Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,336 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Funny Cow. A dark, dark northern British comedy starring a brilliant Maxine Peake. A great but difficult film.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Silly Cow. A dark, dark northern British comedy starring a brilliant Maxine Peake. A great but difficult film.

Sounds good, but can't seem to find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,777 ✭✭✭✭Basq

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Sounds good, but can't seem to find it.
    It's 'Funny Cow'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,336 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Basq wrote: »
    It's 'Funny Cow'

My bad, sorry. :rolleyes:

(I’ve edited the original post).

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭bunderoon

Basq wrote: »
    It's 'Funny Cow'

I couldn't help but read that in a Joe Pesci voice.
    I'm all the better for it since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,728 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

bunderoon wrote: »
    I couldn't help but read that in a Joe Pesci voice.
    I'm all the better for it since.

Like I'm a clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭acequion

I have my elderly mother staying with me and trying to find something to watch. Was thinking of The Crown as she likes the British royals. What do people think?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭budgemook

acequion wrote: »
    I have my elderly mother staying with me and trying to find something to watch. Was thinking of The Crown as she likes the British royals. What do people think?

The Butler with Forest Whitaker is one I recently watched in similar company.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I watched black 47 with a group of pensioners yesterday and they were ready to go to war after.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I was sorry I didn’t put on the Two Popes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭dougm1970

recommend me a good, but not obvious, prison or mob drama...please :)

Funny Cow. A dark, dark northern British comedy starring a brilliant Maxine Peake. A great but difficult film.

might try this...i like social dramas too...its got a look of a modern day saturday night sunday morning to it.

fair play for recommending it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

dougm1970 wrote: »
    recommend me a good, but not obvious, prison or mob drama...please :)

Avengement.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Metacritic only has 12 reviews logged so it's not really a proper sample size. Rotten tomatoes has 54 and the aggregate score is more in line with the audience one.
    Since it didn't get a cinema release, a lot of critics overlooked it - either unaware or, I suspect to a degree, pure snobbery.

Hopefully, word of mouth gets it the recognition it deserves.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Like I'm a clown.

Close. Like I've a sense of humor. Try it some time.

Who ever hurt you, tell someone. Don't bottle it up inside.

MaceFace wrote: »
    Avengement.

i seen that. and stuck with it...a few recognisable heads in it..few good fight sequences....but my god its bargain basement stuff...looks like it was made in a weekend with no budget.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,155 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

ixoy wrote: »
    Since it didn't get a cinema release, a lot of critics overlooked it - either unaware or, I suspect to a degree, pure snobbery.

Hopefully, word of mouth gets it the recognition it deserves.

It actually did get a cinema release, my local were showing it on the run up to Christmas. Netflix stuff definitely seems to get overlooked in terms of review quantity.

Thought it was brilliant. I live near toronto and vividly remember the case

Watching it now. Brilliant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It actually did get a cinema release, my local were showing it on the run up to Christmas. Netflix stuff definitely seems to get overlooked in terms of review quantity.

I sympathise here with critics because given the sheer volume of content, released at random intervals, it must surely be harder to stay current with steaming films, and picking the movies to review. Especially when, like Klaus, they can pop on the service without anyone knowing. At least a cinema will actually print its schedule front and centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

pixelburp wrote: »
    I sympathise here with critics because given the sheer volume of content, released at random intervals, it must surely be harder to stay current with steaming films, and picking the movies to review. Especially when, like Klaus, they can pop on the service without anyone knowing. At least a cinema will actually print its schedule front and centre.

I think also, especially with major films, critics are given a special screening or sent a copy in advance so reviews can go out the week of release - not so with Netflix films

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

Enjoying Lost in Spaces second season here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Downsizing
    Suburban couple Paul and Audrey decide to have themselves shrunk to tiny size and relocated to a miniature city where they can live in upscale luxury

Hot Gimmick: Girl Meets Boy
    A quiet teen's life is shaken up when she's forced to be her arrogant neighbor's slave. He loves her, but they both have a lot to learn about trust

Roman J. Israel, Esq.
    A savant-like civil rights defense attorney is faced with an enormous moral decision when his simple, ossified life is thrown into turmoil.

Social Animals
    While trying to salvage a failing business, improve her love life and embrace adulthood, a millennial stoner falls head-over-heels for a married man

Added

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think also, especially with major films, critics are given a special screening or sent a copy in advance so reviews can go out the week of release - not so with Netflix films

Netflix have gotten better with promoting their prestige fare - you certainly couldn’t avoid The Irishman, The Two Popes or Marriage Story.

Honestly, though, I think the responsibility is on Netflix for how much stuff gets lost in the crowd. They crap out so much #content it’s hard to keep track of, and it can be a bit of a surprise when something gathers the sort of viral momentum you see with Klaus or Fyre. Still, Netflix more or less dump a tonne of stuff on the platform - most of it dumped for a good reason, but also genuinely significant work like Atlantics too (which got a small cinema release in the UK at least). Even as someone who keeps an eye on the foreign and indie films being released on there, the algorithm just buries so much stuff there’s been a few that have snuck in with nary any fanfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Really enjoyed season 2 of You.

Can't wait to get stuck into The Witcher.

Word of mouth it's a dead ringer in type to Game of Thrones?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

seligehgit wrote: »
    Really enjoyed season 2 of You.

Can't wait to get stuck into The Witcher.

Word of mouth it's a dead ringer in type to Game of Thrones?!

Not really like GOT. Too cheesy and fantastical. LOTR might be a better comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I'm on episode 7 of the second season of You. I wasn't particularly looking forward to it, as the second book wasn't great at all, this is far better than the book though!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,777 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Binged the first season of You over the last day or two while sick (after giving up with it a few episodes in last year) and enjoyed it. It's fluff but enjoyable enough.

Will start season 2 tomorrow I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 31,968 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Don't f#ck with cats

Jesus Christ great watch...mad stuff...watch it without reading the background

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Im thinking a light to strong 9 on The Witcher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Not really like GOT. Too cheesy and fantastical. LOTR might be a better comparison.

Yeh I would not really compare it with GOT, its way more fun and doesn’t take itself too seriously. I really enjoyed it and looking forward to S2. I think it’s closer to a Hercules (the legendary journey) type show but just way better and much bigger budget you can appreciate. For enjoyment 8/9 out of 10.

Advertisement