Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stalls on O’Connell bridge

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

It’s in England though. You’d want to be given the 75k.

Anyway, the OP wants to set up one in Dublin.

OP has no chance like I already said. Best bet is doing it illegally at GAA matches and such. Although COVID has put a stop to that.

He could also try setting up in a business park

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I remember there used to be a hot dog stall on the southside of OConnell bridge circa 2006. It didnt last though for some reason. I dont think the council would allow it now but even if they did Id expect some sort of criminal gang to be asking for protection money.

As others said things like festivals would be a better outlet. Though that said the competition there can be fierce when organisers sell lots of traders space but allow too many stalls for the size of the crowd. Hot dogs might be a difficult sell when surrounded by gourmet burger stalls, wood fired pizza, etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I had a couple of friends tried to get a similar small food outlet going about 7 or 8 years ago for festivals and the like. They found a virtual brick wall when approaching councils and some rather 'robust' players already in the market, which in the end was what put them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

spurious wrote: »
    I had a couple of friends tried to get a similar small food outlet going about 7 or 8 years ago for festivals and the like. They found a virtual brick wall when approaching councils and some rather 'robust' players already in the market, which in the end was what put them off.

I have regular dealings with councils & the public related to the likes of this and unfortunately (no judgement on your friends) the amount of complete dreamers they get applying to set up burger vans, hot dog stalls etc. is unreal and would wear you down after a while. There can also be a huge difference depending on where in the country you are and what council you are dealing with. Some are very pro, others not interested in the slightest.

With festivals and the likes, most operators have their regular vendors who they know and trust and would rightly be reluctant to put their own reputation on the line for an unknown trader. Bear in mind also, most of these guys didn't just appear at the big gigs overnight. Most have spent years at the small crappy markets and events building up a track record and developing relationships.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Polar101

I'm pretty surprised such strict standards exist.. some of the stuff you can buy at food markets definitely doesn't look like it had any licenses backing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Polar101 wrote: »
    I'm pretty surprised such strict standards exist.. some of the stuff you can buy at food markets definitely doesn't look like it had any licenses backing it.

Markets from what I have seen normally operate under a single entity. They allow people to come in and setup. They charge a fee for this. I suspect that that person then is responsible for the hygiene related standards and set out the criteria for each stall to operate. I have seen this person in a local market. So basically if you have an issue you need to address it to the person who is running the market as if they are in breach the whole market would be closed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

There's a reason you see pretty much zero stalls in Dublin. It's pretty much impossible. And businesses who have premises in the area will object to everything. The way they see it is why should they have to pay huge rates to trade on somewhere like Westmorland street when a guy with a cart can come along and do it for nothing.
    Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see food like this available in Dublin, but I can't see it happening. Stuff like "where's your toilet" is going to stop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

Cienciano wrote: »
    And businesses who have premises in the area will object to everything.

This is quite true however if a designated trading pitch exists in an area, unless the street trader is taking the piss/not adhering to their licence conditions, there's nothing the objector can do other than have a moan.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Cienciano wrote: »
    There's a reason you see pretty much zero stalls in Dublin. It's pretty much impossible. And businesses who have premises in the area will object to everything. The way they see it is why should they have to pay huge rates to trade on somewhere like Westmorland street when a guy with a cart can come along and do it for nothing.
    Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see food like this available in Dublin, but I can't see it happening. Stuff like "where's your toilet" is going to stop it.

Yeah and businesses are justifiably pissed off. Which makes what DCC allow to happen on Henry St at Christmas even more bizarre. Like of Arnotts and Jervis paying huge money in rates and then the council allow traders to swan in and sell tat at the busiest point in the retail year.

I know the council do allow in or around 20 or 30 casual trading pitches for food vendors on match days and concerts in Lansdowne Road. That could be an option for the OP but it would still only be five or six days a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

There are a couple of vans at the top of Stephen's Green/Harcourt Street area. And as someone already mentioned one on Camden Street.

• Advertisement
Advertisement