Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seville Marathon 23.2.2020

Options
  • 17-09-2019 8:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭

http://www.zurichmaratonsevilla.es/

Anyone else considering it for next year, gets great reviews and the flattest marathon in Europe allegedly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Whilst I like running over the festive season, I don't think I could stretch to Marathon training :)

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

OOnegative wrote: »
    http://www.zurichmaratonsevilla.es/

Anyone else considering it for next year, gets great reviews and the flattest marathon in Europe allegedly.

I ran the marathon in 2018. Planning to do the half marathon in January. Great city, well organised race. Route is flat, however I think the route changed last year.

I believe Duanington ran the new route so he probably has more info on that. The only real negative I had on the route I did was that the last few miles went through the old town which had hard marble type tiles rather than tarmac. Tough on tired legs. Lots of water stations and a very good standard of runner in the race, so lots of nice groups to attach to.

Ryanair fly direct from Dublin. I got reasonable fare for travel Fri-Mon, and accommodation pretty cheap for the half weekend.

The race started at 0830 in 2018, the temps ranged from 11-16 degrees with a bit of cloud cover. I believe the weather got a bit warmer this year.

I would give Seville the thumbs up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

healy1835 wrote: »
    Whilst I like running over the festive season, I don't think I could stretch to Marathon training :)

My missus obviously just wants me out of the house so!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

My missus obviously just wants me out of the house so!!!

:D:D Starting a block after the Christmas is perfect, keeps you relatively discplined over the couple of weeks. I couldn't handle being 8 weeks out from a Marathon, guilt tripping about Guinness & Mince Pies ;) . Early April, Rotterdam timing, is just perfect I reckon. Seville looks class though....

healy1835 wrote: »
    :D:D Starting a block after the Christmas is perfect, keeps you relatively discplined over the couple of weeks. I couldn't handle being 8 weeks out from a Marathon, guilt tripping about Guinness & Mince Pies ;) . Early April, Rotterdam timing, is just perfect I reckon. Seville looks class though....

No interest in a Rotterdam, it’s only down the road sure!!!

• Advertisement

See a few more interested in this, training plan starts next week. Not exactly great weeks running leading into it though, one run of 9 miles where I managed to gimp my back in some way!!! Can only get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

In

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭ISOP

Hoping to get under 3:45 here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

See a few more interested in this, training plan starts next week. Not exactly great weeks running leading into it though, one run of 9 miles where I managed to gimp my back in some way!!! Can only get better.

You aiming for sub 3 in this, lad? (Make me an offer as pacer.......)

Itziger wrote: »
    You aiming for sub 3 in this, lad? (Make me an offer as pacer.......)

That’s the hope D anyway, be delighted if you could pace me!!

• Advertisement

That’s the hope D anyway, be delighted if you could pace me!!

Didn't you do 1.22 or 23 in that recent Half? Mind me asking what the Full best is? You should be well placed for the sub 3 although training through Jan/Feb doesn't fill me with joy.

Itziger wrote: »
    Didn't you do 1.22 or 23 in that recent Half? Mind me asking what the Full best is? You should be well placed for the sub 3 although training through Jan/Feb doesn't fill me with joy.

Yeah a 1.22 at end of October in Amsterdam. Marathon PB is 3.15.10, it’s the distance i’m weakest at. I’ll train for sub 3 as I think I’m capable of it, will just have to wait till February to find out.

Yeah a 1.22 at end of October in Amsterdam. Marathon PB is 3.15.10, it’s the distance i’m weakest at. I’ll train for sub 3 as I think I’m capable of it, will just have to wait till February to find out.

I'm the same as far as weakness goes. My half is low 1.21 and I still struggled to a 2.59!! This Spring was High 1.21.... and converted it to a 2.57.

Once you have the training done and you a young fella, you should bring it home in Sevilla. Get the fear of it out of your head and run it controlled.

any recommendations for a venue for post race refreshments lads? I am not driving to the airport this time and will be looking for something bit stronger than diet coke

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭4Ad

O Neills, Calle Adriano..

A good post slog meet up point, easy to find.
    And they do a decent veggie nacho plate and good choice of beers

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭noelearly

Travelling from madrid to Seville, looking at the renfe train option, seen something about 30% reduction on ticket price if doing the marathon but can't see options anywhere??

Anybody any ideas

noelearly wrote: »
    Travelling from madrid to Seville, looking at the renfe train option, seen something about 30% reduction on ticket price if doing the marathon but can't see options anywhere??

Anybody any ideas

I think the 30% off thing is on full price tickets. Any time I have used Renfe, the normal ticket offers have been cheaper than the full price minus the 30%.

To get the 30% reduction I think you need a code and then apply to the "congress/ferias" prices in drop down menu. It is a really complicated site.

This is a google translate of page: https://www.zurichmaratonsevilla.es/mse-viaja-con-renfe

To make the 30% discount effective, you must go to the sub-section "check your registration" in the "Registration form" section of the official website of the Zurich Marathon in Seville, there you can get the "discount authorization", which will send you along with the proof of registration of the test to the mail that you have put in when you register for the test. This authorization must be shown in order to access the train along with the ticket.

Once you have this code in your possession, follow the indications and use it in the purchase of your ticket through Renfe .

Clarification: This promotion may be applied at the time Renfe tickets are put up for sale.

For questions about this promotion, you can contact the Attention to the broker, on the phone: 913470137 and in the email: info@zurichmaratonsevilla.es

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
    Is the 30% discount applicable to all the rates I see on the internet? NO . This promotion is not applicable in all rates, it is only applicable in the "flexible" rate.
    How can I access and buy Renfe tickets with a 30% discount? On the Renfe website: renfe.com
    What is the period in which I can access the 30% discount? The validity period of the discount for traveling to the Zurich Marathon in Seville is applicable for services from February 18 to February 25, 2020.
    HOW IS THE PROCESS TO BUY ON WEB?
    You can see the process to buy the tickets that are under this promotion, following the simple instructions that we list below:

Enter the renfe.com website
    Select the train you want by marking the Flexible Rate .
    In the drop-down list, select the Congress / Event rate.
    Enter the authorization number in the box indicating authorization number (Not valid for discount code box).

Unfortunately I’ve had to pull the plug on this, no hope of getting the time off work. Best of luck to the rest of ye, hope it goes well.

I think the 30% off thing is on full price tickets. Any time I have used Renfe, the normal ticket offers have been cheaper than the full price minus the 30%.

To get the 30% reduction I think you need a code and then apply to the "congress/ferias" prices in drop down menu. It is a really complicated site.

This is a google translate of page: https://www.zurichmaratonsevilla.es/mse-viaja-con-renfe

To make the 30% discount effective, you must go to the sub-section "check your registration" in the "Registration form" section of the official website of the Zurich Marathon in Seville, there you can get the "discount authorization", which will send you along with the proof of registration of the test to the mail that you have put in when you register for the test. This authorization must be shown in order to access the train along with the ticket.

Once you have this code in your possession, follow the indications and use it in the purchase of your ticket through Renfe .

Clarification: This promotion may be applied at the time Renfe tickets are put up for sale.

For questions about this promotion, you can contact the Attention to the broker, on the phone: 913470137 and in the email: info@zurichmaratonsevilla.es

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
    Is the 30% discount applicable to all the rates I see on the internet? NO . This promotion is not applicable in all rates, it is only applicable in the "flexible" rate.
    How can I access and buy Renfe tickets with a 30% discount? On the Renfe website: renfe.com
    What is the period in which I can access the 30% discount? The validity period of the discount for traveling to the Zurich Marathon in Seville is applicable for services from February 18 to February 25, 2020.
    HOW IS THE PROCESS TO BUY ON WEB?
    You can see the process to buy the tickets that are under this promotion, following the simple instructions that we list below:

Enter the renfe.com website
    Select the train you want by marking the Flexible Rate .
    In the drop-down list, select the Congress / Event rate.
    Enter the authorization number in the box indicating authorization number (Not valid for discount code box).

Christ that's complicated ill forget about that.

Advice please, how do I cancel my entry and claim refund. I paid entry insurance at registration.

• Advertisement

Advice please, how do I cancel my entry and claim refund. I paid entry insurance at registration.

Can't help you for sure, but i imagine it's a case of e-mail them and take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭event

Gonna look at this for 2021, like the look of it

Can't believe its nearly time for this.. Signed up for it St Stephens Day so haven't had the big build up, training has been stop/Start. Bulk of it has been doubles 4 or 5 before work and same after.

How's everyone fixed?

A very good 3 months of solid training done, bar 1 week before Christmas where i missed 4 sessions due to flu. Hoping for a 3:44 and getting to the start line fit and healthy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭4Ad

noelearly wrote: »
    Can't believe its nearly time for this.. Signed up for it St Stephens Day so haven't had the big build up, training has been stop/Start. Bulk of it has been doubles 4 or 5 before work and same after.

How's everyone fixed?

It seems to have crept up since Christmas alright.
    A change of shift pattern has curtailed sticking to my training plan. The long runs went ok though.
    I have being layering up in preparation for the Seville heat.
    Tis only my 3rd marathon, I realise I dont like training plans, putting myself under pressure if I miss a run.

4Ad wrote: »
    It seems to have crept up since Christmas alright.
    A change of shift pattern has curtailed sticking to my training plan. The long runs went ok though.
    I have being layering up in preparation for the Seville heat.
    Tis only my 3rd marathon, I realise I dont like training plans, putting myself under pressure if I miss a run.

Hard to stick to a plan when on shift pattern, i have the same problem myself. Improvising is all part of it.

I was over in Seville a couple of times recently. A couple of recommendations.

If you like loading up on Italian grub the day before then I highly recommend:
    https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_Review-g187443-d1589992-Reviews-Osteria_L_Oca_Giuliva-Seville_Province_of_Seville_Andalucia.html

Inexpensive, high quality and central near the Cathedral.The desserts are the most expensive thing, but they are probably worth it. You definitely need to book a table. I saw lots of runners being turned away both times I have been there. I think they open from 1330 on sat afternoon.

As mentioned earlier, The Merchant is a good spot to watch sport/kill time and have a burger. Good beer selection and a better bar than O'Neills in my opinion.

If coffee is your thing, the best coffee I found was in a place called Virgin Coffee. Its very small and only for takeaway. Its near Deacathlon, so its ideal if you plan to go there to buy some cheap throwaway clothes (gloves and neck warmer for less than a fiver!). If you want seating, then Torch Roasters down by the river close to the marathon start is a very good option. Very nice pastries and I think they do brunch as well.

Bus from the Airport to Seville is 4 euro. There is an app for public transport. Google Tussam. The App is not very good but it does the job.

Its a great city, enjoy!

I was over in Seville a couple of times recently. A couple of recommendations.

If you like loading up on Italian grub the day before then I highly recommend:
    https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_Review-g187443-d1589992-Reviews-Osteria_L_Oca_Giuliva-Seville_Province_of_Seville_Andalucia.html

Inexpensive, high quality and central near the Cathedral.The desserts are the most expensive thing, but they are probably worth it. You definitely need to book a table. I saw lots of runners being turned away both times I have been there. I think they open from 1330 on sat afternoon.

As mentioned earlier, The Merchant is a good spot to watch sport/kill time and have a burger. Good beer selection and a better bar than O'Neills in my opinion.

If coffee is your thing, the best coffee I found was in a place called Virgin Coffee. Its very small and only for takeaway. Its near Deacathlon, so its ideal if you plan to go there to buy some cheap throwaway clothes (gloves and neck warmer for less than a fiver!). If you want seating, then Torch Roasters down by the river close to the marathon start is a very good option. Very nice pastries and I think they do brunch as well.

Bus from the Airport to Seville is 4 euro. There is an app for public transport. Google Tussam. The App is not very good but it does the job.

Its a great city, enjoy!

Excellent cheers for that. The expo seems to be a bit far out of town, but everything else seems fairly central.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Training for a February marathon really make January shorter. Weather for most part was very kind. Training block was consistent. Missed one or two days here and there but I would say I have made 90% of my planned runs.

A pb last week in Dungarvan was a nice bonus.

Last long run tomorrow and into taper on Monday. Flying out Friday and back Monday.

As someone said to me before Dublin I am at a stage now where the only thing I can do now is f**k it up.

• Advertisement

Training for a February marathon really make January shorter. Weather for most part was very kind. Training block was consistent. Missed one or two days here and there but I would say I have made 90% of my planned runs.

A pb last week in Dungarvan was a nice bonus.

Last long run tomorrow and into taper on Monday. Flying out Friday and back Monday.

As someone said to me before Dublin I am at a stage now where the only thing I can do now is f**k it up.

You flying direct?? Made the mistake of flying to Madrid and connecting to Seville so hopefully that goes good. Haven't left much leeway between connecting flights so i might have to train it to Seville.

Advertisement