Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eviction Ban extended

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

Manion wrote: »
    You realise you're responding to someone who is part of a homeless family right?
    Yes a homeless homeowner
    Unfortunate ,but if he moved into the property the tenants could become homeless.
    I said it is a broad axe that's not perfect but it was well intentioned and is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭accensi0n

brisan wrote: »
    Its both
    if a tenant is evicted who houses them
    The state?

What?.. Themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 david72jenkins

I do find it 'interesting' the use of emotive images such as homeless shelter, there appears to be a working assumption that this is what us 'accidental landlords' have in mind for our 'evicted' tenants.

I have a different 'take' on how we should treat each other on this earth

Would appear from some comment that if its the LL problem then that's a good outcome?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

27th March is when the emergency 'measures' came in, almost four months later and I have no idea when I will be allowed to move back into my home.
    Although you can't evict them, you can offer them money to leave. Something such as €1,000 after they move out. Pay via bank for a record of the transaction.

Panch18 wrote: »
    They could just pay their rent for a different property
    That would involve a deposit(although the could use their tenants deposit ) references and maybe signing a 12 month lease which they may not be prepared to.
    Although with the ban in place till January maybe they could get a 6 month lease

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Yes a homeless homeowner
    Unfortunate ,but if he moved into the property the tenants could become homeless.
    I said it is a broad axe that's not perfect but it was well intentioned and is what it is.

It’s absolute bollocks is what it is

It is a massive infringement on property owners rights. Forbidding someone to issue tenants with an already lengthy notice period shows the absolute disregard the government of Ireland has for people’s property rights.

You’re better off owning nothing in this country, because if you have nothing the government will give you everything, and if you have anything at all the government will do everything they can to take it off you to give to ****ers who pay for nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

Yes a homeless homeowner

Well OK then, as long as it's well intentioned. You don't know that they would be homelesss if they moved along. There is only one definitely homeless family here.

I do find it 'interesting' the use of emotive images such as homeless shelter, there appears to be a working assumption that this is what us 'accidental landlords' have in mind for our 'evicted' tenants.

I have a different 'take' on how we should treat each other on this earth

Would appear from some comment that if its the LL problem then that's a good outcome?

That’s exactly it, just read the press on this and it is 100% about the poor renters, not 1 word about landlords and how there has been a massive infringement on their rights, not 1 word. Because it suits this left wing poor us agenda that the Irish media is absolutely fixated with

It’s a pity that COVID didn’t put paid to Irish media

Maybe I have an idea as a sweetener, forgive the rent that was not paid (prior to Covid) that I was trying to work with them to resolve, perhaps?

Maybe I have an idea as a sweetener, forgive the rent that was not paid (prior to Covid) that I was trying to work with them to resolve, perhaps?

You’ll never see that anyway I’m afraid!!!

They will want cash on top of that

It’s nothing short of extortion is what it is

• Advertisement

Hi Panch18, I do feel your frustration but the emotive words thing cuts both ways.

For me, I will have a conversation with my tenant later in the week, he 'holds all the cards' with respect to him not having to vacate but I am hoping that we can see each others point of view and come to a mutual arrangement even if it is a bit further away than was originally anticipated.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Hudur

They could just pay their rent for a different property

"Decided to rent the house in August 2017 at a little below market rate to make sure it was looked after."

If that is Dublin, difference between that and current rents is about 600-1k euros per month probably, which is quite good reason to hang in the old place as long as possible.

I may well be wrong but based on discussion other threads rental rates have reduced due to an increase of supply caused by effects of Covid - is that not the case?

Phishnet wrote: »
    Extended till August 1st
    As was posted earlier ,rent freeze extended till August 1st ,Eviction ban extended until January,
    So you can increase the rent but not evict the tenants if they refuse to pay it.

I may well be wrong but based on discussion other threads rental rates have reduced due to an increase of supply caused by effects of Covid - is that not the case?

But not to 2017 rates

Don't follow, my tenants rates are 2017?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Crazy not been able to evict . Kicking the issue again to the landlords. Why don't the government pick up the bill for this ?? Its already nearly impossible to get a tenant out who doesn't pay

Don't follow, my tenants rates are 2017?
    Have you increased your tenants rent since they moved in .
    If they are in a RPZ it cant have been by much.
    Rents in Dublin although falling are not at 2017 levels yet.
    So your tenant may find it difficult to find similar property in the locality for the same money.
    If he cant and decides not to move you can as was suggested give him a financial inducement or just wait it out.
    As another poster said you could try and get a six month lease on a property for yourself using your tenants rent to cover it .
    Its an unfortunate set of events but other posters here are in the same position

Apologies, brain not engaged.

Would appear that I possibly did myself a disservice by doing the right thing for my tenant in a lower rent in 2017 and that he would have no motivation as the rents will be higher than he is paying currently?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

THE TEMPORARY RENT freeze and ban on evictions is to be extended at an incorporeal Cabinet meeting being held later today.

Yesterday, the Cabinet meeting which was due to sign off on the country’s travel ‘green list’ was deferred, due to ongoing negotiations in Brussels

The Taoiseach Micheál Martin remains at the EU Council meeting, where leaders last night failed to agree on €750 billion rescue package.

The temporary rent freeze is due to lapse today – 20 July – and must be extended by Cabinet if it is to continue.

Under the emergency laws introduced at the beginning of the Covid-19 crisis, the minister said tenants cannot be forced to leave a property, and rent increases are prohibited for the duration of the crisis.

"Housing Minister Darragh O’Brien confirmed last week that the eviction ban and rent freeze would continue past today, though he warned it would not be a permanent measure. It is understood the Attorney General has raised legal concerns in relation to the freeze and personal property rights.

The length of the rent freeze and eviction ban will be agreed at today’s incorporeal meeting, thought it is believed the time period will be short"

From the Journal.ie.

The government is between a rock and a hard place here. If they extend the eviction ban and it is stuck down as unconstitutional, the state may be liable for the arrears of disincentived tenants.

• Advertisement

Would appear that I possibly did myself a disservice by doing the right thing for my tenant in a lower rent in 2017 and that he would have no motivation as the rents will be higher than he is paying currently?
    As it turns out maybe you did
    However as someone who rented out properties with my brothers previously we always did the same.
    We found it gave us a bigger selection of prospective tenants ,and tenants were less likely to jump ship.
    Every time a tenant leaves you are down at least 1 months rent ,repainting and cleaning costs and EA fees
    Easily add up to 2 months rents so a 16% decrease in yearly income if it happens every 12 months .
    We would keep an eye on the market and have on occasion reduced rents without being asked if that was what the market dictated.
    We managed to have high occupancy rates over the few properties we had anf the brothers still do the same.
    However that does not help you.
    All you can do is talk to your tenant and see what will it take for him to leave .
    If he owes you rent you can kiss that goodbye .
    Remind him he may need a reference from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Hudur

See Daft for the area to know for sure, but I rented in 2017 bit under the market rent and now I can't find similar even if I pay 500e more.

My property does not rent in that sector of the market

Hudur wrote: »
    See Daft for the area to know for sure, but I rented in 2017 bit under the market rent and now I can't find similar even if I pay 500e more.

Well I am down by more than that per month, and can’t an eviction notice issued to get the property sold

It’s proving more than a little costly

Will the government give me 350 a week for the cost the government is putting onto me I wonder

Well I am down by more than that per month, and can’t an eviction notice issued to get the property sold

It’s proving more than a little costly

Will the government give me 350 a week for the cost the government is putting onto me I wonder
    Its a cost of doing business
    Even without the pandemic tenants could have been overstaying and not paying rent and it could have taken you months to get an eviction order
    Maybe with the covid support scheme if you are a registered landlord you may be able to get state aid

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Pandemics are a cost of doing business?

Graham wrote: »
    Pandemics are a cost of doing business?
    Even without the pandemic its very hard to get an eviction notice.
    Yes as the insurance companies told businesses that tried to claim for closure and were refused

Even without the pandemic tenants could have been overstaying and not paying rent and it could have taken you months to get an eviction order
    Maybe with the covid support scheme if you are a registered landlord you may be able to get state aid

I fail to see how the government imposing totally unnecessary and restrictive and prohibitive laws which are unjustifiable are a cost of doing business

It’s ridiculous

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Yes as the insurance companies told businesses that tried to claim for closure and were refused

Which insurance company stated pandemics were a cost of doing business?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

Again you realise you're talking to a homeless person? When it suits it's a business and when it doesn't it's people's homes. Seems the side people are on flips depending on whats convenient. I've sympathy for anybody he ends up homeless regardess of how that happens.

Advertisement