Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signs that you're getting old

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,523 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

IV always had a full head of hair black hair which is good as i'm now approaching 40 but I'm starting to notice in the last 3 months it's receding and quickly out of no where

It's funny because I have absolute no problem with shaving it all off but the missus is totally against it and thinks I should keep it, Iv a feeling its going to get ridicules looking by the end of the summer and she'll be all for me getting rid ,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

It's funny because I have absolute no problem with shaving it all off but the missus is totally against it and thinks I should keep it, Iv a feeling its going to get ridicules looking by the end of the summer and she'll be all for me getting rid ,

Word of warning...a buddy of mine had a fantastic mane of hair in his early 20s. Used hair gel, the works. No hint of baldness or anything of the sort.

But anyway, about 20 years for some reason he decided to shave it all off down to the skin assuming it would just grow back.

It never grew back properly and when it did he had an island...totally receded with bald patch and mostly grey to rub it in. Bascially he has had to keep shaving it bald since to look some bit respectable.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭505_

When kids ask is a duster the same as a broom/sweeping brush and then follow up by asking what a blackboard is.

Word of warning...a buddy of mine had a fantastic mane of hair in his early 20s. Used hair gel, the works. No hint of baldness or anything of the sort.

But anyway, about 20 years for some reason he decided to shave it all off down to the skin assuming it would just grow back.

It never grew back properly and when it did he had an island...totally receded with bald patch and mostly grey to rub it in. Bascially he has had to keep shaving it bald since to look some bit respectable.

Your mate sounds like he was doing what iv started to do and that's hide it:D
    When i brush my hair and put a bit of product in it you wouldn't have a breeze, and think im nuts that I have loads of hair but like you buddy once I shave it the truth will be seen and there will be no coming back :D

Your mate sounds like he was doing what iv started to do and that's hide it:D
    When i brush my hair and put a bit of product in it you wouldn't have a breeze, and think im nuts that I have loads of hair but like you buddy once I shave it the truth will be seen and there will be no coming back :D

When we would go out on the piss he would spend ages putting gel in his hair and putting water in it for that 'wet' look.

I was telling his wife this a few years ago and she just pissed herself. She never knew him with a head of hair.

• Advertisement

When we would go out on the piss he would spend ages putting gel in his hair and putting water in it for that 'wet' look.

I was telling his wife this a few years ago and she just pissed herself. She never knew him with a head of hair.

Defo using the gel and time to hide the balding spots :D
    Trust me you know your own tricks best :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

In fairness yourdeadwright you have probably done ok if your only loosing it now as you approach 40. I know a few guys who had lost a considerable amount of hair by their early 20's and a few who were completely bald by their mid to late 20's. I think general rule of thumb is that on balance a man will have lost 40% of his hair by 40 years old, 50% of his hair by 50 years old, 60% of his hair by 60 years old etc.... This is as I say a general rule of thumb or averages and there are many who don't follow suit, whether for the better or for worse.

There was also a guy in my class at secondary school who had a very significant amount of grey hair as we were doing the leaving cert:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

Listening to Enya before going to bed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

Nose hair and ear hair.
    Making a noise when going from sitting to standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    Nose hair and ear hair.
    I haven't noticed anything coming out of my ears yet but I've had to use the auld trimmer on the nostrils.

• Advertisement

When you see a trend re-emerging for the third time in your life.

505_ wrote: »
    When kids ask is a duster the same as a broom/sweeping brush and then follow up by asking what a blackboard is.

They don't use blackboards in schools anymore?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

When you see a trend re-emerging for the third time in your life.

I still have the denim jacket hanging in the wardrobe, waiting for that day.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

If you are never in fashion you will never go out of fashion. That is my mantra.

God bless the old Levi's denim jacket circa 1988. It is definitely still at my parents house.

Also, old football jersey's are all the rage. Some good money to be made if you can dig them out.

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    Nose hair and ear hair.

Is it just me or do nose and ear hairs growm back ten times faster once pulled?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

If you're on the North side on Grindr and Northcider doesn't hit you with a "hey man, you take a nice photo" it's absolutely time to give it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ablelocks

i have a 70's style leather jacket waiting too - it's like something you'd see in The first season of The Deuce. it wasn't in style when i wore it, it's not in style now (i think?) but someday....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭AllForIt

You find yourself empathizing with Christians.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ablelocks

wearing gloves outdoors when it's cold.

i started wearing them so dogs lead wouldn't strip the skin from my hands, but now i put them on every time i go outside...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Earhair.

Also, in work my team was all having a similar conversation to this. They are all in early-mid 30's. I said "Guys, when I was born they were still sending people to the moon!!!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Earhair.

Also, in work my team was all having a similar conversation to this. They are all in early-mid 30's. I said "Guys, when I was born they were still sending people to the moon!!!"

I'm 30 and I always eye roll when I hear my friends go on like this. You're in your early 30's, just out of your 20's, you're still young, just not let's go on a sun holiday and spend every night blackout drunk young. Which is a good thing.

You have not bought a new album since 2003.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

When the wife gives you strange looks after playing football manager for 5 hours and 10 cans all before lunch time

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

You get that thing where your memory fades. What's that called again? Anemia? No, Armenia? Oh, Amnesia!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭dublin49

every actor from programmes of your childhood are either dead,dying or suffering from dementia.Could not believe John Noakes was in his 80's when he died a few year back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

You think of something or someone and realist that was 40 years ago and think how could that be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭bullpost

When you find records in your sons collection from your era that were totally naff back then, but now are as cool as f**k

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

You know what a tracker mortgage is,
    you actually read articles about pensions and investments,
    You buy clothes that are cheap ,you no longer keep up with whats in fashion,you have friends that are are on their second marriage .
    When you go to a shop employees call you sir.
    You no longer even try to keep up with new music, your favourite radio station is nova or classics hits.
    If you buy a cd its more likely to be a greatest hits collection than a new release .
    once the winter is here you always wear a warm coat, hat and gloves outside.
    if you wear sneakers you always have socks on.
    you only buy a new phone when the old one is nearly falling apart.
    Your favourite programs are now being remade with a new cast,
    eg magnum pi, macgyer.
    your friends kids are getting married .
    you have an old crt tv or monitor you never use.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

The movies you grew up with are being remade (This does not apply to Spiderman which is remade every 2 years or so)

• Advertisement

Fleetwood Mac come on the radio...and you do not rush to change the channel.

Advertisement