Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant Refusing To Pay Rent * MOD WARNING IN POST #1 *

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I'm not sure what going to the RTB achieves. Other than wasting more time and money.

There's very little come back for the tenant unless the LL pursues them to the courts.

It's not even useful as a deterrent. The case will be impossible to find on their systems, and the stats will only tell the story the govt wants them to tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

WhyTheFace wrote: »
    OP here..

Just to give you an update. The agent has been useless in all this. As I live in the east and my brother, who part owns the house lives in the town where the house is, he visited the tenant.

Tenant said he had an expensive divorce in Poland and broadband to pay and couldn't pay rent. Brother said that wasn't his problem, money is owed to the tradesmen and they will come looking for it.

That was last Friday. I got a call from the agent saying the tenant said he was moving out this Friday. Needless to say we won't be seeing any of the €4k he owes us but we are just happy he is leaving.

The biggest issue here is that the agent told is in July he was going to be approved for HAP, we kept waiting and the agent kept saying don't worry, the process is slow due to Covid but you will get back pay. Then in Nov that agent left the company and his replacement said no HAP applied for, presumably because tenant was working.

TBH I am more pissed off with the agent than the tenant, we could have started actively seeking unpaid rent back in August were it not for them.

well, id just be glad they are leaving,but if you have records from the agent saying HAP was apllied for then maybe you can take them to task once the tenant has left.
    As for following the tenant up, it will probably be an expensive waste of time, for one, I dont believe the rtb will take a case against them if they have left the property as there would be no means to contact them to take a case. They could simply go dark and not respond to any query from their new address. If the tenant was to stay, you might actually be able to take a case to get your money back, but it still might not materialise. Id just be happy they are gone, maybe try take a case and keep a record of what the rtb say, even a ruling in your favour, but I would say it would cost to enforce in court, in terms of time and money and you still might end up with nothing.
    I highly suspect the rtb dont take cases where the tenant cant be located, or keep records of non payment, might be worth taking it to them just so you know you tried.

By rights, the first instance you didnt get rent, regardless of Hap being applied for or that you were told, you should have started the process however that was to evict, not 100% sure what it was back then re lockdown.
    Id consider moving yourself or the brother in and renting rooms, a non payer would be out in 30 mins, or maybe some areas are allowed air bnb still for non resident owners, definitely is allowed for resident owners though.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭WhyTheFace

OP here..

We have gained access to the property and thankfully there are no issues and it is ready to rent again.

To try to minimise the financial impact of such tenants again is it allowable to seek a deposit of two month's rent?

I appreciate that this would be a lot of money for some but we are just trying to avoid a repeat of losses again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,068 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

OP here..

We have gained access to the property and thankfully there are no issues and it is ready to rent again.

To try to minimise the financial impact of such tenants again is it allowable to seek a deposit of two month's rent?

I appreciate that this would be a lot of money for some but we are just trying to avoid a repeat of losses again.

I’ve been requiring the equivalent of three months rent on signing of leases for years, this equates to first month, last month and one month deposit. Some prospective tenants refuse, no prob, move on.

Dav010 wrote: »
    I’ve been requiring the equivalent of three months rent on signing of leases for years, this equates to first month, last month and one month deposit. Some prospective tenants refuse, no prob, move on.

I wonder does it narrow the pool of potential decent tenants though?

Or is it a case that if they can afford that they are likely to be more stable with respect to rent?

• Advertisement

I wonder does it narrow the pool of potential decent tenants though?

Or is it a case that if they can afford that they are likely to be more stable with respect to rent?

It does narrow the pool, and some good tenants are likely to be put off. But the fact that I have the equivalent of two months rent does provide some reassurance.

3 months is the norm in some countries.

I've found the cheaper a place is the more hassle you get with it. But you can still get hassle with any tenant regardless of price point.

beauf wrote: »
    3 months is the norm in some countries.

I've found the cheaper a place is the more hassle you get with it. But you can still get hassle with any tenant regardless of price point.

My experience is the same, higher rent city apartments, no issues. I had a very nice 4-bed house reasonably priced outside Dublin, endless problems, I sold it a year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

Why don't you sell it now you have the chance? property prices going up. What if you get another dodgy tenant?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭touts

OP here..

You're a sucker for punishment. Why on earth are you going to do this to yourself again. I'd change all the locks and sell it now while you have the chance.

• Advertisement

touts wrote: »
    You're a sucker for punishment. Why on earth are you going to do this to yourself again. I'd change all the locks and sell it now while you have the chance.

We only bought the property 2 years ago for 100k. There is no mortgage and we can get 1,200e per month.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread the issue was more so with the agent here who told us for 4 months that HAP and HAP back payments were in the way.

In fairness to the tenant as soon as we confronted him face to face he was gone a week later. Just wish we had done it months ago.

Definetly some learnings to take from this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭bunnyboxer

We only bought the property 2 years ago for 100k. There is no mortgage and we can get 1,200e per month.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread the issue was more so with the agent here who told us for 4 months that HAP and HAP back payments were in the way.

In fairness to the tenant as soon as we confronted him face to face he was gone a week later. Just wish we had done it months ago.

I'd make sure that the tenant is in a good job with a good company and request any tenant to have a letter from their HR department detailing their in full employment and the number of years there. It's easy to research the company on Google and employee on linkedin. If you cant get these type of tenants I'd be selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,162 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

bunnyboxer wrote: »
    I'd make sure that the tenant is in a good job with a good company and request any tenant to have a letter from their HR department detailing their in full employment and the number of years there. It's easy to research the company on Google and employee on linkedin. If you cant get these type of tenants I'd be selling.

but importantly, don't make that a condition of tenancy. give everyone the same opportunity to provide those credentials. you can also ask for a payslip.

asking for 3 months rent (1st, last, deposit) is a good way to screen people.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

WhyTheFace wrote:

For a start, forget using an agent. Money for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭PommieBast

but importantly, don't make that a condition of tenancy. give everyone the same opportunity to provide those credentials. you can also ask for a payslip.
    Is this legal though? Recollections that many things that were proxies for filtering out those on rent allowance (or whatever it is called these days) have got landlords into serious trouble.

Best not to ask for anything pick your own filter on the information people volunteer, and don't give any feedback, or replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Best not to ask for anything pick your own filter on the information people volunteer, and don't give any feedback, or replies.

Compared to getting a mortgage or bank loan or even car financing it seems residential landlords are expected to hand over a very expensive item without asking for basic information. I don't think that's the case for commercial leases where the owner wants all kinds of financial information & guarantees. How is it ok for them to ask for the information & they're not accused of discrimination

Compared to getting a mortgage or bank loan or even car financing it seems residential landlords are expected to hand over a very expensive item without asking for basic information. I don't think that's the case for commercial leases where the owner wants all kinds of financial information & guarantees. How is it ok for them to ask for the information & they're not accused of discrimination

Because the Govt out sourced their obligation to provide housing to the private sector, who didn't want it. So the Govt had to strong arm the sector into being unable to refuse it.

You don't have to ask for anything in particular, you can just ignore applications that don't volunteer the required information. I don't think there's any obligation to reply to anyone, or explain your criteria. If there was you could say you just rolled a dice.

Because the Govt out sourced their obligation to provide housing to the private sector, who didn't want it. So the Govt had to strong arm the sector into being unable to refuse it.

You don't have to ask for anything in particular, you can just ignore applications that don't volunteer the required information. I don't think there's any obligation to reply to anyone, or explain your criteria. If there was you could say you just rolled a dice.

Thanks beauf. Trying to understand if discrimination laws are the same for everyone then how can banks etc refuse some people a mortgage or loan based on employment status or ability to repay but a residential landlord is not allowed to ask for that security? Even employers - they ask for evidence of education, experience, qualifications etc before they employ someone.

Is that discrimination of residential landlords?

edit: Not tenant or ll, just find this topic interesting

Thanks beauf. Trying to understand if discrimination laws are the same for everyone then how can banks etc refuse some people a mortgage or loan based on employment status or ability to repay but a residential landlord is not allowed to ask for that security? Even employers - they ask for evidence of education, experience, qualifications etc before they employ someone.

Is that discrimination of residential landlords?

edit: Not tenant or ll, just find this topic interesting

Because the Govt makes the rules.
    Its not legally discrimination unless its defined in law.

https://www.rtb.ie/beginning-a-tenancy/discrimination

• Advertisement

For example a LL gets no Covid Relief, but is expected to finance the Govts rules around it.

This anti LL bias been going on for years. No one cares. But still complain about the housing crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The central bank requires banks to prove that applicants can afford their loans for macro economic purposes.

I.e. the effect of a tenant not paying a single landlord is negligible compared to ten thousand mortgage holders defaulting on a bank.

As we have learned from the 08 financial crisis.

The central bank requires banks to prove that applicants can afford their loans for macro economic purposes.

I.e. the effect of a tenant not paying a single landlord is negligible compared to ten thousand mortgage holders defaulting on a bank.

As we have learned from the 08 financial crisis.

The central bank actually regulating, mortgage loans, was something the central bank and the govt ignored for many years, against all good sense. They let the banks go crazy. I'm open to correction, but it was long after 2008, that the regulators decided to do their actual job and force the banks to actually use good judgement on their mortgages.

So many industries good practice, regulation, and enforcing these is not a given, though you'd expect it to be.

Because the Govt makes the rules.
    Its not legally discrimination unless its defined in law.

https://www.rtb.ie/beginning-a-tenancy/discrimination

Just read that link thanks. It doesn't say anything about a landlord not offering or terminating based on the ability to pay (ok that's different during covid).
    I gather from many posts that a lot of landlords don't want to deal with SW or councils who want higher accommodation standards or have different payment terms.

In general though, is this just the same as how employment legislation & employment contracts evolved? Years ago people started jobs on a handshake & many employees were treated badly. Now nearly all companies have detailed employment contracts & company handbooks, policies etc which are all part of the package so both parties know where they stand.

People used to rent on a handshake too. Landlords handing over a property worth hundreds of thousands without security seems crazy. Maybe going through a solicitor to draw up the lease?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭DubCount

Just read that link thanks. It doesn't say anything about a landlord not offering or terminating based on the ability to pay (ok that's different during covid).
    I gather from many posts that a lot of landlords don't want to deal with SW or councils who want higher accommodation standards or have different payment terms.

In general though, is this just the same as how employment legislation & employment contracts evolved? Years ago people started jobs on a handshake & many employees were treated badly. Now nearly all companies have detailed employment contracts & company handbooks, policies etc which are all part of the package so both parties know where they stand.

People used to rent on a handshake too. Landlords handing over a property worth hundreds of thousands without security seems crazy. Maybe going through a solicitor to draw up the lease?

The real problem is that the lease is becoming irrelevant. Whatever is agreed between LL and tenant in a lease is surpassed by the legislation (of which there is a constant stream).

I assume it's got nothing to do with employment law, but commercial law. With a load of special exceptions because it's to do with housing. Because the govt are trying to fill a huge gap they've abandoned.

Basically if you want to run a business you have to abide by the laws of the state. They just keep changing them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

DubCount wrote: »
    The real problem is that the lease is becoming irrelevant. Whatever is agreed between LL and tenant in a lease is surpassed by the legislation (of which there is a constant stream).

Imagine being able to agree with a person to lease an item to them for a defined period of time - say 1 year.

Lessee and lessor pay and get paid and are both happy with the arrangement.
    After their agreed year is up they each go their separate ways after both fulfilling their end of the agreement. They might even enter another agreement afterwards together.

Oh wait .... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

All this boohoo. :pac:

You voted for them!

Again! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Taylor365 wrote:
    All this boohoo.

Taylor365 wrote:
    You voted for them!

Doesnt matter who is in power there is no votes to be had siding with the greedy landlords.

• Advertisement

Saw this posted by Owen Reilly, an estate agent in Grand Canal Dock area of Dublin

"Inefficient/not fit for purpose processes from the Residential Tenancies Board (RTB) continue to cause great harm to landlords. A client of ours is now owed €18,480 in unpaid rent. The tenant has not paid any rent, not one penny since May last year despite the many financial supports that are available. Given the protection afforded tenants we were unable to issue a termination notice for months.

The RTB then conducted a ‘paper based adjudication’ in November, we are still waiting on a decision. When we ask why we don’t have a decision yet they blame Covid. Other bodies/companies are able to offer an efficient service yet the RTB cannot! They continue to demand a €90 charge from each landlord for each new tenancy. No one in the RTB seems to be accountable to anyone. In the meantime the tenant continues to abuse their processes causing great hardship to my client.

Assuming the RTB find in my client's favour, the tenant is then afforded many weeks’ notice to leave the property with no guarantee they will leave. My client then has to go to court to enforce the determination order. There is no fairness in this. The RTB needs to be urgently reformed. Tenants struggling financially deserve protection but not at the cost of private landlords. Are any other agents/landlords seeing this?"

Advertisement