Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fed up of hearing about Shane Lowry

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

Strumms wrote: »
    Irish sportsperson achieves something remarkable against a field of by and large the greatest that the world has to offer... and there is begrudgery by the skip load, marvelous ! This place just gets worse.

Indeed, it as Fela Kuti sang about with "Colonial Mentality"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Typical mentality of some folk to put him down because he did something to be proud of cannot have him get above his station.

At the same time Ewan MacKenna is using it as an opportunity to stay relevant by calling him a facist support because he wouldn't give a straight answer if he would play golf with Trump.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Some right grumpy begrudgers here.

Not that it's any surprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

A man from these shores wins probably the biggest trophy there is in world golf & the same oul moany c**ts come out & begrudges him of it.

Unbelievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    He's likeable unlike that cabbage patch kid from county down who can't decide what his nationality is.

100% Shane knows he’s Irish. He’s just picky about when he wants to represent Ireland. It’ll probably $uit him to represent us in Japan. Big endorsement deals to be done there compared to Rio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

w/s/p/c/ wrote: »
    Golf is a hobby, not a sport.......

The objective of golf is to play the least amount of golf.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

100% Shane knows he’s Irish. He’s just picky about when he wants to represent Ireland. It’ll probably $uit him to represent us in Japan. Big endorsement deals to be done there compared to Rio.

As a major champion Lowry`s earning power from sponsorship/endorsements is about to rocket anyway. The fact that the Olympics are in Tokyo next year is completely irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Schwanz wrote: »
    A man from these shores wins probably the biggest trophy there is in world golf & the same oul moany c**ts come out & begrudges him of it.

Unbelievable.

It’s definitely not begrudgery (fair play to him ) just total indifference for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

He let himself down by skipping the Rio Olympics but he seems to have been forgiven. It kind of grates on me this protrayal by some that he’s a great Irishman when he didn’t bother representing the country because of Zika or whatever the actual reason was.

Dots1982 wrote: »
    He let himself down by skipping the Rio Olympics but he seems to have been forgiven. It kind of grates on me this protrayal by some that he’s a great Irishman when he didn’t bother representing the country because of Zika or whatever the actual reason was.

I thought that was the other lad (Mcilroy)?

• Advertisement

road_high wrote: »
    I thought that was the other lad (Mcilroy)?

Both. And Graham McDowell. I’d say privately they all regret it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

Zika boy McIlroy identifies himself as British

Lowery is from the arse hole of offaly

squawker wrote: »

Don’t think that nonsense will convince anyone.

Mcilroy identifies himself as northern irish not British. And am not speaking up for mcilroy anyway. Lowry skipped the Olympics because of Zika, that was the reason he put forward so why refer to Rory alone as “zika boy”?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Why is McIlroy playing for Ireland at the next Olympics then?

He's Northern Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I don't know why people always go on about this "Irish begrudgery" thing though. Any small success in anything is all over the media and everyone talks about it. I think it's quite the opposite of begrudgery for success in Ireland.

It's not just us though many bigger countries are equally proud of whatever it's citizens have accomplished in their field of excellence.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,837 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Both. And Graham McDowell. I’d say privately they all regret it now.

Maybe so, but we can all look back at things in life we didn’t do, did in error or wished we’d have done better... only difference is we don’t have the cast here criticizing ourselves for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Screw Attack

Just all part of the retarded Irish bandwagon brigade. Like those cretins who never paid or sat down to watch the s hit that Jack Charlton's team produced regularly. I have no respect for these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

The patronizing “he’s such a decent guy” gets me- it’s like as if you’re expected to be a total arsehole these days

It makes sense in the context of golf. It has a lofty elite reputation and a lot of the top professionals are aloof robots. Their media contributions would make a soccer pro blush.

It's genuinely refreshing to hear a guy like Lowry who wasn't raised in privilege and speaks straight. If you begrudge someone like him success then you need to reappraise your outlook.

Aidric wrote: »
    It makes sense in the context of golf. It has a lofty elite reputation and a lot of the top professionals are aloof robots. Their media contributions would make a soccer pro blush.

It's genuinely refreshing to hear a guy like Lowry who wasn't raised in privilege and speaks straight. If you begrudge someone like him success then you need to reappraise your outlook.

For the 100th time it’s not begrudgery (that word must be losing all meaning it’s being bandied about so much). Just indifference to a totally patronizing OTT bandwagon fest

• Registered Users Posts: 24,837 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

For the 100th time it’s not begrudgery (that word must be losing all meaning it’s being bandied about so much). Just indifference to a totally patronizing OTT bandwagon fest

Such indifference that we get to read all these posts about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

I'm delighted! Great to be from Offaly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

It's a typical Irish attitude, can't stand to see others get ahead because of your own insecurities.

It happened YESTERDAY.

Strumms wrote: »
    Such indifference that we get to read all these posts about it.

Lol I knew this comment would come up- about as predictable as a good old fashioned Irish bandwagon. It’s a talking point and point of discussion and last I checked we weren’t in North Korea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Go on Shane Lowry a legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭irishproduce

I've no idea of the significance of the tournament he won but Jesus the coverage is a bit much.
    Local lad wins over a million quid playing a game. Well done.
    Ole ole ole. For him yeah but I don't understand where the hangers on are getting the enthusiasm from. Its a game for individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

bobbyss wrote: »
    c.p.w.g.w wrote:
    You've obviously never played a round of 18 holes. You need to be physically fit and strong.
    It was a magnificent achievement no doubt about that. And fair play to him. I wouldn't take anything away from him and he has done the country proud. As regards a golfer needing to be physically fit I agree with you. Phil Nicholson acknowledged being overweight (and presumably feeling unfit) and I read somewhere in an effort to lose weight he lost eight pounds, was it, in one week.
    Phil Nicholson? Is he Jack's brother?A superb achievement by a fella who by all accounts is as normal as any Joe Soap and here's this goon starting a thread about it being too much, you really can't beat the idiots of AH, full of them these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭the-island-man

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

How do you distinguish the arsehole of Offaly from the rest of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

All over newstalk again now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

As a major champion Lowry`s earning power from sponsorship/endorsements is about to rocket anyway. The fact that the Olympics are in Tokyo next year is completely irrelevant.

Even before his Open won, him and McIlroy were making kissy faces about representing us. He should be told he had his chance, and refused it. Ireland isn’t a piggy bank for him to rattle when it suits him.

Advertisement