Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion Discussion, Part Trois

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

MrPudding wrote: »
    Christ, you are hard work. So what we have here is a thought experiment
    Oddly, I got the idea that Kylith wasn't proposing that I should actually go out out and do one thing or the other.
    My objection was to the notion that being presented with a choice between the two options, that I would choose either one.
    The key thing is, you must choose one of the options.
    And that's the thing; I mustn't. I can choose not to participate, whether it's a real choice, or a hypothetical choice.
    Here is the scenario:
    War has broken out in Europe, you, along with all of your relatives have been captured and are currently being held in an internment camp. The commandant of the camp is a particularly evil person and has presented you with a horrible dilemma. Before you are two 12 year old girls. The girl on the left, you are informed, is 12 weeks pregnant, the pregnancy being the result of a gang rape she suffered at the hands of 6 of the camp guards. The other girl is naked and tied to a bed.
    The commandant has lined all of your relatives, as well as anyone you have spoken to since you were brought to the camp some weeks ago, against a wall faced by 10 guards armed with machine guns.
    You are given a choice. Give the pregnant girl a tablet which will cause her to miscarriage or rape the other girl. If you choose to do neither all of your friends and family, as well as the two girls will be executed.
    Which would you do?
    I think in this case I'm going to wrest the machine gun from the nearest guard, deftly execute the evil commandant whilst quipping merrily in a 1940s heroic style in order to distract the combatants until my doughty family and friends overpower them, and get everyone back to blighty in time for tea and buns. Along the way we'll discover the trauma has excised the memory of rape from the mind of the 12 year old on the left and she has a vague but pleasantly hopeful notion that she is about to be the mother of a new religion of world peace, whilst the girl on the right is contemplating a lucrative career in the construction of alternative bed furniture.

I'm happy to agree that you can construct a novel hypothetical in which you do your utmost to minimise the apparent effect of killing a foetus compared to the effect of raping a child, for instance by presenting it as simply administering a tablet rather than perhaps cutting the child (desperate to create something positive from her horrific rape by becoming the best mother a child could have) open with a blunt rusty blade, and on eventually locating the foetus scooping it out with your fingers, all in all endeavouring to make it appear that killing a foetus is a less heinous act that raping a child.

Nevertheless, as I said, I think killing someone is worse than raping someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Following on from the second abortion thread.

==========================
    Cabaal wrote: »
    So FG and FF don't want to upset the catholics and Renua is claiming open vote but like FF in the ref in May their actual line will be vote no....they just won't openly say it.

Of course, there's Eddie Hobbs, who I think has indicated he's vaguely in favour of some sort of reproductive rights reform. But as he's not actually standing for anything (and has just been given the sinecure of Capitalist Televangelist for Life, it seems), won't matter a bit for any possibility of a referendum. I'd bet that any and all Renuists actually elected anywhere will be of the loudly anti-abortion sort.

Ironically, it might be that the next government might have a greatly weakened "left(ish)" component, but have more leverage for actually demanding action on such issues. Imagine if FG+Lab+SD+ragbag assortment of indies just about scrape a bare majority, and the "left-leaning" elements thereof are explicitly committed to a referendum, and FG haven't ruled it out... FG might accede, but (Tories on AV-like) on the basis they'd be campaigning against.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Either the anti-choice crowd need to man up and lobby for laws to stop women traveling to have an abortion or we finally need to vote on the issue.
    I don't see any contradiction between the right to travel (as ensured in 13th amendment) and Ireland having its own laws, whether I agree with them or not. If we were to prosecute in Ireland for every law that doesn't apply here we'd need to open a few more courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    I don't see any contradiction between the right to travel (as ensured in 13th amendment) and Ireland having its own laws. If we were to prosecute in Ireland for every law that doesn't apply here we'd need to open a few more courts.

If someone told you they were planning to go the UK to kill a person should they be stopped from travelling?

If someone told you they were planning to go the UK to have an abortion should they be stopped from travelling?

We ensure a constitutional right for a women to travel to another country to do something that is a crime here. It's hypocritical.

Ireland exporting its problems once more,
    Either the anti-choice crowd need to man up and lobby for laws to stop women traveling to have an abortion or we finally need to vote on the issue.
    Notwithstanding the amusing notion that you need to tell those who oppose you point of view what they should lobby for, I think we'll have a vote when enough people give a sufficiently clear message to their TDs that their political future depends on it.
    Perhaps if the catholic church changed its stance on sexual health and condom use then we'd have less abortions as it would ensure people are far better educated :) I guess the church can't have it both ways.
    I wonder if that could be quantified? As in how many people were persuaded by the Church stance on contraception but subsequently not persuaded by the Church stance on abortion. Not sure how it's the Church 'having it bnoth ways' but still, interesting.
    Interesting that the catholic church has very much lost power in the Netherlands over the decades, perhaps there's a link :)
    I'd certainly be interested in a link; more in fairness to see how anyone would objectively measure the gain and loss of Church 'power' than anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I don't see any contradiction between the right to travel (as ensured in 13th amendment) and Ireland having its own laws, whether I agree with them or not. If we were to prosecute in Ireland for every law that doesn't apply here we'd need to open a few more courts.

So the pro-life crowd actually have no problem with women traveling to have an abortion even though they see it as murder?

Thats very odd, so its only murder in Ireland? Or they put less of a value on a fetus on UK soil?

Daith wrote: »
    If someone told you they were planning to go the UK to kill a person should they be stopped from travelling?

If someone told you they were planning to go the UK to have an abortion should they be stopped from travelling?

We ensure a constitutional right for a women to travel to another country to do something that is a crime here. It's hypocritical.
    Being that murder is a crime in the UK, I don't really see what you're trying to say here. The 13th amendment appears to be specifically written as we know there are different abortion laws across Europe.

Thats very odd, so its only murder in Ireland? Or they put less of a value on a fetus on UK soil?

Exactly. The 8th gives equal rights to the mother and unborn. When the mother travels to seek an abortion that immediately reduces the rights of the unborn.

The constitutions right to travel for the mother trumps the "equal" right of the unborn.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Absolam wrote: »
    more in fairness to see how anyone would objectively measure the gain and loss of Church 'power' than anything else.

You don't think the catholic church has lost power in the Netherlands?

There's stats to show the drops
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Catholicism_in_the_Netherlands

and even the Bishops are upset about it when they talk to the pope
    http://blogs.reuters.com/faithworld/2013/12/03/dutch-bishops-give-pope-francis-a-bleak-picture-of-catholic-church-in-decline/

Loss of the "faithful" is loss of church power in the country, same as whats happening in Ireland.

So the pro-life crowd actually have no problem with women traveling to have an abortion even though they see it as murder?

I'm sure pro-lifers do see it as murder wherever it is done, not that I can claim to speak for them. There isn't really any point to what you're saying though as freedom of movement was decided at a referendum by the whole of the Irish people, not by Youth Defence.

• Advertisement

Being that murder is a crime in the UK, I don't really see what you're trying to say here. The 13th amendment appears to be specifically written as we know there are different abortion laws across Europe.

The 13th amendment gives the mother a constitutional right to do something that is illegal in Ireland.

You don't find this strange or contradictory?

The 13th amendment gives the mother a constitutional right to do something that is illegal in Ireland.

You don't find this strange or contradictory?
    It gives her the right to travel actually. The wording says nothing at all about what she does outside Ireland.
    And again, there's no contradiction between right to travel and Ireland having its own laws. If a pregnant woman has booked a holiday in Chile, should she be denied any possible abortion here in Ireland?

Absolam wrote: »
    Notwithstanding the amusing notion that you need to tell those who oppose you point of view what they should lobby for,[...]
    You must not watch enough courtroom dramas. Hostile witness, notable exception to the "leading question" rule.
    [...] I think we'll have a vote when enough people give a sufficiently clear message to their TDs that their political future depends on it.
    Good to know we're not leavening our political cynicism with any consideration of possible conscience, logic, or consistency on the part of our elected representatives. Avoids any risk of disappointment.

It gives her the right to travel actually. The wording says nothing at all about what she does outside Ireland.

She's going to have an abortion.

It was voted on specially so the prohibition on abortion doesn't stop a women travelling (to have an abortion)

She's going to have an abortion.
    Is that a quote from the amendment?

Yes, it does. If it were a general "right to travel", it wouldn't be in 40.3.3. Or use the language it does. And indeed, clearly it's not a general "right to travel" -- the legislature is free to make all sorts of other restrictions on travel. (Subject to our various other treaty commitments, or withdrawal from same.)

Is that a quote from the amendment?

You need the read it as one I'm afraid. It's in the article about abortion.
    The State acknowledges the right to life of the unborn and, with due regard to the equal right to life of the mother, guarantees in its laws to respect, and, as far as practicable, by its laws to defend and vindicate that right.

This subsection shall not limit freedom to travel between the State and another state.

This subsection shall not limit freedom to obtain or make available, in the State, subject to such conditions as may be laid down by law, information relating to services lawfully available in another state.

You don't think the catholic church has lost power in the Netherlands?
    There's states to show the drops
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Catholicism_in_the_Netherlands
    and even the Bishops are upset about it when they talk to the pope
    http://blogs.reuters.com/faithworld/2013/12/03/dutch-bishops-give-pope-francis-a-bleak-picture-of-catholic-church-in-decline/
    Loss of the "faithful" is loss of church power in the country, same as whats happening in Ireland.
    I don't know; I don't know how one would objectively measure the 'power' of a Church first of all, and I don't know if anyone tracks such a measurement.
    Your link certainly show that the number of people identifying as Catholic has decreased in the Netherlands. Would you say the number of people who identify as part of a religion is an objective measure of it's power? What measurable effect does that number generate that we can point to as having increased or decreased in line with the changes?

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Yes, it does. If it were a general "right to travel", it wouldn't be in 40.3.3. Or use the language it does. And indeed, clearly it's not a general "right to travel" -- the legislature is free to make all sorts of other restrictions on travel. (Subject to our various other treaty commitments, or withdrawal from same.)
    It doesn't actually.
    This subsection shall not limit freedom to travel between the State and another state.
    This does not say anything about "for an abortion" no matter how much you'd like it to.

It doesn't actually.
    This does not say anything about "for an abortion" no matter how much you'd like it to.

It's in the article about abortion!

It doesn't give them the right to travel for a skiing trip!

• Advertisement

You need the read it as one I'm afraid. It's in the article about abortion.
    and, as far as practicable, by its laws
    That's it in black and white, the admission that they will use their own laws within Ireland to uphold the constitution.

That's it in black and white, the admission that they will use their own laws within Ireland to uphold the constitution.

Selective quoting here about providing information which has nothing to do with the amendment to travel.

It's in the article about abortion!

It doesn't give them the right to travel for a skiing trip!
    It doesn't "give the right to travel" for anything specific at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It says the right isn't limited by the laws as applied in Ireland. It can't really be clearer.

It doesn't "give the right to travel" for anything specific at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's the the article about abortion. Not sure how else I can make this clearer.
    It says the right isn't limited by the laws as applied in Ireland. It can't really be clearer.

That's a different amendment about providing information. You're confusing them.

Selective quoting here about providing information which has nothing to do with the amendment to travel.
    Extreme re-interpretation here, when the bill is specifically stating the state's laws cannot interfere with travel here, with no specific mention (unless it's in invisible ink) of travel for any reason.

Extreme re-interpretation here, when the bill is specifically stating the state's laws cannot interfere with travel here, with no specific mention (unless it's in invisible ink) of travel for any reason.

No that's a separate amendment about seeking information.

It states the prohibition on abortion doesn't prevent the women from travelling or seeking information about abortions.

The fact you're continuing to misread it knowing full well it's the reason we have women travelling daily to have abortions astounds me

It's the the article about abortion. Not sure how else I can make this clearer.
    It is in the bill but it does not mention "travel for abortion" at all no matter how much you'd like it to.

It is in the bill but it does not mention "travel for abortion" at all no matter how much you'd like it to.

It doesn't have to. It's in the article about...ABORTION

No that's a separate amendment about seeking information.
    Yes, the 14th. Pretty much the same thing though, no ban on information on activity that is legal elsewhere. Is there any other legal activity in the world that we are banned from having access to information about? And what other things that are legal elsewhere in the world do we prosecute for here?

• Advertisement

It doesn't have to. It's in the article about...ABORTION
    But that line does not mention ABORTION. It doesn't have to. It is quite trivial to say "travel is not restricted" as an absolute.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement