Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interclub Competitions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Sultan_of_Ping

Played in the PP at weekend at Balbriggan and the course was in excellent condition (see below). The condition was all the more remarkable considering that about six weeks ago, there was placing everywhere, the greens were heavily sanded and there seemed to be drainage issues on more than a few fairways......such was the transformation that it was difficult to believe it was the same course.

We qualified for the semi but lost out on a place in the final. Two super days of golf and a brilliant experience. I think Greenore won through from Balbriggan with the final point coming on the 20th hole of the last match!! - I'll bet those guys slept well last night.

As for juniors in the team - I'd be all for it! They might bring some maturity to some of the teams ;)

The two lads we played with on Saturday were completely sound - 2 holes in and it felt like a regular, Saturday morning round, which made it all the more enjoyable and helped with the scoring.

Some of the stuff on Sunday, though, was a bit beyond the Pale...... a couple of lads roaring like they'd sunk a 40-footer to win the Ryder Cup, someone referring to another club's players as a "pair of cnuts" as they where heading to the first tee - not directed at them, but spoken loud enough for them (and anyone within earshot) to hear......and I have finally now realised how I'm going to make my fortune......selling hayfever and cold medicines in certain localities, because judging by some of the coughing, sniffing and sneezing fits yesterday there's a truckload of cash to be made.

I know matchplay is, and can be, very tactical, but it seemed like some players are more interested in playing, or trying to play, juvenile mind games, rather than playing golf - there was one crowd yesterday and if they put as much effort into their golf as they did into acting the maggot they'd win the thing outright.

It was only a small number of players on a very few teams but their behaviour was all the more ridiculous because given the course and the weather there was no way it could have been anything other than a great weekend of golf.

So despite their muppetry, it proved to be a great couple of days and Balbriggan's hospitality (and Leinster Golf's organisation) was top drawer.

450708.JPG

450707.JPG

450706.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

Your equating Senior/Barton, where the % of a club eligible or indeed capable of playing at such a level is particularly low to Jimmy Bruen where the % of a club eligible would be far greater. If you are capable of taking part in such elite competitions and you are under 16 years of age then you are most likely to be a golfer of international standard.

At the weekend it was Jimmy Bruen which would have a substantially higher % of club members both eligible and capable of playing at that level.

The Jimmy Bruen should encourage these members to take part in a team environment within their golf club. It would enhance their experience as part of the club and encourage new members to join/take part.

The Juniors taking part have the ability to play interclub competitions against their peers in the form of the Fred Daly there is no discouraging them from playing the game as they are already facilitated.

Juniors are already ineligible to partake in Pierce Purcell, do you believe that to be discouraging Juniors?[/quote]

I do think Purcell should be changed aswell to allow juniors play.
    You can't base rules on percentage of players eligable.
    You either allow juniors play in all or none.
    I understand juniors have junior events but seniors have over 50s events I can't play in.
    Why are u allowing the seniors play interclub events but not juniors.

At a time when clubs are trying to promote younger people to join I just think your view is hugely outdated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

golfguy1 wrote: »
    Your equating Senior/Barton, where the % of a club eligible or indeed capable of playing at such a level is particularly low to Jimmy Bruen where the % of a club eligible would be far greater. If you are capable of taking part in such elite competitions and you are under 16 years of age then you are most likely to be a golfer of international standard.

At the weekend it was Jimmy Bruen which would have a substantially higher % of club members both eligible and capable of playing at that level.

The Jimmy Bruen should encourage these members to take part in a team environment within their golf club. It would enhance their experience as part of the club and encourage new members to join/take part.

The Juniors taking part have the ability to play interclub competitions against their peers in the form of the Fred Daly there is no discouraging them from playing the game as they are already facilitated.

Juniors are already ineligible to partake in Pierce Purcell, do you believe that to be discouraging Juniors?

I do think Purcell should be changed aswell to allow juniors play.
    You can't base rules on percentage of players eligable.
    You either allow juniors play in all or none.
    I understand juniors have junior events but seniors have over 50s events I can't play in.
    Why are u allowing the seniors play interclub events but not juniors.

At a time when clubs are trying to promote younger people to join I just think your view is hugely outdated.[/QUOTE]

We will have to agree to disagree i'm afraid. Promoting younger players can be done through their own events and interclub competitions. Pierce Purcell covers the vast majority of club players. These guys should have access to interclub comps also. If juveniles have their own comps and seniors have theirs then why cant adults have their own. For what its worth i didnt see a single senior partaking in the Jimmy Bruen at the weekend across the 8 teams that were involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,804 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

slingerz wrote: »
    For what its worth i didnt see a single senior partaking in the Jimmy Bruen at the weekend across the 8 teams that were involved.

Maybe because they weren't good enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Maybe because they weren't good enough?

Could be for a multitude of reasons. You can speculate to what they are all you desire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Maybe one of the mods should move all the talk of juniors/seniors to a seperate thread?

Re interclub comps, Pierce Purcell was on the weekend in Stackstown and was a very tight affair. 345 for Milltown, 346 for Grange & 347 for Stackstown, Druids Glen & Greystones. Unfortunately, Greystones lost out on a top 4 finish on a countback.
    I was on the Greystones panel but unfortunately I couldn't play on Saturday due to my daughters communion clashing, but I was taking it handy on the booze and ready to head early to bed as I was going to be involved on Sunday morning.

Once the word came through, the fridge got stocked with plenty of Guinness which was just as well, because the communion turned into a bloody eurovision party with all the wifes friends hanfging back while the dutyful husbands left with the kids. At least I had guinness to keep me compnay :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

If they pay the same entry fee to the comp as u they should be allowed have same rights in that comp.

While they pay the same competition entry fee, they do not pay the same subs, and hence have fewer playing rights.

You could argue that allowing them to play in the competition at all is generous, asking to be eligible to win it might result in them being excluded altogether.

My reading of the "rule" is that it is to avoid the scenario where a badly handicapped junior comes in with 44 points. The logic is that the current handicap system cannot keep up with a rapidly improving golfer, which is most likely to be a young golfer who has 'recently' taken up the game.

GreeBo wrote: »
    While they pay the same competition entry fee, they do not pay the same subs, and hence have fewer playing rights.

You could argue that allowing them to play in the competition at all is generous, asking to be eligible to win it might result in them being excluded altogether.

My reading of the "rule" is that it is to avoid the scenario where a badly handicapped junior comes in with 44 points. The logic is that the current handicap system cannot keep up with a rapidly improving golfer, which is most likely to be a young golfer who has 'recently' taken up the game.

I believe the vast majority of clubs only allow juniors of a certain standard to play adult comps ie 16 or below handicap which is then controlled by adult handicap sec.
    I just can't agree with leaving them enter but not win.
    Not leaving them enter is punishing good golfers just cause they are under 18.
    Again senior golfers generally pay a reduced fee but they are allowed win majors and represent clubs.
    I just don't see the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭jtown

In our Club - any junior member under 18 H/C can play and win in any senior competition.

For EVERY player they must have played 2 single qualifying competitions in order to win a "major"

I believe the vast majority of clubs only allow juniors of a certain standard to play adult comps ie 16 or below handicap which is then controlled by adult handicap sec.

I just can't agree with leaving them enter but not win.
    Not leaving them enter is punishing good golfers just cause they are under 18.
    Or its rewarding them by allowing them to play in competitions that they otherwise wouldnt be eligible to enter?
    Again senior golfers generally pay a reduced fee but they are allowed win majors and represent clubs.
    I just don't see the difference.
    Reduced fee after 30 years of membership and over 70...I think these members have earned that right.

Probably needs its own thread but I can see it getting messy.

• Advertisement

Or its rewarding them by allowing them to play in competitions that they otherwise wouldnt be eligible to enter?

Reduced fee after 30 years of membership and over 70...I think these members have earned that right.

Regarding juniors. Are you happy for them to win 1st prize in everything bar captains/presidents

Regarding seniors. Not many clubs have a limit of years membership before giving reduced fees

Regarding juniors. Are you happy for them to win 1st prize in everything bar captains/presidents
    I'm happy for them not to be eligible to win any competition that they are being given special permission to enter; be that major or otherwise tbh.
    Regarding seniors. Not many clubs have a limit of years membership before giving reduced fees

All the ones I know of do, and its only increasing in terms of strictness as the golfing population gets older.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

i was paired with a 12 year old which isnt great company through no fault of the 12 year old but once you cover school and the summer holidays there isnt much to chat to them about

Did you try chatting about golf ?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Pints?

I'm happy for them not to be eligible to win any competition that they are being given special permission to enter; be that major or otherwise tbh.

All the ones I know of do, and its only increasing in terms of strictness as the golfing population gets older.

The golfing population is getting older because less young people are encouraged to take it up. Clubs will be forced to close if not enough younger generations join.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Let's keep this topic about scores etc. The rest of the stuff is as Seve said for another thread, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Irishdaywalker

I played in the Pierce Purcell at the weekend, my first time putting myself forward for any team event, and my only regret is that I should have done it sooner ! what a great buzz, played 3 rounds in 2 days and the body is sore and mentally tired! Played with 2 lads on the Saturday in the qualifiers, after a couple of holes we settled into the round and started to chat the way around, without getting distracted, sound lads. Sunday morning, tough match against a good side and 2 lads I was playing against where very solid, myself and partner just could not get going, maybe because we where both rookies we where a little negative, we where beaten on the 16th and was hoping our team would get through to the final, as I wanted to get back out there and play the way we could play! luckily we got that chance and won our final match 4&3 - again the 2 lads we where playing against where top fella's, it was competitive but respectful. Great to be part of a team and makes you feel part of the club with all the well wishes!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭elbagarihno

i was paired with a 12 year old which isnt great company through no fault of the 12 year old but once you cover school and the summer holidays there isnt much to chat to them about

I agree that it doesn't make a lot of sense to pair YOU with a 12 year old if you aren't comfortable with it, but that's an issue between you and your team captain/selectors surely. Were you afraid if you complained that you'd be dropped? Team events are all about compatible pairings, bad team management in this case maybe, but more you getting in your own way due to your bias against Juniors. Did you air your views with the Team Captain & selectors?

Of course Juniors should be involved in these teams, they are the future of the game and our clubs, without them we are lost - simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Anyone able to shed some light on how come kileen gc withdrew from the Pierce Purcell semi on the Sunday morning at 7 30 am after qualifying the previous day at City West.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Russman

Anyone able to shed some light on how come kileen gc withdrew from the Pierce Purcell semi on the Sunday morning at 7 30 am after qualifying the previous day at City West.

The twitter feed on their website says it was “due to handicap discrepancy”

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Hopefully it was not a discrepancy the day before.

• Advertisement

Was a walk over given or the fifth qualifier played instead?

It looks like it was a Walkover - just checked GUI website and Millicent, who where due to play Killen GC had no opposition for the Semi Final. Straight through the final match. . .

It looks like it was a Walkover - just checked GUI website and Millicent, who where due to play Killen GC had no opposition for the Semi Final. Straight through the final match. . .

That's very unfair on the teams who didn't qualify for the semi finals.

Fully agree ! Issue, may have only been noticed the morning of the semi final, and no time to contact 5th place team from Saturday to get to citywest, the fact that the semi final tee'd up at 8am.

Fully agree ! Issue, may have only been noticed the morning of the semi final, and no time to contact 5th place team from Saturday to get to citywest, the fact that the semi final tee'd up at 8am.

How did they not notice the handicap though? Was someone cut for a competition just before the PP which meant they were now to low?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

TitianGerm wrote: »
    How did they not notice the handicap though? Was someone cut for a competition just before the PP which meant they were now to low?

It's based on previous years lowest handicap, so in theory you could be playing off scratch now and still qualify for the PP

This is why you are supposed to hand in the handicap sheets etc on the morning, though it seems like either they weren't handed in or no one actually checked them.

Bit of a disgrace by the GUI imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭kopkidda

This is why you are supposed to hand in the handicap sheets etc on the morning, though it seems like either they weren't handed in or no one actually checked them.

Bit of a disgrace by the GUI imo.

I think Kileen have to take some blame aswell!!

kopkidda wrote: »
    I think Kileen have to take some blame aswell!!

I dont disagree, but there is zero point in the GUI having these rules if they, as the governing body who are running the event, are not checking them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭kennethrhcp

how did the scotch foursomes play out over the previous years foursomes? much changes to how teams set up? i.e. one straight as a die & not long off the tee partnered with a wild boomer? or was it just like any other year & try match 2 lads who play well together & get along?

Advertisement