Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General mtb chat, links and news thread

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,071 ✭✭✭prunudo

I'm thinking of fitting riser bars on the bike, options seem to be 12, 25 or 38mm rise.
    Is it simply a matter of trial and error or are there any pro's/con's for going straight to a bar with 38mm rise. Would I be right in thinking that if it doesn't feel right i could just swap a spacer from below to above the stem to adjust the height back down again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Pretty much that in a nutshell it's a relaxed version of the gravity enduro all trails open and close at the above times and no pre race practicing, obviously the locals will have an advantage there :D

You can race any trail in any order as many times as you wish. So use the first runs as sighting laps and then put in a few good race runs. Most riders will only get in around 2-3 runs per trail but from the sounds of this one the transitions are short.

To note all features in the grass roots races are rollable.

Any idea on the entry cost for these? I'm very tempted, but i'm going to have to invest in a full face helmet as well in line with the new regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭QueenMTBee

Any idea on the entry cost for these? I'm very tempted, but i'm going to have to invest in a full face helmet as well in line with the new regulations.

If I remember correctly, it was 30 euro last year but there was talk of it going up a little bit as there is a better timing system this year. The tickets for the first round go on sale this Sunday. They usually sell out in less than an hour!

QueenMTBee wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, it was 30 euro last year but there was talk of it going up a little bit as there is a better timing system this year. The tickets for the first round go on sale this Sunday. They usually sell out in less than an hour!

cheers for that, I've an alarm set in advance so I wont miss it, its literally on my doorstep so would be a shame to miss out.
    I havent done any off road events before - but I assume its like road events where you can purchase a 1 day licence from cycling ireland at the time of login if needed?

cheers for that, I've an alarm set in advance so I wont miss it, its literally on my doorstep so would be a shame to miss out.
    I havent done any off road events before - but I assume its like road events where you can purchase a 1 day licence from cycling ireland at the time of login if needed?

Yes you can purchase a day licence. Most of the rules are the same as last year except for the fullface helmet rule. If you plan on doing a few races in the year then it's well worth buying the Limited Competition Licence which covers you for off-road races.

Also you will need to have your kit with you which generally gets checked at the same time as your bike before you are allowed to start the race. Off the top of my head it's something like - basic first aid kit, basic bike repair kit (pump and spare tub), food, water, jacket. It changes from race to race how strict the check is.

• Advertisement

I havent done any off road events before

Just to add that the Grassroots are great for first time racers. It's more relaxed. You can ride the stages in any order you want. And there's no "race run" as such so far less pressure. Just ride them all as many times as you want and then your fastest time on each stage is added together to make up your race time.

Just to add that the Grassroots are great for first time racers. It's more relaxed. You can ride the stages in any order you want. And there's no "race run" as such so far less pressure. Just ride them all as many times as you want and then your fastest time on each stage is added together to make up your race time.

cheers for the encouragement!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Also you will need to have your kit with you which generally gets checked at the same time as your bike before you are allowed to start the race. Off the top of my head it's something like - basic first aid kit, basic bike repair kit (pump and spare tub), food, water, jacket. It changes from race to race how strict the check is.

You won't need any of these at the grass roots races or at least I've never been checked for them but no harm to have them with you. They'll do a basic bike check - brakes work wheels aren't loose and bars are straight.

They also ave proximity timers this year which will make a huge difference to the tap system they had last year they were a melt.

Rules etc

http://grassrootsenduro.com/rules-regulations/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,071 ✭✭✭prunudo

Anybody know if there's anyone selling Norco bikes in Ireland, there website only lists Uk (Evans cycles) as dealers in this neck of the woods

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    You won't need any of these at the grass roots races or at least I've never been checked for them but no harm to have them with you. They'll do a basic bike check - brakes work wheels aren't loose and bars are straight.

I've been checked three times in the last two years at Grassroots!!! The first time was when my club hosted the race so it's not like they didn't know me.

• Advertisement

I've been checked three times in the last two years at Grassroots!!! The first time was when my club hosted the race so it's not like they didn't know me.

That's odd I've never been checked although I do carry a bag so may have be presumed, bike check yes but that's all. I did get pulled up once by one of the marshalls for not having a full face despite it not being mandatory at the time :D

No harm having them either way though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

They just don’t trust ya...

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

I'll be putting the name down for rd1, anyone else? 

Peter T wrote: »
    I'll be putting the name down for rd1, anyone else? 

Well, got my entry done last night, it won't be long rolling around, hopefully the bad weather we've been having might kindly feck off so we can have a decent go at it.

Well, got my entry done last night, it won't be long rolling around, hopefully the bad weather we've been having might kindly feck off so we can have a decent go at it.

It couldnt be any worse than the first year down there it was epically muddy

Advertisement