Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Importing Motorbikes from UK

• 17-08-2017 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4 LaserChicken

Hi! could anyone direct me to a complete guide on buying a motorbike from UK and also ins and outs having it imported e.g. costs, vrt, necessary documentations. There are some guides that are outdated and are from 2006 , also includes invalid form links etc.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Hi! could anyone direct me to a complete guide on buying a motorbike from UK and also ins and outs having it imported e.g. costs, vrt, necessary documentations. There are some guides that are outdated and are from 2006 , also includes invalid form links etc.

Thank you
    You need
    The correct paperwork downloaded from the revenue vrt section online.
    Bill of sale.
    Ferry/transportation ticket/receipt.
    Complete V5.
    And an appointment for the vrt centre
    Pretty sure that's it, the missus imported a car 2 months ago and it was pretty straightforward

Edited complete v5 in case the vrt bloke is having a bad day when u vrt ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The VRT for bikes is €2 for the first 350cc and €1 per cc after, 10% discount per year.

Don't buy with less than 6k km or 6 months old as the bike is considered new and you'll be liable for VAT, you can reclaim it from the UK but it's a hassle you don't need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,467 ✭✭✭✭blade1

cadete wrote: »
    You need
    The correct paperwork downloaded from the revenue vrt section online.
    Bill of sale.
    Ferry/transportation ticket/receipt.
    Complete V5 minus the export section which the seller keeps.
    And an appointment for the vrt centre
    Pretty sure that's it, the missus imported a car 2 months ago and it was pretty straightforward

Not true.
    Export section is for the UK owner if he is exporting the vehicle himself.
    Irish buyer should bring the whole V5 home with them.

blade1 wrote: »
    Not true.
    Export section is for the UK owner if he is exporting the vehicle himself.
    Irish buyer should bring the whole V5 home with them.

I know the two I've been involved with buying from dealers both wanted the export section and wouldnt give it with the the v5. It doesn't really matter anyway though.

I know the two I've been involved with buying from dealers both wanted the export section and wouldnt give it with the the v5. It doesn't really matter anyway though.
    They should have given it as it's no use to them.
    Perhaps in future point them to the facts on the DVLA site.
    Might not matter most of the time but all it takes is one asshole or someone having a bad day when u go to vrt it and you could be given a bit of a headache about it.

I'm sure the op would rather have the facts other than taking chances when there's no need to.

• Advertisement

They should have given it as it's no use to them.
    Perhaps in future point them to the facts on the DVLA site.
    Might not matter most of the time but all it takes is one asshole or someone having a bad day when u go to vrt it and you could be given a bit of a headache about it.

I'm sure the op would rather have the facts other than taking chances when there's no need to.

Nah it wont, all they want is the main document, they dont care about the export part at all. If the seller want to keep it let them make hay, once the vrt crowd have the main doc thats all they need. All they want is the cc of the bike and make/model and possibly the emissions which are all contained in the main form.

Im not trying to start a row with you but thats the way it is .The export part of the form is of no use to anyone VRTing a bike and if the seller wants to keep it let them. Same applies to cars for anyone wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Does anyone know when they check the mileage - is it at presentation to NCT/VRT centre, or is there any checking/recording if you're stopped off the ferry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

thos wrote: »
    Does anyone know when they check the mileage - is it at presentation to NCT/VRT centre, or is there any checking/recording if you're stopped off the ferry?

VRT inspection. The only checks off the ferry would be a random customs inspection for illegal imports and even that's rare for bikes. If worried about mileage that the scenic route home in the UK

As del said they check at the center, for my mates last bike we imported the guy didn't give a ****. even asked us if we wanted him to write down a different millage so we wouldn't have to pay tax.

However a lad on biker.ie just got stung for the wrong millage and had to pay tax so beware of the millage going in if its liable for tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

They certainly do in Galway at any rate.

I know someone who imported an enduro bike that had a speedo but no odo, and they refused to register it. Made no odds that had a uk reg : no proof of mileage and they refused.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

I've been stung by the mileage thing when they first started doing it at the nct centre,.

Bike wasn't worth it, to pay the 21% on the NEW price. Traded it in, to a dealer in the north.

Not worth the risk turning up with the mileage lower than what's required.

If it's close when you buy it, take it the long way home to put enough miles on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

Del2005 wrote: »
    VRT inspection. The only checks off the ferry would be a random customs inspection for illegal imports and even that's rare for bikes. If worried about mileage that the scenic route home in the UK
    Nobody at the ferry port cares about what you are driving unless it contains drugs, refugees or unvaccinated pets.

In my experience, the NCT people will take the evidence you supply uncritically and will process your VRT on that basis. Even if you write some of it out there and then.
    Simply buy your bike, enjoy riding it home and get it registered within six months to avoid problems with insurance.
    Great time to buy now with the low sterling so go for it...

SeamusG97 wrote: »
    Del2005 wrote: »
    Nobody at the ferry port cares about what you are driving unless it contains drugs, refugees or unvaccinated pets.

In my experience, the NCT people will take the evidence you supply uncritically and will process your VRT on that basis. Even if you write some of it out there and then.
    Simply buy your bike, enjoy riding it home and get it registered within six months to avoid problems with insurance.
    Great time to buy now with the low sterling so go for it...

Within 6 months ?.....certainly not. 1 month more like.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

galwaytt wrote: »
    Within 6 months ?.....certainly not. 1 month more like.

I got from April until October out of Quinn direct several years ago before they pulled the plug but I'm sure you are right and things have tightened up since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You have 7 days to notify revenue that you have imported it, and 30 days to have the inspection done.
    If you don't have the inspection done within 30 days of arrival you have to pay 1% of the VRT price per day added on to the VRT DAMHIK.
    Its a lot easier to just book and have the inspection ASAP and pay the VRT and rise around in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Namaste1

Hi, does anyone know of a company that will do all this for me as I'm way to busy/lazy and important to do it myself? I'd pay a company to go get the bike I find in the UK, check it over then bring it back and register it for me so I don't have to worry about all the paperwork etc, surely someone must offer this service these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,019 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Somebody will bring the bike yes. But as far as VRT etc, that has to be done in person. Lazy or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

I'd say if you rang a few dealers told them what you were looking for, they'd source it for you and do all the necessary bits. They're already doing this themselves anyway. The likes of CC's Unlimited have plenty of stock from NI, so sourcing something specific shouldn't make much difference.

Doyles in Athlone, JP motorcycles in Dublin do this

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 5 XanderTheGreat

Hi guys, has anyone used 'Bike Transport UK & Ireland - Gerard O'Brien - GOB Transport Limited' guys before to get the bike home from the UK?

They look great and good comms over email but always a concern as to whats stopping them picking up my new bike and disappearing or is that a bit over suspicious?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

What are good sites to look at bikes in the uk

jap gt wrote: »
    What are good sites to look at bikes in the uk

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bikes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

What is the general cost involved with importing a bike using a courier? I'm looking about bringing one in during the summer, the money i would spend here vs bringing one in from the uk is very different, what i would pay for a 08 here would get me an 11/12 in the UK even after VRT. Again Brexit will have an impact on it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Hi guys, has anyone used 'Bike Transport UK & Ireland - Gerard O'Brien - GOB Transport Limited' guys before to get the bike home from the UK?

They look great and good comms over email but always a concern as to whats stopping them picking up my new bike and disappearing or is that a bit over suspicious?

I priced using them before I got another guy to collect mine who was cheaper and did a great job on two bikes for me now. I can pass on his details by pm if you want to contact him for a quote

What is the general cost involved with importing a bike using a courier? I'm looking about bringing one in during the summer, the money i would spend here vs bringing one in from the uk is very different, what i would pay for a 08 here would get me an 11/12 in the UK even after VRT. Again Brexit will have an impact on it all.

Depends on where the bike is. I had one picked up from Keighley and it cost me €300 to get it collected and delivered to Dublin. I got another one collected from Scotland and it was €450. Depends on the mileage and time involved for the courier.

Depends on where the bike is. I had one picked up from Keighley and it cost me €300 to get it collected and delivered to Dublin. I got another one collected from Scotland and it was €450. Depends on the mileage and time involved for the courier.

That seems reasonable. I'm from Dublin but living in Cork, trying to see what would be the price difference between the 2. Wonder would there be much of a difference if it were dropped to Cork. I've emailed 2 UK dealers to see if they can recommend anybody, is the link further back this page a trusted courier?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 XanderTheGreat

Yes please PM me their details Dublinstiofán. GOB quoted me €550 to pick up from Blackpool and then deliver to Kerry which I thought was very reasonable and they sound on the ball, quick to get back with emails etc. Just wondering what the risks are using someone unknown to me as it's a 2018 bike so it's a few quid.

That seems reasonable. I'm from Dublin but living in Cork, trying to see what would be the price difference between the 2. Wonder would there be much of a difference if it were dropped to Cork. I've emailed 2 UK dealers to see if they can recommend anybody, is the link further back this page a trusted courier?

Be more expensive to get it into Cork I’d say. Guy is very flexible though he might take it to Dublin for you and meet you here and you can ride it down home yourself?

Guy I dealt with is called Mark and his company is MB Transport. He has a Facebook page under MB Transport he’s based in Bangor. Did a great job for me and best price I could get by a mile.

Yes please PM me their details Dublinstiofán. GOB quoted me €550 to pick up from Blackpool and then deliver to Kerry which I thought was very reasonable and they sound on the ball, quick to get back with emails etc. Just wondering what the risks are using someone unknown to me as it's a 2018 bike so it's a few quid.

I didn’t use them so I can’t say but I got a 2017 bike through that guy Mark and he brought a KTM over for my buddy just before Christmas too and both times it all went without a hitch. I’ll pm marks number to you and you can get a quote from him if you wish. The more quotes the better.

• Advertisement

I had a new bike collected in London, met him in Dublin, cost me €300. Had a bike brought from Southampton a couple of years ago and was nearer €350 and took longer; they're not in that area as often, to collect.

Once they have to go away from Dublin costs go up, but if you work it out, it's still cheaper than driving up/diesel/tolls etc: if they'd go to Cork I think I'd pay them the extra tbh.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

What's stopping people from collecting the bike and riding it back themselves?. Is it an insurance issue?
    Just curious..

Be more expensive to get it into Cork I’d say. Guy is very flexible though he might take it to Dublin for you and meet you here and you can ride it down home yourself?

Guy I dealt with is called Mark and his company is MB Transport. He has a Facebook page under MB Transport he’s based in Bangor. Did a great job for me and best price I could get by a mile.

Will look into that company, thank you.

I had a new bike collected in London, met him in Dublin, cost me €300. Had a bike brought from Southampton a couple of years ago and was nearer €350 and took longer; they're not in that area as often, to collect.

Once they have to go away from Dublin costs go up, but if you work it out, it's still cheaper than driving up/diesel/tolls etc: if they'd go to Cork I think I'd pay them the extra tbh.

That’s a good price, I was expecting a sum of 4 figures initially. There is a guy in Cork who does it also but his prices to ship locally are expensive so I can imagine shipping from the uk.

I might ask for quotes to both Dublin and Cork. The Aircoach is only €20 anyway. It’ll take me the best part of a day round trip between the jigs and reels if I do it.

Missed out on one bike I was looking at but these are good options to have and the advice is great.

What's stopping people from collecting the bike and riding it back themselves?. Is it an insurance issue?
    Just curious..

Finding the free time is more awkward than anything else, insurance is costly but not problematic for what I’m looking at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Finding the free time is more awkward than anything else, insurance is costly but not problematic for what I’m looking at.

cost of flights, hastle of transfer to the location then the price of the boat back.

sometimes it does not stack up financially. better to get delivered.

• Advertisement

That’s a good price, I was expecting a sum of 4 figures initially. There is a guy in Cork who does it also but his prices to ship locally are expensive so I can imagine shipping from the uk.

I might ask for quotes to both Dublin and Cork. The Aircoach is only €20 anyway. It’ll take me the best part of a day round trip between the jigs and reels if I do it.

Missed out on one bike I was looking at but these are good options to have and the advice is great.

I contacted a guy in Cork for mine, and he quoted €475, I don't see you paying any more, and probably less. http://www.motorcyclexpress.ie/contact/ I think is the one (he had an English accent iirc).

Ode To The Motorist

I contacted a guy in Cork for mine, and he quoted €475 (to Galway), I don't see you paying any more, and probably less. http://www.motorcyclexpress.ie/contact/ I think is the one (he had an English accent iirc).

That's the guy, very pricey i thought.

listermint wrote: »
    cost of flights, hastle of transfer to the location then the price of the boat back.

sometimes it does not stack up financially. better to get delivered.

Nail on the head there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Teds Trucking charge about €300 to ship a bike back to Ireland. You'd be hard pressed topping that with ferries, fuel and flights.

D3V!L wrote: »
    Teds Trucking charge about €300 to ship a bike back to Ireland. You'd be hard pressed topping that with ferries, fuel and flights.

Seen him before, but people were unable to get in contact/responses from him? There isn't a hope in hell of topping that all off.

What would the VRT be on a 1300cc bike would anyone know? 1340 to be exact?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Seen him before, but people were unable to get in contact/responses from him? There isn't a hope in hell of topping that all off.

It depends on the first registration date. Have a look here -

https://www.ros.ie/evrt-enquiry/vrtenquiry.html?execution=e1s2

D3V!L wrote: »
    It depends on the first registration date. Have a look here -

https://www.ros.ie/evrt-enquiry/vrtenquiry.html?execution=e1s2

That gave me a very fast answer and all the more justifies my decision to look to the UK.

Depends on the year as well.
    Not too bad on an older bike.
    https://www.vrt.ie/vehicle-registration-tax-in-detail/vehicle-registration-tax-rates/motorcycles-vrt/

Thank you :D
    roughly €336 on an 11 reg sports bike

Thank you :D
    roughly €336 on an 11 reg sports bike

Grand.
    I gave them €4200 vrt a few years ago for a car.
    The car was €9000 cheaper leaving out the vrt!
    Bastards!!:(

Grand.
    I gave them €4200 vrt a few years ago for a car.
    The car was €9000 cheaper leaving out the vrt!
    Bastards!!:(

They are fcukers. the fines they pay the EU are minimal in comparison to what they make on the tax.

The difference was 9k for an identical car here?

They are fcukers. the fines they pay the EU are minimal in comparison to what they make on the tax.

The difference was 9k for an identical car here?

There was only 2 I could see for sale in Ireland at the time and they were both 30k.
    Way less extras and higher milage than the one I got in UK and I got it off a main dealer in Ipswich.
    Paid £18000 which was exactly €21000 at the time.
    They wanted £19000 but they accepted 18000 no problem.
    24h round trip from the moment I left home.
    Flight from Cork €15 and ferry back was €170 I think.
    Dealer filled car with petrol for me, new mats, updated software, done a 60 point check and new tyres.

Oh and using my N26 card was €650 cheaper than using an Irish bank regarding cross border fees for sterling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Just curious..
    As already stated time off work is probably the major factor. I have done it in the past on a couple of occasions. Insurance is not a problem as you can get cover using the english reg but must provide an Irish reg within 4 weeks (at least that is what it was a couple years ago. Just make sure you have proof ofi was. purchase (Receipt) when boarding the boat home. You may be asked as

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,497 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

the fines they pay the EU

:rolleyes: not this bs again...

Scrap the cap!

:rolleyes: not this bs again...

My first time discussing that issue :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement