Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Interesting.... At that price I'm tempted to give it a go. Full on Kamado a bit out of reach for me so this might be a good starting point

Its very small not sure what ya would be cooking on it. Did you look at those kamado bono ? I think thats what they are called they are in the Lithuanian shops

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭dingbat

Newtown90 wrote: »
    Mini Kamado in Lidl June 18th.

26.5 cm diameter is fairly small.
    Yeah I've had someone ask me about this already.

This is *not* a size that is useful for much. Too small for feeding more than two, i.e. not even a family of four. Definitely far far too small for doing what many people love doing with barbecues, i.e. having people over and enjoying time with family and friends.

HOWEVER....

if you already have a smoker, or a gas bbq, or a kettle, or even a bigger kamado then I could absolutely see a case for buying one of these as an accompanying machine.

"for what?"

Well, that small size means that if you want to get a small amount of food seared - e.g. a couple of steaks or a single Cote de Boeuf - then this will take less time to light and get up to temp than your kettle or larger kamado.

Secondly, if you have a bbq with what we might call a standard size 18" cooking area then when you *do* have a gathering with (post-Covid!) a load of people around then having extra cooking area is never anything other than a Very Good Thing. And if you want to use it as a v v small smoker, well that's gravy.

Like all things, get the right tool for your needs.

Hope that's helpful to someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

mloc123 wrote: »
    Maiden voyage

Successful first long and low cook. Brisket next weekend I think.

For anyone looking for a probe thermometer, I picked one up in Tesco for 13e... Just a single probe, with a timer/temp alarm. Saved me paying 70e for a Weber in my local garden centre tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Chicken thighs & drumsticks on the vortex last night with a chunk of cherry.

20200606-200235.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭SachaJ

20% or 30% smaller than the Kamado Joe Jr but around 75% cheaper.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Did a first low n slow on the weber mastertouch premium.

Used the charcoal ring and diffuser plate (thanks for the tips earlier guys!) , with some boiling water in a metal tray. Did a small pork shoulder and it turned out brilliant.

Using weber briquettes found it really easy to keep the temperature static between 230 and 250f. Added lit coals to unlit coals and probably could have got 10 hours out of the cook, but only needed about 5/6.

So thanks for the tips!

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

SachaJ wrote: »

As cool as it would be to have a kamado of some sort, this just seems ridiculously small.

Plus...she’ll kill me if I get another bbq!

Tempted by this.
    Have a full size one but would like one for doing lunch for 2 in a different part of the garden.
    They also look very very cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Any thoughts on the Aldi drum coming up this week? Looking to replace an old cheap woodies kettle.

https://www.aldi.ie/oil-drum-design-charcoal-bbq/p/800466380629001

Seems like decent value on the face of it?

• Advertisement

Vikings wrote: »
    Any thoughts on the Aldi drum coming up this week? Looking to replace an old cheap woodies kettle.

https://www.aldi.ie/oil-drum-design-charcoal-bbq/p/800466380629001

Seems like decent value on the face of it?

As a grill I’m sure its fine. As a smoker... I’m yet to find a cheapo never heard of brand that has a good enough seal to sustain a stable temp for anything more than an hour. It will drive you nuts if that’s the case. But maybe they’re improving¿

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

As a grill I’m sure its fine. As a smoker... I’m yet to find a cheapo never heard of brand that has a good enough seal to sustain a stable temp for anything more than an hour. It will drive you nuts if that’s the case. But maybe they’re improving¿

Kinda half looking at a cheapo one just for a punt. Like this.

1b820efa-f16d-4cce-869a-80a700ad51f8.jpg

Although what I'd really love is a reverse flow smoker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

The Nal wrote: »

Yer man Pitmasterx did a smoke on one of these and it turned out pretty good apparently..it might fall apart after a year or 2 but it works as a smoker

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Don't waste your money. I bought a cheap offset in Homebase 2 years ago and it's dire. It's been used 4 or 5 times and more as a grill as it's useless for smoking. Leaks like crazy, very light neural that doesn't hold hat and very hard to get the temp on the cook chamber up
    The Nal wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

neris wrote: »
    Don't waste your money. I bought a cheap offset in Homebase 2 years ago and it's dire. It's been used 4 or 5 times and more as a grill as it's useless for smoking. Leaks like crazy, very light neural that doesn't hold hat and very hard to get the temp on the cook chamber up

Cheers, yeah nipped over to Homebase at lunch for a look at it. Even the display model looked nasty. The main lid didn't close all the way :rolleyes:, the smoker box lid was wobbly and looks like it could be broken off by a gust of wind and the thermometer has a bolt on the end so the ridiculously short probe part doesn't go deeper than the inside of the lid.

Ill give it a skip.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 cmcp

Hi to all ye Bbq experts. I'm looking for a charcoal bbq for a novice. Has to be high of the ground, feed 6, hinged lid & long lasting. I was looking at Weber master touch premium but it's very expensive. I would have liked side areas for storing plates etc but Weber kettles don't have that. Budget €200/250 what would ye recommend.

cmcp wrote: »
    Hi to all ye Bbq experts. I'm looking for a charcoal bbq for a novice. Has to be high of the ground, feed 6, hinged lid & long lasting. I was looking at Weber master touch premium but it's very expensive. I would have liked side areas for storing plates etc but Weber kettles don't have that. Budget €200/250 what would ye recommend.

I'd go with the Master Touch 5755 if you can stretch another €49
    https://www.weber.com/IE/en/barbecues/charcoal-barbecues/master-touch-series/14801004.html?cgid=4#start=1

For plates etc I use a camping table.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭carq

The Aldi one above looks to be suited to your needs and budget.
    Cant speak on the quality but if you are grilling it shouldn't matter too much, maybe keep it out of the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Anyone ordered direct form Weber and had the order split without them saying so?

Ordered a mastertouch, a chimney starter and a pizza stone and order is showing as complete but I've only received the bbq.

Will get onto them but it's a webform so I'm not expecting a fast answer so if anyone else could reassure that the rest should be on the way?

Anyone ordered direct form Weber and had the order split without them saying so?

Ordered a mastertouch, a chimney starter and a pizza stone and order is showing as complete but I've only received the bbq.

Will get onto them but it's a webform so I'm not expecting a fast answer so if anyone else could reassure that the rest should be on the way?

Ordered 3 bags of charcoal and a bag of wood chunks. Only received 1 bag of charcoal and the chunks today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

Yeah they did that to me last year too. The rest of it showed up a few days later.

I just got confirmation from Weber that it's a split delivery and the other part of the order is still with DPD.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Nice to see BBQ getting more popular

Here's some of my Ribs smoked with a combo of Cherry and Oak

bQKJIlA.jpg

ijNAoeP.jpg

RLF5s6b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭FollowMyWay

Nice looking ribs Shakey_jake! Where do you buy them?

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thejaguar

I'm thinking of making something that I can roll the weber kettle into so I have some room to the side for putting dishes, utensils etc.

I'd want to be able to roll it out and put it in the shed when it's not in use (winter/bad weather).

Anyone ever done anything like that - any thoughts?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

in the middle of building one right now for my KJ. it's likely a lot bigger than what you are thinking of though

FXrfPHMl.jpg

mossym wrote: »
    in the middle of building one right now for my KJ. it's likely a lot bigger than what you are thinking of though

FXrfPHMl.jpg

Savage,
    Its on my long list.
    What size/type timer is that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭budgemook

Also planning on building something for the KJ - I am thinking a bit of a pergola with a unit underneath for the KJ to wheel into. Extra marks if I can hang a hammock on it when the BBQ is not there.

It'll probably turn out like a Homer Simpson DIY job but sure no harm in trying.

Nice to see BBQ getting more popular

Here's some of my Ribs smoked with a combo of Cherry and Oak

bQKJIlA.jpg

ijNAoeP.jpg

RLF5s6b.jpg

Is that a bottle of rib candy to the left? Where did you find it?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

For those with the mastertouch premium - have you had to do the hinge fix or is the lid performing well without it?

Advertisement