »
    Maybe that's due to the fact that she hasn't played regularly for so long. She had been stop-starting with her career before the ban due to injuries, then served the ban, and then has been back to stop-starting due to injuries. Kind of hard to get any form going when you can't get a decent run of matches together.

The drug she was taking wasn't banned for most of the time she took it, and didn't stop her injuries while she was taking it. That's not how it works. It's not even classed as a PED, or at least wasn't when she was banned, and as far as I know, it still isn't. It's a bit silly to be trying to pass off her lack of form as something to do with a drug that doesn't give form to begin with. The injuries, coupled with a lengthy ban, are more than enough to explain her lack of consistency.

Personally I think your explanation is a bunch of codswallop, but in any case, if this is a legit explanation then why didn’t she just say this instead of avoiding the question like an entitled spoilt brat?

Urgh. Well, after Halep rolled over in the first set all I wanted was for her to make a match of it, potentially take a set, so I guess I can't complain.

Not gonna get a whole lot easier for Serena, Pliskova next, potentially followed by Osaka and Kvitova. Serena-Osaka is the match I want to see the most though.

Disappointed Halep lost that match, she was on top in the middle of third set and Serena looked to be gasping at one stage. Halep really needed to win that game at 3-2 on Serena's serve. Fair play to Serena she got herself out of trouble with her serve in that game. If she had of won that game for 4-2 lead I don't think Serena would have come back from that.

• Advertisement

Wow ! Djokovic just gets it done in 1st set, actually better winning it this way then serving it out ...

Gonna be a long long match I think, this Medvedev looks sharp

T E N N I S ! ! !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Personally I think your explanation is a bunch of codswallop, but in any case, if this is a legit explanation then why didn’t she just say this instead of avoiding the question like an entitled spoilt brat?
    You know, in all my years here, this is the first time I've ever come across someone who has resorted to childish name-calling. I'll leave it there so...

Floppybits wrote: »
    Disappointed Halep lost that match, she was on top in the middle of third set and Serena looked to be gasping at one stage. Halep really needed to win that game at 3-2 on Serena's serve. Fair play to Serena she got herself out of trouble with her serve in that game. If she had of won that game for 4-2 lead I don't think Serena would have come back from that.

Yep, that game was crucial, and I knew as soon Halep didn't break then Serena wouldn't lose from there. Serena still has it all to do though.

We'll also more than likely have a new world #1, probably Kvitova or Osaka. Whoever does it I hope they do so by winning the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Yep, that game was crucial, and I knew as soon Halep didn't break then Serena wouldn't lose from there. Serena still has it all to do though.

We'll also more than likely have a new world #1, probably Kvitova or Osaka. Whoever does it I hope they do so by winning the title.

I'd love if kvitova became No. 1. For a player of her caliber it would be disappointing if she never got to the Top ranking. However she will have her hands full with barty. they only played the sydney final recently and i think Barty will learn a lot from that. Kvitova needs to be at her ruthless best to get past her.

I do feel it might be too early in Osaka's career for her to be No. 1, im not sure how she will take the pressure. Though she has been confounding all my expectations so far in dealing with pressure so maybe she would go on to dominate.

• Advertisement

You know, in all my years here, this is the first time I've ever come across someone who has resorted to childish name-calling. I'll leave it there so...

Good. Keep your head in the sand for all I care.

I wonder why she’d want to associate herself with Victor Conte by the way.

https://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php?threads/victor-conte-implicates-maria-sharapova-for-doping.444876/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,154 ✭✭✭✭josip

Medvedev takes the 2nd set. 1-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Medvedev takes the 2nd set. Some great from him! Djokovic looked sloppy and was spraying shots all over. Expecting Djokovic to go up a gear in the next set.

Epic stuff there on Margaret Court Arena.

Have to say I don’t like the fact they’ve made MCA a show court. I’ve been to many matches on that court when it was open to all and it was always packed to the rafters. Now there’s constantly empty seats because it is a ticketed court with corporate heads etc. sure they’ve made Melbourne Arena open to ground pass holders instead, which has bigger capacity, but I never warmed to that court. The multi-purpose nature of that venue makes it feel like not a real tennis stadium.

Raonic beats Zevrev in 3 sets 6-1,6-1, 7-6.

Disappointing. Poor control mentally. I'm sure that he'll win at least a couple of GS eventually but still. Although raonic is a bit of a nightmare to play against when on form as he appears to be.

Tsitsipas showing more in the headspace dept at this event so far.

Maybe he'll be the real deal.

What is Djokovic up to in this match, one second he is out on his feet, the next he making impossible balls? Is it a tactic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

What is Djokovic up to in this match, one second he is out on his feet, the next he making impossible balls? Is it a tactic?
    Not the first time (and it won't be the last) he has used that tactic. I remember one of the AO finals vs. Murray and he was at it, really distracted Murray

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Granted, I'm not watching, but hasn't he been known for this much of his career?

Djokovic came through comfortably enough in the end - Medvedev cracked towards the end of the 4th set after threatening to get back the early break. So much of tennis at the elite level is the mental side where guys like Nadal and Djokovic just have that edge.

Loomis wrote: »
    Granted, I'm not watching, but hasn't he been known for this much of his career?

The commentators were mentioning it, how they had written him off during matches and then he comes back. The commentators were saying he is probably trying to conserve energy for the next match.

He should be called out for it and the players shouldn't let him away with it. Then again his opponents never seem to punish him when he starts it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

The commentators were mentioning it, how they had written him off during matches and then he comes back. The commentators were saying he is probably trying to conserve energy for the next match.

He should be called out for it and the players shouldn't let him away with it. Then again his opponents never seem to punish him when he starts it

I can't think of specifics, but feel like people probably did at some point. They definitely called him out earlier in his career where he retired quite a bit for tiredness and 'injury'.

I think that too much emphasis can be placed on this sometimes - maybe there is a bit of gamesmanship but I guess that it's part of the game - the opponent has to be able to not let it get to them.

now calling in medics for massages etc just to gain an advantage is not on I would agree.

glasso wrote: »
    I think that too much emphasis can be placed on this sometimes - maybe there is a bit of gamesmanship but I guess that it's part of the game - the opponent has to be able to not let it get to them.

now calling in medics for massages etc just to gain an advantage is not on I would agree.
    Sampras used to do the same thing. Only player I ever recall calling him out on it was Courier during a match. It's been going on for a long time, not just by Djokovic, and it's a the lower end of the spectrum for gaining an unfair advantage I'd have thought. Getting massages, and taking medical time outs and toilet breaks just to take away an opponent's momentum, are much worse abuses and need to be clamped down on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

and toilet breaks

Ah now lad :pac:

You have to let that one slide. After playing a couple sets and a bottle of water or two, everyone needs to run inside for a minute!

Rob2D wrote: »

You have to let that one slide. After playing a couple sets and a bottle of water or two, everyone needs to run inside for a minute!

yes but Sharapova had to go for a long sh1t the other day - coincidentally just after being thrashed in the second set 6-1

total delay was over 7 minutes.

the middle of a big grand slam match not a time to be labouring over a steamer

somebody should have shouted in to cut that log off.

It was blatant gamesmanship by sharapova but I thought barty handled it really well, kept herself composed and possibly even used it to her own advantage. Having crowd on her side did help admittedly. Like her attitude a lot, herself and Osaka look to have the requisite mental strength to reach the top I think. Confident she’ll give kvitova a good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

just watched the 'controversial' Carreno-Busta / Nishikori final set tiebreaker, C-B can feel screwed by the umpire on the point that turned the tie breaker, but throwing your bag kit bag around the gaff simply isn't cricket.

just to say, I find it hard to believe that Nishikori is 29 and Raonic is 28..and they only have a couple of slam final defeats between them..

lostcat wrote: »
    just watched the 'controversial' Carreno-Busta / Nishikori final set tiebreaker, C-B can feel screwed by the umpire on the point that turned the tie breaker, but throwing your bag kit bag around the gaff simply isn't cricket.

just to say, I find it hard to believe that Nishikori is 29 and Raonic is 28..and they only have a couple of slam final defeats between them..

I was just going to post about the Carreno-Busta tantrum. Never seen the tennis bag being thrown around. Thats a new one.

Double post

• Advertisement

Rob2D wrote: »

I'm not saying don't allow it, but I think it should be within the existing time constraints. If players start losing points because they aren't back on court within the normal change of ends or end of set time periods, I'd say you'd have a lot less toilet breaks been taken, and those that do happen will be both necessary and as quick as humanly possible!

Same goes for medical treatment, assessment only within the allotted time period, otherwise point penalties, and no actual treatment by the doctor/physio allowed. The medic can advise as to what they think is wrong, and how serious it may be, and then it is up to the player to decide if they can play on, or if they are too badly injured to continue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭Scottish Jodi

This Tsitsipas geezer is playing a great Australian Open and looks the real deal :).

I reckon he will fall in 5 sets though and, later on Rafa will comprehensively beat Tiafoe in 3.

In ladies competition, I have Collins winning in 3 and Kvitova in straight sets.

I'm not saying don't allow it, but I think it should be within the existing time constraints. If players start losing points because they aren't back on court within the normal change of ends or end of set time periods, I'd say you'd have a lot less toilet breaks been taken, and those that do happen will be both necessary and as quick as humanly possible!

Same goes for medical treatment, assessment only within the allotted time period, otherwise point penalties, and no actual treatment by the doctor/physio allowed. The medic can advise as to what they think is wrong, and how serious it may be, and then it is up to the player to decide if they can play on, or if they are too badly injured to continue.

Depends on where the toilets are located. On outside courts the toilets can be a couple of minutes away.

Besides if they are sweating that much they shouldn't need the toilet.

This Tsitsipas geezer is playing a great Australian Open and looks the real deal :).

I reckon he will fall in 5 sets though and, later on Rafa will comprehensively beat Tiafoe in 3.

In ladies competition, I have Collins winning in 3 and Kvitova in straight sets.

Don't think that he would trouble Nadal too much yet, assuming Nadal beats Tafoe and that his body doesn't break down. Happy to be proved wrong.

Kvitová playing as well as I’ve seen for a while, fancy her to win it out on current form.

Tiafoe bemused and confused so far in his encounter with the Nadal beast.

1st set gone pretty quickly.

• Advertisement

and Tiafoe broken in the first game of the second set.

Nadal seems to have worked on his serve - he's hitting aces now. That was never a significant part of his game.

You know I started this tournament hating this guy, but f*ck it now I hope he wins, such strength and dedication .... jesus ... he is sacrificing his old age for all this, guy won't be able to walk when he's 50!!

Posting a screenshot to show I didn't make it up (and yes I am aware it means pain killing or other legal stuff ... but still it's funny :D )

46785142722_9a58ba4f02_c.jpg

:D:D:D

This is going to be all over in under 2 hours.

Crazy to think that in 2018 Nadal retired or withdrew from 11 hard-court tournaments.

He completed only 1.

Nice to see Nadal being given a tough match here.

Delighted Petra's in the semi's, was quite emotional when she welled up on court. Amazing she's got back to this level. Just hope she doesn't mess it up by losing to Collins.

• Advertisement
Advertisement