Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laws in relation to dogs on a leash in parks

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

Pkiernan wrote: »
    If all dogs wore muzzled in public there'd be no issues.

That should be the law, and it should be enforced by confiscation, large fine and potential euthanasia of the dog.

But as usual typical Irish scofflaws couldn't care less.

My elderly father was attacked by a St Bernard, a large, dangerous mastiff.
    Luckily by kicking it repeatedly in was able to get it to release him. The owner hadn't got the strength to stop it.
    Some onlookers actually complained to me about kicking the dog until i showed them the blood on my dad's arm.

With regard to the greyhounds in the OP, I'd have stabbed them if they want near my kids.

Mod note... User banned
    Sure you would

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭mattser

DBB wrote: »
    Mod note... As per the forum charter, Pkiernan has been permanently banned from the forum for advocating the (unlawful) killing of an animal.
    Thanks
    DBB

I didn't see an advocation of killing an animal. Perhaps you can enlighten us.
    It is absolutely proper to defend yourself or your children from attack by whatever ( reasonable ) means at your disposal.
    What's your moderation advice to the the situation the OP found themselves in ?

mattser wrote: »
    It is absolutely proper to defend yourself or your children from attack by whatever ( reasonable ) means at your disposal.

Here “That should be the law, and it should be enforced by confiscation, large fine and potential euthanasia of the dog”

And here “With regard to the greyhounds in the OP, I'd have stabbed them if they want near my kids.”

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I have had the same issue with dogs a number of times in my local park too and when it is discussed on our local park facebook group someone always says I am not telling the full truth :D
    Not sure why uninvolved third parties get so offended by the notion that some dog owners can be dicks. As with all of these things the vast majority of the guys who let their dogs off the leash are responsible cool people with the more visible minority being the problem.
    About 6 times in the last 2 years I have had to approach owners whose dogs were out of control. The one constant was the defensive attitude and the lack of an apology.

My little 3 year old used to love dogs but has now developed a real fear due to moronic owners.

Refreshing to see at least one mod has a sensible take on this issue.

volchitsa wrote: »
    No I'm not offended by it, and of course I know that not all owners are responsible (I've had a couple of run-ins with such owners myself) but I've seen so many OPs similar to this one started on here by people who rapidly turned out to have an agenda that I tend to be suspicious of a certain type of OP and thread.

Maybe that's unfair, and some of what the poster said does sound fair enough, so I'm not accusing them of doing this. Just explaining why I posted as I did.
    Probably as pointless as the post themselves says making a complaint would be, though so I'll leave it at that.

(Really sorry that your child has developed a fear of dogs especially if it's due to careless owners. Where I live I think that would be almost impossible as it just wouldn't be tolerated, but I know Ireland can still be quite lawless in many ways.)

Where do you live ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I have had the same issue with dogs a number of times in my local park too and when it is discussed on our local park facebook group someone always says I am not telling the full truth :D
    Not sure why uninvolved third parties get so offended by the notion that some dog owners can be dicks. As with all of these things the vast majority of the guys who let their dogs off the leash are responsible cool people with the more visible minority being the problem.
    About 6 times in the last 2 years I have had to approach owners whose dogs were out of control. The one constant was the defensive attitude and the lack of an apology.

My little 3 year old used to love dogs but has now developed a real fear due to moronic owners.
    Really well said, I am a dog owner and I do let my dog off the leash if open spaces, he is a french bulldog. But I follow him extremely closely I keep an eye out for kids buggies etc, and put him on leash if needed, I am pre-emptive he is excellent at stopping if I say, but I know not all people especially small kids are fans of dogs.

There are some bad dog owners, no doubt about it even in my local Park which is generally very good, one woman who runs with a German Shepherd that is utterly vicious it shouldn't even be off a leash and needs to be muzzled, I am terrified myself never mind a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Dogs should not run up to anyone, in a playful way or not. A large dog running towards a child can easily scare them.

I have a very small dog, and if I go on a walk during peak times you can be sure large off-lead dogs come bounding up to him. Usually they just want to play, but one bat of a large paw could hurt my dog. Owners just don't seem to care and just shout after "don't worry, he's friendly".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

If they were greyhounds there is a specific section in the control of dogs act

10.—(1) A person shall not permit a greyhound to be in any public place unless such greyhound is being led by means of a sufficiently strong chain or leash.

(2) A person shall not lead or cause or permit to be led by any one person more than four greyhounds at a time in any public place.

Basically they're a restricted breed that doesn't have to wear a muzzle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭denismc

The thing about greyhounds is they are hunting dogs and if they see a small dog running the hunting instincts can kick in and they will run it down with potentially fatal consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

denismc wrote: »
    The thing about greyhounds is they are hunting dogs and if they see a small dog running the hunting instincts can kick in and they will run it down with potentially fatal consequences.

Then they should never be off lead.

• Advertisement

alroley wrote: »
    Then they should never be off lead.

Read my post above

• Registered Users Posts: 37,647 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yep there are unfortunately plenty of bad and irresponsible owners of dogs.
    I'm in favour of having some sort of course and exam you have to do before you can own a dog.
    I currently have two and I'll let one off leash in a quiet place but he has good recall and doesn't stray. It's needs to be that way because there are people and plenty of kids out there who are afraid of dogs. Both of mine just want to love everybody but that's doesn't mean that everybody wants their love.
    I think all the responsibility rests with the dog owners to make sure nothing happens. The op shouldn't have to make any preparations to bring his child for a walk in the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Where do you live ?
    South west of France. Why?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

People can think what way they like about how they'd handle certain situations, but they're not going to use this forum to broadcast such thoughts if they're in breach of the forum charter. That includes stabbing dogs, under any circumstances.
    You're around long enough to know that arguing with a mod decision on-thread is a non-runner across the site.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭Quandary

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'm in favour of having some sort of course and exam you have to do before you can own a dog.
    I currently have two and I'll let one off leash in a quiet place but he has good recall and doesn't stray. It's needs to be that way because there are people and plenty of kids out there who are afraid of dogs. Both of mine just want to love everybody but that's doesn't mean that everybody wants their love.
    I think all the responsibility rests with the dog owners to make sure nothing happens. The op shouldn't have to make any preparations to bring his child for a walk in the park.

Same here. I've 2 big dogs, both young and exuberant. One is kept on the lead at all times around public places, the other is very obedient and stays beside me.

It's like most areas in life. You have small but very noticeable cohorts of inconsiderate selfish people who just don't care about how their self centred approaches to life affect other people. I see it every week with dog owners not controlling their dogs, not picking up their dogs poo, irresponsible road users, parents of unruly children, boy/girl racers disturbing the peace at 3am, the list goes on and on.

Some people will only understand immediate tangible consequences, and in this country we are severely lacking in consistent enforcement of our laws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Pkiernan wrote: »
    If all dogs wore muzzled in public there'd be no issues.

That should be the law, and it should be enforced by confiscation, large fine and potential euthanasia of the dog.

But as usual typical Irish scofflaws couldn't care less.

My elderly father was attacked by a St Bernard, a large, dangerous mastiff.
    Luckily by kicking it repeatedly in was able to get it to release him. The owner hadn't got the strength to stop it.
    Some onlookers actually complained to me about kicking the dog until i showed them the blood on my dad's arm.

With regard to the greyhounds in the OP, I'd have stabbed them if they want near my kids.

Mod note... User banned

I can't speak for other dogs but I'd likely end up like Saudi thief if I tried to put a muzzle on my fella. He'd eat your hand off if you tried as he doesn't like anyone touching his face.

I don't exactly love dogs myself but I've always had one not out of my choice but that being said I don't mind them.

I never let my dog off the leash as he just runs away. What annoys me is other people who do let their dogs off the lead in my local park as other dogs off the lead fight with mine so I've stopped walking there with my dog. There's a purpose built pen in my local park and yet people still won't use and let their dogs off in the rest of the park very inconsiderate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I can't speak for other dogs but I'd likely end up like Saudi thief if I tried to put a muzzle on my fella. He'd eat your hand off if you tried as he doesn't like anyone touching his face.

I don't exactly love dogs myself but I've always had one not out of my choice but that being said I don't mind them.

I never let my dog off the leash as he just runs away. What annoys me is other people who do let their dogs off the lead in my local park as other dogs off the lead fight with mine so I've stopped walking there with my dog. There's a purpose built pen in my local park and yet people still won't use and let their dogs off in the rest of the park very inconsiderate.

You have a dog whose face you can't touch? What are you going to do if ever a vet needs to examine his mouth / face?

Or indeed what are you going to do if a vet needs to examine any part of him and he doesn't want the vet to do that and snaps at him?

You do know dogs can be taught to accept a muzzle don't you? We did that specifically for potential issues like vet visits.

And in our case, she's not a dog who ever snaps or even growls usually, but who can tell for sure in stressful situations like when a dog is ill or injured? If you know in advance that the dog has issues with some forms of touching by humans, it's up to you to deal with that by training the dog adequately before anything happens.

volchitsa wrote: »
    South west of France. Why?

I was just asking out of interest, really. Fair play to people in your area for not allowing this nonsense.
    You are quite correct about the casual lawlessness in this part of the world. There is no appetite by the so called authorities to enforce dog laws.
    Any amount of money wasted on signage, but no enforcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

eagle eye wrote: »

I wish there was some sort of training potential dog owners had to complete. It is a great idea.

I have a husky and she is never off lead - her recall would be very bad with distractions so she is not allowed off lead at that is final.. she doesn't mind as she still gets to run and hike and gets lots of exercise. My other dog is a collie mix and he has great recall - I am training him now and let him off lead with a trailing lead for training- he is doing great and I want him to be able to run off lead with us. I think it depends on the dog and a good owner would want to protect their dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sounds like the typical Irish dog owner, zero training done. It's a big time investment that most seem to skim over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

So you dont love dogs, but you have one not out of choice?
    Why do you have a dog do you mind me asking is it for work or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Originally Posted by eagle eye

I disagree with this. I think in reality most owners are pretty good. But unfortunately it is the negative that we notice more. You could walk past 10 dogs and not noticed, but the 11th one barked or reacted in some way and then there is an issue with irresponsible dog owners and their lack of control - but a failure to recognise the majority that were under control.

OP, I think what you said in one of your later posts is the best option for you, continue to enjoy your walks and use the park and recognise that this is the first time it has happened in 2 years.

Also, while the owners maybe have not acknowledged what you said, it may still have an impact on their future behaviour.

I disagree with this. I think in reality most owners are pretty good. But unfortunately it is the negative that we notice more. You could walk past 10 dogs and not noticed, but the 11th one barked or reacted in some way and then there is an issue with irresponsible dog owners and their lack of control - but a failure to recognise the majority that were under control.

OP, I think what you said in one of your later posts is the best option for you, continue to enjoy your walks and use the park and recognise that this is the first time it has happened in 2 years.

Also, while the owners maybe have not acknowledged what you said, it may still have an impact on their future behaviour.

to borrow from a politician, half of dog owners are good :P

Advertisement