Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Dunne_bkill

davegilly wrote: »
    I'm 8 hours in and at 178 :(

I dont think 190 is enough - id go to 195 minimum and preferably 203 for it to be absolutely falling off the bone.

Another half hour or so will get you to 195 surely? Hours rest and youll be good to go for 5.30pm!!

First time I've done this tbh. But I'm at 194 now and 273F temp. Most of the cook has been at 225 though had to ramp it up to get past that plateau at 170. I think another half hour or so will do it alright thanks for the reply.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,956 ✭✭✭fitz

First time I've done this tbh. But I'm at 194 now and 273F temp. Most of the cook has been at 225 though had to ramp it up to get past that plateau at 170. I think another half hour or so will do it alright thanks for the reply.

275F is fine to finish off... Alternatively, wrap to speed up getting through the stall and beyond.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I am near 9 hours into a pork shoulder cook and I'm finding it hard to get the temp up to 200/203F. I'm at 190 at the moment and it hasn't really budged in a while. It stalled at 170 earlier but I pushed through it. Any tips? Do people think 190 is done enough??

I take it off at 190 and let it rest.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

fitz wrote: »
    275F is fine to finish off... Alternatively, wrap to speed up getting through the stall and beyond.

I cook mine at 250f until it stalls. Then wrap in tinfoil with some
    Apple juice.

Raise the temp to 275-280 and cook to 190F. Rest for an hour and then pull.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

I am near 9 hours into a pork shoulder cook and I'm finding it hard to get the temp up to 200/203F. I'm at 190 at the moment and it hasn't really budged in a while. It stalled at 170 earlier but I pushed through it. Any tips? Do people think 190 is done enough??

Can try wrapping to get it up to temp, also are we all being brainwashed by these bbq books.
    Everyone seems to be using F° instead of C° :)

• Advertisement

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Can try wrapping to get it up to temp, also are we all being brainwashed by these bbq books.

All the bbq recipes are American, it is the home of real bbq.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Might seem stupid but did you try sliding it to the right, you should be able to close it off that way also

Doesn't fully close at either extreme. I think there's a little play in the vent handle so will need to tighten it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

We're quite new to charcoal bbq's. Tonight we lit briquettes (these ones) in the chimney and let them burn for 15/20mins.

But they never really light to red embers and instead just smoldered and smoked. We use the lighter cubes so tried to relight them, made no difference. Not really sure what we did wrong. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Gautama

Has anyone tried DIY/homemade smoking chips/chunks for use in the barbecue?
    I’ve been using shop bought stuff the last few years, like oak, cherry, and apple.
    Now I’m going to try making my own. I pollarded an oak tree in my back garden earlier this year so will use some of the branches for the bbq. My local park has a few cherry trees so I might grab a branch or two there.

As honey Maggie season has started I’m saving the skin and stone for the bbq too. I know they use mango wood in the US for smoking so I’ll give the skin/stone a go with chicken some day.

Any tips or other suggestions?

yellow hen wrote: »
    We're quite new to charcoal bbq's. Tonight we lit briquettes (these ones) in the chimney and let them burn for 15/20mins.

But they never really light to red embers and instead just smoldered and smoked. We use the lighter cubes so tried to relight them, made no difference. Not really sure what we did wrong. Any ideas?

They don’t need to be red to cook on. Once they’re all greyed over with ash, you’re ready to cook. When the top coals in your starter are grey, you’re good to go.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Did my first WSM cook. Baby back ribs first for 2 hours, (sprayed with water twice), then sprayed and wrapped for a further hour then opened, coated with home made BBQ sauce both sides and a further 20 or so minutes.
    Around 225*f. Using lid thermo.
    Sausages for an hour, were fine.

Nice smoky flavour, well cooked but.......dry enough. Not overly dry but not juicy.

Happy enough with flavour.

Got an analog thermometer in the post for use through grommet at rack level....should give a truer insight.

Holding off buying an Inkbird 'cause I don't like the idea of wires trailing out everywhere :o

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Dunne_bkill

Got my pork shoulder done yesterday. Thanks for the help in here.

I got it to 198 and had to pull it off as patience was gone and snake almost out. Cooked the majority of it at 225 and then the last few hours at 250/260 to help up the internal temp. It pulled perfectly after sitting for 30 mins. Easily the nicest meat I've ever cooked and I was very skeptical at the beginning whether it would work out or not.

I made one error though. I pulled it and out it on low heat in over for 20 mins to keep it warm whilst I cooked the other food. It dried it out slightly but still delicious. In future I won't pull it until its serving time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I got it to 198 and had to pull it off as patience was gone and snake almost out. Cooked the majority of it at 225 and then the last few hours at 250/260 to help up the internal temp. It pulled perfectly after sitting for 30 mins. Easily the nicest meat I've ever cooked and I was very skeptical at the beginning whether it would work out or not.

I made one error though. I pulled it and out it on low heat in over for 20 mins to keep it warm whilst I cooked the other food. It dried it out slightly but still delicious. In future I won't pull it until its serving time.

Just wrap it in foil and/or a tea towel after you take it out. Will keep it warm for hours and wont lose moisture.

If you have a cooler box, you can pull it off wrap it and stick it in there for hours until you're ready to eat.

Brian? wrote: »
    They don’t need to be red to cook on. Once they’re all greyed over with ash, you’re ready to cook. When the top coals in your starter are grey, you’re good to go.

We tried that but they just smoldered away. We had both vents open, tried to relight the briquettes but same result.

We tried that but they just smoldered away. We had both vents open, tried to relight the briquettes but same result.

They are suppose to smolder, they're hot enough to cook on.

they/them/theirs

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,956 ✭✭✭fitz

Wife got us a Bujo burger box for the bank holiday weekend, perfect timing as the replacement for my cracked KJ firebox arrived on Friday. 4 minutes a side for the patties. Absolutely delicious.

514845.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭micks_address

Oops moving to gas

How long have you had them? Could they have been damp?

How long have you had them? Could they have been damp?

No we only got them the other day. Smoldering is not the word, smoking moreso. Couldn't have put food near them. Tried again today directly on the bbq and same result.

• Advertisement

No we only got them the other day. Smoldering is not the word, smoking moreso. Couldn't have put food near them. Tried again today directly on the bbq and same result.

Maybe just bad charcoal, I've never used anything other that Weber and never had problems

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Gautama wrote: »
    Has anyone tried DIY/homemade smoking chips/chunks for use in the barbecue?
    I’ve been using shop bought stuff the last few years, like oak, cherry, and apple.
    Now I’m going to try making my own. I pollarded an oak tree in my back garden earlier this year so will use some of the branches for the bbq. My local park has a few cherry trees so I might grab a branch or two there.

As honey Maggie season has started I’m saving the skin and stone for the bbq too. I know they use mango wood in the US for smoking so I’ll give the skin/stone a go with chicken some day.

Any tips or other suggestions?

Mod note:
    Gautama I've merged this with the charcoal BBQ megathread, it stands a better chance of being seen in here.

Bumping this after the merge :)

Please lads .
    Stop it with the F.
    Do you really want to be Americans or something?
    Do you measure your ingredients in cups too?

Please lads .
    Stop it with the F.
    Do you really want to be Americans or something?
    Do you measure your ingredients in cups too?

Let it go. Every decent bbq recipe is written in F.

they/them/theirs

I’m bamboozled. Did you take a picture?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Let it go. Every decent bbq recipe is written in F.

Yeh, in America

vicwatson wrote: »
    Yeh, in America

The home of bbq.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Ryath

Can't work with farenheit if I'm using an american recipe I have to convert them before hand. I don't mind cups and spoons for certain things like making a rub but for accuracy when baking I want grams and ml. When it calls for a cup of butter just how am to measure a solid square block in a round cup!

Oatmeal_comic_2.JPG.scaled1000.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1369523633793

Ryath wrote: »
    Can't work with farenheit if I'm using an american recipe I have to convert them before hand. I don't mind cups and spoons for certain things like making a rub but for accuracy when baking I want grams and ml. When it calls for a cup of butter just how am to measure a solid square block in a round cup!

Oatmeal_comic_2.JPG.scaled1000.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1369523633793

Butter is measured in sticks most of the time. Which is even dumber.

I only ever work in Fahrenheit for bbq. So it’s easy. If I’m baking I use C. It’s just something I’m used to from smoking meat for the last 12 years.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

Butter is measured in sticks most of the time. Which is even dumber.

I only ever work in Fahrenheit for bbq. So it’s easy. If I’m baking I use C. It’s just something I’m used to from smoking meat for the last 12 years.

I like to keep my smoker at 225f° and cook my beef to internal temp of 60c° while sunbathing in 297.15 Kelvin heat.

Advertisement