Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Informal Hill Climb TT - Ticknock Sunday 24 February

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,052 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

A weekly/monthly boards hill tt would be cool - just pick a segment on strava and a day, and let everyone go at it at their own time/pace. Results can be filtered down thru a private strava group/club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

10:41 earlier tonight.
    A nice Northerly wind would be a big help for ye on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Sunsets On Tuesday

Peterx wrote: »
    10:41 earlier tonight.
    A nice Northerly wind would be a big help for ye on Sunday

Nice one, good time! That would be nice..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'm out with times like that going up so early :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I was up in Ticknock this morning and had a go at this segment.

Just so you's know, no Grannies with shopping trolleys were knocked down.
    No sleeping Puppies were woken up
    and no mating Deer were disturbed ;)

I only got some nice hello's from the few walkers i came across who moved out of my way long before i got to them because they could hear me panting like a dog going up the hill.

Anyway, i done it in 8.11 and i'm happy with that considering it was a good solid head wind for most of the segment.
    I think i went out a bit fast but it was my first proper climbing effort since October so you always forget how to pace properly.

I was also lucky that i was recording on my IPhone as my Garmin gave me a time of 11.30 because it never registered when the segment ended until i came back through it,maybe it lost signal.
    Another one up for the Strava app over a Garmin.
    Make sure if you are doing this segment that you go all the way onto the gravel at the end,if you are using a Garmin.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2164520698/segments/54582680376

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

8'11. I've never been to ticknock, but I assume I wouldn't come close to that!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

My current record time is soooo much slower than all those being posted here :(

Dont think we can all aim to be 24th out of 1700+!!!

Are those damn speed bumps still there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

Still there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

I was up in Ticknock this morning and had a go at this segment.

Just so you's know, no Grannies with shopping trolleys were knocked down.
    No sleeping Puppies were woken up
    and no mating Deer were disturbed ;)

I only got some nice hello's from the few walkers i came across who moved out of my way long before i got to them because they could hear me panting like a dog going up the hill.

Anyway, i done it in 8.11 and i'm happy with that considering it was a good solid head wind for most of the segment.
    I think i went out a bit fast but it was my first proper climbing effort since October so you always forget how to pace properly.
    I was also lucky that i was recording on my IPhone as my Garmin gave me a time of 11.30 because it never registered when the segment ended until i came back through it,maybe it lost signal.
    Another one up for the Strava app over a Garmin.
    Make sure if you are doing this segment that you go all the way onto the gravel at the end,if you are using a Garmin.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2164520698/segments/54582680376

:eek: So thats why my times are so slow...........

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Em, yes, me too, that is why they are so slow :cool:

Id have to insist on weight category's if I was to take part in an informal TT over the weekend.

Category 1...
    Jockeys,
    Irishrover99

Category 2
    Retired jockeys,

Id have to insist on weight category's if I was to take part in an informal TT over the weekend.

Category 1...
    Jockeys,
    Irishrover99

Category 2
    Retired jockeys,

Category 3
    Just happy to make it up in February

:D
    Can we add an informal downhill event just to make things interesting...

Category 4...
    Injured retired Jockeys...

https://www.strava.com/activities/2166744726/segments/54645482078

I've uploaded the Garmin file from yesterday now and ill delete it later.
    When i got back yesterday and seen it i knew i wasn't that slow and something had to have been wrong so luckily i had my Iphone.

Category 1...
    Jockeys,
    Irishrover99

Category 2
    Retired jockeys,

39 year old near alcoholic jockey ;);)

Anyway, those whipper snappers on Sunday should beat that time of mine.

Cant imagine my time is good but I made it

Weepsie wrote: »
    Cant imagine my time is good but I made it

I went half way up earlier this morning and the wind was stronger than yesterday.
    What did you think of the climb?.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭secman

When i got back yesterday and seen it i knew i wasn't that slow and something had to have been wrong so luckily i had my Iphone.

Fastest time this year thus far :) kudos Km

• Advertisement

Im taking a break from social media...I had someone text me asking if i had passed away they had seen nothing on Strava..:D

You mean you checked and seen I was beating you uphill more like!!! ;)
    I'm liking that new category just have to split it into weight and year born...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Im taking a break from social media...I had someone text me asking if i had passed away they had seen nothing on Strava..:D

If it's not on Strava you didn't do it. :eek:

I went half way up earlier this morning and the wind was stronger than yesterday.
    What did you think of the climb?.

Having never been there I thought I was lost, then thought I'd missed the start at biking.ie and realised it was the next barrier.

First part was grand, middle bit not as good and I hated it.

Did it in 11.35, think I could knock a minute off that on a different bike. Had the commuter with dynamo so I'm going to use that as an excuse. Probably has the worst gears for hills of my bikes too.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2167079691/segments/54653291117

Did it this morning, 12:39 - there's your bottom line!!

Headwind from the south today is a killer

Checked my bike last night and the left crank was loose. Tis a megaexo stages that I just installed so probably didn't torque it enough, but thankfully it didn't happen on ticknock.

The stages itself is not working though. It was giving me mad high readings as I coasted towards rathmines too, so my ticknock struggles maybe killed it

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Hope it's not one with the plastic shim, utter trash.

Pootled up today, think 9 mins is totally possible for my spindly legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Sunsets On Tuesday

I too was up there today on the mountain bike.

I put some logs at the side of the road about where the segment starts, and I put a big line with a mount of rocks by the end on the gravel. As Irishrover said, do the last little bit (10metres) on the gravel to ensure you get a good run.

I'll be there around 8:30 and some of the guys & gals from the club will be there at that time too. Come between then and 9:30 if you'd like some encouragement!

Looking forward to it now - remember that the café won't be open at that time, that we won't be able to provide people with anything etc. etc.

Be safe, it's just for fun in the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I was just about to leave when I thought: is the heating off? It wasn't so chilly in the house last night... Quick check - 38C fever...

I'm off but have a lot of fun and suffering guys

Alek wrote: »
    I was just about to leave when I thought: is the heating off? It wasn't so chilly in the house last night... Quick check - 38C fever...

I'm off but have a lot of fun and suffering guys

The thoughts of getting out of bed on a Sunday morning for a hill climb would also give me a fever😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭g0g

Had a go earlier on just for fun and to see how I compare to "proper cyclists"! 10:52. Doesn't help having all that climbing just to get to the start of the thing!!!!

Advertisement