Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Cybertruck

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Put down an order. Have been waiting for an electric pickup.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

The FIAT Multipla and Ssangyong Rodius better watch out. There is a new boy on the block contending for the crown of ugliest car ever.
    Pontiac Aztec just looks bland in comparisson.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,799 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

At least the glass breaking lent an air of reality.

If that thing passes EU pedestrian collision tests, I would be more than surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

All four are an example of polarising design. I for some reason am always drawn to unusual designs so I applaud Tesla for the bravery. The folk with different tastes can get the GM/Ford version if they're in market for an electric pickup. All three should make it to market around same time whith this. And Rivian will be around too if you want just a touch of polarising image.

It's great to have genuine choice in the world of largely boring cars.

cnocbui wrote: »
    At least the glass breaking lent an air of reality.

If that thing passes EU pedestrian collision tests, I would be more than surprised.

I don't think the pickup trucks in general fare very well for pedestrian safety. At least with Tesla's design it will be easy to provide a nice and soft "bonnet".

• Advertisement

samih wrote: »
    I don't think the pickup trucks in general fare very well for pedestrian safety. At least with Tesla's design it will be easy to provide a nice and soft "bonnet".
    Since when is stainless steel soft(or easy to clean for that matter)
    Pedestrian mortality figures have been going up in recent years due to the higher stance of SUVs and Trucks. It isn't the saloons and hatchbacks that are killing people any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭PaulRyan97

Was just looking up the F-150 there, the most commonly sold variant in the US is the 2.7L ecoboost, according to the EPA it gets 22mpg (10.69L/100km). One of the most popular vehicles in the US would be one of the most fuel inefficient here.

I wonder what proportion of the existing market Tesla are going for. Is it urban users of pickup trucks, I'd hazard a guess that if your deep in nowhere Texas than you're probably a fair distance from a supercharger.

Get hit by that and you'll be going forward or under it. How hard or soft the bonnet is, is irrelevant. Those protruding wheel hubs look to be a significant potential hazard for cyclists.

rivegauche wrote: »
    Since when is stainless steel soft(or easy to clean for that matter)
    Pedestrian mortality figures have been going up in recent years due to the higher stance of SUVs and Trucks. It isn't the saloons and hatchbacks that are killing people any more.

I did point out that the pickup trucks are not typically safe for pedestrians. The bonnet can be made soft with the right thickness of materials and by not having an engine with ancillaries to stop the deflection happening. Also the steeply raked windscreen is kind to pedestrians compared to typical windscreen. Finally the autopilot should ensure that most of the contacts can be avoided by the time this launches.

margins on Trucks in the US are even higher than Tesla cars and German luxury cars.
    A small slice of that market would be very profitable.
    Personally I think Rivian or the Ford truck that will be based on a Rivian has a better chance of capturing the Conservative Republican demographic that buy Trucks.
    The more workmanlike you make a Truck look, the better it sells in the U.S.
    I've been following a US motor industry trends channel for quite a while and they're a strange bunch that buy full size trucks in the U.S.

Autoline on Youtube.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I think it's cool as fυck! Vehicle design these days is so bloody bland. It's nice to see something that actually stands out.

I did point out that the pickup trucks are not typically safe for pedestrians. The bonnet can be made soft with the right thickness of materials and by not having an engine with ancillaries to stop the deflection happening. Also the steeply raked windscreen is kind to pedestrians compared to typical windscreen. Finally the autopilot should ensure that most of the contacts can be avoided by the time this launches.

Er - any impact where body deflection would be retarded by an engine would probably be at least 50 times over the fatality threshold for a pedestrian collision. The placement of the engine is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭PaulRyan97

https://ww.electrek.co/2019/11/22/tesla-cybertruck-vs-rivian-r1t-electric-pickup-comparison/

Damn, this could deal a hammer blow to Rivian. That price difference is something else.

Trucks aren't subject to the same safety regulations as Cars due to successful lobbying by the US Big Three Manufacturers.

PaulRyan97 wrote: »
    https://ww.electrek.co/2019/11/22/tesla-cybertruck-vs-rivian-r1t-electric-pickup-comparison/

Damn, this could deal a hammer blow to Rivian. That price difference is something else.
    Price isn't that important. They're paying around 70k average for full size trucks as it is and have no appetite for small ones which is why Honda and Nissan are struggling in the market.
    It is a really strange market that Europeans don't understand but I don't think Tech Geeks in northern California "get" it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,731 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I think it looks very unique, it's a bit like a Mars Rover , looks like it belongs on another planet. That is nailing the whole point of it's styling, suppose to look like it should be on another planet

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

Yep, as long as the pedestrian getting hit can make sure to conveniently hit the nice flat bit of the bonnet without first getting impaled on the almost spiky corners or getting their legs chopped off at the knee by the knife-edge bumper, everything should be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,731 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The glass breaking was funny, as normal glass in a side window of a car is pretty hard to break, could throw rocks at one countless times and it would not break, those windows in Tesla broke with one go.

pdpmur wrote: »
    Yep, as long as the pedestrian getting hit can make sure to conveniently hit the nice flat bit of the bonnet without first getting impaled on the almost spiky corners or getting their legs chopped off at the knee by the knife-edge bumper, everything should be fine!

I don't know what the construction of the front clip is like but as there won't be anything much mechanical in there Tesla can make the corners as soft as they want to.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Er - any impact where body deflection would be retarded by an engine would probably be at least 50 times over the fatality threshold for a pedestrian collision. The placement of the engine is irrelevant.

Tell that to the car manufacturers that are making the car fronts higher and higher to allow space under the bonnet for pedestrian safety.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

I think you are seeing a very very rough prototype compared to how the finished article will look. Ultimately aesthetics are a prized characteristic of all tesla products and I do think their philosophy in this regard will change because this is a heavy duty vehicle. Musk trolls for a living and I believe he is doing that once more for maximum hype, he's very clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭jusmeig

I think it looks very unique, it's a bit like a Mars Rover , looks like it belongs on another planet. That is nailing the whole point of it's styling, suppose to look like it should be on another planet

But is their a market for it...on this other planet?

jusmeig wrote: »
    But is their a market for it...on this other planet?

...for time being at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

This has to be a pisstake. He can’t possibly be serious with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Old diesel wrote: »
    Disappointing.

Tesla have shown they can do MUCH better then this styling wise.

Open goal for VW to develop something nicer then this in my opinion.

I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭Ryath

Really thought it was a prank at first. But part of me likes it. It will sell in America but it’s not really suited to European roads it’s massive 5.9 m long and 2.04 wide it’s about the size of a medium wheelbase Ford Transit for comparison.

PaulRyan97 wrote: »

You're not taking the supposed price seriously, are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

The usual medium and large truck buyers are buying something costly and not very fuel efficient.. The core product is fairly Conservative, (although there is a huge market for aggressive styling add ons, wheels lighting Ect..),
    So they're not really the market for this truck...

Tesla may be just using this cyber truck to set the stage.. Selling them as tough and agressive off road vehicles to give cred to SUV s that are to follow. You can't miss this thing, (like a hummer, it's daft but people love em)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

Musk said he was inspired by the Lotus Esprit, it's a pity he didn't actually look at one of them first.

• Advertisement

Markcheese wrote: »
    The usual medium and large truck buyers are buying something costly and not very fuel efficient.. The core product is fairly Conservative, (although there is a huge market for aggressive styling add ons, wheels lighting Ect..),
    So they're not really the market for this truck...

Tesla may be just using this cyber truck to set the stage.. Selling them as tough and agressive off road vehicles to give cred to SUV s that are to follow. You can't miss this thing, (like a hummer, it's daft but people love em)
    If they want a hummer they can get a hummer. GM are supposed to be bringing it back with an electric drive.

Advertisement