Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parking bays and rights

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

billyhead wrote: »
    I forgot to say that the footapth is narrower then in the picture. Its the fact that the car is blcoking the view from the downstairs front room and also I need a space for visitors.

Well if you don't own the spaces and if those are your reasons then i think you have your answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,452 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Well we could insist that all houses must allocate some of their land to storing wheely-things ( of the two, three or four wheeled variety). Just like we could insist that all houses must include stables. But it really would be more wasteful overall and exacerbate urban sprawl.

Shared parking lets a group of houses use a smaller overall area for the parking than if every house has its own. Sharing is A Good Thing. But it does mean that sometimes you have someone else's car outside your house. First world problem and all.
    You'd be amazed how many people would make other plans and other decisions if they had to pay for the storage space for their car. In Japan, you have to prove that you have storage space on your own land or at your own expense before you can buy a car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭1874

endacl wrote: »
    You want two parking spaces you don’t have a use for left unused because you don’t use them?

Weird...

Well if they own them, nothing weird about that, whether they do or they dont and they are directly outside their property, then these problems that you run the risk of encountering would put me off being in a place like that,its disorganisation and a lack of concern in planning, bilk the customer and be damned the consequences, like the quality of life, and it is a quality of life need vehicle to get to work have to be hassled and inconvenienced to wonder whether some tool is going to block you out/in.

Its bad enough having a driveway and some tools will park right up to it, block you or simply have so many vehicles they seem to feel entitled to block up all access, Ive even read of threads of people parking in other peoples driveways, one reason given was because they dont have a car!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

You'd be amazed how many people would make other plans and other decisions if they had to pay for the storage space for their car. In Japan, you have to prove that you have storage space on your own land or at your own expense before you can buy a car.

Or you buy a kei car which doesn’t carry the same restrictions!

Marcusm wrote: »
    Or you buy a kei car which doesn’t carry the same restrictions!
    But it still has some restrictions, right?

https://www.reinventingparking.org/2014/06/japans-proof-of-parking-rule-has.html

This explains why it is no big deal that an exception is made (in some areas) for tiny cars or "kei" cars, which have yellow license plates. Owners of these little cars may not need to prove access to a parking space but they still can't park in the streets overnight!

Nobody can park on a street in Japan overnight. That’s clear when you are there. One of the reasons why i’ve Never rented a car there.

Ireland is not, however, Japan. We haven’t had the wholesale clearance of buildings throughout the country as occurred in Japan (not just Tokyo) in the mid 1940s followed by the reconstruction of the cities with broad planned roads, good public transport and lots of offstreet parking. Car ownership rates in Ireland and Japan are both in the 75-80% of households range.

Without broad clearances of the towns in Ireland, it is difficult not to allow the parking if private cars on public streets. What needs to be achieved is a lower density of such parking on trunk and bus routes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭MSVforever

doolox wrote: »
    ....in Adamstown and would be wary of buying there for that very reason.

If there are no walls and fences and gates and a clearly defined footpath to designate the border between private and common space then selfish, entitled people will drop their cars anywhere they feel like and the owner of the house can go swing for all they care.

The access roads are tiny and there does not seem to be any clearly defined marking between public and private space in the front of the houses in Adamstown so no way of guaranteeing you will get a space if you come home late and the noisy neighbours hold a party that night........

Are you talking about Alderlie or St. Helen's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yawn. I live in an inner city apartment with no parking, and have already have made such a decision. It was as much to do with the price of
    insurance as parking. But sometimes I do rent a car and do want to park it in my street.

And right now, my partner has a painful gash on his head because some a**hole bicycle user decided to use the footpath outside our place to store their vehicle, and the utterly predictable happened. So you can feck right off with the cyclo-vangelist preaching about car storage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Yawn. I live in an inner city apartment with no parking, and have already have made such a decision. It was as much to do with the price of
    insurance as parking. But sometimes I do rent a car and do want to park it in my street.

And right now, my partner has a painful gash on his head because some a**hole bicycle user decided to use the footpath outside our place to store their vehicle, and the utterly predictable happened. So you can feck right off with the cyclo-vangelist preaching about car storage.

He head butted the bike in rage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

And right now, my partner has a painful gash on his head because some a**hole bicycle user decided to use the footpath outside our place to store their vehicle, and the utterly predictable happened.

What happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Effects wrote: »
    What happened?

Something utterly predictable. So predictable that one could question how the injured party didn’t , you know, predict it and take the necessary steps to avoid it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Are we cyclist bashing?

One of the best moments of my life was sitting at a 4 way junction with a green pedestrian light all round. A cyclist blew past me at speed, nearly hitting a women crossing the road. While turning around, I assume he was going to give out the pedestrian daring to cross, he slammed into another cyclist mid junction who had also breezed through the red light at speed.

Both of them lying in a heap of the middle of the junction, loads of pedestrians and cars looking at them. Lights go green, cars drive around them and the pedestrians move on. It was beautiful sight.

Are we cyclist bashing?

No. Keep your stories for After Hours please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Effects wrote: »
    What happened?

Bicycle blown over in the wind so took up half the footpath.

Partner put the guitar case down by the door and took half a step backwards while getting his keys out. Tripped on the bicycle wheel, banged his head on something on the way down.

And yes, there was an empty bicycle rack on a wider bit of footpath 50m down the street. But that's just too far for a My Little Pony user to walk, apparently.

Car injuries in the 10 years I've known him, 0.

Bicycle injuries in the same time, 2. And one near miss when i pulled him out of the way of a deliveroo guy who ignored a red light.

All totally off topic for the OP .... 'cept i wonder how he'd feel about looking out on a bicycle rack instead of a car!

I wouldn't call that predictable! Sounds like your partner is just a bit clumsy.

• Advertisement

Will you be able to get an on street permit? Inner city I presume means high demand area which means no off street parking permits for apartment residents unless its a converted house.. If it's a purpose built block then your stuffed even if your particular unit does not have a parking space.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Partner put the guitar case down by the door and took half a step backwards while getting his keys out. Tripped on the bicycle wheel, banged his head on something on the way down.

I'm sorry that your partner banged his head, but if he walking backwards on a city street, there are any number of things he could injure himself on aside from bicycles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Ah here....worst excuse ever!!! Your partner mustve had a few too many ...great effort to be fair but can't believe you'd be so guallble ; )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

God forbid a cyclist would ever cause anything :rolleyes:

Untouchable.

Marcusm wrote: »

Without broad clearances of the towns in Ireland, it is difficult not to allow the parking if private cars on public streets. What needs to be achieved is a lower density of such parking on trunk and bus routes.
    It's not really that difficult at all, if we just putting our mind to it and getting motorists to start paying the real costs of motoring.

Like a lot of things in life, we don't all get what we want. I want someone to store my drum kit and my priceless collection of vintage movie memorabilia. Can I demand public space to store my private property too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,548 ✭✭✭✭L1011

This is not the forum for discussing public policy on parking spaces. Try Commuting & Transport

Advertisement