Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Just finished Mother 3. What a beautiful little game. Between the two, Earthbound just shades it for me, but this is right up there with it. It's perhaps slightly slower to get going than Earthbound was, but once it does, the story begins to knit together so well, it's a pleasure to play & I found myself for the first time in ages actually itching to play a game so much. Itoi's story & message is brilliant, & again, the soundtrack to the game is really superb. It seemed a little easier than Earthbound was, particularly toward the end of the game - but that could be just to do with me having Earthbound experience (which was my first RPG actually). But yeah, really amazing little game.

Additional credit to the fan translation folks, wow, what a job they've done...it seems flawless. All the subtleties & nuances have carried over perfectly, & there was only one part in the entire script where I noticed an error ("The Lucas's Shield Has Disappeared", or something to that affect)...but yeah, stellar translation.

With that done, I shall take a short break from games (SF2 HF aside, I MUST 1cc that) & my next venture will be to crack open my N3DSXL for Majoras Mask 3DS - I've only ever played the first hour or so of that game, so that's a sin I must put right at some stage soon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,849 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I just adored Mother 3. I think Earthbound pips it in the writing, Mother 3 isn't as subtle in it's messages as Earthbound, while Mother 3 is the better game with better pacing. Also that's not to say that Mother 3 has bad writing, it's an absolutely stellar example of what can be done with the medium. That ending as well really hit home,
    seeing the world and it's inhabitants being destroyed after exploring and growing to love the place. There were tears but it really nailed the point that Itoi was trying to make that the world is always changing and you just have to let go of the past and embrace the new.

Re the ending though,
    at the "End?" screen you can continue to walk around & it transpires that people survived & were actually ok. Though the world was destroyed, it seemed to suggest that they could rebuild, & try again no?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,517 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I miss the characters in Mother 3 :(

Decided to mess about with a Dreamcast and a projector this evening. Have had a VGA cable there for ages but never really used it.

Looked amazing, but the blockiness of the lack of scanlines irked me somewhat. Then I remembered the SLG3000 I have which has been gathering dust for a couple of years.

Holy feck :eek:

IMG_20150521_214516600_zps9mev1ydd.jpg

IMG_20150521_214704596_zpsx6g77djd.jpg

IMG_20150521_214438278_zpsslfzpzvc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭Jack burton

jizz-in-my-pants-adam-o.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Should probably be a NSFW warning on those scanline pics, lest an involuntary release of trouser custard should ruin a pair of strides whilst at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Myrddin wrote: »
    Re the ending though,
    at the "End?" screen you can continue to walk around & it transpires that people survived & were actually ok. Though the world was destroyed, it seemed to suggest that they could rebuild, & try again no?
    Always been curious as to how dark it would have gone had it been released on the N64 like Itoi initially intended. He's gone on record stating that Mother 3, in its original incarnation, was a decidedly grimmer experience, and considering just how much 'grimness' goes on in the GBA version of Mother 3, despite airs of optimism, I wonder where the point of deviation came.

Are you tempted now to give the original Mother a crack, or have you already?

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Are you tempted now to give the original Mother a crack, or have you already?

Oooh I dunno. I have a repro of Earthbound Zero, so can play it on the NES if I choose...but won't have time for it for a while. Have you played it yourself? What's it like if so?

Oooh I dunno. I have a repro of Earthbound Zero, so can play it on the NES if I choose...but won't have time for it for a while. Have you played it yourself? What's it like if so?

Aye. It's difficult, very difficult. Dunno if the repro has the easy patch. By 'easy', it means bringing the game's difficulty down to something that's playable. Like, in the first field of the game, not 5 minutes into play, you're confronted with random battles, where enemies have tank HP and attacks that will slaughter a third of your life bar.

That aside, it's kinda like a beta for Earthbound. Has a distinctness to it and Itoi utilizes the NES' limitation to create big fields that help the atmosphere, but yeah, it holds its Dragon Quest influence more openly than the rest of the series. I'd recommended as a curiosity if you're really into the other two games in the series.

There's a fanmade Mother 4 in perpetual development too. I usually avoid anything prefixed with 'fanmade' like chuggers, but early reviews seem to be pretty positive about it.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Aye. It's difficult, very difficult.

Yeah, I thought as much. Not sure if I want to go there tbh, I might leave it as a mysterious entity in the ether of gaming, rather than spoil it for myself :o
    There's a fanmade Mother 4 in perpetual development too. I usually avoid anything prefixed with 'fanmade' like chuggers, but early reviews seem to be pretty positive about it.

I'd heard about that actually. Like yourself, fanmade usually equals walking away, but I'm open to giving this a chance. Do yo know anything about when it might be somewhat ready for release? Is it for the pc, as opposed to a console yeah?

• Advertisement

It seems to actually be out, which'll tell you how on top of it I am. T'is a PC thingy, indeed.

Indeed, looks...interesting...
    Mother 4 follows the journey of three kids and the leader of a biker gang. With dark rumors of "Modern Men" running wild, these unassuming heroes set out to uncover the truth, no matter how dangerous. From bustling urban streets to secret volcano bases, all kinds of oddball thugs and impossible monsters stand in their way... but everything should be okay if they don't forget to write home!

http://www.mother4game.com/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,849 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I played and finished mother 1 the hard way. It takes n awful lot of grinding and either making maps or robbing them from game fans. Also the last area of the game is basically just running from random battles because each one is orders of magnitude tougher than the last boss. The story pay off was worth it though but it's a real product of its time.

Finally back in Dublin so I can try out some of my Japanese games. Very pleased with my PC engine duo although I wish I had gotten Gradius 2 for it. One annoyance is my copy of final soldier has some corrupt graphics and it's nothing to do with dirty connectors, the hucard is just ****ed, very annoying.

Playing some of my Saturn pick ups. Hyperduel and Taromaru are great but... Might not be worth the money I paid for them :) Silhuoette Mirage is fun but I don't think it's one of treasures best, maybe I need more time with it since the control scheme is very complex. Bulk Slash is a big surprise, the game is just brilliant, so much fun. The controls are great and it's one of the best looking 3D Saturn games.

Currently playing some Radiant Silvergun. I still think it's the finest Shmup ever made. So glad I now own it in all its spine card goodness.

Master of the Universe

Damn it, I can't lord over you with Radiant Silvergun anymore. Might as well sell it now :pac:

I was going through my PCBs today and found Dinorex - totally forgot I had it! Dare I defile the Aero with that dinosaur scream?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Finally back in Dublin so I can try out some of my Japanese games. Very pleased with my PC engine duo although I wish I had gotten Gradius 2 for it. One annoyance is my copy of final soldier has some corrupt graphics and it's nothing to do with dirty connectors, the hucard is just ****ed, very annoying.

Good gradius read here if you havent seen it.
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/242336/The_history_of_Gradius_A_look_back_at_30_years_of_Konami_shooting.php

Played a bit of Sin and Punishment for the N64 on my new RGB modded console. I played it before when it was released on Wii but I didn't like it, the controls just didn't feel right on a GameCube controller or the classic controller. However playing it on the N64 and the controls just make so much more sense, it really is designed around that controller. It's a seriously cracking game, I'll definitely be playing it loads this week.

Master of the Universe

I've had Sin and Punishment sitting therefore a few months but only really sat down to give it a go recently - it's a fantastic game alright.

Couldn't recommend one of those Hori mini controllers enough by the way, it makes the standard n64 pad feel like a pile of crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Just finished off Bloodborne this weekend. Waited a while to get it and its probably the best game on the PS4 at the moment. Looking forward to the dlc now.

Had a run through of Castlevania: Bloodlines on the MD aswell, what a cracker of a game!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Donatron

Been playing Castlevania Rondo of Blood on the PSP via the castlevania collection. Is it just me or is playing the game with Maria significantly easier? She can attack while moving, has a double jump and is a smaller target

• Advertisement

Donatron wrote: »
    Been playing Castlevania Rondo of Blood on the PSP via the castlevania collection. Is it just me or is playing the game with Maria significantly easier? She can attack while moving, has a double jump and is a smaller target

She's basically easy mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

blag wrote: »
    Been trying to 1CC Metal SLug 3 this week and the last stage is a complete pain. It's just soooo long that I end up losing concentration and the mind drifts...great game. though

Done with this for now, fantastic game, might have a shot at Metal Slug XX next.

blag wrote: »
    Done with this for now, fantastic game, might have a shot at Metal Slug XX next.

Did you 1cc it? :)

Did you 1cc it? :)

Yup, took a while though....
    wPk1irk.jpg

Argh! A port of an arcade game...burn him, burn him now!! I jest I jest...well done :cool:

Argh! A port of an arcade game...burn him, burn him now!! I jest I jest...well done :cool:

The port is pretty good but for some reason the music is awful compared to the arcade version.

Master of the Universe

You 1cced Metal Slug 3? Are you ****ing serious? :eek:

There are only two really difficult parts:

1. The chapter 4 boss who has one awkward attack that seems to be randomised (sometimes doesn't use it al all, others does it repeatedly etc.)

2. The final section of chapter 5 with the blood vomiting zombies, real pain and needs a bit of luck with keeping the vehicles and abusing the exit vehicle invincibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭airmax87

SFEX2+ trials.
    And some castlevania new generation later.

11327320_481028988726172_452691067_n.jpg

• Advertisement

Finished Tomb Raider 2. It's a step up in graphical quality from the first and a massive step back in terms of level design, gameplay and charm. The levels and settings just aren't as interesting as the first game and the focus on combat doesn't pay off since the combat was ****e to begin with.

Advertisement