Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fed up of hearing about Shane Lowry

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Don’t think that nonsense will convince anyone.

Mcilroy identifies himself as northern irish not British. And am not speaking up for mcilroy anyway. Lowry skipped the Olympics because of Zika, that was the reason he put forward so why refer to Rory alone as “zika boy”?

Didn’t Lowry play in Florida or one of the southern states when the Zika threat was the exact same as Rio?? He’s a proud Iri$hman.

Faugheen wrote: »
    Why is McIlroy playing for Ireland at the next Olympics then?

He's Northern Irish.

“But the fact is, I’ve always felt more British than Irish.“

Same as Shane €€€€€

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Phil Nicholson? Is he Jack's brother?A superb achievement by a fella who by all accounts is as normal as any Joe Soap and here's this goon starting a thread about it being too much, you really can't beat the idiots of AH, full of them these days.

I think you should focus on the post ie the extensive coverage and not be personal and calling people a 'goon'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Totally disagree with you op.but what's annoying me is the idiots who are making links with what shane has done and the gaa.it has **** all to do with gaa. the gaa didn't contribute to it and im sure they didn't support it.so stop with the comparisons.
    I know his father has an all Ireland medal. Nothing to do with golf.

Well done shane!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Took the day off work, heading to Clara for the homecoming!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Hal3000 wrote: »
    All over newstalk again now
    If only they were giving wall to wall coverage of the netball world cup, would keep some here happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

H'on Lowry!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

OP you should be greatful you are not British so as their media go full metal jacket on ANYTHING a brit wins!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

road_high wrote: »
    For the 100th time it’s not begrudgery (that word must be losing all meaning it’s being bandied about so much). Just indifference to a totally patronizing OTT bandwagon fest

It is begrudgery.

Winning The British Open is a huge achievement and an Irishman (from Republic of Ireland, so no confusion about British/Irish) winning it is going to get a lot of media attention. Especially in the first 24 hours.

So I don't see how it's OTT or patronising (Do you actually understand that word?). The coverage I have seen has been sharing in his delight with the win and it's great to have good news on the news and radio rather than the drudgery of economy, HSE screw ups, Brexit, economy, gangland shootings, road deaths etc.

OP you should be greatful you are not British so as their media go full metal jacket on ANYTHING a brit wins!

Not necessarily true though. Lewis Hamilton won the British Grand Prix and there wasn't that much of a hullabaloo about it. Admittedly not the most popular sportsman in the world and he won it the same day as England won the cricket I think. But he was pretty much under the radar.

• Advertisement

bobbyss wrote: »
    Not necessarily true though. Lewis Hamilton won the British Grand Prix and there wasn't that much of a hullabaloo about it. Admittedly not the most popular sportsman in the world and he won it the same day as England won the cricket I think. But he was pretty much under the radar.

He's a 5 time world champ, wins every second race

I'm talking about your Wimbledons, Cricket world cups, World Cups

The England football team that reached a Semi Final was being lauded as the greatest achievement since the moon landing

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The England football team that reached a Semi Final was being lauded as the greatest achievement since the moon landing

Maybe don't consume their media so...

Omackeral wrote: »
    Maybe don't consume their media so...

In this digital age it is quite difficult not to consume a headline for days on end

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

If you're reading British tabloids and following Sky Sports News, don't be shocked if they report on their own nations success

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Totally disagree with you op.but what's annoying me is the idiots who are making links with what shane has done and the gaa.

Everything good in Ireland in sport has to be linked to the GAA. Have you not realised that?
    Even before his Open won, him and McIlroy were making kissy faces about representing us. He should be told he had his chance, and refused it. Ireland isn’t a piggy bank for him to rattle when it suits him.

Tokyo isn't that big a deal in the golfing world. It's all about the majors for them, so I wouldn't give them too much grief for opting out. Don't believe that the likes of golf or tennis should be in the Olympics personally.
    If only they were giving wall to wall coverage of the netball world cup, would keep some here happy.

It finished on Sunday. Compare and contrast the coverage given to Lowry; I'm delighted for him personally, to the that of Eoin Morgan.

Personally I don't like Lewis myself and if he won the next ten championships I wouldn't give a toss. Can you imagine if an Irish driver even made the grid in the first place however.

Am keeping an eye out on the reaction to the Irish U 19s footballers (making a semi final) and how they are characterised.

Personally I don't like Lewis myself and if he won the next ten championships I wouldn't give a toss. Can you imagine if an Irish driver even made the grid in the first place however.

Am keeping an eye out on the reaction to the Irish U 19s footballers (making a semi final) and how they are characterised.

Used to be a fan back in his Mclaren days. And not sure what kind of reaction an Irish driver would get here as F1 has a kind of cultish fanbase here (I'm a massive fan)

And with the U19's it will be interesting to see the reaction but i do think we punch above our weight in a lot of sports if we look specifically at Population comparisons between us and other countries

• Registered Users Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

squawker wrote: »
    This is a quote from my 10 year old son that insisted that I post it, he actually forced me to post the remark as he is amazed that people has posted negative things about Shane's win

Very few people I think we're negative about the win, it was more about what they saw as disproportionate media coverage.

This time of year there are very few newsworthy stories, so you can end up with stor that might enjoy 5mins of a bulletin at a busier time of year dominating the media for a few days. A sports story is easy copy and a win is a positive story.

And with the U19's it will be interesting to see the reaction but i do think we punch above our weight in a lot of sports if we look specifically at Population comparisons between us and other countries

Absolutely true re punching above our weight.

Some stat about the number if Irishmen ( north or south) who have won the Open compared to be number of Englishmen.

Faldo, Jacklin, Lyle (English born I believe) who else? Compared to population it's beyond belief. Unfortunately I don't think there's a new Irish candidate for major success for the time being. Have heard of Seamus Power but not anyone else

Colin Montgomery (remember him? couldn't stand him either as it happens) he was European Player of the Year for about nine years in a row i think yet never won a major.
    How many Scots have won Majors? The home of golf!

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Some stat about the number if Irishmen ( north or south) who have won the Open compared to be number of Englishmen.

Faldo, Jacklin, Lyle (English born I believe) who else? Compared to population it's beyond belief. Unfortunately I don't think there's a new Irish candidate for major success for the time being. Have heard of Seamus Power but not anyone else

Colin Montgomery (remember him? couldn't stand him either as it happens) he was European Player of the Year for about nine years in a row i think yet never won a major.

James Sugrue?

• Advertisement

Paul Lawrie i think was the last and IIRC that was in some ways a bit of a fluke.

Again don't want to derail the thread, look at our rugby side. We should be never contending against the likes of England and France with the talent pool they have available and suppose in some ways as a sports nation we are very comparable to the Kiwis

James Sugrue?

Way too soon to be mentioning his name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Who are the five Irish major winners that the media keeps going on about? I can think of Lowry & Harrington.

Berserker wrote: »
    Who are the five Irish major winners that the media keeps going on about? I can think of Lowry & Harrington.

They count the Nordies too in that 5 i think

• Registered Users Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Paul Lawrie i think was the last and IIRC that was in some ways a bit of a fluke.

Again don't want to derail the thread, look at our rugby side. We should be never contending against the likes of England and France with the talent pool they have available and suppose in some ways as a sports nation we are very comparable to the Kiwis

There are other factors that are far more important to predicting success in a sport over the size of the playing population.

I'm talking about your Wimbledons (won once since 1936), Cricket world cups(won once ever), World Cups (won once ever).

Not really as in your face as you make out. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Clarke, McIlroy, McDowell.

Golf in Ireland, like rugby, is for 32 counties.

Everything good in Ireland in sport has to be linked to the GAA. Have you not realised that?

Tokyo isn't that big a deal in the golfing world. It's all about the majors for them, so I wouldn't give them too much grief for opting out. Don't believe that the likes of golf or tennis should be in the Olympics personally.

It finished on Sunday. Compare and contrast the coverage given to Lowry; I'm delighted for him personally, to the that of Eoin Morgan.

It'll bring in massive money in sponsorship, which is why they are making kissy faces about giving us the honour of them representing us. They should be told Thanks, but no thanks.

There are other factors that are far more important to predicting success in a sport over the size of the playing population.

Yes i'm well aware of that. Using one factor of measurement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dionysius2

The real problem here in the endless regurgitating of the Shane Lowry achievement is the 'always on point' media which needs to create news feasts in the moment regardless of the seriousness or otherwise of the daily tale.

Advertisement