Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant Refusing To Pay Rent * MOD WARNING IN POST #1 *

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

beauf wrote: »
    Because the Govt out sourced their obligation to provide housing to the private sector, who didn't want it. So the Govt had to strong arm the sector into being unable to refuse it.

You don't have to ask for anything in particular, you can just ignore applications that don't volunteer the required information. I don't think there's any obligation to reply to anyone, or explain your criteria. If there was you could say you just rolled a dice.

Awaits the introduction of legislation, outlawing the rolling of dice.
    If a landlord papered over cracks they would be hung, drawn and quartered publicly, while thats tongue in cheek, its probably more favourable to how many landlords have been treated, bar REITs

DubCount wrote: »
    The real problem is that the lease is becoming irrelevant. Whatever is agreed between LL and tenant in a lease is surpassed by the legislation (of which there is a constant stream).

I suppose so, thats the same as saying, the real problem is that a tenant can just walk away. Im not on that not-so-merry-go-round anymore, so I cant recal, and I dont think it is the case, but it should be possible to write off unpaid rent to a set value, after which the RTB should support fast tracked eviction or fast tracked state support. That might get rid of those gaming the system, if its not economically viable, landlords will walk and are (I did). I'm glad I'm out because I think the concern is that there could be legislation introduced that might not be constitutional and it would be up to individuals to challenge it.
    There easily could be a less painful way for unpaid rent to be accounted for, even if it might be a minor loss to the State in revenue, it could easily be seen as a cost of the State abrogating any/much/most/all responsibility for housing. It could lessen the burden on small landlords and would be easily provable so couldnt be scammed, ie records could be obtainable via any complaints process. The amount it would cost to the State would be tiny and spread out compared to a huge hit that could be experienced by one person/landlord which could write them off with one bad tenant and hence the viability (longterm reality/sustainability of being a landlord).

In reality, the state is willing to take zero tax take from REITs for taking large numbers of properties (at firesale) bargain basement discount prices just to get them off the books.
    In reality, they should view the provision of small scale (or even any scale) of housing for rental as a no cost or cost neutral transaction (which would very likely actually save them money).
    All the motions of taxation could be gone through, but by simply not making money on the transaction, taxes could be folded back into providing the accomodation at lower cost making it more affordable, without even having a complicated system, something that reduces the rent but also reduces the tax without even having actual cash transfers/transactions occur, imo could change the rental landscape.
    Any private rental provided for by a private person saves the State in whatever it costs to acquire the funds to do that (which on a large scale are multi millions if not billions of Euros), which corresponds into taxation and less funds available elsewhere.
    The technology exists to manage and monitor this cost effectively, it just requires an open mind and a sensible approach.

Does the State want to provide housing with all its associated problems (they cant through Councils seem to manage it and it requires a lot of money to fund/run such a thing, which is open to being hugely inefficient) or they can farm it out to the private sector with regulations, that ensure profitability/affordability/sustainability without causing harm to the property market, landlords or tenants.
    I have said it before, the current system encourages and supports the worst kinds of landlords and tenants, good landlords and tenants and a lot of other people unconnected suffer because of what is basically cack handed, ill conceived, shortsighted mismanagement of the situation overall.

Advertisement