Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade & Retro Kickstarter thread ,

• 15-05-2015 11:09am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Howdy Y'all
    After a suggestion from one of our Cat Mods, May he be praised, we have started a thread here for Kickstarter links and videos.
    Rather than the liberal spread of kickstarter goodness across different locations we'll try to concentrate them here, from the really good, the dreamers building sandcastles in the sky and the chancers trying to sell you a turd with a videogame logo on the side, like the CDi ;)

Happy posting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Couple that I've backed:

Slain (Kickstarter completed already)
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1348640000/slain

Slain_1.gif

Nice looking 2D hack and slash:
    "Prepare to be Slain! Our homage to the gory hack and slash games of the 80's and 90's. We promise stunning visuals with gore galore."

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iga/bloodstained-ritual-of-the-night
    Bloodstained.png

"IGAVANIA (n): A gothic, exploration-focused action platformer, designed by one of the godfathers of the genre!"
    Spiritual successor to the old Castlevania games, what more needs said?

Power Drive 2000
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1420158244/power-drive-2000

Power_Drive_2000.gif

"An 80's sci-fi inspired arcade racer...with a talking car."
    Looks neon-ly fantastic fun.

[edit]
    Stupid KS pics not working. Will edit in working ones later.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Here is the kickstarter for the ZX Spectrum book by the same guy that has done the C64 and Amiga ones..

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2146199819/zx-spectrum-a-visual-compendium-by-bitmap-books

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Power Drive 2000
    An 80's sci-fi inspired arcade racer...with a talking car.

G9CrkQ1.png

DhDXgbL.png

Arduboy - Card Sized Gaming

8bit style open source mini game/synth/programmable thingymabob

JAfeWXz.png

oot5kn0.gif

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/903888394/arduboy-card-sized-gaming

ZX Spectrum: a visual compendium

KPcLCBE.jpg

xrGzUoS.jpgJuqPT1z.jpg

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2146199819/zx-spectrum-a-visual-compendium-by-bitmap-books

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You'd imagine, with current tech, you could include a speecy on a chip in the rear/front cover of that book! A little av out and bobs your uncle!

I was going to add this to my list and back it, but they only ship to the US :(
    Would have been nice to display some pixel art or game animation.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pixelmatix/smartmatrix-dynamic-led-art-display-and-music-visu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The 'Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night' got even more interesting for me when it seems the next stretch goal MAY possibly be a Wii U version. It looks like the very top of the Wii U logo.

aDa2jRL.png

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

http://unbound.co.uk/books/ashens
    Terrible Old Games You've Probably Never Heard Of
    Basically Stuart Ashens writes a book on crap games ,
    with nary a console game insight.
    "

Video games are great! Except when they're not, of course. We've all bought a game and been utterly underwhelmed by it, dribbling buyer's remorse from every pore as we furiously shake our fist at the publishers responsible for releasing them. But have you ever bought a game so fundamentally awful that it was impossible to glean any enjoyment from it whatsoever? If so, I feel your pain, and if you'll allow me I'll also take your money and offer you a book in exchange.

Terrible Old Games You've Probably Never Heard Of is a compendium of some of the most painfully bad games available for the European home computer market from the early eighties to the mid nineties, based on my YouTube series of the same name. Everyone's heard of E.T. for the Atari 2600 and Superman for the Nintendo 64, but these are almost nothing next to the abject incompetence of Count Duckula 2 on the Amstrad CPC. There are people who seriously believe that Shaq Fu is the worst fighting game ever made, having never experienced Dangerous Streets or Barravento on the Amiga. This book will blow their very soul apart. (Not a guarantee).

There's nothing from the NES, or indeed any other dedicated games console, in this book. It's all about the home computer market during a special time when tight deadlines, tiny budgets and precious little quality control allowed some of the most egregiously horrid games to leak into the shops. As the title strongly suggests you've probably never heard of these games - who wants to retread the same old things when there's so much new horror to be discovered?

Terrible Old Games You've Probably Never Heard Of is meticulously researched and written with the dry humour you'd expect from a man who has somehow made a living by sticking rubbish on a sofa and talking about it. And it's not all from me - some people you may well have heard of will be telling us what their most disappointing game purchase was. Because, of course, there's nothing quite so entertaining as other people's misery.

If you'd like this book to exist in a tangible form, pledge now and ensure that the games mentioned inside receive the recognition and derision they deserve. Because they're terrible, they're old, and you probably haven't heard of them.
    "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

supported Tokyo Dark . I looks suitably Tokyoesque and Dark.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/114971883/tokyo-dark/description

58f98d79623d7bc986579c88f76c04ab_original.jpg?v=1427427464&w=700&h=&fit=max&auto=format&q=92&

4ebd6991a612cb3be7891401745c8bf4_original.png?v=1427958460&w=700&h=&fit=max&auto=format&lossless=true&

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Anyone who backed Power Drive 2000 should have access to a pre alpha build in their email. Just gave it a go, looks like its going to be a really good game imo. They are only at 36% though on kickstarter so mightn't happen :(

Yeah, saw that in the email update this morning. Really hope it succeeds, looks fantastic.

• Advertisement

5 days left on that Powerdrive game and its still not funded :(

Yeah looks a bit bleak! BUt it has jumped in the last few days, really hoping to play this. I dont want it to be another case of The Black Glove

Power Drive 2000: 34 hours to go, and $42,597 pledged of $45,000

Looks like this is going to be a close one!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    You'd imagine, with current tech, you could include a speecy on a chip in the rear/front cover of that book! A little av out and bobs your uncle!

Very true, I'm surprised with the success of the DTV C64 product a Speccy 48k version didn't appear

Powerdrive is funded anyway. Happy days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Songs of Zelda: A Link to the Celts - a Zelda album with traditional Irish instruments.
    Kickstarter going live on 15th June 2015:
    http://www.zeldauniverse.net/2015/06/05/eimear-noone-begins-work-on-irish-zelda-album-a-link-to-the-celts/

I’m backing the below kickstarter that isn’t retro related, so I wasn’t going to post it here. But, as these things can be used to turn pretty much anything into a button/key press I was thinking that maybe they could be useful for anyone who wants a very hidden button on their MAME/Hyperspin cab. You could turn a section of cab(or even a screw/rivet etc) into an Escape button or coin insert(as long as that section can conduct even the smallest amount of electricity).

Anyway, just an idea that popped into my head when I was browsing the Kickstarter site over lunch today.

Makey Makey GO:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/joylabz/makey-makey-go-invent-everywhere-invent-now

16 days to go and it’s already fully funded.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Steve X2 wrote: »
    I’m backing the below kickstarter that isn’t retro related, so I wasn’t going to post it here. But, as these things can be used to turn pretty much anything into a button/key press I was thinking that maybe they could be useful for anyone who wants a very hidden button on their MAME/Hyperspin cab. You could turn a section of cab(or even a screw/rivet etc) into an Escape button or coin insert(as long as that section can conduct even the smallest amount of electricity).

Anyway, just an idea that popped into my head when I was browsing the Kickstarter site over lunch today.

Makey Makey GO:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/joylabz/makey-makey-go-invent-everywhere-invent-now

16 days to go and it’s already fully funded.

Handy for making a Time Crisis pedal, or other digital foot switch.
    And, with this, you could make that switch from a bowl of raspberry jelly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Corey Marshall confirmed for Shenmue 3, and there's a new $1,000 reward tier that he'll do a personalised voice message for you.

Not retro exactly, but if you have a lot of consoles, you have a lot of cables and this thing seems handy(and it slips into the IKEA KALLAX/EXPEDIT perfectly).

Cable Hive

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1130221580/cable-hive

o0LNh38.jpg

6BGupDd.jpg

ykjkmda.jpg

wLh1KPB.jpg

• Advertisement

did you see the shipping cost though?

$59 + $50 shipping + customs = approx €100

did you see the shipping cost though?

$59 + $50 shipping + customs = approx €100

Yeah, thats a bit hefty alright. I sent him a message on that saying it would turn a lot of people off.
    I went for a couple of them(20 and 39 sections), and the postage is the same. So not as bad if you get more than one, but most people will only go for the one I would imagine.

Speaking of kickstarter looks like we are never going to get that artcade book from about a year going off the email your man sent last week. doesnt look too good!

Speaking of kickstarter looks like we are never going to get that artcade book from about a year going off the email your man sent last week. doesnt look too good!

You mean the one that was supposed to be delivered December 2013? :0/

9OEMQ7h.jpg

Yeah, not looking great on that one. He's had a rough time of it in his personal life, but he was crap before any of that kicked off.

I got my tshirt and marquee ages ago, but looks like I'll never see the book.

He got £22,055 in total for that. I wonder how much is left from deposits on printers, samples, other deposits on other printers..... new car etc :D

You mean the one that was supposed to be delivered December 2013? :0/

9OEMQ7h.jpg

Yeah, not looking great on that one. He's had a rough time of it in his personal life, but he was crap before any of that kicked off.

I got my tshirt and marquee ages ago, but looks like I'll never see the book.

He got £22,055 in total for that. I wonder how much is left from deposits on printers, samples, other deposits on other printers..... new car etc :D

wow 2013 didnt realise it was that long ago!

Yeh, i doubt there is much left, cant see us getting anything back off him either. i dunno how he messed up so much considering ive got a few books from other people on there no problem.

wow 2013 didnt realise it was that long ago!

Yeh, i doubt there is much left, cant see us getting anything back off him either. i dunno how he messed up so much considering ive got a few books from other people on there no problem.

At this stage I'd nearly offer to buy the project from him and get some decent people onboard.
    The book itself looked great, and the samples he showed were very decent. Someone with half a brain could run with this and get it printed up. Get Sam Dyer on this, he did some great books on kickstarter and ran them like a pro(and still is/does).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

If a kickstarter project doesn't materialise, are backers not guaranteed their investment back?

Myrddin wrote: »
    If a kickstarter project doesn't materialise, are backers not guaranteed their investment back?

Nope, if it reaches its goal then the funds are released to the creator a couple of weeks later and that's that(usually, might be a few court cases knocking around to fight this).
    If it doesn't reach the goal you're not charged.

You are more or less investing in the product/person, not buying anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

If it doesn't reach the goal you're not charged

Ah yeah, it's that I'm thinking of

• Advertisement

I bought those commodore books and they went off without a hitch. it is a pity as the book looked amazing alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,253 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Its amazing how catastrophicly bad that project went. I see loads of international backers didn't get their canvases or t-shirts either.

Tbh it looks like he's just dragging it out now hoping that people will forget about it (I know I do!)

o1s1n wrote: »
    Its amazing how catastrophicly bad that project went. I see loads of international backers didn't get their canvases or t-shirts either.

Tbh it looks like he's just dragging it out now hoping that people will forget about it (I know I do!)

I think what made it worse for those that didn't get their marquees was when he opened another business, printing and selling marquees!! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I got the wrong marque, he promised me he'd send the right one straight away, dozens of emails went back and forth with so many different excuses, he'd forgotten, lost the label and didn't know who it was for, its actually in the way, just waiting on the courier to pickup, etc, he even promised he'd made something special to make up for the months of excuses, been well over a year of them now and I've given up

I got the wrong marque, he promised me he'd send the right one straight away, dozens of emails went back and forth with so many different excuses, he'd forgotten, lost the label and didn't know who it was for, its actually in the way, just waiting on the courier to pickup, etc, he even promised he'd made something special to make up for the months of excuses, been well over a year of them now and I've given up

My marquee never showed up at first, sent with a tracking number that he wouldn't share with me.
    After a few rather direct messages he resent it and that one arrived.

He is basically full of ****, but his book looked great so a lot was forgivable if he could deliver, which he cant!

I followed him on twitter and the dude seemed to spend most of his time drinking coffee and posting pictures of himself drinking coffee. at first i believed his reasons and felt sorry for him, but it was a bit off with him posting on twitter getting up to all sorts of stuff but not a mention of the book.

• Advertisement

I followed him on twitter and the dude seemed to spend most of his time drinking coffee and posting pictures of himself drinking coffee. at first i believed his reasons and felt sorry for him, but it was a bit off with him posting on twitter getting up to all sorts of stuff but not a mention of the book.

The biggest problem was him completely ignoring people. I mean he had a link to his twitter account on the Kickstarter(removed when it all went tits up) and people could see as you say him doing all sorts. Yet he wasnt arsed to reply to PM's or messages on the kickstarter page.

He's a muppet, but his original work was good so it would be a real shame to see it go in the bin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

The biggest problem was him completely ignoring people. I mean he had a link to his twitter account on the Kickstarter(removed when it all went tits up) and people could see as you say him doing all sorts. Yet he wasnt arsed to reply to PM's or messages on the kickstarter page.

He's a muppet, but his original work was good so it would be a real shame to see it go in the bin.

So everyone lost their money? What sort of insurance do you have over something like that happening?

Basically he has to submit the amount collected minus his expenses and refund any left over pro rata between all backers.
    He's full of ****, his previous updates have been how it's ready to print and the latest one was how it's just a matter of getting a piece of paper signed from the original publisher, complete bull****ter unfortunately as it looked like a good project.

New A1200 Housings Pressed From New Molds
    Brand new Amiga 1200 housing from modern Molds. Available in 11 colors. - UV resistant / A1200 Reloaded & Raspberry Pi compatible case.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/a1200housing/new-a1200-housings-pressed-from-new-molds

I thought i already shared this one, not sure it will reach the funding required but I've backed it for a few cases anyway.

m4orRc5.png

FffRDXy.png

4EPcQD8.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

That Amiga kickstarter didn't make the target..

• Advertisement

That Amiga kickstarter didn't make the target..

Yeah, it was a hefty target considering what it is. But I understand the initial cost will be high to make something like this.
    They are re-launching the it again in a month or so(the campaign is to run twice as long) and have dropped some hints that they may be able to officially use the Amiga name/logo this time. Probably not the Commodore one as Amiga and Commodore are two separate companies now if I remember correctly.

I’m not a fan of the newer Amiga Logo and font, so don’t care much about that anyway.

Pixel Noir is having a 2nd go at kickstarter with a lower goal on Sept 14th, here's the original one

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/397981048/pixel-noir-pc-mac-ios-android-ps4-vita

I kinda hate that the characters are one resolution, while the scenes they're in are around twice the resolution. Smacks of a lazy attempt at pixel art.

Looks like the artcade book is getting made! His latest email says he has done a deal with the dude that made the bitmap books

Looks like the artcade book is getting made! His latest email says he has done a deal with the dude that made the bitmap books

I wonder will he actually send out all the marquees and canvas prints he owes people:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

I think they need a few more limited edition versions..

I think they need a few more limited edition versions..

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭Doge

Here's a very promising documentary on the 8-bit era of home computers:

Growing the 8 Bit Generation

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1744798558/growing-the-8-bit-generation?ref=video

150% funded with 30 hours to go.

Absolutely stoked that they interviewed Jack Tramiel before his death.

The soundtrack sounds great too.

this looks good, a definite Sunset Riders influence

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/saberridergame/saber-rider-and-the-star-sheriffs-the-video-game/description

there are physical Dreamcast & PC Engine versions available.

• Advertisement
Advertisement