Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    Speaking of penalty points are most Learner wearing or not wearing L vest?

I’m reluctant to wear it.

Not new to bikes but new to Cat A.

Licenced in other categories + 40 years old.

Why would you want up to 4 points and a €90 fine, for not wearing it ? You (are likely) to be wearing a Hi-Viz anyway, so what does it matter ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Maccy D’s is back open and the Queues are mental, don’t understand why Theory Test and IBT centres aren’t all open again , head wrecking. Country has priorities up his a**

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Maccy D’s is back open and the Queues are mental, don’t understand why Theory Test and IBT centres aren’t all open again , head wrecking. Country has priorities up his a**

I was able to book a theory test next month. I just hope its open when I get there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

BruteStock wrote: »
    I was able to book a theory test next month. I just hope its open when I get there!

I booked for 12th August. According to the roadmap for reopening the centres are due to open on 10th

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

I booked for 12th August. According to the roadmap for reopening the centres are due to open on 10th

You reckon centres may be closed even if they allowed you to book online?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    Speaking of penalty points are most Learner wearing or not wearing L vest?

I’m reluctant to wear it.

Not new to bikes but new to Cat A.

Licenced in other categories + 40 years old.

Good luck explaining to a Garda how you're too experienced and old enough to not bother wearing one.

If it's that important, throw a backpack on, it'll cover up the back L plate. Technically you're still in the wrong, but you'd have a better chance of getting off if you're wearing it.

I'm speaking from experience, I got pulled in for speeding (69km/h in a 50 zone) just over three years ago. He then noted I didn't have my L vest on (I'd recently stopped wearing it as I felt like a nerd) and informed me it's another fine and additional points. I was lucky he let me off with just one fine and two points. I felt like a complete thick though, as nobody gave a toss whether I had an L plate on except me.

Just wear your L vest, do your time, do your lessons and pass your test.

You reckon centres may be closed even if they allowed you to book online?

Yeah, I heard from a. Friend that there was some form of glitch where a test slot was being reopened after someone had rescheduled their own test.

For example If I had booked a test for tmrw, and rescheduled it, that slot was being left available on the system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Good luck explaining to a Garda how you're too experienced and old enough to not bother wearing one.

If it's that important, throw a backpack on, it'll cover up the back L plate. Technically you're still in the wrong, but you'd have a better chance of getting off if you're wearing it.

I'm speaking from experience, I got pulled in for speeding (69km/h in a 50 zone) just over three years ago. He then noted I didn't have my L vest on (I'd recently stopped wearing it as I felt like a nerd) and informed me it's another fine and additional points. I was lucky he let me off with just one fine and two points. I felt like a complete thick though, as nobody gave a toss whether I had an L plate on except me.

Just wear your L vest, do your time, do your lessons and pass your test.

Any guard I've come across hasn't cared about my bag being over my L vest. It is a proper bike bag though. Think it's the fact I'm wearing it and not acting the tool in traffic helps me a bit.

Mjolnir wrote: »
    Any guard I've come across hasn't cared about my bag being over my L vest. It is a proper bike bag though. Think it's the fact I'm wearing it and not acting the tool in traffic helps me a bit.

Me either, but I'm *fairly* sure that they could give ya hassle if they followed the law to the letter. Can't find the legislation at the moment though, or else my googling skills have failed me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Me either, but I'm *fairly* sure that they could give ya hassle if they followed the law to the letter. Can't find the legislation at the moment though, or else my googling skills have failed me.

If you look at N tabard section of the 2014 act, it must be clearly viable, but as with all things you'd have to meet a very arsey guard.
    Realistically if you're on a bike and not acting the maggot bar a check point they won't really bother ya.

Yea hopefully so, I had to reschedule mine from last week and the closest date was July 22nd after that. No many dates to choose from. Fingers crossed they are opened and best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

When I first started I felt the same about the L vest, gave me the motivation to get the test done ASAP. I actually felt like that about all hi viz for a good while, now I look like a pack of skittles in my gear, that's what winter commuting does to you.

Testing centres reopening on Monday. Just rescheduled my test for Thursday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,497 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Good luck!

Scrap the cap!

Yea indeed, got a new date of June 15th too down from July 22nd :D . Delighted. Best of luck to you. Question what’s the story with having your phone on your person, do you leave it in with reception or what? Sounds simple but after reading the rules I didn’t see anything definitive. Plus would need it for confirmation number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Actual tests, or just theory tests?

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Actual tests, or just theory tests?

Theory. I’m (quite literally) at the beginning of the process. .

Any news on IBT’s opening? The Waterford website is still showing closed for Roadskills on the Airport road. Any other ones around the country opened? Thought with the Theory Test centers opening that they would follow suit.

Theory. I’m (quite literally) at the beginning of the process. .

Did you use the app for study or what did you use? I found the app excellent so I’m far more confident then I was with the free app a good few weeks ago. DDT app is much more in depth.

Did you use the app for study or what did you use? I found the app excellent so I’m far more confident then I was with the free app a good few weeks ago. DDT app is much more in depth.

The DTT app... Causing me trouble with the missus cos we'll be watching telly and she's giving out to me for 'always being on your phone!!' :pac::pac:

• Advertisement

The DTT app... Causing me trouble with the missus cos we'll be watching telly and she's giving out to me for 'always being on your phone!!' :pac::pac:

Haha next it’ll be you’re always in the feckin bike :D Great App for anyone learning, even if you drive a car it’s totally different. The crash report stats and the car hand signals done my head in for a while. If you don’t get the app you’d get some shocker on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Acquiescence

Apparently the RSA will be prioritising applicants on the Short Notice List once testing resumes.

I suppose that's fairly obvious once I see it typed.

I got switched over to the short notice list by emailing them. Just a heads up if anyone is waiting.

Apparently the RSA will be prioritising applicants on the Short Notice List once testing resumes.

I suppose that's fairly obvious once I see it typed.

I got switched over to the short notice list by emailing them. Just a heads up if anyone is waiting.

Is that for the full bike test?

Just checking online and the driving tests were in Phase 5, so now that’s been scrapped we can expect IBT training to resume on the 29th of June with the Barbers being allowed it seems to reopen on that date also. Here’s hoping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭dubal2008

Just finished IBT yesterday with Airport Driving School ...

dubal2008 wrote: »
    Just finished IBT yesterday with Airport Driving School ...

Congrats, well done. Any tips after doing it?

Listen in the class room, and when out on the road keep a cool head, you will make mistakes and the first part when out riding id like OVERLOAD of all senses but the second part was great and you feel a lot more in control of everything during the ride back to the compound, I would recommend having at very least your own Helmet, gloves and boots.

Listen in the class room, and when out on the road keep a cool head, you will make mistakes and the first part when out riding id like OVERLOAD of all senses but the second part was great and you feel a lot more in control of everything during the ride back to the compound, I would recommend having at very least your own Helmet, gloves and boots.

Thank you for the info, I have boots and gloves already, buying the Helmet is the end of this month and my friends have a jacket and pants my size if I get IBT before I get the rest of my gear together. I can imagine the overload of the senses, so many little things and just road confidence to build up.

The most common mistake I made was not switching off my indicators, and looking down at the switch, otherwise the shoulder glance has to be remembered

The most common mistake I made was not switching off my indicators, and looking down at the switch, otherwise the shoulder glance has to be remembered

Yea it is less obvious on Bike I’d say with the switch not bring over to the left or the right. Practice and familiarity eh. Yea the “life saver” I’ve been using my car driving skills to sharpen by a awareness on the road especially cyclists and Motorbikes. The only thing is to get onto a bike and learn that way. Looking forward to it.

• Advertisement

I was told yesterday I have about a 2 month wait until an IBT slot comes available. And also that they don’t provide helmet , boots or gloves anymore. Jackets etc are fine just not stuff that would be regarded as personal protection, which in these days is fair enough.

Going gear shopping this weekend. And the Mrs bought me a bike yesterday as a late wedding pressie!!

Knuckle,,, that post is useless without pictures.......first the bike then the Mrs
    on a good note Airport provides all equipment needed

I was told yesterday I have about a 2 month wait until an IBT slot comes available. And also that they don’t provide helmet , boots or gloves anymore. Jackets etc are fine just not stuff that would be regarded as personal protection, which in these days is fair enough.

Going gear shopping this weekend. And the Mrs bought me a bike yesterday as a late wedding pressie!!

Where’s that IBT that they don’t provide the gear? Agreed, We definitely need a picture of your new machine :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Where’s that IBT that they don’t provide the gear? Agreed, We definitely need a picture of your new machine :D

I'd say this will be almost all IBTs now due to covid. You'll need your own lid and gloves.

zubair wrote: »
    I'd say this will be almost all IBTs now due to covid. You'll need your own lid and gloves.

Yea most likely, depending on dates but I’ll have everything by then which I’d rather ride in my own gear anyway to feel comfy and one less thing to adapt to. Currently watch TV with boots on and gloves some nights to wear them in haha He fun when I buy the helmet lol

zubair wrote: »

That’s exactly what they said. They had jackets and trousers, but boots, gloves and helmet are all no longer provides.

I’ll add a pic when I get to a laptop.

Honda Deauville

nice one, a friend has the same bike in silver and he tours a lot on it

• Advertisement

nice one, a friend has the same bike in silver and he tours a lot on it

That's part of my plan. I can't justify a second car for herself, cos it' be sitting outside the house most of the time. a family car and that beasty will more than suit our needs!

(for our needs read MINE!!)

Honda Deauville

That’s nice :D , many years of touring around on that, well may she wear. As presents go, that’s fairly class.

I saw Aaron Rider Training post that they won't supply IBT gear going forward due to Covid-19. Completely understandable, and tbh, schools doing otherwise are taking a risk to both their customers and their own reputation.

Sharing a helmet would be the equivalent of sharing a face mask.

I saw Aaron Rider Training post that they won't supply IBT gear going forward due to Covid-19. Completely understandable, and tbh, schools doing otherwise are taking a risk to both their customers and their own reputation.

Sharing a helmet would be the equivalent of sharing a face mask.

Would be like sharing the same air with a complete stranger, agreed. Suppose it would make you make that big commitment first of all of buying all the gear then forking out for the IBT so anyone who goes to do it are 100% committed. So no IBT provided gear at all? Must set them back a few bob. Is Aaron’s school back open it given a date?

IBT Centre in Waterford :D 4th of July. I see there’s no mention on the website anymore of PPE gear as a previous poster said about another riding school. So it’s all go now soon enough :) They have said on the website they are looking for riders to pair up so heads up for anyone in a position to do that.

Would be like sharing the same air with a complete stranger, agreed. Suppose it would make you make that big commitment first of all of buying all the gear then forking out for the IBT so anyone who goes to do it are 100% committed. So no IBT provided gear at all? Must set them back a few bob. Is Aaron’s school back open it given a date?

They're the lads who are giving me a guide of 2 months. He had people booked in and wants to feed them through first, which is fair enough

• Advertisement

They're the lads who are giving me a guide of 2 months. He had people booked in and wants to feed them through first, which is fair enough

Yea sure you’d have to respect that. Did you book in with them then? I see it’s 495 euro for novice one to one training. Timeline is good, suits my plan perfectly, I’ll have all the gear and my bike budget so once it’s done I can go bike shopping :D

I'll also chip in by saying, Aaron Rider Training are absolutely exceptional. I did my IBT and my pre test training with them (passed the test first time) and will be going back for advanced training when I have the cash. If you go with them, you're in the best hands.

I'll also chip in by saying, Aaron Rider Training are absolutely exceptional. I did my IBT and my pre test training with them (passed the test first time) and will be going back for advanced training when I have the cash. If you go with them, you're in the best hands.

They were recommended to me by a couple of friends, and they have been very open about things.

Two months gives me time to get the cash together anyway, so it suits me too

Yea sure you’d have to respect that. Did you book in with them then? I see it’s 495 euro for novice one to one training. Timeline is good, suits my plan perfectly, I’ll have all the gear and my bike budget so once it’s done I can go bike shopping :D

He wouldn’t allow me book as I haven’t got the provisional licence yet. Did theory yesterday 39/40. It’s WRECKING my head as to which one I got wrong! I. Think it was the heavy rain and what do in that case.

He wouldn’t allow me book as I haven’t got the provisional licence yet. Did theory yesterday 39/40. It’s WRECKING my head as to which one I got wrong! I. Think it was the heavy rain and what do in that case.

Congratulations.
    I hope I have a similar issue haha what was the question? Do you need to have it physically on your licence to book it or can you do it once you finish your appointment in the NDLS?

• Advertisement
Advertisement