Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note in OP 9/4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,738 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

RasTa wrote: »
    By me? Most of his posts in here today have being regarding United. I don't think he is able to form a sentence without comparing it to Manchester United

What's your opinion on Utd fans that do the same thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

As bizarre as telling us all that Can was a carbon copy of Nuri Sahin?

Ah sure they are both German Turks, they must have the same sort of game.. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

MD1990 wrote: »
    I'm replying to the Man U stalkers ffs. Wooney started this as usual not my fault he keeps replying despite making a fool of himself. have a look at my posts before Wooney starts trolling barely mentioned Utd.
    By me? Most of his posts in here today have being regarding United. I don't think he is able to form a sentence without comparing it to Manchester United
    0028673 wrote: »
    When are United getting presented with the 4th place Trophy?

Season finished on 22 March :cool:
    AdamD wrote: »
    They must be a classy bunch
    So Wooney made a fool himself. Nothing new there but it will keep him out of the Liverpool thread for a few days at least.

A selection of posts. There are others.

Gentlemen, this is the Liverpool FC Superthread. You do not have to be a Liverpool fan to post, but if you do not wish to post about Liverpool and would rather wind up the regulars, do not post here. This thread is not to discuss who posters support or who you are arguing with supports.

Posts will be deleted, carded if necessary and the thread will be cleaned up at the first opportunity.

It may be considered a deliberate breach of charter from this point on to post similar to the above and an immediate ban. Fans of other clubs who refuse to comply may, in addition, be asked to stay out of this thread for a longer period of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Our poor left back is better than your poor left back :pac:

Neither are poor and I hate that word around here but I'd definitely rather have Shaw. You must not have learned from Fellaini that writing off a player early on can make you look foolish. I certainly learned from Henderson.

Liam O wrote: »
    Neither are poor and I hate that word around here but I'd definitely rather have Shaw. You must not have learned from Fellaini that writing off a player early on can make you look foolish. I certainly learned from Henderson.

Poor so far is probably the better term

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,895 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Will Rodgers use this Sterling drama to go to FSG and say it's now time to pay marquee names marquee wages if the club wants to move to the next level?

If we could bring in 3/4 marquee names in the summer to go with what we have at the moment might just get us to the next level.

We need 2 CL level midfielders & 1 CL level striker along with 1 PL striker to go with a PL level keeper & defender.

6 players with probably a combined weekly wage close to £750k a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,895 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

5starpool wrote: »

We could be looking for a striker in the summer :pac: just saying :P

capture-20150403-124625.png

What's Ian Ayre getting paid these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

MR NINE wrote: »
    To be fair he probably is better than denis irwin. Denis irwin was over rated and never conributed much. Manquillo was instrumental last season when things were going well

Never contributed much??

Dumb,dumb,dumb

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

What's Ian Ayre getting paid these days?

Did you hear a rumour a few weeks ago that Ayre will be leaving in the summer?

Can't remember where I read it...think it might have been Andy Heaton but not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

You must not have learned from Fellaini that writing off a player early on can make you look foolish. I certainly learned from Henderson.

I always knew Fellini would prove his worth, but a lot of United fans didn't afford him the same patience. Glad to see he's proving them wrong.

Did you hear a rumour a few weeks ago that Ayre will be leaving in the summer?

Can't remember where I read it...think it might have been Andy Heaton but not sure.

Ayre today, gone tomorrow.

run.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I wouldn't read too much into the bibs, after all it was just one session and its unlikely they are going to give Arsenal 2 days head-start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,580 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Personally i would happily seen hendo F'd out after his first year but boy has he grown into the role . Not a coincidence that our title charge derailed when victory moses sold hom that short pass. Anyway i sense a pool win tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

MR NINE wrote: »
    To be fair he probably is better than denis irwin. Denis irwin was over rated and never conributed much. Manquillo was instrumental last season when things were going well

Denis Irwin never contributed much? Seriously?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

This thread needs to come with a Whoooooooooooooooooosh! warning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Pretty much on the money. http://www.sportlobster.com/news/87118/raheem-sterling-view-from-the-outside.html

Don't agree with the win win bit, at Sterling's age and given his track record of moving from QPR to LFC I wouldn't just assume we could sell him like a piece of meat to the highest bidder against his will as he could quite easily run down his contact and leave for more or less nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,435 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

__________Minger________

_______Kolo___Sacko________
    Johnson____________Moreno__

______Can__Henderson_____

___Ibe______________Sterling_
    _________Coutinho____________

__________Sturridge_____

Kill em that way tomorrow. Coutinho Drops into midfield without ball.
    Ibe and Sterling free to attack, Moreno Johnson sitting /
    4-5-1 without ball
    4-3-3 with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Its a pity that Jamie isn't at the club anymore.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jamie-carragher-slams-raheem-sterling-8980223

"So it’s Liverpool’s fault, then, for their timing ‘being off’? I’m sorry but that’s just nonsense. At this stage of last season, Sterling and Liverpool were on fire, with Brendan Rodgers calling him the ‘best young player in Europe’. No doubt that line has been used in negotiations. "Crucially, his contract still had more than three years to run. Very rarely do clubs rip up a player’s terms with that length of time on their deal - never mind one as young as Sterling - to give them a big pay rise. You don’t normally get rewarded after a few good months with that long left.
    "As for talking about the Champions League and winning trophies, the implication is that Liverpool are struggling to do that but, already, he has challenged for the title last season and the FA Cup this season. That’s your job as a Liverpool player: to deliver big targets and meet expectations. If you can’t do that, why should you get extra money?
    "After we won the Champions League in 2005, I signed a new contract but it was still incentivised. So why can’t Sterling sign a contract with incentives in? If he wins trophies and is successful, he will get the money he wants."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Its a pity that Jamie isn't at the club anymore.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jamie-carragher-slams-raheem-sterling-8980223

"So it’s Liverpool’s fault, then, for their timing ‘being off’? I’m sorry but that’s just nonsense. At this stage of last season, Sterling and Liverpool were on fire, with Brendan Rodgers calling him the ‘best young player in Europe’. No doubt that line has been used in negotiations. "Crucially, his contract still had more than three years to run. Very rarely do clubs rip up a player’s terms with that length of time on their deal - never mind one as young as Sterling - to give them a big pay rise. You don’t normally get rewarded after a few good months with that long left.
    "As for talking about the Champions League and winning trophies, the implication is that Liverpool are struggling to do that but, already, he has challenged for the title last season and the FA Cup this season. That’s your job as a Liverpool player: to deliver big targets and meet expectations. If you can’t do that, why should you get extra money?
    "After we won the Champions League in 2005, I signed a new contract but it was still incentivised. So why can’t Sterling sign a contract with incentives in? If he wins trophies and is successful, he will get the money he wants."

"Rodgers once said to me, when talking about his time at Chelsea, that young players were ‘being paid to fail’, meaning massive salaries diluted their hunger. Liverpool don’t want Sterling to lose his enthusiasm and that’s why his pay should be incentivised.

"There is, however, a school of thought among some Liverpudlians that says: ‘Give him what he wants, or someone else will.’ They worry it shows a lack of ambition.

"My problem with that is how does Philippe Coutinho, who has been as good as Sterling, feel being on less than half his money?

"The other thing is that, if he stays, Liverpool will be in this position again in two years. If he asks for £250,000 per week then, what happens?

"Liverpool and Rodgers are what Sterling needs at this stage of his career. He should realise this. And there is one change I would recommend he makes this summer - and it is not his football club."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

gafferino wrote: »
    "The other thing is that, if he stays, Liverpool will be in this position again in two years. If he asks for £250,000 per week then, what happens?

That's a fairly illogical statement from him to be honest. It doesn't make sense.

The player wont ask for 250k a week because he knows he wont get it at Liverpool and he knows he wont get it elsewhere. That's the difference in the situation. Sterling will get his 150k at Chelsea or City. So that's why he's demanding it from Liverpool. The only chance he's getting 250k from anybody in 2 years time is if he turns into Messi.....in which case Liverpool cant keep him anyway.

Its a spurious argument, however I've come to expect that from Carragher. He just cant be impartial about Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Carragher isn't biased at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I honestly don't think he'd get £150k a week at Chelsea or Arsenal. United or City maybe. Only way he'd get over 150k a week at either Arsenal or Chelsea is if he ran down his contract and signed on a free.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Carragher isn't biased at all.

Well I've very little problem with that. He was a player then, he's entitled to "big up" his club.

But he's a pundit now, he needs to start examining situations like the Sterling contract one with a bit more realism and nous and not just see every situation with his Liverpool hat on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,878 ✭✭✭✭klose

BenEadir wrote: »
    Pretty much on the money. http://www.sportlobster.com/news/87118/raheem-sterling-view-from-the-outside.html

Don't agree with the win win bit, at Sterling's age and given his track record of moving from QPR to LFC I wouldn't just assume we could sell him like a piece of meat to the highest bidder against his will as he could quite easily run down his contact and leave for more or less nothing.

In which case the club could easily just ban him from the first team like Chelsea did with malouda a few years back. Now that's obviously the extremist of the extreme ways of going about things but the club has a fair amount of power left in proceedings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

BenEadir wrote: »

'He's not good enough to get into Real or Barca's team and everything else is a move sideways'

Really?

And besides that, it's awful analysis. Spends the whole article saying how it's either ambition or finances. Blindingly obvious tbh.

Then provides the amazing insight of it being win-win without attempting to argue which leaves Liverpool in a better position.

Awful punditry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

There isn't a higher level that Sterling would be a guaranteed starter than at Liverpool.

Yes he has unlimited potential but at 20 he still has to reach that potential.

For the price Liverpool want and the 2 years left on his contract it will make any deal very unlikely, I think only city could and would but still very unlikely. Sterling is being a very silly boy imo, do the radio interviews next year and push for a move if he really wants one, not even Suarez got his move when he wanted it and Suarez was many classes above Sterling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Him and Berahino both share an agent, don't think a coincidence you hear similar stories about both wanting to move

Oranage2 wrote: »
    There isn't a higher level that Sterling would be a guaranteed starter than at Liverpool.

Not quite true. There are 32 different clubs in the champions league every year and about half of them are regulars. i.e they qualify most years. Are you telling me there isn't a top club anywhere in Europe that he wouldn't start in? The world exists outside of England. Even discounting the Russian clubs, for obvious reasons, that's still a lot of options.

And I'm still not convinced City or Chelsea wouldn't take him. Sure if Walcott goes, Arsenal could take him. Sterling's comments certainly don't rule them out by any means.

Kirby wrote: »
    Not quite true. There are 32 different clubs in the champions league every year and about half of them are regulars. i.e they qualify most years. Are you telling me there isn't a top club anywhere in Europe that he wouldn't start in? The world exists outside of England. Even discounting the Russian clubs, for obvious reasons, that's still a lot of options.

And I'm still not convinced City or Chelsea wouldn't take him. Sure if Walcott goes, Arsenal could take him. Sterling's comments certainly don't rule them out by any means.

He said its about trophies so in reality Arsenal is ruled out.

However, I don't tend to believe what footballers say so a large dose of salt is required when listening to them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

The trophies line is a ball of crap really it's all about the $$$ and they just spin the trophies line to appease the fans

However, I don't tend to believe what footballers say so a large dose of salt is required when listening to them

It doesn't matter what he said. Nobody is actually going to take that at face value, are they? It's about money. Exposure and fame come in second. Other considerations matter but they are down the list.

Besides, even if he was telling the truth about it only being about winning things, Arsenal did win a trophy last year and they are a team on the up after a decade of mediocrity. The stadiums paid for now, they have started to throw the money around. And Liverpool fans might throw a hissy fit at the suggestion, but they are a step up from Liverpool. Arsenal are in the champions league ever year. Liverpool aren't. And that's just a fact.

It doesn't matter what he said. Nobody is actually going to take that at face value, are they? It's about money. Exposure and fame come in second. Other considerations matter but they are down the list.

Besides, even if he was telling the truth about it only being about winning things, Arsenal did win a trophy last year and they are a team on the up after a decade of mediocrity. The stadiums paid for now, they have started to throw the money around. And Liverpool fans might throw a hissy fit at the suggestion, but they are a step up from Liverpool. Arsenal are in the champions league ever year. Liverpool aren't. And that's just a fact.

Nobody disputes that, I don't anyway but good to see you get it off your chest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

He's not interested in winning trophies in the past. He could stay at Liverpool for that.

greendom wrote: »
    He's not interested in winning trophies in the past. He could stay at Liverpool for that.

That makes no sense. Are you saying he has access to a time machine?

Nobody disputes that, I don't anyway but good to see you get it off your chest!
    Oranage2 wrote: »

As you can see, some people clearly do dispute it. Oranage's post was like, three above yours. It's not like you had to search hard for a dissenting opinion. :P

As you can see, some people clearly do dispute it. Oranage's post was like, three above yours. It's not like you had to search hard for a dissenting opinion. :P

Meh, it's Oranage. We know the crack with him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Didn't Suarez say the same thing about trophies when trying to get a move to Arsenal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,033 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Team on the up. They are having the exact same season that they do every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Well I've very little problem with that. He was a player then, he's entitled to "big up" his club.

But he's a pundit now, he needs to start examining situations like the Sterling contract one with a bit more realism and nous and not just see every situation with his Liverpool hat on.

Some ex-players that work in media, not just ex-LFC players, will always remain true to their club no matter what the professional implications of not being seen as "neutral" entails. They will always want to see the club doing the best possible deal in any transaction it makes, and that would include high-profile transfers or deal re-negotiations.

Ask Phil Thompson to be "neutral" and to take a lofty high-level opinion on the Sterling contract negotiation and see what his response is. And I wouldn't want him or Carra to be any other way.

Speak of the devil, here's another neutral ex-player's thoughts :)
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/article31117385.ece

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Im hoping as acc. to the Bib theory that Toure stats ahead of Lovren. Toure still has decent pace & Welbeck or Sanchez will be a big threat down the left. We need Markovic(if starting) & Moreno to perform on the wings.
    I would start Manquillo at RWB though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,737 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Didn't Suarez say the same thing about trophies when trying to get a move to Arsenal?

If you were to gauge which club is more likely to win trophies in the future you'd say Arsenal

If you were to gauge which club is more likely to win trophies in the future you'd say Arsenal

How far into the future are we talking?

10 years
    100 years
    1000 years?

Fair play to anyone that can make such predictions

We'll probably need Raheems time machine again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

10 years
    100 years
    1000 years?

Your forgetting all the Top 4 trophies Arsenal have won

10258110_1032991826741033_2811040033223241173_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

He did and the funny thing is he ended up a club that will win trophies.

• Advertisement

Fair play to anyone that can make such predictions. We'll probably need Raheems time machine again

It's called common sense. You don't need a time machine or a crystal ball that to see Chelsea were going to have a good year and the promoted teams would struggle.

Arsenal have a modern, large capacity stadium built and paid for. Many of their rivals do not. Spurs do not. Liverpool don't either. Nor Chelsea. It stands to reason that they have more money to spend now than before and their signings over the past two seasons will indicate the trend.

As I said, common sense. Theres no need to be so obstinate about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,737 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

10 years
    100 years
    1000 years?

Well given that the topic of conversation was player's futures I'd say we are talking 5-10 years, but I thought that would be fairly obvious to anyone with half a brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Your forgetting all the Top 4 trophies Arsenal have won

10258110_1032991826741033_2811040033223241173_n.jpg

Dont worry Arsenal have a few premier league trophys aswell :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

shano_88 wrote: »
    Dont worry Arsenal have a few premier league trophys aswell :)

Ah sure all about them European trophies baby

Well given that the topic of conversation was player's futures I'd say we are talking 5-10 years, but I thought that would be fairly obvious to anyone with half a brain.

It'd probably have been obvious a decade ago too but there you go.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement