Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

How regularly updated is the Siro website as regards availability? I'm guessing not very.

We've had people in from TLI working on behalf of Siro last month in our estate and from talking to them the last time their work is completely finished now. I've also now ordered with Digiweb who have given me an installation date next week.

Our estate was to be handed over to the ISPs for orders by Siro yesterday, obviously that's been done otherwise I wouldn't have gotten an installation date from Digiweb.

However the Siro website still says "Not Yet Available" for my eircode, and Airwire's checker (the go to checker here) hasn't been updated in over 2 months now for Siro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

Having a bad experience with Vodafone, landline still not ported over and the SIRO access point location in the house is causing major hassle. If I go back to vodafone and cancel my contract, what happens to the SIRO access point ?

Do the lads come back and take away the cable and the boxes the put in ?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

jogdish wrote: »
    If I go back to vodafone and cancel my contract, what happens to the SIRO access point ?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Having a bad experience with Vodafone, landline still not ported over and the SIRO access point location in the house is causing major hassle. If I go back to vodafone and cancel my contract, what happens to the SIRO access point ?

Jogdish

As oscarBravo mentions no. The only item you will have to return is the router Vodafone sent you when you signed up. Once you do this they will close the account and remove the ONT in your home from their system (the ONT and cable installed belong to SIRO not an ISP). Once you move to another ISP they will liaise with SIRO, send you their router and when you plug it in it should reconnect to the network. As for the phone add on it could take a day or two to port.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 abberr7

I see plenty of posts with settings to use own router with vodafone siro. Is there one for Sky Siro ? (want to use my won router, broadband only - no phone or tv).

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

Probably should have asked this before I had my issues (above)

Is it possible to use my own router with SIRO & landline, for example my current router has no port for a phone cable, and since SIRO is voip, I have no idea how 'plug and play' i could expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 abberr7

Probably should have asked this before I had my issues (above)

Is it possible to use my own router with SIRO & landline, for example my current router has no port for a phone cable, and since SIRO is voip, I have no idea how 'plug and play' i could expect.

if you search Vodafone Siro router settings .. tons of posts everywhere how to set it up, might not work with the phone (or in my case Vodafone TV would not work). Thats why I'm going with broadband only now, but can't find Sky Siro router serttings anywhere

z0oT wrote: »
    How regularly updated is the Siro website as regards availability? I'm guessing not very.
    To answer my own question, the Siro website is now showing Siro is available at all of the new houses in my square, and I've also now gotten an email saying it's live.

It was about 2 days after it actually went live to when the website showed it as live for me.

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

Hi. we've updated our product checkers with new Siro premises available to order nationwide :)

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database on our availability checker today.

South Dublin - over 400 new premises
    Ennis - 90 new premises
    Galway - 3621 new premises
    Limerick - 367 new premises
    Portlaoise - 49 new premises

Also Athlone and Sligo got a few new ones added.

On SIRO, we currently cover Athlone, Clarecastle, Ennis, Galway, Limerick, Oranmore, Portlaoise, Shannon, Sixmilebridge, Sligo and South Dublin.

The availability checker can be found here: https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭20/20

I feel your pain I am in the exact same position. After about two months the line is still not ported over. I rely need the landline for my mother who is 80 with bad dementia. Personally I didnt care about the landline to much at the time but now realise her friends are starting to think something has happened to her as they have no way to make contact. (Her mobile number has also been lost when I canceled Eir)

Anyway yesterday I was talking to Vodafone again who told me I would have to pay to remaining months of the contract if I cancel. They are trying to say maybe the UAN number on the old Eir bills might be wrong, and I have to check with Eir about the UAN number.
    Eir was closed yesterday evening so I rang Eir sales instead. Unbelieveablely a very helpful person in sales explained the landline number to be ported is over 40 years old and is somehow different to the modern landline numbers in the Eir system and might explain why the UAN will not work for vodafone. Also said there is the same problem porting older numbers over to virgin. They took my details and will try to get someone to explain to me on Monday what I have to get vodafone to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

A bit late now for you, but I was advised to port the phone first (as it was a 1980's install) and the broadband after that was successful.

Both used the same UAN but it was possible to move the phone leaving the BB undisturbed.

They were both moved within a couple of days of each other, successfully, by Airwire.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

A bit late now for you, but I was advised to port the phone first (as it was a 1980's install) and the broadband after that was successful.

Both used the same UAN but it was possible to move the phone leaving the BB undisturbed.

They were both moved within a couple of days of each other, successfully, by Airwire.

That process existed to ensure, that we would not loose the phone number. It has changed a bit since then.

We now port the broadband first and the customer will have outbound calls available the second, the broadband is ported. It takes 2 further work days to get the phone number ported over (generally) for inbound calls.

The reason we changed it, is that we now can guarantee, that we won't loose the number. We can actually recover the number, if it accidently was cancelled, as long as it's no more than a few weeks, since it happened and if a recent invoice for the phone service is available. Something we require anyhow for every phone number, that we port.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Whats the current turnaround time for order to installation? Is it still a half day timeslot?

TheDriver wrote: »
    Whats the current turnaround time for order to installation? Is it still a half day timeslot?

Depends on the area and whether or not connection is overhead or underground. In general underground are quite quick at the moment.

Digiweb wrote: »
    Depends on the area and whether or not connection is overhead or underground. In general underground are quite quick at the moment.

Apologies, I should have mentioned regular underground estate, neighbours already have siro.

TheDriver wrote: »
    Apologies, I should have mentioned regular underground estate, neighbours already have siro.

In general appointments available within 5 days at the moment for underground. If your really stuck normally some cancellation appointments available at short enough notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

We have updated the database on our availability checker today.
    Limerick - 367 new premises

The availability checker can be found here: https://www.airwire.ie/avail

Wohoo FTTH has been updated to available soon from not available, would you have any idea on this Martin? National BB said it would be in the first qtr of 21

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

Any update If/When Siro/FTTH or better FTTC will be available for Meadow View/Avondale Park in Dundalk ?

Currently some neighbor's can't get FTTC as no port availability however those that do have generally have max attainable of 35mbs with average of 28mbs.

There is a demand for much faster speeds especially with likes of Covid and folks working or schooling from home, I would be looking for Siro/FTTH highspeeds.

Any update If/When Siro/FTTH or better FTTC will be available for Meadow View/Avondale Park in Dundalk ?

Currently some neighbor's can't get FTTC as no port availability however those that do have generally have max attainable of 35mbs with average of 28mbs.

There is a demand for much faster speeds especially with likes of Covid and folks working or schooling from home, I would be looking for Siro/FTTH highspeeds.

Siro very unlikely as it looks like some of the electricity cables in that area are direct buried so no ducting to run the fibre through.

OpenEir are rolling out FTTH in Urban areas alongside their FTTC exchanges so this is likely best bet for this area. No specific timeframes from them yet. If you'd like you can register on our website and we then contact you when available to order

• Advertisement

I rang VF as I'm already a VDSL customer so thought the billing transition would be seamless. They wanted 55 a month for 500 for 12 months. Needless to say, I didn't bite and they didn't seem to care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

Just had KN in to install fibre but couldn't do it as there are tiles on the ground :rolleyes:

Was told the landlord will have to take up a tile. I don't see why a) a hole couldn't just be drilled in between a tile like the picture shows for the current phone termination box or b) a wire in through the wall/another point. There was no explanation at all bar just a tile has to come up. :mad:

DSC-0018.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

new to VF siro, just got connected today, went switching from VM, anyhow siro guys came over within 4 days after ordering and did cables under the patio, to run to the side of the house and today other team came over to setup vodafone gigabit box and drilled hole for siro yoke besides hallway entrance, wanted it up on second floor but was told they dont do it :cool:.

nvrmind- ran wired test came out to 900 or so, speeds seem fine so just VF UI questions.

also another question about gigabit box seems the UI is a bit dodgy, tried changing some wifi details ssid etc, and it sort of blanks out giving some incorrect details message etc, if pressing apply seems to just not accept settings.

also tried to change password on the router again seems to be acting up, then eventually says email sent to get confirmed etc but received nothing- does email have to be same one registered with VF account i wonder or could it be possible that account isnt setup fully yet ?
    as speeds on wifi seem ok given large house with few floors above and does better then VM hub 3.0 did.

as far as setup everything was done within week of order so thats good but above seems a bit off still yet, so wonder is it normal :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Very tempted to get SIRO but not interested in company drilling holes and putting a box internally in the living room when I have my switch and existing broadband MTU point at attic level. What cabling goes from ESB meter to the internal fibre modem location? I could maybe run this cable myself from beside ESB meter up to the attic.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

astrofluff wrote: »
    Very tempted to get SIRO but not interested in company drilling holes and putting a box internally in the living room when I have my switch and existing broadband MTU point at attic level. What cabling goes from ESB meter to the internal fibre modem location? I could maybe run this cable myself from beside ESB meter up to the attic.

Fibre cable comes from the ESB Meter to the ONT, not sure on the type of fibre cable used.

i wanted the same, but on the day siro came over to route it off the street to the meter wasnt home myself, so on the day of install only noticed black cable/s think its only one to be fair that prob houses 2 inside protective casing for slicing up, as with covid distancing crap wasnt much space to be looking at em doing final install but there was excess that they threw away think 1-2meters.

but once final team came to do install was told some BS about esb regulations where they can place it and it was basically opposite wall of the meter good few inches away-20min job max, before they drilled out like 1cm hole put in the cable trough and connected ONT box, also it requires power socket for itself so have to have one spare close by, as in my case 2 ones were taken by ONT and router.

as went with vodafone, and they messaged basically immediately that there will be engineer coming out, who never showed up, then prob if didnt miss the siro guys doing routing from the street could of gotten better answer or even done it on the spot to go where i would of wanted it.as realistically few clips and ladder to extend it to different spot with enough cable routed off the street to make proper install.

since issue is once final team finished install whatever was left of the black fiber cable they just threw it away, so imagine once terminated it would be hard to extend it in any way :cool:

You could ask them to run the fibre cable up the wall vertically on the outside from the ESD meter and into the attic via a Soffit if that's an option?

You might run into issues since they may want easy access to the ONT in the event of a fault, something which you don't really get in an attic.

I requested the ONT be put in my home office which is where the main switch I have powering the whole house is. It involved running the fibre cable out of the ESB meter, about 2m vertically up the outside wall and then going through the wall there instead. The guys from TLI did it for me no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

z0oT wrote: »
    You could ask them to run the fibre cable up the wall vertically on the outside from the ESD meter and into the attic via a Soffit if that's an option?

You might run into issues since they may want easy access to the ONT in the event of a fault, something which you don't really get in an attic.

I requested the ONT be put in my home office which is where the main switch I have powering the whole house is. It involved running the fibre cable out of the ESB meter, about 2m vertically up the outside wall and then going through the wall there instead. The guys from TLI did it for me no problem.

Wish I thought of this at time of the install!, i would of prefered in the attic as have power sockets and attic floored. my issue the ONT is in the sitting room and like network stuff up in attic to centralize stuff. any know of service to get the install changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

I have an installer coming on Thursday. I'm hoping to route the cable under cobbles around the house to where I want the modem to live. I'm happy to deal with the cobbles myself but will the installer have conduit suitable or do I need to do that too?

Have called them, they haven't a clue on the phones and don't know who could tell me....

• Advertisement

elusiveguy wrote: »
    I have an installer coming on Thursday. I'm hoping to route the cable under cobbles around the house to where I want the modem to live. I'm happy to deal with the cobbles myself but will the installer have conduit suitable or do I need to do that too?

Have called them, they haven't a clue on the phones and don't know who could tell me....
    well in my case ive missed the installers that ducted fiber underground to meter, guess if i was home and told them where i wanted it, fckit even had ladder if need be, they would prob rolled it out enough to place where i wanted it hooked up, as they came over without any notification and whoever was at house they said they will only need access to meter box - if you can catch em on time when they arrive id say good chance they would route to wherever it would be possible.

as final engineers that came over drilled a hole and pushed cable trough and hooked onto ONT box, so imagine if cable already been setup for say upstairs room they would of had to place it there, as they had the ladder and all aside couple clips to nail in its really few minutes extra work in fairness, if it was hooked up to whatever location in the first place.

but info on siro site is a bit conflicting it does mention install being done as close as possible to meter box, and it mentions one could choose where to connect OPN/AP, but then moves to businesses will have engineer to help out to decide where its best suited :confused:

so id say watch out for the main guys in day or two, or tell someone at the house your plan if your not around as they can come anytime, and see how it goes, as in cases where its connected its already measured lenght, so like other poster who asked about relocating seems it they would need to go trough their ISP and they would need to get engineers to roll out new longer set of cable to relocate it.

Advertisement