Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing Motorbikes from UK

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

What's stopping people from collecting the bike and riding it back themselves?. Is it an insurance issue?
    Just curious..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Be more expensive to get it into Cork I’d say. Guy is very flexible though he might take it to Dublin for you and meet you here and you can ride it down home yourself?

Guy I dealt with is called Mark and his company is MB Transport. He has a Facebook page under MB Transport he’s based in Bangor. Did a great job for me and best price I could get by a mile.

Will look into that company, thank you.

galwaytt wrote: »
    I had a new bike collected in London, met him in Dublin, cost me €300. Had a bike brought from Southampton a couple of years ago and was nearer €350 and took longer; they're not in that area as often, to collect.

Once they have to go away from Dublin costs go up, but if you work it out, it's still cheaper than driving up/diesel/tolls etc: if they'd go to Cork I think I'd pay them the extra tbh.

That’s a good price, I was expecting a sum of 4 figures initially. There is a guy in Cork who does it also but his prices to ship locally are expensive so I can imagine shipping from the uk.

I might ask for quotes to both Dublin and Cork. The Aircoach is only €20 anyway. It’ll take me the best part of a day round trip between the jigs and reels if I do it.

Missed out on one bike I was looking at but these are good options to have and the advice is great.

What's stopping people from collecting the bike and riding it back themselves?. Is it an insurance issue?
    Just curious..

Finding the free time is more awkward than anything else, insurance is costly but not problematic for what I’m looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,638 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Finding the free time is more awkward than anything else, insurance is costly but not problematic for what I’m looking at.

cost of flights, hastle of transfer to the location then the price of the boat back.

sometimes it does not stack up financially. better to get delivered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

That’s a good price, I was expecting a sum of 4 figures initially. There is a guy in Cork who does it also but his prices to ship locally are expensive so I can imagine shipping from the uk.

I might ask for quotes to both Dublin and Cork. The Aircoach is only €20 anyway. It’ll take me the best part of a day round trip between the jigs and reels if I do it.

Missed out on one bike I was looking at but these are good options to have and the advice is great.

I contacted a guy in Cork for mine, and he quoted €475, I don't see you paying any more, and probably less. http://www.motorcyclexpress.ie/contact/ I think is the one (he had an English accent iirc).

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    I contacted a guy in Cork for mine, and he quoted €475 (to Galway), I don't see you paying any more, and probably less. http://www.motorcyclexpress.ie/contact/ I think is the one (he had an English accent iirc).

That's the guy, very pricey i thought.

listermint wrote: »
    cost of flights, hastle of transfer to the location then the price of the boat back.

sometimes it does not stack up financially. better to get delivered.

Nail on the head there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Teds Trucking charge about €300 to ship a bike back to Ireland. You'd be hard pressed topping that with ferries, fuel and flights.

D3V!L wrote: »
    Teds Trucking charge about €300 to ship a bike back to Ireland. You'd be hard pressed topping that with ferries, fuel and flights.

Seen him before, but people were unable to get in contact/responses from him? There isn't a hope in hell of topping that all off.

What would the VRT be on a 1300cc bike would anyone know? 1340 to be exact?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Seen him before, but people were unable to get in contact/responses from him? There isn't a hope in hell of topping that all off.

It depends on the first registration date. Have a look here -

https://www.ros.ie/evrt-enquiry/vrtenquiry.html?execution=e1s2

D3V!L wrote: »
    It depends on the first registration date. Have a look here -

https://www.ros.ie/evrt-enquiry/vrtenquiry.html?execution=e1s2

That gave me a very fast answer and all the more justifies my decision to look to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Depends on the year as well.
    Not too bad on an older bike.
    https://www.vrt.ie/vehicle-registration-tax-in-detail/vehicle-registration-tax-rates/motorcycles-vrt/

blade1 wrote: »
    Thank you :D
    roughly €336 on an 11 reg sports bike

Thank you :D
    roughly €336 on an 11 reg sports bike

Grand.
    I gave them €4200 vrt a few years ago for a car.
    The car was €9000 cheaper leaving out the vrt!
    Bastards!!:(

blade1 wrote: »
    Grand.
    I gave them €4200 vrt a few years ago for a car.
    The car was €9000 cheaper leaving out the vrt!
    Bastards!!:(

They are fcukers. the fines they pay the EU are minimal in comparison to what they make on the tax.

The difference was 9k for an identical car here?

They are fcukers. the fines they pay the EU are minimal in comparison to what they make on the tax.

The difference was 9k for an identical car here?

There was only 2 I could see for sale in Ireland at the time and they were both 30k.
    Way less extras and higher milage than the one I got in UK and I got it off a main dealer in Ipswich.
    Paid £18000 which was exactly €21000 at the time.
    They wanted £19000 but they accepted 18000 no problem.
    24h round trip from the moment I left home.
    Flight from Cork €15 and ferry back was €170 I think.
    Dealer filled car with petrol for me, new mats, updated software, done a 60 point check and new tyres.

Oh and using my N26 card was €650 cheaper than using an Irish bank regarding cross border fees for sterling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Just curious..
    As already stated time off work is probably the major factor. I have done it in the past on a couple of occasions. Insurance is not a problem as you can get cover using the english reg but must provide an Irish reg within 4 weeks (at least that is what it was a couple years ago. Just make sure you have proof ofi was. purchase (Receipt) when boarding the boat home. You may be asked as

• Registered Users Posts: 33,936 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

the fines they pay the EU

:rolleyes: not this bs again...

Life ain't always empty.

My first time discussing that issue :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭emo72

could you elaborate for the uninformed?

The "VRT is an illegal tax and we have to pay fines to the EU" thing is total nonsense

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭emo72

The "VRT is an illegal tax and we have to pay fines to the EU" thing is total nonsense

ive heard that claimed loads of times. i dont know whats true.

Maybe the guy who said "repeat a lie often enough and it becomes the truth" was on to something.

Life ain't always empty.

Ted seems to have gone AWOL, I can't seem to contact him at all .

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

What is the standard procedure for buying a motorbike in the UK and having someone collect it?

Do you make full payment with the seller and then arrange a date for your guy to collect it?

Have you to just take the sellers word (shop not private seller) that the bike is how it's advertised, for example rust free, 100% working order etc as you will not be looking at the bike yourself before handing over the money?

What is the standard procedure for buying a motorbike in the UK and having someone collect it?

Do you make full payment with the seller and then arrange a date for your guy to collect it?

Have you to just take the sellers word (shop not private seller) that the bike is how it's advertised, for example rust free, 100% working order etc as you will not be looking at the bike yourself before handing over the money?

Some couriers will inspect the bike upon collection but you will still have to have paid for it in full, first.

Privately of course, there's an element of risk: from a shop it's more secure, but you'll still be paying in advance of collection. And shops would be more diligent vis-a-vis any finance owing on it (clean title), crash history, whether stolen etc. Buying privately you'd have no comeback.

Stolen bikes is a big problem in UK atmo.

One thing I must stress: wherever you buy, you MUST get the V5C Registration document with the bike when it's collected. Under no circumstances does the seller post it off to DVLA as per a normal UK sale. You cannot register the bike here without it.

Make this clear at the start with the seller. If needs be, let them read the V5C which says it or get them to ring the DVLA to confirm it.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Ok this is slightly the reverse of topic. I'm looking at a few bikes in the uk. The dealers welcome trade ins. I have a bike which was originally imported from the UK. What is the process of getting it back on a UK plate? Or is this just complicating things unnecessarily?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Ask the dealer if they can take your bike which was originally from the UK.

Personally, you're probably better off just selling it here. Even if you put it up for moderately less than what it's worth it's probably going to be more than the UK dealer will give you and with the weather good it shouldn't be too hard to shift.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

Anyone any experience buying from Superbike Factory in the UK?

They seem to have a lot of bikes and some at very tempting prices and very low mileage

Advertisement