Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stalls on O’Connell bridge

Options
  • 05-06-2020 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,395 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know who is the authority for setting up a stall on OConnell bridge?

Or do you just set up and trade?

My business partner has imported a German hot dog stand which is very tidy in terms of size and width and we want to set up on either o Connell bridge or corner of grafton st and Wicklow st to sell hot dogs street food and coffee/tea etc.

The plan was to start in mid May but due to lockdown we have not started as yet. We want to do it as a trial for a few weeks at first then more regularly

Is there anyone who can advise on this and what is required and also when is the best times for footfall?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

Dublin City Council. You will need a casual trading license

https://www.dublincity.ie/casualtrading

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Does anyone know who is the authority for setting up a stall on OConnell bridge?

Or do you just set up and trade?

My business partner has imported a German hot dog stand which is very tidy in terms of size and width and we want to set up on either o Connell bridge or corner of grafton st and Wicklow st to sell hot dogs and coffee/tea etc.

The plan was to start in mid May but due to lockdown we have not started as yet. We want to do it as a trial for a few weeks at first then more regularly

Is there anyone who can advise on this and what is required and also when is the best times for footfall?

You bought the stand to be ready for May, yet still don't know the rules and regs, or when is best to operate?

You'll need HACCP, Food Hygiene, and talk to council about permits.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,395 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The stand has been in the country since January. It’s the same as the most popular type used in Berlin and other German cities

The plan was always to start trading around mid May and continue until September but to analyse busiest Times and busiest locations for trade

Food hygiene is v important yes. The supplier we are in touch with is a very well known and renowned food supplier for the catering trade.

We are planning on doing Mexican and Brazilian street food along with traditional hot dogs. I think it’ll go down well

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the chances of getting a licence for this will be close to zero. Any prime trading pitches have lengthy waiting lists and when available, will generally go to existing vendors with proven track records.
    Markets and private events are going to be your best bet to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Having seen the requirements to get a food truck HSE licenced I do not see how a hot dog cart ever can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I think you’ll be much better off finding other locations like food markets and or farmers markets. O’Connell street bridge - even with a shred of research - would have been a non-runner let alone spending money before knowing if it was feasible or not.

I doubt a hotdog cart needs to be approved to the same level of restaurants etc.

Also, are the ppl who sell jewelery etc on oconnell bridge licensed by Dublin City council? Seeing them is what gave us the idea to set up on the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I doubt a hotdog cart needs to be approved to the same level of restaurants etc.

Also, are the ppl who sell jewelery etc on oconnell bridge licensed by Dublin City council? Seeing them is what gave us the idea to set up on the bridge.

They are licensed, they’d be moved on swiftly if they weren’t.

Word of advice; you’ve come on to boards looking for information that seems like you haven’t done the faintest of google search on and are given off a defensive tone when you’ve not been given the answers you’d like to hear from people who are experienced in this area. I’d recommend listening to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

Hot Dog carts don't require approval to the same degree as restaurants but still need approval nonetheless.

Yes, the jewellery sellers are licenced by Dublin City Council. They occupy pitches which have been designated expressly for the sale of jewellery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,366 ✭✭✭✭ted1

“I doubt”. Yeah good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Does your business partner work on the apron in Dublin Airport?

They are licensed, they’d be moved on swiftly if they weren’t.

Word of advice; you’ve come on to boards looking for information that seems like you haven’t done the faintest of google search on and are given off a defensive tone when you’ve not been given the answers you’d like to hear from people who are experienced in this area. I’d recommend listening to them.

I’m not in the least defensive.

We also done research - my business partner has got v positive feedback from the city local enterprise board for example.

What??

Here you go. Plenty actual facts here. https://www.fsai.ie/food_businesses/starting_business.html

The important bit is “All food businesses, big or small, whether operating from a business premises, in the home or from a mobile unit or food stall, must be aware of the legislation regarding food hygiene and food safety. Ultimately, you are responsible for ensuring the food you produce is safe.”

Here you go. Plenty actual facts here. https://www.fsai.ie/food_businesses/starting_business.html

The important bit is “All food businesses, big or small, whether operating from a business premises, in the home or from a mobile unit or food stall, must be aware of the legislation regarding food hygiene and food safety. Ultimately, you are responsible for ensuring the food you produce is safe.”

Fully support that as previously said. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

A hotdog cart has at least as much chance as a restaurant of giving you food poisoning. So yes the hygiene standards are high, probably higher due to lack of access to running water.

Fully support that as previously said. Thank you

Fully support, but have you gotten it all done? No point in applying for a permit without having all the foundations done.

Fully support, but have you gotten it all done? No point in applying for a permit without having all the foundations done.

Leave it with me! Working on it as we speak - on hold to the city council

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Riki_road

Dont have advise for you but it would be nice to be able to get a sao paulan hot dog on the way home so hope it works out for you :)

• Advertisement

Think this guy is joking we will be using roadkill

Far from it. Good quality meat only

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

What??

German friend of mine wanted to do the same thing as your friend last year

• Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Wasn't there serious trouble on Lesson Street years ago over hamburger stand 'rights'? Someone was shot; the General may have been involved.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

https://www.maverickhouse.com/books/the-general-and-i/

I thought of that too on first reading the thread. The author was shot in the leg according to an old Indo article.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Council entirely stopped night-time pitches after that as far as I know.

I vaguely remember there being hamburger carts on Harcourt Street in the mid 00s but they would scarper at the sight of blue lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

If this was in the UK, it would take a week or so. No chance of it happening in Ireland it's so backwards.

RasTa wrote: »
    If this was in the UK, it would take a week or so. No chance of it happening in Ireland it's so backwards.

Never miss a trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Never miss a trick.

Never.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-80031541.html

Buy this house for 75k(325k for same in stoneybatter) move over set up hot dog business and retire.

so so easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,466 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

L1011 wrote: »
    Council entirely stopped night-time pitches after that as far as I know.

I vaguely remember there being hamburger carts on Harcourt Street in the mid 00s but they would scarper at the sight of blue lights.

But there's a Garda station on that st so would always have blue lights?

What about Sheas hotdog and burger van that turns up on Wexford St every weekend night?

• Advertisement

RasTa wrote: »
    Never.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-80031541.html

Buy this house for 75k(325k for same in stoneybatter) move over set up hot dog business and retire.

so so easy.

It’s in England though. You’d want to be given the 75k.

Anyway, the OP wants to set up one in Dublin.

Advertisement