Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interclub Competitions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭plumber77

Go connacht and that's from everyone else in Munster too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Ronney

Rikand wrote: »
    Athlone versus nenagh in the all Ireland final of the pierce Purcell tomorrow. Athlone got through against ballyclare in a very tight encounter. The fifth match going to the 19th hole.

All conquering nenagh got through in simpler fashion winning 4&2 4&2 7&6. Be a very tough match for Athlone tomorrow

Shows its much tougher to defend your title,

Last year Nenagh showed much better form winning their first 3 semis 6&4, 7&6, 6&5 befor just getting over the line in the final with 3 5&4's

yeee ha....

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Ormondman

Ronney wrote: »
    Shows its much tougher to defend your title,

Last year Nenagh showed much better form winning their first 3 semis 6&4, 7&6, 6&5 befor just getting over the line in the final with 3 5&4's

yeee ha....
    Think Thurles won it last year, Nenagh in 2016 and Thurles in 2015, so probably a fair chance Thurles will win it in 2019!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

yeee ha....
    Si senor :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Dbu

projected 5-0 at them moment to nenagh
    Hope they enjoy their celebrations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Dbu wrote: »
    projected 5-0 at them moment to nenagh
    Hope they enjoy their celebrations

All the way through for Athlone, the matches havent started till the back 9. we are renowned strong finishers ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Dbu

All the way through for Athlone, the matches havent started till the back 9. we are renowned strong finishers ;)

I think this may be a bridge too far (even for Athlone;))

Ormondman wrote: »
    Think Thurles won it last year, Nenagh in 2016 and Thurles in 2015, so probably a fair chance Thurles will win it in 2019!

Apologies your correct, that hot bed of golf just amazes me at times..

just looking at the live scoring.. +4 after 11, +5 after 9 + 3 after 9...

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭kod12

any word on the Hermitage and
    tuam game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭paulos53

kod12 wrote: »
    tuam game?

2-1 to Hermitage from the first 3 matches.
    Game 4 is All Square after 16
    Games 5 is 2 up to Tuam after 16

https://www.golfnet.ie/guilive#/competition/1421552/teammatch/221915

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭kod12

paulos53 wrote: »
    kod12 wrote: »
    tuam game?

2-1 to Hermitage from the first 3 matches.
    Game 4 is All Square after 16
    Games 5 is 2 up to Tuam after 16

https://www.golfnet.ie/guilive#/competition/1421552/teammatch/221915
    Perfect thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭jtown

Apologies your correct, that hot bed of golf just amazes me at times..

just looking at the live scoring.. +4 after 11, +5 after 9 + 3 after 9...

Interested to see what scores are winning holes - Pity they don't go to that level of detail

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Ormondman

giphy.gif

Closer than expected alright.

What a phenomenal victory for Athenry in the Barton Shield. A club with a great youth policy. Well and truly deserved.

Dbu wrote: »
    I think this may be a bridge too far (even for Athlone;))

Looks like we left it a touch too late.

Match 1 have gotten ahead and match 3 are back to level. Need match 5 to make a strong comeback for any chance but looking like a 3-2 loss at best which is still a serious result against that opposition

And its over. Congratulations Nenagh. Champions once again :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Irishdaywalker

Well Done to Nenagh Golf Club - a very strong team by the looks of the scoreline's in the semi and the final ! 2016 & 2018 PP champions! ! Enjoy the celebrations!

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Congrats tom the Hermo. Tough game in store v Kinsale tomorrow.. Will hit the road in the morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

unusual the PP match was on a Friday... why was that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Can anyone confirm if the Paul Cutler playing for Portrush in senior cup today is the one that used to be the top ameteur in ireland??

Didn’t hear that he had given up being a pro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭pastense

Well Done to Nenagh Golf Club - a very strong team by the looks of the scoreline's in the semi and the final ! 2016 & 2018 PP champions! ! Enjoy the celebrations!
    Won’t be much of a celebration, half the team are pensioners seemingly, early night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Dormy

Fantastic win for Kinsale in Jimmy Bruen at Thurles yesterday.
    Won on 19th after a great comeback by Hermitage as they were 3 down with 3 to play an hour before that
    Hard luck to Hermitage but magnificent day for Kinsale in 1st ever appearance in All Irelands at any level
    https://www.facebook.com/golfingunionofireland/videos/2166556180266858/?comment_id=1893163184134200&notif_id=1538900173036275&notif_t=comment_mention

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭WH BONNEY

Can anyone confirm if the Paul Cutler playing for Portrush in senior cup today is the one that used to be the top ameteur in ireland??

Didn’t hear that he had given up being a pro

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/golf/geoff-lenehan-leads-portmarnock-to-20th-senior-cup-1.3654644

Its him alright.

Anyone have the list of venues for 2019 Cups and Shields?

Was talking to someone that had seen the Leinster ones but he couldn't remember any of the local clubs hosting near me.

Anyone have the list of venues for 2019 Cups and Shields?

Was talking to someone that had seen the Leinster ones but he couldn't remember any of the local clubs hosting near me.

Nothing on the site yet but the Leinster AGM is next Monday night and they are normally available at this.

Exactly wrote: »
    Nothing on the site yet but the Leinster AGM is next Monday night and they are normally available at this.

Pretty sure they only go up there when the draws are made but I know all the host venues have been decided at this stage

Pretty sure they only go up there when the draws are made but I know all the host venues have been decided at this stage

Correct. The fixture list I meant as to who was hosting what and when.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭SEORG

Pierce Purcell returns to straight Foursomes in 2019

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

SEORG wrote: »

Just saw that.. motion passed by a large majority. I thought the change of format to Greensomes last year was a good idea for PP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

HighLine wrote: »
    Just saw that.. motion passed by a large majority. I thought the change of format to Greensomes last year was a good idea for PP.

That didn't last long. Heard there were some really crazy pairings with scores to match this year. Maybe that's why.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Foursomes much better imo.

• Advertisement

Greensomes. Haha are you American. Haven't heard scotch called that in ages

I thought scotch foursomes was brilliant for PP. Straight foursomes can be incredibly penal. Surprised to see it go straight back

I thought scotch foursomes was brilliant for PP. Straight foursomes can be incredibly penal. Surprised to see it go straight back

Snap

Seve OB wrote: »
    Greensomes. Haha are you American. Haven't heard scotch called that in ages

It's the terminology the GUI give it...
    3. Format
    a) Each team shall consist of ten members and play shall be by Greensomes (also known as “Scotch
    Foursomes”) medal play or match play. Greensomes, in either form of play, is prescribed as follows:

It's the terminology the GUI give it...

Lol. Obviously none of them are members in Irish clubs :)

Seve OB wrote: »
    Lol. Obviously none of them are members in Irish clubs :)

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,275 ✭✭✭slingerz

SEORG wrote: »

The right format. Scotch was slow and some funny scores coming from it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭golfguy1

Dates and venues for Munster are on golfnet site

First round of Senior Cup will now be strokeplay in Leinster from 2019.

• Advertisement

slingerz wrote: »
    The right format. Scotch was slow and some funny scores coming from it

Yes, its much better and faster when fellas are out there shooting 100+ in qualifying.

whatever can be said about the format change, it didnt change the simplest fact that the dominant clubs were still dominant

having played this year in the PP - the scotch format certainly took the pressure off on the tee! I would slightly disagree with the pace of play argument, it does'nt really add significant time onto a round by having 2 additional tee shots on each hole (realistically).

there will certainly be more emphasis on knowing the course beforehand and setting up a strategy on who tee's off on certain holes.

Think the driver will be taken out of the bag next year :)

I played in a match this year, where myself and my partner where solid off the tee, and our opponents where all over the place, one guy would top it and the next would get it away - and they would end up halving / winning holes from nowhere, was very frustrating and I believe if it was straight foursomes we may have won our match (if's and but's) - our team won the match anyway so it did'nt matter in the end!

More nerves anyway for 2019! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭Russman

Exactly wrote: »
    First round of Senior Cup will now be strokeplay in Leinster from 2019.

Seems odd, wonder what the logic is behind going to strokeplay ? A way of ensuring the "best" teams don't come a cropper in matchplay against an underdog ?

Russman wrote: »
    Seems odd, wonder what the logic is behind going to strokeplay ? A way of ensuring the "best" teams don't come a cropper in matchplay against an underdog ?

Back in the day most if not all of the competitions played at a neutral venue were matchplay. One by one they have changed with the Senior Cup the last one to move to strokeplay qualifying.

The 'Official' reason given is they Clubs don't have to give up their course for the whole weekend. It frees up more time for members this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

it does'nt really add significant time onto a round by having 2 additional tee shots on each hole (realistically).

It wasn't so much the two tee shots being taken that slowed it up. It was the discussion over which ball to use for the second shot that slowed things up. I was only a spectator but it was way slower than straight foursomes with long conversations taking place over whether to use the ball on the one side of the fairway or the other etc

Ah yeah, I get ya' added with that the potential to be rooting around for balls in the rough, trees etc.

new format might actually put some players off playing as well, It's a completely different ball game when your drive HAS to count!

• Advertisement

Back in the day most if not all of the competitions played at a neutral venue were matchplay. One by one they have changed with the Senior Cup the last one to move to strokeplay qualifying.

The 'Official' reason given is they Clubs don't have to give up their course for the whole weekend. It frees up more time for members this way.

That makes no sense. PP & Bruen basically take over for the weekend with the strokeplay qualify. Possibly less so on the Sunday when it is down to the last 4 for matchplay part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

Does anyone know the venue for the Pierce Purcell regional qualifiers for Leinster, or when will they be published?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

JIdontknow wrote: »
    Does anyone know the venue for the Pierce Purcell regional qualifiers for Leinster, or when will they be published?

Off the Provisional List Circulated at the Annual meeting last week.

Bellewstown, Old Conna, Abbeyleix, Castle Barna, Coollattin, Charlesland, Castlewarden, Beaverstown.

I would not think this is the complete list though.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Leinster fixtures are on the GUI website today.

• Advertisement
Advertisement