Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar Install; the on-going saga

Options

Comments

The 12v alternator/solar changeover relay is in. The make and break relay is out...soon as it dawned on me it wasn't doing anything the c/o couldn't. Swapped in a 40 Amp breaker on the TS output.

I resistance checked my DC breakers and now understand why but not how they are "never really off" as Solar Bob describes. They're just big resistors. My 16A breaker was reading 3KΩ open. ...Meh! I still prefer them to fuses for their switchability for select applications.
    Still haven't had a decent day to test the tiltage bonus. On the whole harvesting is very low, been too busy to keep track but I reckon it's under 5Ah daily with all these grey skies usually I see more volts than amps. Still though it's keeping the batteries above 12.4v which is enough to halt sulphation even if it is just surface charge (so goes my theory anyways).

I've tried massive capacitors an assortment of ferrite cores on the DC and AC sides of the traffo - no improvement and it's still head wrecking. I reckon it's the Tristar PWM picking another fight.
    The new c/o relay buzzes too when the TS is operating with no forward current across the relay. I am running them backwards to tradition ie. power in the 87 terminals and power out the 30 terminal I doubt this has anything to do with it though since the coil is as prescribed. Whatever about the traffo the relay won't last long at that. I suspect it's inductive interference. So now I have to isolate the relays from the traffo without diodes or relays :confused:...short-term solution seems to be a screwdriver :rolleyes: ....ooh vacuum tubes maybe :D:D:cool::eek:

If I wasn't so stubborn I'd just buy a good mains charger....

...think I'll email Morningstar instead :p

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭holyhutzpa

I don't think running the c/o relay should cause a buzzing noise?

I've caught up with the first 60% of this thread, but must have missed where the c/o is in the current circuit.

Sounds like it's very difficult to get the solar to charge both the leisure and starter batteries (you had a manual switch at one point?)

I've considered getting something like this: http://www.hollybrookps.co.uk/caravan-motorhome-solar-kits/100w-caravan-motorhome-solar-kit.html

I'm sure you'll turn your nose at the inferior charge controller. What am I missing out on? The ability to charge with solar while driving isn't a big issue for me - and not too bothered if the solar only tops up the starter when manually switched over (when the van is idle for a few weeks, for example)
    It probably won't get as much out of the leisure as the tristar controller would...? I think the tristar is slightly smarter in this way.

I've also been eyeing up the trimetric battery monitor too. However, it sounds like a good application for an arduino - an arduino should be able to measure current leaving and voltage - and add up the current leaving over time, and you should be able to calculate a virtual %age discharged (however this will be based on an assumed capacity)... Finding the time to make one might be difficult though.

Yeah I'm having lots of issues with the c/o relay, I need an opportunity to tinker some more with it before I write it off. It's supposed to have a resistor in parallel with the coil to possibly prevent what I am experiencing but it's doesn't so I'm going to add one rather than ship it back to the UK as it's not what I ordered even though it has the same serial number.
    Basically my electrons are fighting all the time. Tristar PWM plays havoc with everything digital upstream. The c/o relay is buzzing when moving from energised alternator charge to normal open solar charge, I think it's latent current screwing with the electromagnet coil. So I have to open circuit the solar module and reset the solar controller to make it stop. Same happens when I turn on the traffo charger...which I'm still looking for a way to soft start. Any ideas?
    It's a 70A continuous or 100A instantaneous relay but judging by the heat of operating at 15A continuous I'd happily derate it to 35A/50A.

The company I ordered it from messed up half the order and I messed up the rest so it's all somewhat frustrating.
    Post #104 has the most recent wiring diagram "whole kit and kaboodle" except the M&B relay is superfluous and has been removed & the 24v c/o is currently being returned to sender as the wrong gubbins.
    holyhutzpa wrote: »
    Sounds like it's very difficult to get the solar to charge both the leisure and starter batteries (you had a manual switch at one point?)

Nah that's easy! (see last link in post #89).
    I'm trying to charge two different size, type and variation of batteries from three different generators with minimal manual interaction with the same charger that is a solar controller not a charger with just one (or two) switch(es) to rule them all!

There's a manual direct 20A switch that links the positives of all batteries this has many handy applications.
    I'm sure you'll turn your nose at the inferior charge controller. What am I missing out on? The ability to charge with solar while driving isn't a big issue for me - and not too bothered if the solar only tops up the starter when manually switched over (when the van is idle for a few weeks, for example)
    It probably won't get as much out of the leisure as the tristar controller would...? I think the tristar is slightly smarter in this way.

I use it as a digital regulator PWM 3-stage charger while driving it's much better for the batteries than the alternator constant voltage charge....mmm look at that heat sink it's the largest component!

Yup, yer dead right, I think that solar controller is junk. Have a look at morningstar's lite controllers they have 10 amp SunSavers I'd recommend. That controller won't top up the batteries it'll just tease them. At the very least have a look at the Steca controllers that Hollybrooks have and ask that to be bundled instead. I'm not recommending them either but they're better than that dreadful Chinese one.

Beware if you Silkaflex your module to the roof you'll have a very hard time tilting it at a later date unless you have a pop-top or a crowbar.
    What am I missing out on?
    2 years battery service life due to under/over-charge (without knowing the product..it's just a pay peanuts get monkeys philosophy) & enough cable 6m = 2 x 3m 2-core. I'd consider going thicker and longer.
    I think one ought to be considering the importance of a good solar controller more than photovoltaics if not equal. The charge controller is the keystone.
    I've also been eyeing up the trimetric battery monitor too. However, it sounds like a good application for an arduino - an arduino should be able to measure current leaving and voltage - and add up the current leaving over time, and you should be able to calculate a virtual %age discharged (however this will be based on an assumed capacity)... Finding the time to make one might be difficult though.

Apart from the SmartGauge every other decent amp hour counter needs to be shunted which is problematic as I have no perfect place for a shunt. I can't isolate the grounds as the alternator doesn't always charge the leisure bank as is my preference. Even if it did it would effect the bank capacity value. So alternator charge always throws the meter out. The TM works best in the Summer when I don't need the alternator...or a monitor for that matter because it usually says full. SmartGuage cleverly uses an algorithm based on Peukert's equation and is a unique approach that I think may be best. It's also cheaper. The TM works for Solar Bob because he has only one generator (solar) and one battery bank, I've got three generators so far and split batteries. Once I get my 48v domestic off the ground I'll probably swap for a SmartGauge into the camper and put the TriMetric on the forklift batteries.

Capacity is never what it says on the tin and changes with age and temperature, after a while with an Ah counter you'll deduce your capacity and you can verify it with a hydrometer and googleations.

...not too bothered if the solar only tops up the starter when manually switched over (when the van is idle for a few weeks, for example)

It's not advisable to link mismatched batteries for prolonged periods especially while off charge. The greater battery will beat up the lesser, and the lesser will pull down the greater.

:confused:

I've been reading up more on the SmartGauge (love that website that dude truly understands lead acids).
    The downfall of the SmartGauge is it has no ammeter just a processor. This means you can't read instantaneous charge/discharge so it'd be best coupled with a digital or 30 - 0 - 30 (depending on system requirements) analogue ammeter, externally shunted to save on wire distance.

• Advertisement

The cap would prevent any very 'fast' spike which lowers the chance of it 'crosstalking' to nearby sensitive circuitry. The diode will prevent most of the spike anyway so a cap isn't really necessary unless the relay were physically in the middle of a mic preamp for example.
    If you have the diode, your done.
    If you go back to basic electronic theory and consider an inductor, breaking the current flow in theory will make it produce an 'infinite' voltage spike and the energy for this has to go somewhere. A diode will act as a 'short circuit' so the current will flow back through the coil and the energy released will be dissipated as heat in the winding resistance. A capacitor would make a 'tuned circuit' and again the energy will be released as heat in the coil resistance, but this can be 'frequency concious' and will have a particular response.

This looks the likely solution. Not that I understand why entirely but how is easy.

hornrelay.jpg

A colleague suggested I use frequency cancellation to "eliminate" the traffo buzz. Simply play the frequency on a set of speakers 180° out of phase beside the traffo and this will create silence....ah noise boys! :rolleyes: Pity it's a variable frequency not that I'd do it anyway. Nice idea though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

This looks the likely solution. Not that I understand why entirely but how is easy.

hornrelay.jpg

A colleague suggested I use frequency cancellation to "eliminate" the traffo buzz. Simply play the frequency on a set of speakers 180° out of phase beside the traffo and this will create silence....ah noise boys! :rolleyes: Pity it's a variable frequency not that I'd do it anyway. Nice idea though.

I used to repair computer monitors hot melt glue was used a lot on inductors and traffos, just make sure its not a corrosive one, we made a lot of money out of a certain french manufacturer that used that :pac:

Non-corrosive to what? Laminations or metals...both I suppose. What are laminations & insulative coating made of?

It already gets very hot when operating, do you think more insulation is a good idea? I've only tested it to about 10A that's almost too hot to touch where the regulators (maybe they're bridge rectifiers...that kindov lookin' gubbins anyway) are heat sinked to the case...it goes to 25A.

The traffo's traffo looks pretty well covered to me but maybe that's just a yellow electric insulative wrapper.

The diode didn't work as per previous image (that's for a much lower power application I reckon).

Now that I've had a chance to look at the system I found solar's been down 5 days. :D Last year's set up and batteries woulda been pancakes at that rate...I was only 20% discharged and 12.5v, didn't even notice other than the "is it really that cloudy?" suspicion.

I can confirm the buzzing was the relay coil alright. I reckon I've knocked about 1000 operations off my 700 000 :pac:. The the buzz was the electromagnet firing at high frequency.
    I'm not sure why solar was down but probably I wired it ar$eways because it shouldn't have been affected. I know I definitely wired it ar$eways repeatedly today as I was having difficulty with inverting the pin out to look at the back of it :rolleyes:.

Anyways, the way to get the coil to behave is to build an Resistor-Capacitor Snubber, it's a soft short that forces the latent current into heat dissipation through the coil and resister and the capacitor holds the gate.

I don't think both the diodes are necessary but i used them anyway because I had them and the one on the coil ground was the nearest battery ground so I thought no harm!

[Edit: Confirmed! The diode on the +ive side of the coil is only preventing back flow to an open switch....the reason I put it there is I was copying a diagram from a dimmer circuit and I had one handy. Neither diode is necessary for this circuit.]

RCSnubberWiringDiagram_zpsc96b8e97.jpg?t=1386102120

I got most of the details of this from google, I wasn't bothered mathiplying anything. The resistor I guessed.
    I bought the 1N4001s diode, pulled the capacitor off an expired DC laptop charger (and noticed a few more in the Halfords charger), the last Diode is the 60A power diode.
    [EDIT: the power diode is definitely not needed. It's actually in parallel not series as the diagram indicates with one side going to ground the far side going to battery +ive...so rather than me changing the wiring diagram you could imagine them not being there ;)]

C/O relay works perfectly now. I had 1.4A coming down this morning in direct sun 11am with the module tilted.

12vChangeoverRelay_zpsc40a1df2.jpg

The Capacitor is soldered in-line as well as the resistor, you can see the cap, held by a cable clip above the relay holder. The reason my relay holder looks in rag order is because I've had to modify it to accept uber-relays.

GettingCrowdedNow_zps697bee87.jpg
    RCSnubberWiringDiagram_zpsc96b8e97.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

I put this on the fridge fan live in (I think it came off a washing machine PCB). No idea what it is but it does work. Anyone wanting to look up the band codes feel free.

FridgeFansResistor_zps7671a2fb.jpg

I tried doing it the mathematical route and that took ages and was wrong so I just kept pulling chunky resistors outta the bone yard until I found one that dropped 14.7v charging batteries to 13.4v which I wanted. Bosch! Oh and it's covered in heat shrink now before anyone starts hinting better :p.
    It's the main +ive to the fan circuit...the reason it's a blue core is because I ran out of red & brown...there's red leky tape markers beside the terminals though!

I tried putting a monster capacitor on the AC side of the traffo to shut that up (doesn't work on the DC side) but the in-rush took out the main van 10A RCD, so I decided against any further investigation down that road.

• Advertisement

I've been lurking in the MorningsStar web-site.

The TriStar does soft start.
    TristarChargeProfile_zpse0cd7918.jpg

The problem is it's over spec-ed.
    It doesn't read my 180Ah bank as ever in need of bulk charge because it's designed to charge a 345Ah - 1000Ah bank.
    Which is really only a problem for mains charging when source current is relatively abundant.
    I could solve the problem with more batteries :D.
    Or soft starting from solar/alternator.
    Automatically regulating a traffo voltage ramp still eludes me. Custom profile perhaps. Hmmmm....

Noise control;

Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) charging may cause a buzzing noise in the system during charging. PWM switching noise can sometimes be heard in the controller itself, the wiring or wiring connections, or the system loads. AM radios are especially prone to PWM interference. Noise in the controller or wiring is caused by mechanical resonance when current is switched through the circuits. There is little that can be done to remedy this issue.

However, PWM noise in the system loads can usually be reduced or eliminated by the following:
    1) Minimize cable runs between components
    2) Twist power pairs(+/-) to reduce radiated noise
    3) Good system grounding
    4) Add capacitance across load power(at load input, 22000uf or more)
    5) Add a line filter. some have had success with car audio filters that eliminate alternator whine

If none of the above work there's always the option of cracking the TriStar cover and setting a dip-switch to a 1hz on-off charge waveform instead of PWM temporarily. (Items; 1 and 3 already done, 4 tried with a lesser cap. I'm dubious twisted pair will do any better than ferrite cores...that leaves power line filters and a bigger cap.)
    I understand the traffo is not a system load but for all intents and purposes its a closer approximation than a solar module.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I put this on the fridge fan live in (I think it came off a washing machine PCB). No idea what it is but it does work. Anyone wanting to look up the band codes feel free. QUOTE]

It's a 100 K Ohm resistor, bit big?
    0 Black
    1 Brown
    2 Red
    3 Orange
    4 Yellow
    5 Green
    6 Blue
    7 Violate
    8 Grey
    9 White

Brown 1
    Black 0
    Yellow x10000
    100,000 OHMS

There is ryme to remember the colour code but it, racest, sexest, has distubing criminal activity and makes assumptions that might not be true. I can't repeat it on an open forum, or to my wife!

I'd just use an online calculator myself.
    Yeah pretty big alrighty but so's my charger. Pity I can't test it in this weather because it's too cold to over-heat the fridge...might have to block the vents (because I never added the over-ride on switch....nor the potentiometer for that matter).
    I calculated a 180Ω resistor for 720mA of fans (but they run lower than spec-ed) tried this first and got negligible drop. The 1kΩ was giving me a drop from 14.7v to 13.4v on charge and 12.8v to 11.6v when resting without running the fans. This keeps me inside the 13.8v < 6.0v thresholds even with temp. compensated open lead acids so pending further testing I think it works. Any idea why this is? It's in series.

Please PM ryme :D

The tiltage benefit is a tad more than 40% this time of year. I make it between 50% and 900%. Maxing just under 4A tilted this weather or 900mA flat midday figures. I've added a compass to the driving (/parking) instruments.

The TM monitor went so far out of sync over a fortnight on mostly alternator charge that it was telling me my batteries were at 40% when I knew them to be at 85%. It lost track of about 90Ah over the course of this. Considering it doesn't measure self-discharge this is even more inaccurate as I would have replaced ~120Ah.

The TM doesn't compensate for Peukert's equation as this is even more misleading but does compensate for lead acid charge reluctance. Which is factory set to 94% giggle.gif.

I love the generation/discharge readings it gives, and it's a fantastic diagnostic tool but unless you run a system where you see a full charge at every 4-5 days the battery % becomes unreliable.
    My favourite thing about it is seeing how bright it is outside by the current generating before I ever open the curtains.

There's a comparison here;
    SmartGauge wrote:

In effect, these meters only give a decent state of charge indication when the operator already knows what the state of charge is because the operator has spent so much time monitoring the meter and batteries. If the operator has to know what the state of charge is in order to trust the meter, then what exactly is the point in having the meter?

All amp hours counters seem to do, as far as state of charge is concerned, is make the operator monitor the batteries themselves, then tell the meter what the state of charge is.

I suspect this should come with a "Don't try this at home kids" waiver...the more I think about it though the more I'm inclined to think no-one would be bothered anyway.

I've been looking at these last two solutions;
    4) Add capacitance across load power(at load input, 22000uf or more)
    5) Add a line filter. some have had success with car audio filters that eliminate alternator whine

A line filter is just an inductor - capacitor. So that just leaves point 5.

So...erm yeah a 25amp inductor...I'm going to have to make this because it's not been invented yet mostly because I suspect it's the wrong approach.

I found this DIY filter;

IMG_2510.jpg

IMG_2511.jpg

Except mine had to be 25A coiled at full load :eek:.

Ferrite cores don't often get this big either so erm... steel = iron = ferrous = galvanised steel 2ton shackle :rolleyes:

Choke_zps4a382f08.jpg

Gubbins

Inductor_zps0864c4b1.jpg

Inductor; 10mmSq cable 105°C.

The filter doesn't mute the noise it just moves it to the new inductor :rolleyes:
    ....sound proofing!!!

Soundproofing_zps5721a3ae.jpg

Sound proof box.

Silentinductor_zps70ae1097.jpg

20mm pine - cardboard - Thermawrap - glue - Thermawarp - wet sand - noisy thing!

It's reduced the traffo noise to maybe half with less rasp!
    Damn magnetrostriction!
    That's it now. I'm going to have to draw the line here and say that a further investment on this is pointless better spent on a real charger.

Dip switching PWM to ON - OFF charging is quiet.

I may or may not install my frankenductor depending on how well it fits into a dark hole I have nearby.

Oh yeah and don't forget to discharge those monster capacitors before you wire them kids..:pac:

RCSurpressor_zps807373f0.jpg

New Snubber for the 24v C/O relay coil.

SurpressorInsulated_zpscae626d6.jpg
    Insulated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Should you not have a reversed biased diode across the relay coil to stop any back emf when you switch it off.

Some crazy stuff goin' on here *grabs popcorn*

Should you not have a reversed biased diode across the relay coil to stop any back emf when you switch it off.

OOps yes! :D There is a diode actually but it's between the TriStar and the coil because the TriStar was powering the 24v side of the traffo.

Hrm hold this - put that there - Bosch

I'm starting to regret not planning my "electrical cupboard" better now I'm getting pressed for space.
    Then again there was no way I could have seen the end of this project from the beginning.
    I'm spending a lot of time fishing for screws with a magnetic grabber.

Ah I misinterpreted you, yeah the RC works for the relay coil suppression better than a diode for a high power circuit/PWM interference.
    ...you gave me an idea though from misreading you; The traffo bees are divided between the Frankenductor and the traffo's inbuilt inductor if I go traffo -> power diode -> Capacitor + Frankenductor -> TriStar it might send more bees to the sandpit.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

I can't say I've read the whole thread :eek:
    but why don't you ditch the cheap shlt chinese buzz box and pickup an old server power supply they wouldn't even break a sweat at 350w.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-Proliant-DL380-G4-PSU-X-2-In-One-Lot-ESP135-321632-001-/281214118875?pt=UK_Computing_PowerSupplies_EH&hash=item4179aaebdb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8fO3yVigZo

i prefer the supplies that take a bigger fan though as you have lots of silent fan options.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1170784

steel isn't good for inductor core as it saturates easily and is easily magnetised.

Good idea, just didn't think of it. The cheap Chinese buzz box is quiet when it's not attached to a PWM wave. If I find a free PSU I may well try it. Tbh mains is my third charger by order of priority. So that I have it working albeit noisily for the ~€80 I've spent on it is somewhat an achievement. In terms of battery charging it does the job and better than most car battery chargers out there. Spending anymore is getting too close to my I-could-just-buy-a-very-good-purpose-built-device-for-this-figure.

Yeah I thought steel might be pants alright. You can get big ferrites out of speakers but all I have in salvage isn't worth the effort of un-bonding.
    Would iron be better? I picked up an iron towing ring and tested it rather unscientifically with a magnet, the shackle had a stronger attraction. Less magnetic is better?
    Say if I dipped the shackle in H2SO4 to remove the galvanisation whistling.gif...would this improve performance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Good idea, just didn't think of it. The cheap Chinese buzz box is quiet when it's not attached to a PWM wave. If I find a free PSU I may well try it. Tbh mains is my third charger by order of priority. So that I have it working albeit noisily for the ~€80 I've spent on it is somewhat an achievement. In terms of battery charging it does the job and better than most car battery chargers out there. Spending anymore is getting too close to my I-could-just-buy-a-very-good-purpose-built-device-for-this-figure.

Yeah I thought steel might be pants alright. You can get big ferrites out of speakers but all I have in salvage isn't worth the effort of un-bonding.
    Would iron be better? I picked up an iron towing ring and tested it rather unscientifically with a magnet, the shackle had a stronger attraction. Less magnetic is better?
    Say if I dipped the shackle in H2SO4 to remove the galvanisation whistling.gif...would this improve performance?

You nead to anneal iron to make it 'soft' for use as a core material towing ring is probably tempered to some extent . The tristar seems to tolerate a high input voltage a dead old pa amplifier is a good source for an ideal linear supply - enormouse toroidal transformer, bridge rectifier and massive smoothing capacitors might be worth trying a local repair shop.

hmmm....better...
    Bulk charge is silent, Absorption is less headwrecking, Float is almost quiet. Switch mode LEDs no longer affect the pitch. I may be signing off early on this one, short of free fancy gubbins and the incentive.
    IronRing_zps8063d9ec.jpg

Iron Ring

OInductor_zpsf8d3e53c.jpg

25A Low-Tech Inductor

FrankenductorMk2_zps3061e403.jpg

Frankenductor Mk-2

Snug_zpsda3e290a.jpg
    Buried

Soundproof25AmpICFilter_zps0a4c9406.jpg

Soundproof 25Amp LC Filter

DarkHole_zpse09c43d5.jpg

Nearby Dark Hole

24v C/O relay is in, I need the power diode in series with the traffo as well as the RC in parallel with the coil to get the relay coil to behave. Induction-tastic lately. :confused:

This relay was originally to prevent the traffo powering the solar module. It's not harmful just wasteful.
    It also protects the starter battery from inadvertent 24v constant voltage charge :eek: , as well, it makes mains charging plug and play.

ElectricalCloset_zps2a8c060d.jpg

Happy Solstice Everyone!

extra_happy.gifextra_happy.gifextra_happy.gif

I put this on the fridge fan live in...
    It's a 100 K Ohm resistor, bit big?

The aulde sacred penny dropped; I was checking open circuit voltage. facepalm.gif
    You're right Space, thanks for pointing that out. ...pull it apart and try the circuit voltage with a 180Ω resistor so...
    ...that can wait til Summer :pac:

It's nearly there now, mostly just finishing touches and preventative maintenance.

I've been discharge testing my batteries and the 250Ah bank is performing like a 100Ah Duracell. Even compensating a generous 30% reduced capacity for weather (generous because the place is heated when I'm using them) they're still tired and disenchanted. I reckon I'll get another Summer outtov them as the sun's on the way back around and that's like another battery after March. I'm definitely retiring them come next September for a pair of 6v golf cart batteries. I've already got my 95mmSq link lead ready to go.

An interesting manipulation I discovered of Peukerts Equation is that doubling your battery size can in the right hands triple your capacity.
    This is possibly the last wiring diagram.

WrngDgm_zps5f13cb97.jpg

Complete charging system and battery monitor
    (remember those two spare cores I left on the trailer cable?...they're for the SmartGuage if I ever convince myself to get it).

The Real Life Version

DCLekyCupboardLabelled_zpsc3072d93.jpg
    Just in Case

FreExtgshr_zps3d49e1b9.jpg

Powder fire extinguishers suck, but it was only a tenner.
    If I find a CO² I'll put that in later.

I'm starting to have issue with the charging system being too good. hysteria.gif
    I have to turn the solar module off on occasion to prevent short cycling.

Ever notice how battery manufacturers never complete the first 10% of their DOD vs cycle life graph?
    Eg.

DOD-LIFECYCLES_zpsdebfa217.jpg

Well I thought I'd best complete if for them with my red marker :D

DOD-LIFECYCLEScomplete_zpsa2c0c3ae.jpg
    That's the bit they don't want you to see and they're willing to bet that if that's how you use your batteries then you won't notice either!
    Charging a battery at less than 10% DOD (and some argue 15% or 20%) is a very bad habit indeed. It creates lead dioxide clumps on the positive plates and can be detrimental.

The upshot of this is that with better batteries I'll have to discharge deeper before I ought to recharge, that and the lack of self-discharge I'm now used to living with won't be a factor. The easiest and cheapest solution is turn off the solar module until I need it. I can't see myself inventing a voltage sensing relay device with a rebulk charge set-point to selectively engage the module. whistling.gif

I thought it worth mentioning though for anyone thinking of using solar as a trickle charger on an idle battery. Any module in the ~40watt+ range is not a trickle charger at all (can't remember the exact figure but if it needs a regulator it's a proper charger)....sun comes up it'll charge before it floats.
    Now if your controller was programmable you could set a custom charge profile to complete charge at 13.6v which (i can't guarantee) might offset this...hmmm...maybe that's why low-end fixed algorithm charge controllers are set to pointlessly low set-points :confused:

• Advertisement

It's difficult to balance - I would like to put a panel on the van to trickle charge it, but then also when we're doing a few days in the same place, to have something to keep the batteries topped up...

Don't some of the controllers have the ability to switch between different charging programmes quite easily? You might have a programme to get the most out of the batteries - supercharging them, knowing that you will be discharging them soon, and another programme that kicks in at a lower voltage, allowing the battery to sit and discharge for a bit before recharging?

Am keeping my eye on the 80w kit on ebay (panel fits perfectly over the cab in the luggage rack) - I've convinced myself that I don't need a fancy charge controller for now and could try one of the cheaper ones...

Advertisement