Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Forum Lockdown thread - Stay At Home And Watch Lots Of Telly

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,588 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Nothin but love for Brendan Grace, but does anyone know how many times they've show this tribute Late Late already? It's at least four times, and not late night slots, in and around the 9 o'clock mark.

I mean, even if you were a huge Brendan fan, you'd have seen this several times already.

So, do we know what the craic is with talk shows over the summer?

Is there some equivalent of Stay There! (No, STAY THERE) or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Ahead of his 80th. birthday on Sunday, tis Tom Jones night on BBC Four tonight!

The greatest white blue-eyed soul singer Britain has ever produced. Fact. :)

I am honour bound to mention Mary Isobel Catherine Bernadette O'Brien in dispatches as an alternative candidate for that title, but yeah I bloody love your boy Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,105 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

On RTE Two at midnight, a documentary devoted entirely to some obscure Manchester band from the 90’s.

Apparently these are the TV Ratings in Ireland since the Lockdown started.

The Taoiseach's St Patrick's Day speech got enormous viewing figures. RTE should commission a full series of them :pac:

https://twitter.com/MoCatterson/status/1269326765555621889

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

"Reeling in the Years " St Pat's day after the news, at no.9. Just goes to show how many people leave the TV (or radio )on after the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,363 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Ol' Donie wrote: »

Is Angela Scanlon show cancelled?

Wee Daniel O' Donnell has at home skype show on TG4 (he is all over RTE and TG4)

They could air Marty in the Shed :p

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Hi Donie.

Maybe just keep the thing going here. Just discovered this thread yesterday.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is Angela Scanlon show cancelled?

Wee Daniel O' Donnell has at home skype show on TG4 (he is all over RTE and TG4)

They could air Marty in the Shed :p

There's a Hector in his shed one on TG4. Hector Anseo. I find it quite enjoyable, even if the idea of Hector Skyping people and a camera crew filming both parties talking to their screens is something I can't quite get my head around.

Meanwhile, I believe there's a new Hector travelling in Africa programme on the way, which I'm very much looking forward to.

Do yis remember that Irish woman who turned up on the Late Late (twice, I think) on the strength of the fact that she's editor of one of those American fashion magazines?

There seems to be a documentary about her on RTE this week.

Doesn't that seem a bit weird? Like isn't that really just an ad for her and her career?

Want to know what it's called?

Fearless: The Samantha whatever her name is story.

Fearless! I hope she did some time as a firefighter or something to deserve that title for the programme. I suppose it's more appropriate than some other words. For example "Modest".

(It is possible, of course, that these are two seperate Irish ladies who work for fashion magazines, which they might be. I don't care enough to check.)

• Advertisement

Buffy repeat starts tomorrow at 11pm on E4

• Registered Users Posts: 43,785 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Buffy repeat starts tomorrow at 11pm on E4
    The repeats started last Monday.. did a rewatch not too long ago though - and it still largely holds up!

Basq wrote: »
    The repeats started last Monday.. did a rewatch not too long ago though - and it still largely holds up!

Ah fceks thought it started today

That Fearless Samantha Barry doc on RTE 1 tonight

Jeeeeheeaysus.

Just back from walking the dogs. Either I'm totally mssing the vibe here, or she should be working for FIFA.

Just a string of people saying how amazing she is.

A magazine editor.

Watermelon and Enough are on the VM channels this weekend again

Do yis remember that Irish woman who turned up on the Late Late (twice, I think) on the strength of the fact that she's editor of one of those American fashion magazines?

There seems to be a documentary about her on RTE this week.

Doesn't that seem a bit weird? Like isn't that really just an ad for her and her career?

Want to know what it's called?

Fearless: The Samantha whatever her name is story.

Fearless! I hope she did some time as a firefighter or something to deserve that title for the programme. I suppose it's more appropriate than some other words. For example "Modest".

(It is possible, of course, that these are two seperate Irish ladies who work for fashion magazines, which they might be. I don't care enough to check.)
    That Fearless Samantha Barry doc on RTE 1 tonight

Well, I'm no expert on these things, but ...Samantha Barry is the editor of Glamour, the 'fearless' part of the title would make more sense if she had been editor of Cosmopolitan because their tagline is 'fun fearless female'.

You really don't want to be showing fear around the boardroom of any of those magazines, none more fearless than Anna Wintour of Vogue as was seen in 'The Devil Wears Prada ...

I miss Sport. A Lot.

Skid X wrote: »
    Well, I'm no expert on these things, but ...Samantha Barry is the editor of Glamour, the 'fearless' part of the title would make more sense if she had been editor of Cosmopolitan because their tagline is 'fun fearless female'.

You really don't want to be showing fear around the boardroom of any of those magazines, none more fearless than Anna Wintour of Vogue as was seen in 'The Devil Wears Prada ...

I miss Sport. A Lot.

It'll be back soon. Real soon.

I can't remember The Devil Wears Prada. Did that also have "Supported by you licence fee" actually in the end credits?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,722 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I miss Sport. A Lot.
    F1 back on the 5th of July. Vroom! Vroom!

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2020/0609/1146299-rte-announces-emergency-comic-relief-fundraiser/

RTE1 have scheduled a Comic Relief Telethon thing on Friday June 26

Hosted by Deirdre O'Kane, Nicky Byrne, Jennifer Zamparelli and Eoghan McDermott, the night promises to bring together the very best of Irish entertainment for a number of good causes.

You can expect performances and appearances from a whole host of Irish stars including Dara Ó Briain, Hozier, Amy Huberman, Chris O'Dowd, Jason Byrne, Normal People's Paul Mescal and Daisy Edgar-Jones, Andrew Scott, Nathan Carter, Niall Horan, Paul Howard, the RTÉ Concert Orchestra, Soulé, Lenny Abrahamson, Zig & Zag, Christy Moore, The Derry Girls, and many, many more...

When are the pubs opening again?

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2020/0609/1146299-rte-announces-emergency-comic-relief-fundraiser/

That's more or less a season of the Late Late only with Zig & Zag instead of Ryan.

• Advertisement

Where is the comedy in this comic relief telethon?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭brian_t

Speaking of comedy I really enjoyed the first two episodes of Staged last night.
    David Tennant and Michael Sheen play themselves as they prepare for a stage production while under lockdown.

Tonight on RTE One at 10.15pm, ‘David Gray: Ireland’s Biggest Hit’ - the story behind his album ‘White Ladder’ which remains the biggest-selling album of all time in Ireland!

But, Welshie...how can it outsell U2, The Beatles, The Carter Twins? Just what are the twenty biggest-selling albums in Irish Chart History?

Glad you asked, boardsies. :)

Here they are (play this music whilst you glance at the list)...

20. Shania Twain - Come On Over (1997)

19. Lady Gaga - The Fame (2008)

18. Bob Marley And The Wailers - Legend (1984)

17. Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill (1995)

16. The Verve - Urban Hymns (1997)

15. U2 - All That You Can’t Leave Behind (2000)

14. Michael Buble - Crazy Love (2009)

13. Coldplay - A Rush Of Blood To The Head (2002)

12. The Corrs - Talk On Corners (1997)

11. James Blunt - Back To Bedlam (2004) :eek: :eek: :eek:

10. Tracy Chapman - Tracy Chapman (1988)

9. The Beatles - 1 (2000)

8. Christy Moore - The Collection 81-91 (1991)

7. Adele - 21 (2011)

6. Oasis - (What’s The Story) Morning Glory? (1995)

5. Christy Moore - Live At The Point (1994)

4. U2 - The Best Of 1980-1990 (1998)

3. Various Artists - A Woman’s Heart (1992)

2. ABBA - Gold: The Greatest Hits (2002)

1. David Gray - White Ladder (1998)

Thanks for tuning in, pop pickers! :cool:

The Irish Charts were notorious for being rigged, the Dublin record companies used to send stooges around HMV/Golden Discs/Tower etc to make multiple purchases. Then there was this notorious scandal

Fair play to Daithi Liath all the same.

The Beatles would still be playing brothels in Hamburg if they were reliant on Irish sales :eek:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Surprised there's no Garth Brooks or Springsteen on that list.

Christ above, that is one depressing list.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Yeah only one Coldplay album, what's going on there?

Yeah only one Coldplay album, what's going on there?

Ah, come on now.

There's absolutely no need for that sort of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

S2 of My Brilliant Friends starts next Friday (19th) on Sky Atlantic. If it's as good as S1 it will be well worth watching.

• Advertisement

‘The Best Of The Late Late Show’ tonight at 9.35pm :pac:

Down a shot if any of the following make an appearance...

Francis Brennan
    Dermot Bannon
    Keith Barry
    Jason Byrne
    Pat Shortt
    Nathan or Jake Carter

:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement