Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish beef to lose out as UK open floodgates to Brazil

Options
  • 20-02-2019 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

Not looking good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Let fcuking bord bia and whatever other shower of penpushers start picking up the slack on British beef that won’t be exported to the eu whatever the tonnage it’s a start.
    Too long relying on the British market lazy marketing ah sure we always have the British market to bale us out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Larry will be ok though, he's got those Board Bia feedlots in Brazil so all will be ok. And as a bonus the UK supermarket can still get the Irish flag on the meat being sold

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Larry will be ok though, he's got those Board Bia feedlots in Brazil so all will be ok. And as a bonus the UK supermarket can still get the Irish flag on the meat being sold

I often wondered why English farmers didn't throw our beef into the Irish SEA the way we were undercutting their product to get in, they won't be sorry to see us gone at least

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Seem like no one's talking about it but What potential does the UK have to increase its own supply. Look at dairy here the last few years. Is it the restrictions from the environmentalists that would stop it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭kk.man

Seem like no one's talking about it but What potential does the UK have to increase its own supply. Look at dairy here the last few years. Is it the restrictions from the environmentalists that would stop it?

They are way off the mark in terms of self sufficiency.

Goodman and Co have plants in the UK so no worries for them. I forecast you will see the British customer becoming even more nationalistic after Brexit in support of their farmers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

wrangler wrote: »
    I often wondered why English farmers didn't throw our beef into the Irish SEA the way we were undercutting their product to get in, they won't be sorry to see us gone at least

The UK have aggressively pushed a cheap food policy for the masses since WW2. Farmers in the UK have been largely sidelined in favour of imports of agricultural produce from all over the world. In this the UK also benefited from Irish agricultural produce being easily sourced but also of a high quality.

I would like to see UK agriculture being given proper support by the powers that be - however to feed the approx 70 million people - they will still need to import the bulk of their agricultural produce. Looks like even cheaper markets with less than rigorous standards will be the flavour of the day once they crash out of the EU and tariffs increase

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

kk.man wrote: »
    They are way off the mark in terms of self sufficiency.

Goodman and Co have plants in the UK so no worries for them. I forecast you will see the British customer becoming even more nationalistic after Brexit in support of their farmers.

There will also be a huge resentment of anything Irish, they consider were being unreasonable over the backstop and really just dragging the **** out of this because we’re being stubborn ignorant micks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭alps

I says wrote: »
    Let fcuking bord bia and whatever other shower of penpushers start picking up the slack on British beef that won’t be exported to the eu whatever the tonnage it’s a start.
    Too long relying on the British market lazy marketing ah sure we always have the British market to bale us out

How can you possibly be too long relying on a market if 70 million people only 3 hours away by boat? A market that cannot meet its demand from its own resources, it would have rediculous to have been bypassing it.

UK is not leaving the EU without a deal.

Supermarkets in the UK are anal about quality and traceability. They are just the hint of a horse meat scandal away from irreparable damage to their good name and their client base. They will take no risks on quality.

Whatever posturing is left to play for over the next 6 weeks, and any extension of time thereafter, a deal will be done and Ireland will remain the significant food production site for UK food supplies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭kk.man

alps wrote: »
    How can you possibly be too long relying on a market if 70 million people only 3 hours away by boat? A market that cannot meet its demand from its own resources, it would have rediculous to have been bypassing it.

UK is not leaving the EU without a deal.

Supermarkets in the UK are anal about quality and traceability. They are just the hint of a horse meat scandal away from irreparable damage to their good name and their client base. They will take no risks on quality.

Whatever posturing is left to play for over the next 6 weeks, and any extension of time thereafter, a deal will be done and Ireland will remain the significant food production site for UK food supplies.

We can't do side line deals with a "third country" as per EU rules. Only the EU can make the deal and why should they do that?...make it easy for the next country to break ranks.Ireland will be exporting to the UK under world trade rules.

Me thinks It's intervention time for Irish beef. I'd love to own a cold store right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭older by the day

I know the time is slipping on. And the British politics system is going in to a right ****. But i still cant see that the be its will chance a no deal. Business wise it would cripple them. They might get cheaper beef from Brazil, but they need Europe to buy their expensive goods and services

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Not looking good.

The store trade will probably strengthen on this news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

It won't be anything to do with politically inspired backlashes or consumer choice. The UK will be desperate for trade deals and has far less leverage then it imagines.

In trade negotiations with the US, for example, agriculture will be a huge thing.

UK farming isn't that strong a political lobby domestically, so unfortunately, they'll be thrown under the bus and you'll see US and Brazilian etc etc products replace British.

From a UK point of view, they need urgent access for things like financial services, food exports are way way down the list of priorities. They're a major net importer of food.

It was a lot easier for British farmers within the EU. It's a huge bloc with very serious leverage in trade negotiations and the agricultural policies were driven by more farmer / producer focused countries like France, not by the Tories who like nothing more than hardcore market economics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭older by the day

Don't worry about it, do the best you can on your own farm, and educate the next generation to get a trade or a job. That way, if things get stuff they have options. We have a "end is near" neighbour here and every time you speak to him he would tell you "farming is finished". Shear we are all still tapping away. Fads come and go. There is a lot of backing for "fake food" at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

The loss of the British export market will severely hurt Irish agriculture, particularly the beef and sheep sector. However we must look at things from another perspective in that we are producing far far too much food here and it is being produced at a massive loss, only for CAP and Protectionism most farms would go. I myself favour leaving the EU and subsidising production for Irish consumption only.

We cannot compete with Brazil, I have been there just forget it, and Brazilian beef is every bit as good as Irish beef, we take a holier than thou approach to farming here. some of the he best land in the world is in Brazil, they have amazing weather and Ireland is just too high-cost and wet especially in the west to make a go of farming.

Irish farmers are injecting their sheep and cattle with tonnes of anti-biotics and chemicals, my father keeps wether lambs totally chemical free and they graze on heather in the hills and grass in the spring, totally different taste and flavour after the butcher kills one each year.

Brexit now should see the Government roll-out huge supports for afforestation for confiers and especially native hardwood species as post hard-brexit thousands of Western farmers will be finished but they still deserve the opportunity to earn money from their land. No-one gives a damn about Irish farmers and the Government and IFA are only concerned that the Goodman Monopoly can continue to strengthen its control across the various sectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Did that much heralded Chinese deal several years ago amount to anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

What tons of antibiotics and chemicals are farmers injecting their cattle with it, exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Did that much heralded Chinese deal several years ago amount to anything?

Cormac healy of the Mii said the beef is €2/kg in brazil, we've no hope of competing with that, is Brazil nearer to china than we are

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

wrangler wrote: »
    Cormac healy of the Mii said the beef is €2/kg in brazil, we've no hope of competing with that, is Brazil nearer to china than we are

Were way closer and we also have road links if not going by boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Were way closer and we also have road links if not going by boat.

I'd have thought it's about the same distance to China from both, don't the Chinese want higher quality than Brazilian beef?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

For exports I wonder why farmers don't concentrate more on premium beef.

Won't be able to compete on raw price but branding, marketing on quality should be the focus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Yea sorry my bad took it off track....I'm far from vegan.

What happened with the Brits and Dev didn't read the paper just noticed the headline...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,303 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

theguzman wrote: »
    The loss of the British export market will severely hurt Irish agriculture, particularly the beef and sheep sector. However we must look at things from another perspective in that we are producing far far too much food here and it is being produced at a massive loss, only for CAP and Protectionism most farms would go. I myself favour leaving the EU and subsidising production for Irish consumption only.

We cannot compete with Brazil, I have been there just forget it, and Brazilian beef is every bit as good as Irish beef, we take a holier than thou approach to farming here. some of the he best land in the world is in Brazil, they have amazing weather and Ireland is just too high-cost and wet especially in the west to make a go of farming.

Irish farmers are injecting their sheep and cattle with tonnes of anti-biotics and chemicals, my father keeps wether lambs totally chemical free and they graze on heather in the hills and grass in the spring, totally different taste and flavour after the butcher kills one each year.

Brexit now should see the Government roll-out huge supports for afforestation for confiers and especially native hardwood species as post hard-brexit thousands of Western farmers will be finished but they still deserve the opportunity to earn money from their land. No-one gives a damn about Irish farmers and the Government and IFA are only concerned that the Goodman Monopoly can continue to strengthen its control across the various sectors.

Jesus H Christ lad.

The use and abuse of antibiotics in Brazil is a major issue for them.

The idea of withdrawal periods for medicines before human consumption is completely ignored.

Growth hormones are abused like it was a Californian gym.

As for the environment, regulations or an eye to long term sustainability, all ignored.

It is already catching up with them but scale is there.

Your idea of closing a sector that directly/indirectly is responsible for 1 in 7 jobs here is a non runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The British people will be in for a price shock if they think Brazilian beef will solve their problems. Transport is a huge cost and that beef would have to be in refridgerated transport. Given that countries are making commitments to CO2 targets, sourcing your beef from Brazil is just not going to happen - all frozen beef, presumably defrosted for the shelf. The quality chain there will be terrible.

What sort of tariffs would be on live transport with the kill being done in Britain?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Coveney, fcuked up in every position he ever had, God help up if we have to depend on him.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Yea sorry my bad took it off track....I'm far from vegan.

Mod:
    Okay, I've split off the Off-topic posts to their own thread although it would have been easier to leave them and move the on-topic ones.....

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

I think if the uk flood their market with lets face it, low quality meat, then their own produce is just going to become unsellable outside of the UK.
    I can’t see them crashing out though, but we’re going to have to give concessions on the backstop or be out of the EU ourselves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Ah we’ll never be out of the eu but likely the backstop will be removed. Will be very embarrassing for the government if it does come to pass, and more then likely stir up trouble again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We’re only a stones throw from the border here and I spent my whole life crossing it both legitimately and on less legitimate forays.

I simply cannot fathom how the border will remain open between the six counties and ourselves.
    The old divisions are very real and very close to the surface, if a hard border is forced between NI amd U.K. the unionist will not tolerate that, isolating them from what they see as the mainland.
    Similarly nationalists will not tolerate ansix counties with a hard border to the republic.

I fear trouble isn’t far off.

If the U.K. access Brazilian beef will it be allowed into NI ? If it is I guarantee it will flow into the south in vast quantities polluting our food chain, hard border or not it would be a profitable run indeed.

Advertisement