Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion Discussion, Part Trois

Options

Comments

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    It doesn't actually.
    This does not say anything about "for an abortion" no matter how much you'd like it to.

Care to explain what the 13th Amendment sets out to do in your view?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Daith wrote: »
    The fact you're continuing to misread it knowing full well it's the reason we have women travelling daily to have abortions astounds me
    The fact you are adding extra words to a constitutional amendment in your own head astounds me likewise.

Care to explain what the 13th Amendment sets out to do in your view?
    Uphold the Irish constitution within our borders.
    State Irish laws only apply within Ireland.

I get you think this bill is specifically allowing travel for abortion, but that's not what it says. It says travel is not restricted by Irish law. (unless you add extra wording in your imagination)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

It doesn't actually.
    This does not say anything about "for an abortion" no matter how much you'd like it to.
    "This subsection shall not limit freedom to travel [...]". (Emph added. But seemingly required.) Most of us haven't forgotten which subsection it is we're talking about. "No matter how much you'd like us to," as it were.

Y'know, the one on, well, abortion.

alaimacerc wrote: »
    "This subsection shall not limit freedom to travel [...]". (Emph added. But seemingly required.) Most of us haven't forgotten which subsection it is we're talking about. "No matter how much you'd like us to," as it were.

Y'know, the one on, well, abortion.
    See above. It is not complicated to say "here's law X, law X does not trump law Y" without specifying anything further. Which is what they did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭Daith

But that line does not mention ABORTION. It doesn't have to. It is quite trivial to say "travel is not restricted" as an absolute.

It DOESNT HAVE TO..

Do you honestly think people voting to insert this amendment after the 8th amendment didn't think this was about right to travel to access abortion services?

The 8th amendment doesn't mention the word abortion either but we know what it's there for don't we?

It DOESNT HAVE TO..
    IT DOES HAVE TO if you're pretending it's specifically allowing travel for abortion. The words just aren't there.
    It very specifically says Rule 1, this does not infringe on trump rule Rule 2.

You've saying the Irish constitution had to be modified to say it was to be upheld in Ireland? This is to say that it's saying nothing.
    And this is flat-out wrong. First, it's not within a bull roar of the actual wording. And secondly, it's contradicted by actual universal jurisdiction asserted in some areas.
    I get you think this bill is specifically allowing travel for abortion, but that's not what it says. It says travel is not restricted by Irish law. (unless you add extra wording in your imagination)
    No, it's saying that travel is not restricted by the anti-abortion clause. It can be -- and is -- restricted otherwise.

Unless your imagination is allowing you to ignore words that are very plainly there...

IT DOES HAVE TO if you're pretending it's specifically allowing travel for abortion. The words just aren't there.
    It very specifically says Rule 1, this does not infringe on trump rule Rule 2.

The word abortion doesn't appear anywhere!

That's a strange enough reading of it. Any idea why they used the terms "this subsection" instead of just writing what you have?
    See above. It is not complicated to say "here's law X, law X does not trump law Y" without specifying anything further. Which is what they did.

Again, note the term "this subsection".

• Advertisement

It DOESNT HAVE TO..

Do you honestly think people voting to insert this amendment after the 8th amendment didn't think this was about right to travel to access abortion services?

The 8th amendment doesn't mention the word abortion either but we know what it's there for don't we?
    IT DOESN'T HAVE TO.
    Yet again, it just presents new part X and says this does not affect existing stuff Y. IT DOES NOT SAY "existing stuff Y specifically when it comes to part X". It just says existing stuff Y still takes precedent.

IT DOESN'T HAVE TO.
    Yet again, it just presents new part X and says this does not affect existing stuff Y. IT DOES NOT SAY "existing stuff Y specifically when it comes to part X". It just says existing stuff Y still takes precedent.

Yes the prohibition on abortion (which again doesn't appear anywhere) doesn't effect the women's right to travel.

No, it's saying that travel is not restricted by the anti-abortion clause. It can be -- and is -- restricted otherwise.

Unless your imagination is allowing you to ignore words that are very plainly there...
    How is saying that travel is not restricted by this clause explicitly stating that Irish law is "wrong" or contradictoty within Ireland?

Yes the prohibition on abortion (which again doesn't appear anywhere) doesn't effect the women's right to travel.
    And how is this contradictory to Irish law being applied within Ireland?

How is saying that travel is not restricted by this clause explicitly stating that Irish law is "wrong" or contradictoty within Ireland?

It allows women to travel and avail of abortion services.

Without the 13th amendment a woman could be stopped from travelling to have an abortion if it was known this was the reason.
    And how is this contradictory to Irish law being applied within Ireland?

It gives the rights of the unborn less rights if a women is travelling to avail of abortion services. Seems pretty contradictory.

It allows women to travel and avail of abortion services.

Without the 13th amendment a woman could be stopped from travelling to have an abortion if it was known.
    But you still haven't stated how this is contradictory to Irish law applying within Ireland. Another try perhaps?

But you still haven't stated how this is contradictory to Irish law applying within Ireland. Another try perhaps?

Does the fetus have less rights now that the mother is in the UK?

It gives women a constitutional right to travel with the full knowledge they are availing of services which are illegal in Ireland.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Absolam wrote: »
    Nevertheless, as I said, I think killing someone is worse than raping someone.

So doctors who perform abortions are worse than rapists?

It gives the rights of the unborn less rights if a women is travelling to avail of abortion services. Seems pretty contradictory.
    No it doesn't. It permits travel to countries where the laws can be anything you like and says this cannot be restricted. There is no change in the status of the unborn when in Ireland.

Does the fetus have less rights now that the mother is in the UK?

It gives women a constitutional right to travel with the full knowledge they are availing of services which are illegal in Ireland.
    And? We don't have a list of every law in every country on earth somewhere and check it every time somebody goes abroad. No difference here.

• Advertisement

There is no change in the status of the unborn when in Ireland.

There certainly is when the woman returns from the UK though.
    And? We don't have a list of every law in every country on earth somewhere and check it every time somebody goes abroad. No difference here.

Well except the right to travel is specifically under our laws about abortion.....

AFAIR "contradictory" was your choice of wording. I'm personally happier to say it's muddled, hypocritical, and shamelessly expedient.

But it seems you've conceded the "right to travel to have an abortion" point, albeit after much wholly unnecessary protestation.

AFAIR "contradictory" was your choice of wording. I'm personally happier to say it's muddled, hypocritical, and shamelessly expedient.

Indeed. It's hypocritical not contradictory. Which I think I used anyway

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

No it doesn't. It permits travel to countries where the laws can be anything you like and says this cannot be restricted. There is no change in the status of the unborn when in Ireland.

I think you'll find there has been a change,
    Women travels to UK, no "unborn" returns to Ireland.

So "murder" is ok as long as we export it eh?
    :rolleyes:

No it doesn't. It permits travel to countries where the laws can be anything you like and says this cannot be restricted.

Oh dear, we seem to be slipping again. It does not provide any general such permission.

Let me recap the effect of the particular clauses:
    40.3.3.1: No abortion.
    40.3.3.2: Notwithstanding the above, feel free to travel elsewhere to have an abortion.

Oh dear, we seem to be slipping again. It does not provide any general such permission.

Let me recap the effect of the particular clauses:
    40.3.3.1: No abortion.
    40.3.3.2: Notwithstanding the above, feel free to travel elsewhere to have an abortion.

The rights of the unborn is equal to the rights of the mother

Notwithstanding the above this does stop the mother travelling to another country where the rights of the unborn are not equal.

Nothing odd here...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

You must not watch enough courtroom dramas. Hostile witness, notable exception to the "leading question" rule.
    Amusing, but I don't Cabaal was asking if they want to lobby for laws, he was telling them they should, which goes a little further than leading the witness...
    Good to know we're not leavening our political cynicism with any consideration of possible conscience, logic, or consistency on the part of our elected representatives. Avoids any risk of disappointment.
    Well with any luck the conscience of our elected representatives will lead them to represent the views of those who elect them. Since logically, their future as politicians should depend on their electorate. If their electorate is consistent, I suppose.

MrPudding wrote: »
    Which would you do?

MrP

I would not answer the question your honour, as it would show that I don't at heart believe what I say I do. And that the ideal that I defend fails under scrutiny.

Notwithstanding the above this does stop the mother travelling to another country where the rights of the unborn are not equal.
    Presumably it wouldn't have been otherwise read as a prohibition on merely being in a country without such a "right", regardless of intent or action.

Unless of course one buys into the "what people thought they were voting for" conspiracy theories being trotted out on Vinny B last night...

• Advertisement

Almost 1,500 women travelled from Ireland to the Netherlands over a seven year-period to have abortions.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/hundreds-of-irish-women-travel-to-netherlands-for-abortions-1.2352862

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement