Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

02-08-2017, 11:38   #76
thelad95

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher5112 View Post
I wish they would turn off their engines when sitting at terminus anything up to 40 minutes early.

I'm actually surprised with a company on the big for cost savings that they don't have them make sure its off to save on fuel....

Quite possible if they do turn them off though it would be an inevitable break down maybe.
In Kilkenny, one of the stops is right in front of a secondary school. Last summer, the bus arrived too this stop and after passengers got on and off, the poor driver couldn't get the bus going again. Sat there for about fifteen minutes with the engine chugging away hoping to get it going again, when the principal of the school came out. In classrooms about thirty feet away from the bus, there was students sitting leaving cert exams.

Driver rang whoever in Dublin coach too explain the situation and after getting an earful from the principal, he then got an earful from whoever was on the phone (loudspeaker) saying to leave the engine running. At this point, the driver hung up on your man mid sentence and went outside and had a fag. I really do pity the poor drivers!

Eventually a replacement bus was sent after waiting for about another hour. By this stage, many had just given up and gotten on the kavanaghs bus to Dublin which leaves from the same stop.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
02-08-2017, 12:05   #77

Quote:
I wish they would turn off their engines when sitting at terminus anything up to 40 minutes early.

I'm actually surprised with a company on the big for cost savings that they don't have them make sure its off to save on fuel....

Quite possible if they do turn them off though it would be an inevitable break down maybe.
Yes it may save some fuel but multiple start ups during the day can be stressful on engine and electrical components.
(2) thanks from:
02-08-2017, 12:09   #78

Shut downs and restarts can actually use up more fuel than letting it run idle, depending on how long of course.
(3) thanks from:
02-08-2017, 12:27   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cork Truck Driver View Post
Shut downs and restarts can actually use up more fuel than letting it run idle, depending on how long of course.
And if you've a bus (or truck) with a million miles in it, regularly switching it on and off is looking for trouble IMO.
(2) thanks from:
02-08-2017, 12:29   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by dense View Post
And if you've a bus (or truck) with a million miles in it, regularly switching it on and off is looking for trouble IMO.
110%

I did it one day in a king long, took me an eternity and nearly a flat battery to get it going.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
02-08-2017, 13:30   #81
punisher5112

Quote:
Originally Posted by dense View Post
Yes it may save some fuel but multiple start ups during the day can be stressful on engine and electrical components.
Not so unless from yonks ago as set up on them they use capacitor system to get the kick for the start in a lot of newer stuff.

No reason for engine to be left running and if its a case they won't start again and that's given as a reason that's ridiculous.

Its now a safety and a maintenance issue and if that's their stance I would worry how bad the vehicles maintenance really is as from what I see they are in bits.
(2) thanks from:
14-08-2017, 11:54   #82
mickmmc

Who is winning the bus war between Aircoach and Dublin Coach on Dublin Belfast route? What are passengers numbers like on the Dublin-Belfast route for Dublin Coach?

I travelled with Aircoach from Dublin Airport to Belfast recently.

Aircoach leave Glengall street at 17:30 and Dublin Coach leave at 17:35, for example. I observed that Dublin Coach arrived 10mins ahead of departure and the coach pulled in ahead of Aircoach at the Europa stop. They can then pick up the walk ups ahead of Aircoach. It really is an aggressive approach by Dublin Coach.

Aircoach have a customer service employee at the bus stop now. Things could heated at that bus stop.
14-08-2017, 11:58   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmmc View Post
Who is winning the bus war between Aircoach and Dublin Coach on Dublin Belfast route? What are passengers numbers like on the Dublin-Belfast route for Dublin Coach?

Aircoach leave Glengall street at 17:30 and Dublin Coach leave at 17:35, for example. I observed that Dublin Coach arrived 10mins ahead of departure and the coach pulled in ahead of Aircoach at the Europa stop. They can then pick up the walk ups ahead of Aircoach. It really is an aggressive approach by Dublin Coach.

Aircoach have a customer service employee at the bus stop now. Things could heated at that bus stop.
In my experience they always have them at the stops.
14-08-2017, 12:00   #84
devnull

Quote:

It was pretty predictable that it would happen like that though.

Soon as they announced the service I guessed it would be the case such things are commonplace in similar style bus wars in the UK where competing services are arriving around about the same time as each other at the same bus stops.
Advertisement
14-08-2017, 13:31   #85
punisher5112

So many said privately run services would be better but not from my experience and what I see.
14-08-2017, 13:38   #86
devnull

Quote:
So many said privately run services would be better but not from my experience and what I see.
But one company and peoples opinions of it are not necessarily representative of the whole private sector.
(2) thanks from:
14-08-2017, 13:40   #87
bk

Quote:
From my experience of private operators they are VASTLY superior to BE.

I'm sorry but there simply is no comparison between Aircoach/GoBE to Cork and the crappy old x8.

Citylink to Galway was also a pleasure to use.

BE couldn't even bother operating a bus between Cork and Dulin after 6pm and it use to take 4.5 hours! Now we have aircoach operating hourly almost 24/7 with a 3 hour journey time and goes to the airport and toilets on board.

They are so much better then BE's service it isn't even funny!
Thanks from:
14-08-2017, 13:40   #88
brokenarms

Quote:

There is no coach and busman comradely from those Aircoach lads. They are absolute savages on the road. Which utilmatley holds them up.

I have stopped trying a accommodate them in the buslanes on my bus runs as they will cut me up and box me in given any chance at all.
Thanks from:
14-08-2017, 13:51   #89
JCX BXC

Dublin coach are not much better, points given for being a little more direct on some routes (unless you want to go from Cork to Dublin, via Waterford (shudder)) but for reliability they're shocking.
14-08-2017, 13:56   #90
Tockman

I find them a lot better service then bus Eireann, the most arrogant bus drivers who care not for the general public.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion