Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bohemian Rhapsody (Freddie Mercury Biopic)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,568 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Ben Whishaw latest name attached

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

If its going to be a safe movie then it should not be done. Brian May tried to warn Mercury about his sexual lifestyle at one point as he had read about Aids and Freddie penned this response
    Is that really true? Never heard that before!

Any suggestion of a good biography to read while waiting for the film?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Mark Blake's Is This the Real Life?: the Untold Story of Queen, is probably the best.
    The worst - though it's probably long out of print - is Queen: As It Began, an official biography by Jacky Gunn and Jim Jenkins from twenty years ago. An incredibly badly written book that seems more interested in listing what format each single was released on than providing any insight other than the most innocuous anecdotes.
    Back on topic, I think Ben Whishaw is a good choice.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Iron Maiden, Dua Lipa, Billie Eilish (x2), Oasis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

I have Freddie Mercury The Definitive Biography by Lesley-Ann Jones.
    It was published in 2011 by Hodder & Stoughton.
    I'd recommend this book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Ben Whishaw latest name attached

He's now been confirmed for the role, with Dexter Fletcher directing:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a537082/ben-whishaw-to-play-freddie-mercury-in-biopic-dexter-fletcher-to-direct.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Meh, don't get why Mercury's illness is being ignored, especially given that the man himself was quite open about what he was facing (in the songs he wrote at the very least).

Just goes to show that Queen the brand is to be the main priority of this film, rather than making an honest tribute to the man. I'd surprised if this film is in any way risky, which is gas because I doubt the band were choir boys in their "formative years".

Not sure I approve of the fella from Press Gang as director

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Well, I wouldn't dismiss him on the basis of his breakout role. His directorial debut, Wild Bill, was a decent enough little film, and the producers have evidently got faith in him tackling the material the way they want it. However, while I think the casting of Whishaw is excellent news, I'm concerned that it's going to be a ridiculously sanitised version of the story.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Iron Maiden, Dua Lipa, Billie Eilish (x2), Oasis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,562 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Not sure I approve of the fella from Press Gang as director

dating yourself there Liz ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It really does seem like they're going to waste the opportunity to do something interesting with this in favour of going with a sanitised puff piece doesn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Sleepy wrote: »
    It really does seem like they're going to waste the opportunity to do something interesting with this in favour of going with a sanitised puff piece doesn't it?
    Well, Cohen says he left the project after clashing with one of the members of Queen over the film's direction:
    A member of the band – I won’t say who – said: ‘You know, this is such a great movie because it’s got such an amazing thing that happens in the middle.’
    And I go: ‘What happens in the middle of the movie?’ He goes: ‘You know, Freddie dies.’ ... I go: ‘What happens in the second half of the movie?’ He goes: ‘We see how the band carries on from strength to strength.’
    I said: ‘Listen, not one person is going to see a movie where the lead character dies from Aids and then you see how the band carries on.’

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Sacha Baron Cohen gave some interesting insights into his disagreements with the band on Howard Stern's show.

Apparently they wanted Freddie to die halfway through the film and for the remaining time to focus on how the band rises through the adversity of losing their singer. Christ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

I know this is an old thread but its a subject i have given thought to, I believe Eric Bana should be cast as Freddie. I think he would even be better than Baron Cohen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    Sacha Baron Cohen gave some interesting insights into his disagreements with the band on Howard Stern's show.

Apparently they wanted Freddie to die halfway through the film and for the remaining time to focus on how the band rises through the adversity of losing their singer. Christ.

Sounds more fitting of a movie about Queen, not so much Freddie though. Can't say I blame Cohen if that indeed is true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

If its going to be a safe movie then it should not be done. Brian May tried to warn Mercury about his sexual lifestyle at one point as he had read about Aids and Freddie penned this response

Not true as this song was written in 1979 and AIDS was first discovered in America in 1981.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

I adore Queen, but it ended when Freddie died.

Queen lasted about 20 years as a band, so making a movie where half of it is about what happened afterwards is daft and not what the fans want to see.

I'm afraid Cohen is right on this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Had to be Roger Taylor who said that.

You cannot have a sanitized film about Freddie Mercury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

It's sad. It would make for one epic movie in the right hands.

Agree about Roger. He's mega protective about Freddie which is understandable but come on... The cabaret they've done the last 20 years ain't doing much for his legacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

This would be incredible , made my Tuesday :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I don't understand why Cohen still didn't do it, every other movie he's been the star of has been a heap of sh!te.

• Advertisement

I don't understand why Cohen still didn't do it, every other movie he's been the star of has been a heap of sh!te.

Cohen never struck me as desperate and he seems smart enough. Like if he wanted he could be the British Sandler and make hay while making **** every year.

So I'd say he knew, under the right conditions, playing Freddy Mercury could be nearly oscar worthy. But under the wrong conditions, it would do more harm than good to his career and duly walked away. Just look at Kutcher playing Steve Jobs as an illustration.

Bryan Singer to direct Mr. Robot actor Rami Malek the latest rumour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

He could work as an earlier Freddie but not as a Wembley Mercury.

Not a big Queen fan but by god that concert was a master class in how to do it. He had the audience eating out of the palm of his hand. A genuine showman and a fantastic singer. Never seen any interviews with him but just an instantly likeable character. Amazing charisma.

Re the Cohen thing, Looks wise it would be a match. That doesn't translate to a good movie though. Dunno would he have the chops for it.

Cohen would have been a revelation, sad they couldn't work it out. Freddy's story is one of the last that shoukd be sterilised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

Agree with a story that should be told warts and all. As regards Cohen I wouldn't say he WOULD have been a revelation. He might have been but similar looking doesn't necessarily translate into a performance.

I'd rather see Freddie played convincley by someone whos not the image of him than someone who looks like him poorly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I don't think Malek or Singer are right for this. Based on what I've seen him in, Malek doesn't have the charisma. And Singer seems washed up these days.

Cohen would have been awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Bryan Singer??? That's a strange one.

Why?

I have said it before and I'll say it again, Eric Bana would be great as Fred.

Cohen would have been awesome.

Whenever it comes out it could be a disaster. Given what happened with Cohen and Brian/Roger it sounds like a big chunk of it will be about them overcoming the loss. Plus when you think of the shíte they've done in recent years it doesn't bode well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

wonder who'll play his irish boyfriend??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

anyone catch the docu-drama on channel 5 the other night?

is that the biopic that was rumoured?

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    anyone catch the docu-drama on channel 5 the other night?

is that the biopic that was rumoured?

Wait what? :eek:

It got panned.

If production values are anything to go by then, well......... :p

freddie-mercury-doc-ch5-3.jpg?w=620&h=413&crop=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

I thought the docudrama thing wasn't bad. The fella playing Freddie was pretty good despite the dodgy tash. The Brian May wig was laughable though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

I caught the end of it and whatever faults in it were...how shall I say...it was just so damn upsetting the way he spent his final weeks/days that the story just grips you regardless of any production issues.

I thought the guy playing Freddie was quite good actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,922 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Here's that channel 5 doc

https://youtu.be/ssgapPLhWbY

It's just going from bad to worse. :( He's shocking.

By the numbers casting and very much a vanity one. You can tell just how much May and co have their finger on the pulse on this one.

Imo Sasha Baron Cohen would of been good in the role as Freddie. He's looks like him and can sing too

• Advertisement

Rami Malek is meant to have talent vocally also but yeah Cohen would have been best for a no holds barred biopic on Mercury.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Sounds more like it's a Queen biopic (feat. Freddie Mercury). They could have kept control over the project & still made a great film about Freddie, Sacha Baron Cohen would have been perfect & given his all for it. I hope they don't mess it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

re talk of ethnicity washing could they not have found a a goofy iranian indian with an amazing voice

Does anyone else think that photo looks heavily editted?

I'm a music biopic nerd and please god I'll get too see this. Going to see Queen with Adam Lambert on vocals in November

I'd love too see biopics about these

Fleetwood Mac early days/ Stevie Nicks story
    Kurt Cobain
    Motley Crue The Dirt (rumours it's being made atm)
    Guns n roses early days

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I'm a music biopic nerd and please god I'll get too see this. Going to see Queen with Adam Lambert on vocals in November

I'd love too see biopics about these

Fleetwood Mac early days/ Stevie Nicks story
    Kurt Cobain
    Motley Crue The Dirt (rumours it's being made atm)
    Guns n roses early days

Would love a Bruce Springsteen biopic which James Mangold is very interested in

Would love a Bruce Springsteen biopic which James Mangold is very interested in

Oh yesss that would be nice

His early career is a great storie

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Oh yesss that would be nice

His early career is a great storie

Casey Affleck as Bruce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭dazberry

Brian May recently posted some stuff on his soap Box related to the movie, notably around a recreated Live Aid. He also posted the following...

427343.jpg

... and then you realise that the covers are not the originals but recreations using the actors... wow!!

D.

Wow, Reimi Malek has absolutely transformed into the role.

• Advertisement
Advertisement